The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't think she writes all that much anymore. I remember reading an interview with her a few years ago (unfortunately, I can't find it) in which she said it is harder for her to write these days simply because her life is different. That's not to say that she couldn't produce if she committed to making an album and had to have new songs to record.

I do find it kind of sad that Stevie seems to be in a creative rut right now while her bandmates Lindsey and Christine are having a renaissance of sorts. Lindsey, especially, is writing some amazing stuff these days.

Yes, Stevie just finished up a very successful tour (I credit The Pretenders with helping her fill the arenas, though), but she hasn't produced anything truly new in years.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it might be time for that book.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 01-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I don’t think Stevie writes songs these days....maybe bits of prose.

I also think that is the reason she did not wish to make a new Album
with Fleetwood Mac, she has no new material.

Sad, but that’s how it is.......unless, well, all she has to do is write with someone.
I think so too. At first I assumed she held out mostly because she and Lindsey clash in the studio and that in general, Lindsey-issues aside, she has never really loved recording with the band.
But now after thinking about all her most recent material and how practically none of it is actually new, I'm starting to think this was also a critical reason. She has her old demos yes, but she'd probably rather keep her favorites of those for any solo project (like 24 Karat Gold: The Sequel). So if she had participated, she most likely would have ended up giving them one of her 'whatever' demos and compared to Lindsey and Christine's new material that they cranked out, it wouldn't have looked so good.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
I don't think she writes all that much anymore. I remember reading an interview with her a few years ago (unfortunately, I can't find it) in which she said it is harder for her to write these days simply because her life is different. That's not to say that she couldn't produce if she committed to making an album and had to have new songs to record.

I do find it kind of sad that Stevie seems to be in a creative rut right now while her bandmates Lindsey and Christine are having a renaissance of sorts. Lindsey, especially, is writing some amazing stuff these days.

Yes, Stevie just finished up a very successful tour (I credit The Pretenders with helping her fill the arenas, though), but she hasn't produced anything truly new in years.
It’s only a “rut” if she’s trying to write and is frustrated with herself that she is not releasing music. We don’t know her mind-set. If she’s doing what she wants to do, she could be extremely happy, even if it means she’s not sharing whatever she is working on.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
It’s only a “rut” if she’s trying to write and is frustrated with herself that she is not releasing music. We don’t know her mind-set. If she’s doing what she wants to do, she could be extremely happy, even if it means she’s not sharing whatever she is working on.
I agree that Stevie Nicks is an incredibly happy and satisfied professional woman. She just wrapped a tour that she apparently called her best ever tour, period.

Stevie does not want to release NEW (not old demos, they don't count unless they are not on YouTube) songs. Does not want to release new music, period. SO pretty sure she has stopped even trying and does not write proper music anymore.

She may write lyrics but that would be about it in my summation. She doesn't have any new chords left to play with, period. Period. Just thought I'd say that again, PERIOD.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
We ALL change with time and age. Few of us over 45 are still pondering life and circumstances with the same perspective that we had in our 20s/30s. I can certainly understand her current state of output (or lack thereof). The older I get, the less frills that I need. Downsizing works for me these days.

That being said, it would have been fairly simple to put out a Fleetwood Mac record. There are numerous quality vault songs that have yet to receive a proper studio recording.

Record "Julia", "Space Needle", "Joan of Arc" and one new song and you've got Stevie's part of the album done.
I love love love Space Needle and Julia and Joan of Arc.

She should do that if she has any sense. Those three would all be perfect for Fleetwood Mac. And if "My Mother's Rings" is a true song, not a rumour started by a Ledgie (and I promise I didn't start the rumour) then she should do that too.

Is My Mother's Rings a true/real song? Do we know? I read it on Fleetwood Mac News in 2013. So?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
I love love love Space Needle and Julia and Joan of Arc.

She should do that if she has any sense. Those three would all be perfect for Fleetwood Mac. And if "My Mother's Rings" is a true song, not a rumour started by a Ledgie (and I promise I didn't start the rumour) then she should do that too.

Is My Mother's Rings a true/real song? Do we know? I read it on Fleetwood Mac News in 2013. So?
Yeah it is a real song.Stevie mentioned it in the Q&A she did at the screening of her IYD film that I attended at the Mill Valley film festival in 2012.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regardless of whether there is any new music written, I think we are due for some new product from Stevie, a retrospective again (after TimeSpace, Enchanted, Live in Chicago, and Crystal Visions) or a 24KG2.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I still think she may want to do the tribute album for her mom that she mentioned after her passing.
My gut also tells me that Tom Petty's passing could really be a kick in the pants for her....that's what he always said she was....a songwriter. She may see it as a way of honoring him.
I'm not ready to count her out yet.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Pretty sure she doesn't have a recording contract, which complicates the picture a bit. Wasn't 24KG a quick job to satisfy her last contract to produce a certain number of products within a certain time frame?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Pretty sure she doesn't have a recording contract, which complicates the picture a bit. Wasn't 24KG a quick job to satisfy her last contract to produce a certain number of products within a certain time frame?
It was.....but she's still getting "Courtesy of" credits for Reprise, the most recent being for the Charles Kelley duet in 2015, so maybe she reupped with them!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
It was.....but she's still getting "Courtesy of" credits for Reprise, the most recent being for the Charles Kelley duet in 2015, so maybe she reupped with them!
Clever observation! Let's hope for more music from her.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Has it ever been announced who her new publicist and/or FM's publicist is since Liz Rosenberg retired? So wish we could ask someone about new music/Stevie's writing. :-)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Has anyone tried Dave Stewart?

He Will Burn You Down
Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
I still think she may want to do the tribute album for her mom that she mentioned after her passing.
My gut also tells me that Tom Petty's passing could really be a kick in the pants for her....that's what he always said she was....a songwriter. She may see it as a way of honoring him.
I'm not ready to count her out yet.
I thought the same thing recently regarding Tom's death. I'm hoping she was inspired to go back into the studio.