Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Junior Ledgie

Question Go Insane or OOTC?

I have been wondering for a while what the majority of people's preference is between what are Lindsey's two most popular albums. Mine is forever Go Insane, but I was wondering what everyone else thought.... So which do you like better? Go Insane or Out Of The Cradle?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Out of the Cradle without the slightest hesitation! It's my favorite solo album. Every song is absolute perfection, and I can easily pick any song on the album and have it fit my mood to a tee. It's also my favorite Lindsey period. So gorgeous!
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTusked View Post
I have been wondering for a while what the majority of people's preference is between what are Lindsey's two most popular albums. Mine is forever Go Insane, but I was wondering what everyone else thought.... So which do you like better? Go Insane or Out Of The Cradle?
by what criteria are these 2 albums his most popular? don't think it's the sales?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
by what criteria are these 2 albums his most popular? don't think it's the sales?
Basically by what the fandom generally thinks. I honestly am in love with all of his solo stuff but these two seem to get most of the talk by what I've seen.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Go Insane is great, but I never got the impression it was one of his more celebrated works. I love it too though.

That said, OotC by a country mile. It's his masterpiece.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ootc

OOTC, his best. I agree, it is a masterpiece.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I became a fan with Go Insane. Because of that, it will likely always be my favorite. OOTC is definitely a close second!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Go Insane is great, but I never got the impression it was one of his more celebrated works. I love it too though.
I agree. I don't normally hear it discussed that way. I actually have been asked, and have seen the question asked, quite often on various social media sites, by people wanting to check out Lindsey's solo work, what album should they start with? OOTC seems to be the most popular answer, followed by either UTS or GOS. At least that's my perception.

Having said that, I love both albums, but I love OOTC more, and agree it's a masterpiece. I adore Go Insane, but it's not something I'd listen to regularly. Same with UTS. It's for my mellow moods, as opposed to playing it regularly.

Neither is my favorite LB album, though. That wold be SWS and GOS. If we count unofficial releases, GOS1 is a masterpiece as well, and that would actually be my very favorite album.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Go Insane is amazing, even with the most "commercial" songs (GI, SD), there's another interesting tracks in the album like I Want You, D.W Suite and Bang The Drum...

But OOTC is Lindsey's masterpiece. I don't care about rankings, but sometimes I don't understand why this album was not more successful. From the start to the end, is a very beautiful album, the most complete of all!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
But OOTC is Lindsey's masterpiece. I don't care about rankings, but sometimes I don't understand why this album was not more successful. From the start to the end, is a very beautiful album, the most complete of all!
it came out at the completely wrong time. plus although FM fans seem to think it was advertised a ton, i didn't see one commercial for it at the time. it came out at the height of the grunge era.

it sounds kinda timeless now, but i'm sure it sounded very dated and old-fashioned then.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Out Of The Cradle is Lindsey's magnum opus. Like Brian Wilson with Pet Sounds, the Beatles with Sgt Pepper, Pink Floyd with The Wall. Everything he's done since (IMHO) pales to it.

And, as with Brian Wilson & the never finished Smile project, it's just a shame we couldn't hear a finished version of what OotC's follow-up would've been instead of the tracks being changed & spread out over 3 or 4 subsequent albums.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
it came out at the completely wrong time. plus although FM fans seem to think it was advertised a ton, i didn't see one commercial for it at the time. it came out at the height of the grunge era.

it sounds kinda timeless now, but i'm sure it sounded very dated and old-fashioned then.
I'm not so sure. I don't think OOTC sounded dated or old-fashioned when it was released. It was highly praised and not slammed as too traditional, even if it was released at the height of the grunge area, which I would not know anything about.

I just know that even though it didn't sell as well as one would have expected, everyone who was talking about it was raving. It seems to me that it wasn't until several years later that people looked back and thought, "oh maybe songs like Don't Look Down or Countdown are a little too breezy." Although they may have been rather hooky even then, somehow the album as a whole still felt innovative and it wasn't just Lindsey fans that were salivating, critics were too. You'd have thought it would have done better, just because of the critical attention it received, but I guess it didn't move anyone to check out the guy who'd been out of the picture for awhile.

Michele
Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
And, as with Brian Wilson & the never finished Smile project, it's just a shame we couldn't hear a finished version of what OotC's follow-up would've been instead of the tracks being changed & spread out over 3 or 4 subsequent albums.
yes.

GOS1 (what we have of it, and imho) >>>>> OOTC.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't see a commercial for it, but it did get more media attention than I thought it would.

MTV played the video for 'Wrong' at a time when they weren't playing a lot of artists who had been around awhile.

VH-1 showed the videos from OOTC a LOT! At some point, Lindsey was even the VH-1 Artist of the Month. They had the Center Stage concert on VH-1 also and repeated it quite a few times.

I was happy with all of that! I was in college at the time and there was a big TV down by the cafeteria. I'd get downstairs early and turn it to VH-1 so I could (hopefully) catch an LB vid before class. With all the promo attention from VH-1, people I knew Finally knew who I was talking about when I said my fave artist was Lindsey Buckingham!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Out Of The Cradle is my favourite album, one of my favourites ever. Not many albums can stand its double quality: a marvellous instrumental composition and its beatiful song lyrics.
Textured with accuracy, quirky in its way, Lindsey had perfectioned what he did on Go Insane. As guitarist myself, I was fascinated by Lindsey's role as axeman in his own compositions, it amazed me. Every single song, shows various moods, various intentions, regrets, a whole world in words and notes.
If I had to pick an adjective to desribe this masterpiece I would use: baroque.

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "