User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Js...

What I meant was, there are other things besides love in the world....there is hate, racism, ignorance...etc. I didn't mean it as life shouldn't be about love. Of course we should all love one another!!

What we need is a tone button for our messages. LOL
Old 06-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I didn't mean it as life shouldn't be about love. Of course we should all love one another!!
Oh no, I didn't think you meant it that way... I was just trying to say that, one way or another, pretty much everything is born out of love in some way or another.

Wars, racism, hatred... that kind of stuff is born out of pride, which itself is a warped form of self-love.

So I didn't mean it to sound like I took your comments to mean we shouldn't all love each other... I was just commenting that love (of one kind or another) is pretty much the basis for all of our actions in life.
I should have given a broader idea of what I meant, in my first post.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 06-09-2004 at 08:19 PM..
Old 06-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Maybe Lindsey took a page from Stevie and her 'Songs of Rhiannon,' for his 'Songs of the Greek Gods'?
I found the former a tiresome theme and I find the latter somewhat of an eye-roller as well, but hey, Red Rover is a brilliant song regardless.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Js...

I gotcha. LOL I was just sayin', there are other things to sing/write about than love. Lindsey, writing songs about death, Greek gods, Mr. Murrow, etc. are just other ideas.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:44 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Theme

Why does he need a new theme? I don't read into those songs as being 100% about Greek gods, anyways. I'm ready to hear something besides "I'm saying goodbye to you, Stevie, I'm going my way, why don't you go your own way oh and by the way, I know I'm not wrong!!"

Contrary to popular belief, he's had other issues in his life.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Yeah, just because the Rumours-era FM once wrote an album full of songs about each other doesn't mean that they've always been writing themselves. No disrespect to the BN.net board and its posters but I'd rather imagine that the songs are random thoughts coming out of thin air and then they're assembled together by the artist. Even Lindsey said, back in the day, that the artist has to seriously struggle for what seems simple to others.

Music, and the way it's performed, can express a lot more than just 'em lyrics.

Ok, I'm just as clueless as the others in matters like these.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-10-2004, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
This from a man who corrected Stevie on not maintain consistent second-person tense?
Good point. I'm not sure it makes him hypocritical though. I'm always getting on people at work for using passive voice too much, but that doesn't mean I don't ever use it. When I do, it's very, very rare though. Doesn't make me hypocritical. I use it when it's called for (<----like here).
Old 06-10-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
So not only Peacekeeper, but MURROW! Folks, this catch all answer cannot be applied so specifically to one song but not others. I frankly think this is purposefully vague so that he doesn't have to tell us what these songs are REALLY about - which, of course, is his right. I just wish he'd be more straightforward about it.
Hmm... Murrow seems to be a stretch. I just can't imagine the gods sitting on Mount Olympus pondering the state of TV news.

Be that as it may, I definitely see a connection to the gods on Shuffle Riff. Lindsey even uses the "someone's gotta change your mind" line. So I think it's quite possible that he set about writing a series of songs from the gods' perspective. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt on Murrow, then we have:

Murrow
Peacekeeper
Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
Red Rover
Shuffle Riff

Is it possible he was going to have a theme for the album. Does the song Gift of Screws also fit? I've always seen that song as somewhat political as well.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I imagine that, like all good writers, the theme of the Greek gods looking down on us was Lindsey's starting point, but that the songs then took on a life of their own as he wrote... which would explain why we can have such wildly different interpretations, all of which have equal merit.
This is entirely plausible.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Why does he need a new theme? I don't read into those songs as being 100% about Greek gods, anyways. I'm ready to hear something besides "I'm saying goodbye to you, Stevie, I'm going my way, why don't you go your own way oh and by the way, I know I'm not wrong!!"

Wait - you don't want him to get a new theme, you just want him to stick with a current theme that's not Stevie? And yet you like the songs you named, don't you? I get a lot more moved by songs inspired by private emotional struggles than I do about songs inspired by Zeus and Hera - even if that personal inspiration is :: gasp :: Stevie. And I'm convinced Red Rover is about her. (Just kidding about that last part, folks lol)

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-10-2004 at 03:09 PM..
Old 06-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Yeah, just because the Rumours-era FM once wrote an album full of songs about each other doesn't mean that they've always been writing themselves. No disrespect to the BN.net board and its posters but I'd rather imagine that the songs are random thoughts coming out of thin air and then they're assembled together by the artist.
Gaius, you've brought up the BN.net board in three recent posts. Has it so dominated your thoughts?

Old 06-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
I get a lot more moved by songs inspired by private emotional struggles than I do about songs inspired by Zeus and Hera - even if that personal inspiration is :: gasp :: Stevie.
Nancy, as a sidenote I'd like to ask; does your awareness of a particular song's background make you connect with it more then?

Old 06-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gaius, you've brought up the BN.net board in three recent posts. Has it so dominated your thoughts?
I was just reading those huge arguments in that certain concert review and the Town&Country magazine thread and was pretty much spooked out by those. So to answer your question, "damn right it has".

Old 06-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Nancy...

Quote:
Wait - you don't want him to get a new theme, you just want him to stick with a current theme that's not Stevie? And yet you like the songs you named, don't you?
I do love those songs, sure. Although, my two fave songs of his and of all time, ISA and Red Rover, aren't about love and breakups, directly. I can't identify with love songs, I've never been in love. I don't connect with those songs, but that doesn't mean I don't love them to death.

Yeah, if I had to say so, I prefer he do non-Stevie directly songs these days.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Good point. I'm not sure it makes him hypocritical though. I'm always getting on people at work for using passive voice too much, but that doesn't mean I don't ever use it. When I do, it's very, very rare though. Doesn't make me hypocritical. I use it when it's called for (<----like here).
A little different, do you agree? There's nothing technically wrong with passive voice - it's only less effective because of its displacement or sometimes total omission of an actor. "Mistakes were made" lol. On the other hand, not maintaining [embarrassing previous typo in my last post BTW] a consistent person does disobey the laws of traditional narrative! And if Lindsey decides to be non-traditional, he shouldn't seem so puzzled that Stevie chooses to do so. (And he did seem puzzled to me, at least. "Why isn't Stevie understanding my point here? Bob Dylan? As if!")