Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Primal Scream and Linda Thompson cover Over&Over

Primal Scream announce new album, Beautiful Future

Story by Jack Foley

PRIMAL Scream have announced details of their latest album, Beautiful Future, their ninth studio album and their first for B-Unique.

The bulk of the album was produced by Björn Yttling [Peter, Björn and John] and Paul Epworth (Bloc Party), including the first single Can’t Go Back, which is out on July 14th.

The album features guest collaborations from Lovefoxx of CSS, Josh Homme from Queens Of the Stone Age and folk legend Linda Thompson.

The band promise a heady mix of genre crunching on the new album, taking in Philly soul, dark electro, accelerated rock ‘n’ roll riffs and pure British pop – all with that particular Scream edge.

Frontman Bobby Gillespie explains: “If you hear this new record of ours from start to finish and you hear all the different sounds and styles and moods, atmospheres and instrumentation that we use, it’s different from the last record and different from the record before that.

“You know, there’s not one set Primal Scream song where it’s verse-bridge-chorus-middle-eight. But this album is more like a pop record, more like classic songwriting.”

Highlights look set to include the single, Can’t Go Back, which is the
kind of high energy rock ‘n’ roll the band excel at, all kinetic drum beats
and scuzzy guitar riffs, everything moving at methamphetamine rate.

Elsewhere, there’s a duet with CSS’ Lovefoxxx, called I Love To Hurt (You Love To Be Hurt) and a duet of Fleetwood Mac’s Over And Over with legendary British folk singer Linda Thompson.

Queens Of The Stone Age’s Josh Homme contributes guitar to the album’s closing track Necro Hex Blues.

London fans can catch Primal Scream and hear new tracks at their June 25 gig at the Royal Festival Hall, while they’re also playing Hop Farm on July 6 and T In The Park on July 13.

Beautiful Future will be released on July 21, 2008.

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Music-R...autiful-future
Old 06-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Linda Thompson is one of my very favorite vocalists - can't wait to hear that cover - thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This open-door policy has led to some interesting collaborations, among them the presence of Kevin Shields as guest guitarist and noise-mangler over several years, the My Bloody Valentine leader belying his reputation as procrastinating and unproductive by his close involvement with the band. Guests on Beautiful Future include Queens of the Stone Age's frontman Josh Homme, the folk singer Linda Thompson and Lovefoxxx from CSS. Homme features on the thumping rocker Necro Hex Blues, which was built up over samples of Homme and Innes jamming together. Lovefoxxx duets with Gillespie on I Love to Hurt (You Love to Be Hurt), the album's most electronic track. Thompson adds her vocal to a pretty cover version of the Fleetwood Mac song Over and Over.
So, with a Fleetwood Mac cover underlining the band's new pop sensibility, where did this sound come from? Was it a deliberate strategy? "We're not in the business of repetition. We like to experiment," Gillespie says. The band had finished touring their previous album, Riot City Blues, in December 2006 and reconvened in the studio in January 2007 to start work on the songs that would eventually become Beautiful Future. After about six weeks, Gillespie began to notice a new direction emerging.

"I realised that Andrew was playing guitar completely differently (from how) he ever had before," he recalls. "It was more precise and machine-like. He started playing these choppy, angular licks. Almost severe." Then the Primal Scream chemistry happened. "From what Andrew was doing, the drummer started playing differently, then Mani started playing bass differently and I started thinking about melodies differently. Basically everything changed because of a slight shift in the way Andrew played guitar."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-16947,00.html
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default taken from an interview with Primal Scream

How did you get the collaborators on board?

We're always up for collaborations because you never know what you can learn from other people.
We thought Linda Thompson would be perfect for the Fleetwood Mac cover. The song as Fleetwood Mac did it just sounds like a Primal Scream song. It's got that narcotic, laid back kind of thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7463090.stm
Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IF WE told you that the ninth studio album from Primal Scream boasted collaborations with Lovefoxxx of CSS, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and folk legend Linda Thompson, you’d probably have some idea of how diverse the album is.

Beautiful Future is an eclectic mix of Philly soul, dark electro, accelerated rock ‘n’ roll and pure British pop. In other words, it’s the sound of Primal Scream at their playful best.

Produced by Bjorn Yttling (of Peter, Bjorn and John) and Paul Epworth (of Bloc Party), it’s an album that unfolds at a cracking pace and revels in its ability to keep listeners on their toes. Opening salvo and title track Beautiful Future sets the standard in effortless fashion, fizzing its way through some upbeat lyricism, handclap beats, chiming melodies and an emphatic chorus that really does feel like a party starter.

It’s immediately followed by the high energy rock ‘n’ roll mix that is former single Can’t Go Back, a euphoric mix of kinetic drum beats and scuzzy guitar riffs that really is invigorating. Bobby Gillespie’s vocals provide the perfect accompaniment, imbuing it with very definite Primal Scream sensibilities, but also a wider appeal.

Uptown, meanwhile, comes over all Philly Soul with some falsetto vocals and a slinky back beat to add a sleaker vibe, The Glory Of Love is pure pop – cheesy, infectious, fun.

There’s a certain amount of controversy surrounding the central vibe behind Suicide Bomb, a down and dirty rock and roll fix that drops the incendiary chorus: “I’m going off like a suicide bomb.” The song is actually about hedonism and references drinking binges and the fast pace of modern life, but it could put some noses out of joint.

Zombie Man is a rousing blend of rock and gospel that’s energetic (check out the slide guitar), while Beauitful Summer has a dusky, neo-psychadelic feel that creates an almost BRMC haze.

The album changes pace, once more, for I Love To Hurt (You Love To Be Hurt), a top notch collaboration with CSS’ Lovefoxxx that drops a lively electro pulse, before slowing things down for the chilled out Over & Over, a blissful collaboration with Linda Thompson that marks a worthwhile cover version of the Fleetwood Mac original. It’s a nice piece of comedown music.

Josh Homme’s punchy guitar is then evident throughout final track Necro Hex Blues, which brings things to an explosive finale. All in all, then, a barnstorming ninth album from the Primal Scream boys.

Download picks: Beautiful Future, Suicide Bomb, I Love To Hurt (You Love To Be Hurt), Over & Over, The Glory of Love

Track listing:

Beautiful Future
Can’t Go Back
Uptown
Glory Of Love
Suicide Bomb
Zombie Man
Beautiful Summer
I Love To Hurt (You Love To Be Hurt)
Over And Over
Necro Hex Blues
Glory Of Love [single version]

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Music-R...autiful-future
Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Over and Over is up on Primal Scream's MySpace page. Lovely and low key with Linda.
http://www.myspace.com/primalscream
Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Linda Thompson: Primal Scream rocker Bobby GIllespie is cuddly
Jul 27 2008 Edited By Mickey Mcmonagle And Heather Greenaway

ROCK wildman Bobby Gillespie is a "teddy bear" at heart according to the Scots folk singer who duets with him on his latest album Beautiful Future.

Linda Thompson says she expected madness and mayhem when she went to cover a Fleetwood Mac song with the Primal Scream frontman but instead got a cuddle.

The Glasgow-born singer, 60, said: "Bobby has a bit of a reputation as a wild one but he's just a lovely warm man any mother would be proud to call their son.

"I instantly fell in love with him and kept giving him big cuddles. I met the boys in their studio in London's Primrose Hill and there was no mayhem. The wildest thing we did was have a cup of tea.

"He and I are kindred spirits. He's the wildman of rock and in my day I had a reputation as the wild woman of folk."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/lifestyl...8057-20672467/
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New Zealand Herald Interview with Bobby Gillespie

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/15...ectid=10524061

How did the cover of Fleetwood Mac's Over and Over come about?

We wanted to do a version of it, 'cause it felt good to sing. We also thought the melody was really Scottish. It's got that beautiful melodic lilt to it. So we recorded our own version, which is a bit more broken and fractured.