The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Perhaps this should be merged with thread on the Pre-Rumours board?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Part of me is definitely cheering on Wendy for standing up for Bob's legacy, and for pushing back at the Rumours crew for their elitist nonsense. As many of us know, everyone from Bob to Judy Wong & Ken Caillat have been/were frozen out of contact with the Rumours folks. But the other part of me is thinking Wendy should do her dirty laundry outside of the public/fan's eyes. I know she's grieving over the tragic death of her husband, but I'm not sure Bob would have wanted to get into the RRHOF through public guilt & bullying.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 03-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: merging/moving the thread
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I wonder if all about this will be detailed in Mick's new book
I'm sure he will write about it, but I don't think we'll get the honest story.

Michele
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I am confused - were the Rumours lineup the only members of Fleetwood Mac to get inducted? For some reason, I believed it was all of the former members.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 03-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I guess I am confused - were the Rumours lineup the only members of Fleetwood Mac to get inducted? For some reason, I believed it was all of the former members.
No. Just Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan. Peter Green was with the band during the induction, but played "Black Magic Woman" with Santana.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No. Just Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan. Peter Green was with the band during the induction, but played "Black Magic Woman" with Santana......
...whose original lineup also was inducted that evening.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
No. Just Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan. Peter Green was with the band during the induction, but played "Black Magic Woman" with Santana.
It's like they induct lineups versus the whole band or individual members of the band. Jeremy and Danny got inducted while Bob Welch didn't. For that matter neither did none of the Post-Rumours members.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, guys, for the clarification. It makes sense to me that Billy and Rick and Dave and Becka were excluded.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And how about Bob Brunning (the very first bass player, what if John MacVie would have rejected all along?) and Bob Weston?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know why it's so important. The HOF has become a joke. Recent inductees are either acts should have been inducted YEARS earlier or acts that have little to do with rock, and the list of acts that still haven't been inducted is pretty amazing. And really, that moment for Fleetwood Mac passed 15 years ago. Bob wasn't included. Inducting him now won't change that.
It's actually called the Rock and Roll HOF. Peter, Jeremy and Danny (in his early FM days) were no R&R but BLUES!!!. So they should not have been inducted here but surely in a Blues HOF.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks, guys, for the clarification. It makes sense to me that Billy and Rick and Dave and Becka were excluded.
Billy and Rick should have been inducted, too. They were in the second most successful version of Fleetwood Mac. "Behind The Mask" is the best selling Fleetwood Mac album outside of the Buckingham era. That was also the second longest running version of the band, and Billy was the longest tenured guitarist after Lindsey Buckingham. Sure, the only reason people paid attention was because it was the Rumours band minus Lindsey. But then again, the only reason people paid attention to Jeremy or Danny was because they were in Peter Green's band.

At a minimum, it should have been Mick, John, Christine, Stevie, Lindsey, Peter, Jeremy, Danny, Welch, Burnette, and Vito.

Mason, BTW, was inducted as a member of Traffic, which was very appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
And how about Bob Brunning (the very first bass player, what if John MacVie would have rejected all along?) and Bob Weston?
Brunning by his own admission was a temp, and said something along the lines of it being a stretch calling him a member of Fleetwood Mac. I doubt the band would have lasted as long without John McVie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
It's actually called the Rock and Roll HOF. Peter, Jeremy and Danny (in his early FM days) were no R&R but BLUES!!!. So they should not have been inducted here but surely in a Blues HOF.
"Then Play On" and "Kiln House" are not blues albums. "Albatross", "Man Of The World", and "The Green Manalishi" are not blues songs.

Anyway, a look at past inductees shows that, as far as the Hall is concerned, rock and blues are pretty much the same thing. There are country and jazz artists in there, too.

BLUES
Hank Ballard
Bobby “Blue” Bland
Charles Brown
Ruth Brown
Leonard Chess
Willie Dixon
Buddy Guy
John Lee Hooker
Howlin’ Wolf
Elmore James
Etta James
Little Willie John
Robert Johnson
Louis Jordan
Albert King
B.B. King
Freddie King
Leadbelly
Little Walter
Jelly Roll Morton
Ma Rainey
Jimmy Reed
Bessie Smith
Big Joe Turner
T-Bone Walker
Muddy Watters
Jimmy Yance

JAZZ
Herb Alpert & Jerry Moss
Louis Armstrong
LaVern Baker
Charlie Christian
Miles Davis
Billie Holiday
Dinah Washington

COUNTRY
Chet Atkins
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
Floyd Cramer
Jimmy Rogers
Hank Williams

BLUEGRASS
Bill Monroe

FOLK
Woody Guthrie
Pete Seeger

AND, OF COURSE...
Ray Charles (the ultimate cross-over artist, but not necessarily a rock-n-roller)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry to say this but why didn't they do anything when Bob was still alive?? They were inducted in 1998, he passed in 2012, that's 14(!!!) years later. Enough time to start petitions, contacting Mick, air dirty laundry about Christine etc. I understand that they want him inducted (I was very surprised he wasn't) but if Bob was so eager about it, why didn't he do anything about it himself? Or did he? BTW, on Mick's Facebook page a certain Gary Strade says that Lindsey signed the petition and commented that Bob should've been inducted alongside him... I don't know that I believe that.... He also posted the same thing on Fleetwood's on Front Street page. It's mostly him and Wendy Welch.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
BTW, on Mick's Facebook page a certain Gary Strade says that Lindsey signed the petition and commented that Bob should've been inducted alongside him... I don't know that I believe that.... He also posted the same thing on Fleetwood's on Front Street page. It's mostly him and Wendy Welch.
Yeah, I question the reliability of that information, too. I'll bet Lindsey had no trouble with Bob as a person, but I can't imagine him expending any energy in support of Bob's cause. In fact, I saw Lindsey about 24 hours after the announcement of Bob's suicide and he said nothing in his show. Not a peep. By that point, Stevie had already made a public statement. And a day later, Mick made his. It is possible Lindsey didn't know, but I highly doubt that.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yeah, I question the reliability of that information, too. I'll bet Lindsey had no trouble with Bob as a person, but I can't imagine him expending any energy in support of Bob's cause. In fact, I saw Lindsey about 24 hours after the announcement of Bob's suicide and he said nothing in his show. Not a peep. By that point, Stevie had already made a public statement. And a day later, Mick made his. It is possible Lindsey didn't know, but I highly doubt that.
I don't think Lindsey didn't/doesn't have a problem with Bob being inducted but I highly doubt he actually signed that petition. Anybody can make up an email address, sign his name and pretend to be him. I think he knew Bob had passed (someone mus have called him), maybe he just didn't know what to say.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wendy says on her Facebook page that Lindsey said a few years back that Bob should be in the RRHOF and she appreciated that, so that's in keeping with him signing a petition to that effect.

Michele