User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Discussion of Soundstage songs

SGCYM - O....M....G. If he tours, he has GOT to do this one!! Amazing!! What an opener! I cannot wait to SEE him sing it. It translated so well!!

Trouble - I LOVE IT!! It's way better than the OOTC Centerstage version. I love what he did at the end.

Big Love - Wish he had done a solo song in place of this, but it's always a mindblower.

Go Insane - This one is always spec-friggin-tacular. Good to hear it after a drought.

DOR - LOVE IT!! Wierd to hear him say the title!! Hee!! I think I like this better than the GOS version! Glad he cut out that "Can you hear me Annie?" crap. LOL I like the na-na's.

Peacekeeper - Wow, sounds so different from the SYW tour! Sounds cool stripped down, but I will always prefer the solo version.

Red Rover - This song is just amazing. I'm glad it got a great reception. It's such a difficult song to sing, I would imagine, but he nails it every freakin' time. That deep voice saying Red Rover gives me the willies. LOL

NGBA - Briefly. LMAO!! Wierd song to choose to have her sing on. She doesn't do much. Yikes with the pleghm.

Say Goodbye - Her singing Frozen Love was frickin' awesome! Wish they would have sung the whole thing a capella! Say Goodbye makes me cry. Amazing. They always sound flawless.

Murrow - I liked parts of it, but didn't care for the solo (I know, I must be on crack, right? It's identical to ISA in parts. ). I'm really iffy on this, glad he didn't do it on the SYW tour. Wish he had a more cohesive solo.

GYOW - I've never cared much for this live...and this version didn't help things any. LOL Wish he would have cut Murrow and GYOW. They should have left in SMAP for a finale and perhaps for a barnburner, oh, I dunno...ISA or even....Come.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
[B]
DOR Glad he cut out that "Can you hear me Annie?" crap. LOL I like the na-na's.
LOL. That's funny because I was in dreaded anticpation as I was listening to him sing it, praying that he would not sing that part. So glad he left that one out.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 09-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:

SGCYM - O....M....G. If he tours, he has GOT to do this one!!

Peacekeeper - Wow, sounds so different from the SYW tour! Sounds cool stripped down, but I will always prefer the solo version.

Say Goodbye - Her singing Frozen Love was frickin' awesome! Wish they would have sung the whole thing a capella! Say Goodbye makes me cry. Amazing. They always sound flawless.
I just downloaded the audio from Nancy's site today - huge thanks to Nancy and Brian who ripped it! - becaue it doesn't run on my PBS station til October. But I am LOVING it. I agree with what you said above... and here are my stand outs:

Trouble: I never really loved this song. Until now. It is brilliant done accoustically.

DOR: One of my favourite Londsey songs ever. I would die to see it live. This makes me hopeful it will end up on the final Fleetwood Mac album, if that ever happens.

NGBA: I have to disagree with you here. I never cared one way or another for this song UNTIL I saw it during the SYW tour. The addition of Stevie's harmonies completely changed this song for me. It's now one of my classic favourites. I listen to it live all the time - and I think this version is fabulous.

Frozen Love: oh, to die. Oh, to hear the full version of this live today...

Murrow: Holy crap - this version is amazing.

And I'm always a sucker for GYOW.

Question for the people who were lucky enough to be at this taping: Did you all know Stevie was going to show up? Or was it a complete surprise? I started coming to The Ledge just after this was taped, so I don't remember...

Anyway - overall, I just can't believe it took them so frickin long to get this on the air. I'll be buying the DVD for sure.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
SGCYM Red Rover - This song is just amazing. I'm glad it got a great reception. It's such a difficult song to sing, I would imagine, but he nails it every freakin' time. That deep voice saying Red Rover gives me the willies. LOL
this is the song i most look forward to seeing him do...thank you for providing your take songxsong...makes me really want more.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Hmmmm...

SGCYM The second best performance of the show...Sounded great in the live environment. Would have preferred this track over some of the songs used on the 2003-2004 SYW tour.

Trouble Average sounding to me...

Big Love Another average performance...

Go Insane Best performance of the set IMO...Like the slower pacing compared to previous acoustic versions, His voice fit the slower pacing too.

DOR Someone posted that the mix was off...Hate to have to admit I agree with 'em...Sounded off to me.

Peacekeeper Would have been great if Brett would not have played the flown-in those annoying processed Lindsey effected backing vocals on the Korg...

Red Rover Best live version I have heard, Since it is the ONLY known version (Thus far) that was professionally recorded during 2003-2004

NGBA Average, Nuthing to write home about...

Say Goodbye Frozen Love snippet was great...The song "Say Goodbye" was very emotional but didnt do much for me.

Murrow Like the studio version too much, I thought the solo was a bit too ISA, Otherwise it was an alright track...

GYOW Dud!!! Dont know, sounded really bland to my ears.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-14-2005 at 06:57 PM..
Old 09-14-2005, 07:07 PM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Response

"Question B for the people who were lucky enough to be at this taping: Did you all know Stevie was going to show up? Or was it a complete surprise? I started coming to The Ledge just after this was taped, so I don't remember...

Anyway - overall, I just can't believe it took them so frickin long to get this on the air. I'll be buying the DVD for sure."

Regarding Question B, no one knew what songs Stevie would sing. There was the usual speculation that she would sing Landslide, so it was a surprise that she only sang back-up on Lindsey's songs.

Regarding the last comment, I think Lindsey and his management have been continuing to hope that this Soundstage would support a solo album. In my opinion, this leads to one of two conclusions: 1) A solo album is indeed forthcoming; or 2) Reality has set in that a solo album will sell less than 100,000 copies and the major labels (Warner/Reprise) won't release it (a la Gift of Screws) and the decision was made to grant PBS to air the show. If the major studios and Mick get their way, all of Lindsey's songs will end up on another FM album and ensuing "farewell tour" (which we know from other artists, is a ploy to sell more concert tickets and does not mean it is the last performance of their careers).
Old 09-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish Go Your Own Way would have gone its own way. Such a predictable, uninspired closer. It would have been nice if he closed with a softer song, like Down On Rodeo.

Regarding Trouble - I was missing the snap and punch that it had when he performed it on the OOTC tour.

Murrow was cool -- interesting to hear how he recreated a heavily produced studio track.

Never Going Back Again was somewhat lackluster...they did it so much better on the Say You Will tour.

I wonder how Steal Your Heart Away went. I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead
I wonder how Steal Your Heart Away went. I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD.
They did SYHA?? Did Stevie sing on it? That's one of my favourite songs on SYW. I didn't realize the entire show wasn't aired. I can't wait to get the DVD!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan
There was the usual speculation that she would sing Landslide, so it was a surprise that she only sang back-up on Lindsey's songs.
Why would she sing Landslide? It's Lindsey's show. It wasn't Buckingham Nicks Soundstage.

I'm not aiming my WTH at you, lbfan, but at the speculators. LOL
Old 09-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
GYOW Dud!!! Dont know, sounded really bland to my ears.
IMO, this was the best live version of GYOW I've ever heard.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan
"Question B for the people who were lucky enough to be at this taping: Did you all know Stevie was going to show up? Or was it a complete surprise? I started coming to The Ledge just after this was taped, so I don't remember...

Regarding Question B, no one knew what songs Stevie would sing. There was the usual speculation that she would sing Landslide, so it was a surprise that she only sang back-up on Lindsey's songs.

Yes, we knew that that she was going to be there. The show was advertised with her as a special guest when the tickets were made available.
We really had no idea what songs either one of them was going to do. The show was a total surprise at least to me anyway. The only thing that I did know was that Taku, Brett Tuggle and Neale Haywood were going to be playing with LB. I found that out on the Saturday night before the show from Mick.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default "At laaaaast, my LB has come along.."

Thanks heaps Brian J. and Nancy

So good to finally hear this, it could be the proverbial phonebook reading and presumably I'd still be impressed. But as it is, I'm really impressed with these great versions of some of our favourite songs.

SGCYM - Amazingly like the GOS studio version that we're all familiar with. It's almost like they used this song to set the style for the arrangement/style of the rest of the songs. (PS: Hooray for Lux for getting her song! )

Trouble - Like most people, I'm a big fan of this stripped down version. I thought the new vocals at the end were great.

Down On Rodeo - I was AGHAST! at first... Where are the bass and drums?!?! I'm sorry but.. taking the bass and drum parts out of DOR is like taking them out of Sara.. or even The Chain for that matter. They kept the drums at the end of SGCYM - why not have them in DOR? I guess it didn't go with the style of the whole show. I think I'm gonna try recording some drums and bass over this version and see how that sounds, because while of course the rest of the instrumentation is great.. it's just missing something. (PS: Hooray to me for getting my song! )

Big Love - Was he trying to break a world record for fast guitar playing here?!

NGBA - Classic brillance. Nice to have this modern version with Stevie but without the rhythm section from SYW for a change.

Murrow Turning Over In His Grave - LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! (They didn't rob this one of the integral bass and drums.. why DOR )
Old 09-15-2005, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Eternally grateful to Brian and Nancy.

"Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind": Never been a big fan of this one, and it does sound less atmospheric than the studio version naturally, therefore less impressive too. However, not bad by any means.

"Trouble": Cool as hell, love the new riff at the start.

"Down On Rodeo": Artificial harmonies abound, not that I mind. The guitar sounds great, and I don't miss the rhythm section.

"Peacekeeper": Better on my ears than the SYW tour version for sure, but I've never thought that much about the track in the first place.

"Murrow": I really like the way this one sounds, the solo does borrow from "I'm So Afraid" but then that was to be expected, and it's not a complete rip-off anyway.

One thing I still have problems with are some of the pre-recorded pieces, too much of an attempt to make things sound like the record. And Lindsey's voice has been altered in post-procession, but that's just something we have to deal with these days.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

First of all, Who thought Lindsey's voice is not what it used to be? His singing is exquisite in this set. He reall emotionized a lot of songs by singing it by totally surrendering to the lyrics. The agression in Murrow ( what an incredible effort to translate this song in this WEIRD-liveversion! ), the building up and convincing singing in Trouble ( he IS in trouble in the end, more than in the original), the absolute fabulous NAILING of SGCYM ( which turns out as a total classic, with a vocalperformance that's -powerful! ). The pace in Big Love is mindblowing, but I sure would have loved to hear Miranda or Given Thing here, Go Insane isn't as creepy as the Danceversion but it's done prettier here. (I prefer creepy though ). DOR has to grow on me. I don't like the phasing sound of the voice here, but it has never been one of my faves-what a contrast with Joe I'm happy for you buddy). Peacekeeper was better delivered than in the mac-environment, but still the solo-studioversion rules: it needs bass/drums at the right pace, with the right balls). For Red Rover one can only have respect. It's a work of art that stands alone in his work and it's amazing how they managed to translate this to the stage. The male vocals really work here! Never Going Back Again is fantastic, in my opinion. I love this slightly slower version without the brushes, that works too, but this is so vulnerable....although Stevie's a little better on LIB. Chills through Frozen Love AND Say Goodbye, what a great touching vocalperformance that is....

Murrow is really amazing, and WHAT a discipline of the whole band. This could have been a desastrous mish-mash SO easily. Lindsey's vocal is simply FANTASTIC. What an emotion and tension comes out of it. I miss the agression in the solo, but it's SO dark and slow. And the ISA-connection? What else is new....
Nobody's very eager to write positive about GYOW, but I like this one. He sings it again with passion (how is that possible after tenthousand times?) and it is weird to hear it bassless. Love the heavier accent on the acoustic "counterpart", though and it's an interesting approach on a song that sounds so different now.

Yeah, I'm very happy with this.

Thanks Brian J!!!!!! and everyone who tipped me on downloading.............

Old 09-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD
Yes, we knew that that she was going to be there. The show was advertised with her as a special guest when the tickets were made available.
Cool - thanks for the answer. When I was listening, I was like, does the audience not know who he's introducing??? That would have been an incredible surprise!