Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Last month, december, my mother died,

We played Sara, Landslide, Save me A Place, Du bist die welt fur mich from Richard Tauber (recorded in 1934) , Pearl Jam's Just Breathe and Albatross.

It was beautiful.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Save Me a Place wouldn't have occurred to me, but now that I think about it, it's a great choice. I bet the service was lovely. Take care of yourself.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Last month, december, my mother died,

We played Sara, Landslide, Save me A Place, Du bist die welt fur mich from Richard Tauber (recorded in 1934) , Pearl Jam's Just Breathe and Albatross.

It was beautiful.
I'm sorry you lost your mother.

When my dad died in '06... we debated on what to play at the funeral. My brother and sister wanted me to just play guitar but I wasn't sure if I could keep it together. I suggested playing a Rolling Stones tune (Start Me Up) after my sister told my brother and I that Dad said to "Toss me in a ditch when it's over" (you had to know my Dad)... but in the end my brother and sister suggested Songbird. It went perfectly with the service I thought.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
that was a little bit rude.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post

When my dad died in '06... we debated on what to play at the funeral. My brother and sister wanted me to just play guitar but I wasn't sure if I could keep it together. I suggested playing a Rolling Stones tune (Start Me Up) after my sister told my brother and I that Dad said to "Toss me in a ditch when it's over" (you had to know my Dad)... but in the end my brother and sister suggested Songbird. It went perfectly with the service I thought.
"Songbird" has always been my first choice for a 'last song' played at my funeral... And my second choice would probably be "Landslide" ~...

"For You ~ There'll Be No More Crying" ~...

Donnie Wayne ~
Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post

He sounds a lot like me! Although I'm guessing he wasn't painful to be around, unlike myself.
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to hear about your dad Brandon and everyone else who's lost someone. I can't remember which one it was, either Sylvia Browne or psychic Char Margolis who once said that usually at funerals the deceased women will usually walk around and smell all the flowers and the deceased men will walk out in the parking lot to see who all showed up.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
Sorry to hear about your dad Brandon and everyone else who's lost someone. I can't remember which one it was, either Sylvia Browne or psychic Char Margolis who once said that usually at funerals the deceased women will usually walk around and smell all the flowers and the deceased men will walk out in the parking lot to see who all showed up.
Indeed I, like any reasonable person, am also sorry for anyone who's lost someone significant in their lives, whether it be family or friend. It's always a painful experience for the remaining family and friends to lose someone to the inevitable eventuality of death. However, for the person that's actually died, it's the most neutral experience anyone can... well, experience. It's quite a lot like going to sleep, except in sleep of course you can have dreams that you can sometimes remember when you wake up.
Another way to think about death is this - I wouldn't like to die tomorrow, of course, but if I did die I wouldn't even know it! I can't help but think of Mark Twain:
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
What I'm getting around to is that we shouldn't indulge the thoughts of how our loved ones might still be here - all that does is bulge the hip-pockets of charlatans that prey on emotionally vulnerable people, especially at such a grievous time. (Amazingly, some charlatans genuinely think they're doing the nice thing of going along with people's beliefs, because it gives their clients "closure" - as far as I know, clients usually return for multiple services, almost like an addiction!)
Another travesty is the expenses of funerals themselves. Funeral agencies charge ridiculous amounts of money for coffins and the funeral service, knowing their clients are willing to pay excessive amounts of money because... well, how could anyone stand the thought of going cheap on a deceased loved one?! I certainly couldn't! Although I certainly hope that, if I get to have a funeral, nobody wastes their money on said coffins and services when it comes to shoving me in a hole in the ground!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Indeed I, like any reasonable person, am also sorry for anyone who's lost someone significant in their lives, whether it be family or friend. It's always a painful experience for the remaining family and friends to lose someone to the inevitable eventuality of death. However, for the person that's actually died, it's the most neutral experience anyone can... well, experience. It's quite a lot like going to sleep, except in sleep of course you can have dreams that you can sometimes remember when you wake up.
Another way to think about death is this - I wouldn't like to die tomorrow, of course, but if I did die I wouldn't even know it! I can't help but think of Mark Twain:
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
What I'm getting around to is that we shouldn't indulge the thoughts of how our loved ones might still be here - all that does is bulge the hip-pockets of charlatans that prey on emotionally vulnerable people, especially at such a grievous time. (Amazingly, some charlatans genuinely think they're doing the nice thing of going along with people's beliefs, because it gives their clients "closure" - as far as I know, clients usually return for multiple services, almost like an addiction!)Another travesty is the expenses of funerals themselves. Funeral agencies charge ridiculous amounts of money for coffins and the funeral service, knowing their clients are willing to pay excessive amounts of money because... well, how could anyone stand the thought of going cheap on a deceased loved one?! I certainly couldn't! Although I certainly hope that, if I get to have a funeral, nobody wastes their money on said coffins and services when it comes to shoving me in a hole in the ground!
It's everyone's prerogative whether they believe in (true, world renowned psychics) like I do. And I only intrust in a very few. There will always be skeptics as long as we have things we can't explain easily or things we may fear or unknow of. I'm one who happens to believe that yes, our true psychics are God sent and are like God's little messengers giving us some kind of insight into the afterlife and Heaven and all that so we'll have some comfort in knowing (in this life) and not to go through this world wondering about it. Now I do believe there are tons of fake psychic scammers in the world, and charlatans and people like Sylvia Browne have been notorious in their careers for turning them all in to the proper authorities over the years. No I don't for one minute believe every person who claims to be "psychic" or the corner gypsy who sets up shop. I'm not stupid and gullible. But I do believe in noted psychics like Char and Sylvia because I've seen them bring people to their knees too many times over stuff they couldn't possibly know anything about. To me, they've proven themselves to be some sort of God given messengers to better help the rest of us in some way understand. And they will tell you that. Yes Sylvia in 50 years may have flubbed a time or two with people but she is human at the end of the day and in over 50 years and countless readings and cases of people, she's been RIGHT more than she's been wrong. Or she wouldn't have survived this long as a practicing psychic. I don't want to go off topic about all this, especially in the Fleetwood Mac forum but it's ok to hold your personal opinions about it and be skeptical of things you may not know of or that aren't so easily explained. Sylvia Browne has explained in every book I've read of hers that you should just go with your OWN gut feeling about things, that you don't have to take her word or agree with what she has to say. Go with what you feel is right in your own mind and heart and that's what I and many of her fans do. I don't agree with everything she has to say, but I will say that I feel in my heart and gut that about 98% of the things she has talked about "so easily, just simply make sense" to me. And the millions of others across the world. It's not like you get brainwashed into believing or anything. It's just for me, she's shed some light and given insight into things you walk around feeling that are mysterious to you. And the woman simply makes some sense to me about God, ghosts, spirits, dying, the afterlife, and Heaven. All these things we can't so easily explain or get an answer to. To me what better way than to listen to someone who delves in it and talks to the dead and the people already passed on who are already "up there". The things she talks about become fascinating really and nothing at all to fear. I feel this way about Char too.

Last edited by fringed n fab; 01-12-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's also important I think, not to get so wrapped up about death, the afterlife and such, that we forget to live while here. I believe everyone is psychic to some degree. Some of the more gifted are just able to tap into it more or have heightened senses.

Last edited by fringed n fab; 01-12-2010 at 05:03 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I will discuss more on this in another thread I feel is better suited for this discussion. And better to understand why I feel this way about stuff like this. And hopefully people don't think you're nuts lol but simply someone trying to make sense of it all : /
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
I will discuss more on this in another thread I feel is better suited for this discussion. And better to understand why I feel this way about stuff like this. And hopefully people don't think you're nuts lol but simply someone trying to make sense of it all : /
Then this will be my last comment on this for this thread!
I'm the sort of person who's more on the James Randi side of things (I just read the Wikipedia article on Sylvia... she charges a lot, doesn't she? http://readings.sylviabrowne.com/ says $850 for a phone reading...) - I love being skeptical of everything I can be skeptical about, making as few assumptions as possible along the way, even trying to break said assumptions where I can. Roger Penrose, in his immensley challenging book "The Road to Reality" (I've only had the patience and stamina to read small snippets), was the first person who really taught me to be a skeptic when he kept pressing the ideas of "but how do we know?" and "is this a reasonable assumption?" - he showed me, after a lot of confusion and mental strain, that parallel lines can meet! Once I finally understood what he was on about, I realised that even the most apparently obvious aspects of how nature and mathematics works can actually be either incomplete or entirely wrong! So I'm sure you can imagine how skeptical I feel about things that aren't quite as obvious as others, especially things that go against the grain of current-day science...
The message boards have a bad habit of getting off topic lately... it's probably mostly my fault!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want "Songbird" and "God's Garden" played at my funeral, not that I'm hoping to be planning that any time soon.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
that was a little bit rude.
No, rude would be playing Sugar Daddy at my funeral.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want Songbird played at my Tibetan sky-burial.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
No, rude would be playing Sugar Daddy at my funeral.
what about suge knight?