The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Do You Want To See The Eagles Tour With Fleetwood Mac?
Yes 41 28.47%
No 103 71.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

Indeed, to the casual observer, Don seems far from unappreciated. As this thread shows, many people assume Don has more power than is actually the case. HomerMcVie - who's a pretty sharp guy - even assumed that Glenn's praise was motivated by Don having a more powerful position within the band. However, since Glenn does not need to lick Don's boots in order for the band to continue, there is no reason to believe Glenn is insincere in his lavish praise of Don. It should also be noted that Glenn, who makes the Eagles setlists, generously features Don's songs at the cost of his own. This is in spite of the fact that "The Heat Is On" and "You Belong to the City" were bigger hits than any of Don's singles, according to Billboard. Glenn obviously values Don a great deal and spotlights him because he wants to and believes it is in the band's best interests, not because he has to in order to keep the band going.
Thanks.
But I DO think that partially what ended the Eagles after The Long Run, was that Glenn felt like he'd lost control of the band....at least in the sense of being the "star". I think Don(not intentionally) usurped the spotlight, and I think that rubbed Glenn, deeply, the wrong way. I think that's a big part of why he wanted to close shop.
I DO think Glenn's praise is heartfelt. I think he realizes that they would be Air Supply, without Don! And it probably took years for him to come to that conclusion.
On the same note, look at their singles. Artistically, and lyrically, can anyone say that The Heat is On, is even CLOSE, to The Heart of the Matter. HOTM is ART, and HIO is just air, IMO.
And I think once Glenn saw how Don really emerged as a serious(not air) solo artist, that he finally came to the conclusion, regarding Don's legacy to the Eagles.
Also, in terms of the setlist, I've read on Eagles boards, that the audiences take their pee breaks, during Glenn's solo songs.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Also, in terms of the setlist, I've read on Eagles boards, that the audiences take their pee breaks, during Glenn's solo songs.
Well, since he hasn't played any of his solo songs at Eagles shows for about five years, that surprises me.

You gotta be careful when it comes to message boards. I've dabbled in message boards in both fandoms, even built a couple myself. I've found that some Eagles fans, like some Fleetwood Mac fans, can on occasion exaggerate the deficiencies of the members who are not their favorite or who they perceive to be in opposition to their favorite. All one need do is look at the Lindsey fans v. Stevie fans battles on here to get a taste of that. (See my sig!)

Last edited by sodascouts; 12-30-2009 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: extended opining about message boards; added qualifiers
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Well, since he hasn't played any of his solo songs at Eagles shows for about five years, that surprises me.

You gotta be careful when it comes to message boards. I've dabbled in message boards in both fandoms, even built a couple myself. I've found that Eagles fans, like Fleetwood Mac fans, can sometimes exaggerate the deficiencies of the members who are not their favorite or who they perceive to be in opposition to their favorite. All one need do is look at the Lindsey fans v. Stevie fans battles on here to get a taste of that. (See my sig!)
What's the Eagle board I belong to? Eagleland, I think? I've not been over there for quite awhile. I won a copy of Felder's book on there, after writing about why I deserved it.

Yeah, the fans are similar in nature.

With FM though, the queen of FM left, so I'm only here for the fireworks.
Even though I now prefer the Eagles music to FM, I'm just used to being around y'all!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't particularly care to see FM on tour with the Eagles. Looks like its going to happen anyway though. I might could be a little more supportive of it if they were going to perform together...as in, come up with a combined setlist and just jam onstage...sort of make a kind of party out of it. Otherwise, I just can't get into this. Of course, I will go to see it just to see FM again if its possible...as in A) they come close to here, and B) if they don't charge a small fortune for just one ticket.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Junior Ledgie

Hi all – I am a big Mac fan. I wouldn’t mind the notion of this joint tour as long as it was limited to just a few shows. I would probably go to one show if it is within a reasonable distance and the prices aren’t too exorbitant. But, like most of you, I would rather see my favorite band do a full show of their own rather than sharing the stage.

I am a life long hardcore Eagles fan, and an active poster on sodascouts’ Eagles message board, The Border. First of all, I want to say that I am very impressed with The Ledge and have been following your interesting posts regarding the possible FM/Eagles tour. Based on all this conversation about Glenn and Don, I wanted to weigh in here. I want to start off by saying that I don’t believe that any of us Eagles fans here actually “know” these men so I am only sharing my ‘somewhat informed' opinion. I believe that L&M have met Don Henley on several occasions, and Nancy and I have met Glenn Frey on several occasions. I think it is fair to say we are acquaintances, but do not know these men well enough to call them personal friends. I think it is also fair to say that we each have our biases about them. Additionally, I think it is fair to say that both of these men had VERY healthy egos when they were younger, and they may still have them, although they both seem to have mellowed over the years. However, I believe it would be unfair and misleading for me to say whose ego is bigger, especially given the fact that I’ve never met Don.

I agree with what Nancy said about the Eagles dynamics and how different they are from Fleetwood Mac. As far as Don being a bigger star than Glenn, I think that Don may be perceived as a bigger solo star, but as Nancy pointed out, in many ways that is a myth. Glenn was pretty darn successful in his own right. With regard to the Eagles, the truth is that Glenn has had every bit as much success as Don. For anyone interested, I can give you all kinds of facts to back this up in addition to what Nancy has already cited. Glenn was the original impetus behind the Eagles. He was also the band’s bigger star in the early ‘70’s, and Don in the latter part of the decade. After the band’s resumption in 1994, I believe that the two men share pretty equally in both the successes and responsibilities of the band. However, when ‘push comes to shove’, Glenn does apparently have the final word. Like Nancy, I believe this ‘power’ stems from the fact that Glenn seems to be less invested and willing to put up with a lot of drama just for the sake of keeping the Eagles afloat. He has pursued many other interests outside of his music and does seem to have more of a “take it or leave it” attitude. The way I see it, after Glenn disbanded the Eagles in 1980, the man has just never been willing to totally sacrifice his personal happiness for a music career. Some of you may call that a man with a big ego, but I call it a man that has his priorities straight. Did his music career suffer because of this attitude – I imagine it did … but I’m thinking his healthy ego is fine with that and I’m pretty sure his checkbook is as well.

Kay

Last edited by freyfanatic; 12-31-2009 at 12:51 AM..
Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 AM
Registered

Little Man's ego got bruised when his big heavily promoted "hit" CBS Hollywood PI show couldn't even last *two episodes; its what expedited the Eagles reunion. Ego, money, attention. In that order.

Last edited by LukeA; 12-31-2009 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: *I thought it lasted six
Old 12-31-2009, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenleyFan View Post
It's not about their solo careers. Glenn started the band so it's his band. That's why he has the final say on all things Eagles.

L&M
www.eaglesfans.com
Ok that makes sense. I should bone up on my Eagles history I guess.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyfanatic View Post
I agree with what Nancy said about the Eagles dynamics and how different they are from Fleetwood Mac. As far as Don being a bigger star than Glenn, I think that Don may be perceived as a bigger solo star, but as Nancy pointed out, in many ways that is a myth. Glenn was pretty darn successful in his own right. With regard to the Eagles, the truth is that Glenn has had every bit as much success as Don. For anyone interested, I can give you all kinds of facts to back this up in addition to what Nancy has already cited. Glenn was the original impetus behind the Eagles. He was also the band’s bigger star in the early ‘70’s, and Don in the latter part of the decade. After the band’s resumption in 1994, I believe that the two men share pretty equally in both the successes and responsibilities of the band. However, when ‘push comes to shove’, Glenn does apparently have the final word. Like Nancy, I believe this ‘power’ stems from the fact that Glenn seems to be less invested and willing to put up with a lot of drama just for the sake of keeping the Eagles afloat. He has pursued many other interests outside of his music and does seem to have more of a “take it or leave it” attitude. The way I see it, after Glenn disbanded the Eagles in 1980, the man has just never been willing to totally sacrifice his personal happiness for a music career. Some of you may call that a man with a big ego, but I call it a man that has his priorities straight. Did his music career suffer because of this attitude – I imagine it did … but I’m thinking his healthy ego is fine with that and I’m pretty sure his checkbook is as well.

Kay
Just wanted to say that, against popular opinion (and the opinion of my husband) I have always preferred Glenn Frey to Don Henley.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
What's the Eagle board I belong to? Eagleland, I think? I've not been over there for quite awhile. I won a copy of Felder's book on there, after writing about why I deserved it.

Yeah, the fans are similar in nature.

With FM though, the queen of FM left, so I'm only here for the fireworks.
Even though I now prefer the Eagles music to FM, I'm just used to being around y'all!
So HomerMcvie: what did you think of Don Felders book?? I'd gotten it awhile ago and read it all.....I was an interesting read even though it is one persons point of view. I'm sure each member has there own 'take' on the state of there own bands. (ex: Stevie/Lindsey/etc....) though I'm sure some we'll not ever 'hear' there stories.....I don't think Don or Glen would ever write a 'tell-all' book......not that they've always agreed through the yrs but its the same with any band I guess......really.....anyway, just wondering what your opinion is?? thanks.....
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

I haven't been here for a while, so I've just noticed this topic. All I can say is that for all who were negative towards the Unleashed set list, FM's song choices on this possible tour are going to be even more status-quo. I reallllly don't want this tour to happen, to be honest. We'll most likely just be getting a 90 minute set, half of which will be rumours and I think we can all fill in the blanks as to the rest of the material. I don't think I'd make it out to this tour (course if there happen to be any cheap tickets I may). But if I'm going to pay the big bucks I'd rather see FM on their own...at least they are entertaining when they perform! I like the Eagles' music, but any performance I've seen of theirs has been soooo boring!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Little Man's ego got bruised when his big heavily promoted "hit" CBS Hollywood PI show couldn't even last *two episodes; its what expedited the Eagles reunion. Ego, money, attention. In that order.
LOL....thats a good one!!The sad thing is I did watch one epi of it....only one......it wasn't the greatest though Frey thought he could act .....IMO....
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 01-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went to see Chris Isaak last night and started up a conversation with one of the guys in his crew. The guy I was talking to just got off the Unleashed tour and he talked about some of his experiences on the road with Fleetwood Mac. From the stories he told and the information he had, he seemed legit. I asked about the possible double bill with The Eagles and he said that it won't happen because "Stevie does not want it to happen". According to him, the rest of the band would be fine with it. Just thought I'd share this comment from someone that just spent a lot of time with the band.

He also said that Stevie was extremely considerate and thoughtful when it came to taking care of the crew. He shared a story of Stevie walking into the same restaurant where he was eating with his wife and picked up their bill.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
I like the Eagles' music, but any performance I've seen of theirs has been soooo boring!
Amen brother! I saw them in 1980 and was sooooo bored. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get out of that outdoor stadium and the heat. Their opening acts, The Little River Band and Heart were excellent though.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
So HomerMcvie: what did you think of Don Felders book?? I'd gotten it awhile ago and read it all.....I was an interesting read even though it is one persons point of view. I'm sure each member has there own 'take' on the state of there own bands. (ex: Stevie/Lindsey/etc....) though I'm sure some we'll not ever 'hear' there stories.....I don't think Don or Glen would ever write a 'tell-all' book......not that they've always agreed through the yrs but its the same with any band I guess......really.....anyway, just wondering what your opinion is?? thanks.....
I really enjoyed it! Don painted himself a little too saintly, IMO(but then who doesn't?). I've read it three times since I got it. Henley and Frey both get painted pretty badly, but Tim and Joe come across as both being nice guys.
And as much as Felder's my favorite member, I just can't believe that he wasn't a pain in the ass. If he weren't, I'm sure they wouldn't have fired him. Also, given that Henley offered Felder(I hate having two Dons, always having to use their last names) a place in his solo band, I think 90% of the tension was between Frey and Felder. I think Glenn HATED him.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted_Song View Post

He also said that Stevie was extremely considerate and thoughtful when it came to taking care of the crew. He shared a story of Stevie walking into the same restaurant where he was eating with his wife and picked up their bill.
Stevie...what a bitch.