User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There was an interview with Stevie during the Rock A Little tour (national radio broadcast) where she talked about this song. Stevie said she loved Kenny but he was so strict in the studio and said "the whip would come down."

Its not unusual to not give another artist credit. Stevie never gave Prince credit on Stand Back. And no, I don't believe her story that Prince told her not to do it. But even if that was true, you still would give someone credit for playing critical parts of your first single from a new album.
However, to not give someone credit for singing a duet is pretty odd. Stevie does not just sing back up, she sings full verses.
As someone correctly pointed out, the Mac opened for Loggins and Messina in 1975 so that is when they got to know eachother well.
Some of these comparisons on this thread are just stupid - Prince didn't sing half of Stand Bank. He played the synthesizer. Ridiculous comparison. Whenever. I Call You Friend is a true duet.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Some of these comparisons on this thread are just stupid - Prince didn't sing half of Stand Bank. He played the synthesizer. Ridiculous comparison. Whenever. I Call You Friend is a true duet.
Before you call my post ridiculous and stupid.....you should read it because I make the same point as you i.e. the song is a duet where Stevie sings verses and major parts.
I was NOT comparing songs but stating that its common for some artists to not give credit for contributing. Prince was just an example. He does not sing but still played a major part of the song. For freaking sake....his song was even inspiration for Stand Back!!!!!!! Without Prince there would be no Stand Back period. I think he deserved some credit on the song on the album.

Some could argue (musicians mostly) that when an artist says when they heard a song from another artist (Little Red Corvette) and pulls over to write a song as inspiration, has her band try to copy the influence of the song, and then calls the original artist to play on it is much more pivotal than someone singing a few lines in a song.

Stevie did not write Whenever I call you friend
Stevie did not inspire Whenever I call you friend
Stevie did not produce Whenever I call you friend
Stevie did not play on Whenever I call you friend

Prince's song was inspiration for the lyrics and creation of Stand Back
Prince's song was an example of how Stevie wanted Stand Back to sound
Prince plays synthesizer on Stand Back
Prince was also key in arranging the song in the final cut

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-13-2016 at 06:47 AM..
Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post

Since this is obviously the most important thing in your life why don't you ask him...
He has Twitter and Facebook...
Also Kenny Loggins...Face lift or not...
Old 05-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Today my radio station is re-broadcasting American Top 40 from May 16, 1981. When they got to the No. 2 song, "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington Jr, Casey Kasem mentioned that Bill Withers is the uncredited vocalist. Then he gave several other examples of vocalists not being credited on hit singles, including Stevie on WICYF.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There was an interview with Stevie during the Rock A Little tour (national radio broadcast) where she talked about this song. Stevie said she loved Kenny but he was so strict in the studio and said "the whip would come down."

Its not unusual to not give another artist credit. Stevie never gave Prince credit on Stand Back. And no, I don't believe her story that Prince told her not to do it. But even if that was true, you still would give someone credit for playing critical parts of your first single from a new album.
However, to not give someone credit for singing a duet is pretty odd. Stevie does not just sing back up, she sings full verses.
As someone correctly pointed out, the Mac opened for Loggins and Messina in 1975 so that is when they got to know eachother well.
While in most cases, I would be inclined to agree, in this particular one, I believe it's true. Prince was always persnickety about his credits - using his own name, various pseudonyms (e.g. Prince didn't write Sheena Easton's Sugar Walls - Alexander Nevermind did), or choosing to be uncredited for playing 20 minutes in the studio on Stand Back. Artists are inspired by music they hear ALL the time. If the rule was that we needed to list Prince as co-writer for Stand Back then virtually every song out there would need to adjust their credits really.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
She just gave such a fat, juicy, sultry vocal on that one... definitely one of my fav vocals of her career.

Regarding Stevie being "uncredited" for Whenever I Call You Friend, maybe she wanted it that way? Perhaps she didn't want to overshadow Kenny since she was the 'established' artist, and simply wanted to aid his career. At that time she was making money hand over fist and was arguably the hottest woman in music. I highly doubt she'd care about receiving full "credit" for a duet from an unknown singer/songwriter. After all, look at who she was duetting with in the 70s: Kenny Loggins, Walter Egan, John Stewart... all of these guys were relative unknowns in comparison to Fleetwood Mac at that point. Kenny and Walter were upstarts releasing their first albums; John was established thanks to his time in the Kingston Trio, but somewhat obscure solo. Singing with the likes of Don Henley and Tom Petty didn't arrive until the next decade.
I agree about the credit issue. I don't think it was that important to her since she was already getting so much recognition for Rumours. Bonding with handsome men was more important.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Kenny Loggins sings the hits at the Norris Theatre

Singer/songwriter Kenny Loggins first wrote the hit single “Danny's Song” to celebrate the birth of a nephew. Now, nearly 50 years later, Loggins is revisiting the classic tune, this time as a grandfather.

“I wrote a verse from the standpoint of being a grandfather—I've got a 2-year-old granddaughter," said the 69-year-old singer. "I'm using that as a cornerstone to the new children's project I'm working on.”

Loggins performs a new version of “Danny's Song” as well as his other classics at the Norris Theatre on the Palos Verdes Peninsula Saturday, Oct. 7.

“Danny's Song” wasn't a hit for Loggins and Messina, the multi-platinum selling duo that launched his career, but it was a top 10 single for Anne Murray in 1972. Following the success of Loggins and Messina, disbanded in 1976, Loggins was ready to launch his solo career when he approached collaborator Michael McDonald of Doobie Brothers fame.

Loggins sang a new song for McDonald, but, McDonald just didn't think much of the melody, he said.

“It kind of knocked my wind out for a little while, but then I had another writing date set up with Melissa Manchester a few days later,” Loggins recalled. “So I pulled (the song) back out and showed it to Melissa and she was like, 'Are you kidding me? Of course, we finished it up together.'”

That rejected melody became “Whenever I Call You 'Friend,'" a duo with Stevie Nicks. It was Loggins' first solo hit on the 1978 album “Nightwatch,” reaching No. 5 on the Billboard charts.

Loggins first met Nicks when he opened for Fleetwood Mac on one of their tours.

“She said, 'If you ever need a chick singer, give me a call,'” Loggins said. “I was like absolutely. Who would not want Stevie Nicks to sing with them on their record? I credit her with helping make my solo career take off.”

'King of the Soundtracks'

While on his last tour with Jim Messina, Loggins collaborated with Barbra Streisand and film producer Jon Peters on the music for “A Star is Born.” He sang beginnings of songs to them for his first solo album, “Celebrate Me Home.” One song that Streisand “loved” was “I Believe in Love,” which eventually made it on the film's soundtrack.

While they were collaborating in Malibu, Peters asked if Loggins had ever thought about acting.

“I said, 'I'm not particularly motivated to do that,'” recalled Loggins. “He said, 'You would be perfect for the lead in 'A Star is Born.' I said, 'Well, I appreciate that, I don't think so.' I passed.”

The role eventually went to Kris Kristofferson, but his relationship with Peters became a fruitful one. A few years later, the producer was working on a comedy called “Caddyshack” when Loggins was contacted to write some music. The soundtrack includes four songs by Loggins including “I'm Alright.”

“I got lucky; the movie was hilarious and I wanted to write everything for it,” Loggins said.

That was followed by the theme song for “Footloose,” which garnered an Oscar nomination, and “Danger Zone” for “Top Gun.” Loggins also sang “For the First Time,” featured in the 1996 film “One Fine Day,” that was nominated for an Academy Award.

Loggins said he is looking forward to the “Top Gun” sequel set to be released in 2019. He met Tom Cruise for the first time in October 2016 while filming an episode of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!”

“After all of these years everybody thought that I'd known him, but we never met,” Loggins said. “I asked him, 'Are you guys considering using “Danger Zone” and he said 'absolutely.' That doesn't necessarily mean it will happen because a lot happens between now and the cutting room, but I would love to be part of that in some way.”

Pooh's world

Loggins' largest selling album, selling 2 million units, is “Return to Pooh Corner.” The musician he said will continue writing for children including his next album, which has no release date. Last year, he released his first children's book, “Footloose,” a story of zoo animals who like to dance when the moon gets full. He said pop music is “not a hamster wheel I'm eager to get back on.”

But fans can catch his classic songs on this current tour that reaches Palos Verdes Oct. 7.

“I love what I do. I don't love the traveling necessarily, but I love performing,” he said. “I've got a great band together. I've got some good stories and the trick is remembering them and fitting them into the show. I was sitting with a friend the other day and had a couple glasses wine and we were reminiscing about the old days and she said, 'You should be writing this stuff down and make it a part of your show.' I think she's right. It's time to start collecting those old stories.”

http://tbrnews.com/entertainment/ken...01a79c1c8.html