User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I mean I think everyone agrees with the proposition that it is a good thing SH is no longer in power. I think what people like me want to hear is "there was a meltdown in our intelligence" Sorry Iraq.
Since I'm not like you in the way I think when it comes to politics and foreign policy ( ), this is what I'd like to hear:

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to begin with a confession. My staff and I lied to you about Iraq and its WMDs. They had none, but we chose to tell you they did. Why? Because they have oil. Because they tried to murder my pop and because I wanted to help out my campaing contributors where it counts: their checkbooks. We came up with a grand scheme that even included duct tape and plastic, but once again, I forgot to mention that the largest manufacturer of duct tape in the US was a major contributor to my campaign. But that's water under the bridge, or, as I like to say in Tex-ass, that's a prairie dog under a horse's ass! (appaulse from the Right) We lied to you and the UN so that we could invade Iraq and colonize there in the hopes that we could, in the near future, take control of their oil and use it to further our fortunes. Dick and I are in Halliburton's pocket and we hold a vested interest in their business, so it was only natural that we do what we can to make them money, therefore making ourselves money. I have used cocaine in the past, yet I'm not quite sure if I've used it in the past year. I may have and if I did, God told me to, folks. I failed to fund every program that I set up, including No Child Left Behind. I didn't give the $3 billion to fight AIDs like I promised. I am a drunk that caters to the far-right and I hope to force God down the throats of every American until they shout "Hallelujah!" from the rooftops. God tells me to do these things. But I am sorry. I am sorry I bastardized this country and you all so embarassed. I am sorry that almost every country hates us, it is all my fault. And hell, while I'm at it, I'll admit that I'm a white man with a small penis. Thanl you ladies and gentlemen, I will now resign and support whichever Democratic candidate you choose to support. Goodnight."

That would be a fab speech.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-27-2004, 04:22 PM

I don't know, but I still think Dean may be the best man to vote for. I like that he's a little crazy. Frankly, he just strikes me as the kind of guy who is bit shy but has put himself in the spotlight and doesn't quite always know how to handle it. That doesn't mean he's going to push the button.

Kerry has made too many wrong choices for me to vote for him. I'll give him a look-over if he gets the nomination. But he's out in the primary. Of course, I'm in New York, so my vote is null anyway. He's going to take this state easily.

Clark is rather unimpressive. I don't see any real substance there.

Kucinich is the man, but he's got no chance.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Strand, I wouldn't be so sure that Afghanistan is Taliban-free. Kabul, yes, but the rest of the country is in as much disarray as ever. In some places tribal lords have taken over again and women are being forced to wear the ghost uniforms. Afghanistan is a very sad situation.

Don't forget that the opium crop has soared.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I agree - but I thought the Taliban was its own entity, distinct from the tribal lords. Didn't we use the tribal lords to overthrow the Taliban? So, I think it is pretty much Taliban free. Time will tell I guess. You know as much as "we" bitch about the lack of accurate info. from Iraq, there is virtually none from Afganistan. Scary as that is.

Which brings me back to my original question. Who's looking for OBL?
Old 01-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
I think we still have a military presence in Afganistan that is not only keeping the peace, but also trying to get the 411 on OBL's location. There is just no fighting there at the moment like in Iraq. So, the press focuses on Iraq. I think, but have no way of proving, that the US is still looking for OBL by way of spies, etc. I think the military is ready to pounce if he is located. Other than having caught him, which we sadly did not, I can think of no better way to get OBL.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know, but I still think Dean may be the best man to vote for. I like that he's a little crazy. Frankly, he just strikes me as the kind of guy who is bit shy but has put himself in the spotlight and doesn't quite always know how to handle it. That doesn't mean he's going to push the button.

Kerry has made too many wrong choices for me to vote for him. I'll give him a look-over if he gets the nomination. But he's out in the primary. Of course, I'm in New York, so my vote is null anyway. He's going to take this state easily.

Clark is rather unimpressive. I don't see any real substance there.

Kucinich is the man, but he's got no chance.
Kucinich IS the man. Luv him and his charts!!!

It isn't that I dislike Dean. I feel bad for him that he's been treated the way he has by the media and the other candidates. I respect that he stands up for what he believes, but at times, I think he's just telling us liberals what we want to hear. He's got quite a few conservative views that I do not agree with, too. I can not, in all honesty, vote for a man that supports capital punishment; I just can't support it. However, if he by some small miracle does get the nomination, I guess I might have to. I don't know. I think the hurrah over his Iowa speech is ridiculous. Who gives a **** that screamed to his supporters? What does bother me is the way he treated that man at one of his speeches; it wasn't right. Granted, the guy acted like an ass, but it was still wrong. Dean doesn't seem to me to have a whole lot of integrity; he'll do what he has to do to win, no matter how nasty he is.

Kerry, on the other hand, has lots of integrity. He f*cked up by voting for the war and No Child Left Behind, I'll be the first to say it. He's voted with Bush too many times for my liking, too. BUT, he is the man who could beat Bush. He is, after all, one of the most liberal public servant we have right now. And I admire his comments about gay marriage, even though I disagree with him and think it should be allowed. Shrub would die in a debate with Kerry. And they haven't been able to dig up any dirt so far on kerry, either.

Clark can retire for all I care. He has nothing to offer anyone, he doesn't know "**** about crap," ( ) he's the worst speaker I've ever seen in my life (next to Bush), and he contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth. This is the guy who said intelligence is a "gray goo" and that marriage is an "art." He's ridiculous.

Like I said though, my mind could change any minute.

PS: In MA, one of our state senators ran for mayor in Springfield but lost because she hadn't paid taxes on two properties she owned for almost a decade. So what did Kerry do when he decided to run? He made his taxes available to the press.

Last edited by dissention; 01-27-2004 at 04:52 PM..
Old 01-27-2004, 04:51 PM

Yes, you must know your **** from crap to get elected. Unless you're Dubya. Or as I call him, "the weed."

Pull the weed!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, you must know your **** from crap to get elected. Unless you're Dubya. Or as I call him, "the weed."

Pull the weed!
Oh he knows how to get elected. Just have some of daddy's friends help you. It's the rest of the **** that he doesn't know crap about.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Kay to testify before the Senate:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/28/911....ap/index.html

Old 01-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As if on cue, the heat is on in Iraq, so . . . .

U.S. Plans Major Offensive Against Al Qaeda

The U.S. military is planning a major offensive in Afghanistan along the Afghan-Pakistani border this spring, Pentagon officials have confirmed to Fox News, but officials would not divulge whether it would involve moving troops into Pakistan.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,109753,00.html

Oh the sound made by moving the three shells in the game

Old 01-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I hope they don't think they are fooling anyone with this crap.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hope they don't think they are fooling anyone with this crap.
It is sort of like every time Clinton would get in trouble, he's send a cruise missle somewhere. I HATE it when they do this, and they all to it!!!

Old 01-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG - even I cannot believe they would be this brazen

Pelosi rips GOP lawmaker on job offer
Dem charges 'abuse of power'
From Ted Barrett
CNN Washington Bureau
Wednesday, January 28, 2004 Posted: 3:28 PM EST (2028 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House's top Democrat, Nancy Pelosi of California, strongly criticized a Republican lawmaker Wednesday for his consideration of a lucrative job offer from the pharmaceutical industry -- an offer that came weeks after he helped to negotiate a sweeping Medicare bill that established a prescription drug benefit for America's seniors.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...osi/index.html

Old 01-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Pull the weed!
Kerry will smoke the weed.

- Jake