User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf

Sorry, when Wootian Gods get excited, they woot!

I'll give Scotticus your regards! kplzthnx.
Pls do!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

State of the Union from www.foxnews.com

Few details have so far been revealed about the speech, but former Bush political adviser Karen Hughes (search), who spent the weekend with Bush at Camp David as he fine-tuned his speech, said the president would discuss ways to improve the health care system without giving the government a bigger role in it. Congress has already approved a 10-year, $400 billion prescription drug addition to Medicare, the health care entitlement to seniors.

"I think what you'll hear is a very different vision of what health care should be than what you've been hearing from the Democratic candidates. They're touting a government-run system, which I always remind people, well, you kind of think about the income tax system or the post office. If that's what you want your health care system to be like, I think most Americans don't," said Hughes.

Hughes, who helped the president prepare for his delivery and is expected to be in attendance at the annual address to Congress and the nation on Tuesday night at 9:00 p.m. EST, said Bush will also defend the war in Iraq by saying that without the war, Saddam Hussein would still be in power instead of in prison.

Article here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,108899,00.html

Also re: "Bush will also defend the war in Iraq by saying that without the war, Saddam Hussein would still be in power instead of in prison." Well DUH - but how does that justify lying to enhance the case for going to war?

Old 01-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind

Also re: "Bush will also defend the war in Iraq by saying that without the war, Saddam Hussein would still be in power instead of in prison." Well DUH - but how does that justify lying to enhance the case for going to war?

DING DING DING!!!! that's what I want to know!!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
DING DING DING!!!! that's what I want to know!!!!
Don't hold you breath for an answer to that question because every time he has been asked he has replied "the intelligence showed SH had WMD." While this is true and the world agreed it was true, it is not the answer to the question. I mean even if you hold as true that SH had WMD and that he was the worst person in the history of people, why didn't W just use those reasons as justification - the answer is he knew Congress would never go for it because those reasons were not exigent enough. Instead, W said SH was actively seeking the materials to make a nuclear bomb and would soon have one. When he said it, his administration, and therefore HE, knew it was false. Personally, I think he also knew it was false. I cannot believe he has not been impeached on this act. I mean Clinton onstructed justice when he lied about a BJ (which was wrong I agree) and he got impeached. Bush lied and now thousands are dead. Hmmmmm

Last edited by strandinthewind; 01-19-2004 at 10:34 PM..
Old 01-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I wonder how many postal worker's votes Karen Hughes just lost with that little gem. It's okay I guess, they're in a union and vote democratic anyway. Who really trusts this pos to follow through on his word? If it's not soicalized medicine, I don't want to hear about it.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm wathcing HoDe's speech on CNN and either he's going to cry or he's had a few, I can't tell. I think this is truly a shock to him.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My fave quote of the night?

It's from Former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-WY)

"Howard Dean looked like a prairie dog on speed!"

-referring to HoDe's maniacal shouting during his concession speech.

way to go, old man!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Howard Dean sounded like a professional wrestler last night - in both the tone of his voice and the prepare-for-a-fight rhetoric. All he needed was a mask.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by greatdarkwing
Am I the only Republican on The Ledge? lol

~Alex
No, lol, I am one too, but I get tired after a few pages, because I notice most people simply start repeating the same rhetoric, and so I haven't gotten too involved in political debate.

I will say that even I respect Kerry. But perhaps that's just because Dean is such a prick.

As for your earlier comment about chads - should Republicans be blamed if such a large portion of the Democratic constituency is feeble-minded? lol!

Old 01-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by greatdarkwing
Am I the only Republican on The Ledge? lol

~Alex
Nope. I am registered Republican, but vote based on the person, not the party.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 01-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
No, lol, I am one too, but I get tired after a few pages, because I notice most people simply start repeating the same rhetoric, and so I haven't gotten too involved in political debate.

I will say that even I respect Kerry. But perhaps that's just because Dean is such a prick.

As for your earlier comment about chads - should Republicans be blamed if such a large portion of the Democratic constituency is feeble-minded? lol!
Nancy--

Don't take everything so seriously!

Old 01-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Did anyone see Kerry's wife last night during Kerry's winning speech? She cracked me up! She laughed at random, walked back and forth behind her husband, grabbed him every two minutes, and the two of them started making out twice.

Before his speech, they had video clips of various caucuses. One was being held at an elderly lady's home and she told the cameraman that she had gotten four Bush phone calls, asking for her support. As she told about it, the phone rang and it turned out to be *another* Bush solicitation. She answered and said "NO! We don't like Bush at all, WE'RE DEMOCRATS!" and hung up.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
My fave quote of the night?

It's from Former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-WY)

"Howard Dean looked like a prairie dog on speed!"

-referring to HoDe's maniacal shouting during his concession speech.

way to go, old man!
Dean looked very unpresidential. He's done. His 15 minutes are up.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Did anyone see Kerry's wife last night during Kerry's winning speech? She cracked me up! She laughed at random, walked back and forth behind her husband, grabbed him every two minutes, and the two of them started making out twice.

Before his speech, they had video clips of various caucuses. One was being held at an elderly lady's home and she told the cameraman that she had gotten four Bush phone calls, asking for her support. As she told about it, the phone rang and it turned out to be *another* Bush solicitation. She answered and said "NO! We don't like Bush at all, WE'RE DEMOCRATS!" and hung up.
She was a riot! She said "We have to do one more thing before we can have wine." Sounds like a fun caucus.
On another note, it did my heart good to see Teddy Kennedy and Max Cleland on that stage with him. Teresa was fab.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Pat Buchanan calls for Bush's resignation:

Journalist turned Republican presidential candidate John Buchanan has issued a challenge to George W. Bush: either re-write the State of the Union address to acknowledge his administration's advance knowledge of the threat of a September 11th-style attacks on the United States, or resign the presidency, effective immediately.

Buchanan, speaking from the campaign trail in New Hampshire, announced a last minute campaign to flood the White House with phone calls and emails demanding that Bush re-write or resign.

He has carried the challenge to talk radio in 9 states and has enlisted the help of progressive web sites to get the message out.

Buchanan urges you to phone the White House switchboard at 202-456-1414 or send an email to president@whitehouse.gov. Deliver the simple message to George W. Bush: 'Re-write or resign!'