User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Well when he first left after Tango (and this was much closer to the worst times in their history) she was jumping with joy then flash forward a couple of years and she's crying that their relationship is dead and that he no longer speaks to her. So honestly anything is possible, especially with someone like Stevie who changes her mind a lot and is naturally dramatic (I also believe she's not been in a normal headspace since TP died). But it's true that their age isn't helping.
On the contrary she was so incensed by him leaving in 1987 that in her own words she ran across the room at him and tried to kill him.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
As someone said in a different thread, following this logic, FM should have broken up when Bob Welch left the band... and if that had happened, we wouldn't be having this discussion because Lindsey and Stevie wouldn't have had the opportunity to join. And you even say yourself, "unless they were bringing back Peter Green himself," which implies you would have accepted his return to replace Lindsey.

Before, I would have agreed with you about their legacy possibly being tarnished. However, a FM tour consisting of Mick, John, Dave Mason, Billy Burnette, and Bekka Bramlett is much different than a FM lineup consisting of Mick, John, Christine, Stevie, Mike Campbell, and Neil Finn. Especially with Mike Campbell, right there with Christine and Stevie.

Is it unfortunate? YES! But this lineup tarnishing their legacy? Don't see it.
I agree that Mike and Neil are superior replacements to Rick and Billy but this time they have fired one of their own and so late in the game .It is preposterous to think that this new lineup will result in a change in fortunes like the 1975 band .The remaining 4 are all in their 70s ! . Fleetwood Mac was Peter Green's band. It was even called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and he was also the member in the entire history of the band with the most raw talent.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 05-13-2018 at 08:11 AM..
Old 05-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Keith
This message has been deleted by Keith.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I agree that Mike and Neil are superior replacements to Rick and Billy but this time they have fired one of their own and so late in the game .It is preposterous to think that this new lineup will result in a change in fortunes like the 1975 band .The remaining 4 are all in their 70s ! . Fleetwood Mac was Peter Green's band. It was even called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and he was also the member in the entire history of the band with the most raw talent.
I definitely see your point, and agree that this new lineup will never experience a renaissance like they did when Lindsey and Stevie joined. However, that doesn't mean their legacy will be tarnished just because they will never have another #1 album of new material. Even with Lindsey, the band would never have had successes like they had in their prime. Radio won't play a new FM song no matter who is in the band.

Again, using the logic that the band should have gone out on top, then the Dance should have been the last we ever saw of Fleetwood Mac, when Christine left. Instead, Mick, John, Lindsey, and Stevie soldiered on and toured several more times and recorded twice without Christine- did that tarnish their legacy? No. I know you're going to respond by saying "but they fired Lindsey," but objectively speaking, it doesn't matter. If there is a problem, the band has the right to fire someone. Just like if there is a problem, a member has the right to quit the band. The band doesn't have to keep someone out of loyalty. It's harsh but true. All the band members have sacrificed things for FM, and they all got a huge return for their sacrifices.

More importantly, a FM touring lineup with Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Neil Finn, and Mike Campbell could never be seen as a blemish on their history. In fact, if anything, history will probably say FM lived up their history of drama and lineup changes right up to the end.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
More importantly, a FM touring lineup with Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Neil Finn, and Mike Campbell could never be seen as a blemish on their history. In fact, if anything, history will probably say FM lived up their history of drama and lineup changes right up to the end.
And, it’s not like this tour was ever going to add to the band’s legacy, even if there wasn’t a split with Lindsey. It was always going to just be a celebration of a legacy. Which legacy is the big difference, IMO. Lindsey talks about the band’s 43 year legacy, Mick seems to be focused on the band’s 50 year legacy. But, really, what better way to celebrate the band’s legacy than to have unexpected drama up until the very end? It really doesn’t get more Fleetwood Mac than that.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I disagree on that. They could not handle their inner band fights, but instead of calling it quits with dignity, they decided to hire two random blokes and tour as if nothing had happened - for money and money alone.
I'm sorry but for me the legacy of the current incarnation of this band is that they are the most sneaky, ungrateful and greedy people who ever shared a stage.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
I disagree on that. They could not handle their inner band fights, but instead of calling it quits with dignity, they decided to hire two random blokes and tour as if nothing had happened - for money and money alone.
I'm sorry but for me the legacy of the current incarnation of this band is that they are the most sneaky, ungrateful and greedy people who ever shared a stage.
I agree with you--there is a definite air of greed to this stunt, and Mick said it himself, it's a new band. The most celebrated line up of this band is the one that is most largely recognized by fans. And that's the Rumors lineup. I am not saying that's right or wrong, but there is an element of truth their that I don't think can be ignored. Otherwise--why make such a BIG deal when Christine came back (or when Lindsey left and Stevie begged him to play at Clinton's inauguration....didn't she claim she would Never speak to him again if he didn't....bet he wishes he had a crystal ball ) Granted Christine and Peter and all the prior departures were before the time of social media, so didn't nearly get the focus and attention that Lindsey's firing has.
This latest stunt by this group wreaks of greed, dishonesty, and a heaping dose of diva that prior "riffs" didn't.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Spot on.

I truly think the band underestimates the level that Lindsey took them to. They should have just called it a day. Because.this.is.embarrassing.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
But, really, what better way to celebrate the band’s legacy than to have unexpected drama up until the very end? It really doesn’t get more Fleetwood Mac than that.
exactly! they are back to their legacy of being the laughing stock - band of immature individuals jumping at each others' throat. i'd rather jack legacy.

the new part is obvious greed. they didn't really have a public legacy of that, even though fans always knew it, especially about Mick.

neither is the legacy LB wanted for FM, especially not since rejoining for the Dance in their more sober period.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Yes, you either do or you don't! Love OOTC! Was listening to it this past week. How, or why that album didn't get more recognition is beyond me. I think it's a masterpiece!
totally agree! And wish he'd play stuff off it in his shows, even just once in a while.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
And, it’s not like this tour was ever going to add to the band’s legacy, even if there wasn’t a split with Lindsey.
All too true, Steve. The upcoming tour is a copy of a copy of a . . . every Fleetwood Mac tour since 2003. Its legacy will be only one of commercial conquest. But the band legacy could have been something more substantial if Mick and Stevie had agreed to a new album under the band name. They did not. Even if an album doesn't score commercially, it still makes a statement about wanting to live and create in the Here and Now. Stevie and Mick don't seem to care about making such a statement. They back away from recording because of commercial reasons. That's the legacy the fans on the board here are referring to: the legacy of "If it doesn't fill our coffers, we won't bother doing it."

Quote:
It was always going to just be a celebration of a legacy.
That's a polite way to put it -- that's how Lindsey put it the last two or three arena tours of classic rock hits. I don't think he believed much of it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this Australian article has LB's speech transcribed, complete with his political remarks (so heads up to stay away people who do not want to read those!) -

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...4aee8be50075fb

Fleetwood Mac star Lindsey Buckingham breaks silence on his firing from iconic band

LINDSEY Buckingham has broken his silence about his shock sacking from iconic band Fleetwood Mac, and the guitarist took a few digs at his former colleagues.

AP
News Corp Australia NetworkMAY 14, 20181:13AM

Lindsey Buckingham is out of Fleetwood Mac — again. Picture: David CroslingSource:News Corp Australia

LINDSEY Buckingham has described his departure from Fleetwood Mac as “not my doing or my choice”.

The band announced in April that they would tour without the musician, who wrote and sang on some of their biggest hits, including Go Your Own Way and Tusk. Buckingham had been a member since he joined the group in 1974 with his then-girlfriend Stevie Nicks.

During a set at a campaign fundraiser for Democratic congressional candidate Mike Levin in Los Angeles, Buckingham was filmed speaking about his firing.

The legendary Fleetwood Mac line-up: Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine and John McVie. Picture: Supplied
The legendary Fleetwood Mac line-up: Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine and John McVie. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Corp Australia

In the video, which was shared on YouTube and Twitter, he said: “It’s been an interesting time on a lot of levels. For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac.

“This was not something that was really my doing or my choice. I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective.”

He added: ” What that did was to harm — and this is the only thing I’m really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity — it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build.

“That legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfil one’s higher truth and one’s higher destiny.”

Lindsey Buckingham speaks about his exit from Fleetwood Mac. Picture. YouTube

Lindsey Buckingham said the band had “lost perspective”. Picture: YouTube

Buckingham also spoke about a “loss of perspective” in Washington, saying: “The loss of perspective we see now is indeed threatening to harm the legacy that is the United States.

“In the context of that you’ve got to think of what needs to be done. “It is not going come from the top down, it is going come from the ground up. This is why we are here.

Ex-lovers Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham have had a famously volatile relationship. Picture: Supplied

“And so, I am most honoured and most pleased to have been asked in my own small way to help in that pushback which very, very much needs to happen in order to continue the legacy that we all have come to value.”

The group will tour later this year with Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers’ guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House frontman Neil Finn.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
All too true, Steve. The upcoming tour is a copy of a copy of a . . . every Fleetwood Mac tour since 2003. Its legacy will be only one of commercial conquest. But the band legacy could have been something more substantial if Mick and Stevie had agreed to a new album under the band name. They did not. Even if an album doesn't score commercially, it still makes a statement about wanting to live and create in the Here and Now. Stevie and Mick don't seem to care about making such a statement. They back away from recording because of commercial reasons. That's the legacy the fans on the board here are referring to: the legacy of "If it doesn't fill our coffers, we won't bother doing it."
That's the $TEVIE and Mick legacy. All commerce, with zero artistry.

We know who the only artistic one is. They fired him. Stupid whores.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's the $TEVIE and Mick legacy. All commerce, with zero artistry.
Once their tour is over, I wouldn't put it past Mi˘k to suggest $tevie launch her own chain of restaurants based on his Maui-based business endeavor.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You guys know that video of the Hillary Clinton supporter having a total breakdown after Trump won and saying she needed an ambulance and that they "better ****** fix this"? That was me when I first found out Lindsey was fired.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Once their tour is over, I wouldn't put it past Mi˘k to suggest $tevie launch her own chain of restaurants based on his Maui-based business endeavor.
I love me some fajitas! But I do prefer beef over goat.