The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the first single, In My World?
I love it! 14 13.86%
I like it! 39 38.61%
It's ok. 24 23.76%
It sucks. There better be better songs than this on the album. 12 11.88%
It's a strong, creative first single. 3 2.97%
Production is too thin. Needs to be more lush. 5 4.95%
Production is perfect, song is weak. 4 3.96%
Makes me want to buy the album. 3 2.97%
Want a Christine song to be first single. 11 10.89%
I'm devastated. High hopes are dashed. Make me want to slit my wrist 3 2.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default In My World single, rate it

How do you feel about the first single?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would rate it as good but not great a 3.5 out of a possible 5 stars.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well written, nicely played and produced. Lots to love although Christine's missing in action is a bit of a misfire- song would have jumped several notches with her warm, lush singing in the chorus.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for not bringing Stevie in the mix.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I tend to not listen to Lindsey's solo albums because they lack that distinct "warm" quality that FM albums have. The metallic production on most of SYW turned me off slightly, so I'm guessing this is only going to be an extension of that.. Hopefully Chris breathes some life and soul back into this.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
I tend to not listen to Lindsey's solo albums because they lack that distinct "warm" quality that FM albums have. The metallic production on most of SYW turned me off slightly, so I'm guessing this is only going to be an extension of that.. Hopefully Chris breathes some life and soul back into this.
I guess you must like this then since it's exactly diametrically opposite to Lindsey solo or SYW stuff.

My vote went for it sucks, there better be other completely different songs on the album. Some that are actually Lindsey solo quality would be nice.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
I guess you must like this then since it's exactly diametrically opposite to Lindsey solo or SYW stuff.

My vote went for it sucks, there better be other completely different songs on the album. Some that are actually Lindsey solo quality would be nice.
I voted for it sucks as well. But I should clarify, because SYW and his solo stuff is far and away better than this production wise. Even if it's not exactly what I like, I know that whatever this could turn into has the potential to be exponentially worse.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
There is an aloofness to the production that is totally Lindsey Buckingham. He likes things to sound organic but not perfect. However, this is basically a Fleetwood Mac album and people are expecting perfection and warmth. (Not another Tusk.)

I really like this but I have to really listen hard to it to really, really like it. The production is too thin. It's not warm and instant. Also, I keep wanting him to change it to make it better. It doesn't feel perfected. Little Lies, Seven Wonders, Big Love are perfected songs. When I listened to them I didn't want them changed. When I listen to this, I keep wishing he would do this or that, which tells me I want more than what he gave us. Still I like it, but don't love it. It's hard to say how I really feel about it. It's an eerie, off-putting song.

Last edited by Jondalar; 04-14-2017 at 09:36 AM..
Old 04-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if perfection is what's really bothering me though... Nobody should expect Rumours, or even Mirage because that's just not going to happen again. Lindsey's songs on Tusk are imperfect, but have an atmospheric quality to them that I love, and I think most people do as well.

That being said, it's hard to compare to anything produced almost 40 years ago. It would be ridiculous to wish for another "classic album" at this stage in their careers. But what I was hoping for was stylistic progression. Yes, this sounds more "modern", but at what cost? There are so many artists today that follow the FM formula when it comes to making records, and the end result is sometimes lush, sometimes sparse, always interesting and progressive-sounding at times.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It sounds like it could have been on Under The Skin...why not have Chris in backing vocals at least? The Big Love part ticks me off too...the song is ok and I don't mind the production but there better be something more than this with Chris in the mix to get me excited...
Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I finally heard it. I like it. Not crazy about it, but it's decent and catchy. A little too prominent delay on the vocals on the chorus, but whatevs...

Like everyone else, WHERE IS CHRISTINE?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart I love it

I'm wondering where Christine's vocals are too, but perhaps they didn't really mean DUETS album. Perhaps it's 1 song from LB, 1 from Chris and so on?

That said, I do really love it. It immediately made me think of Tango when I heard the 30 second snip. (I figure Gerald would hate the sh*t out of this. LOL) Now that I've heard the entire song on YouTube, I love it! The melody, LB's dreamy (not whispery) singing, the LB signature humming and wierdo noises, etc. It's all there and pretty to listen to. This is basically the easiest sound LB can make to appeal to FM fans but still stay in the realm of his solo stuff with the wierdo stuff. LOL I like this much better than Did You Miss Me. I'm a big Tango fan, so I am loving this nostalgic yet updated sound.

SUPER excited about the album and can't wait to hear Chris's songs!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted: Production is perfect, song is weak. I didn't read what came after the comma ...

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was really disappointed with this song. I can't believe this is the lead off single. I am a huge fan of FM, and this song does nothing for me. I don't hate it, but it's so forgettable. And as a huge fan of FM, if I have this reaction, I'm worried about what the casual listener will think.

Adding my voice to the chorus, it is silly to promote this album as a duets album, like they've been doing, and release a single that is not only not a duet, but without any background or harmony with Christine on it. Even more disappointing, this song will probably be performed live by them since it's a single, when I could think of a dozen other songs fans would rather hear them play.

My expectations have suddenly went way down
Old 04-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
it is silly to promote this album as a duets album, like they've been doing, and release a single that is not only not a duet, but without any background or harmony with Christine on it.
My thoughts exactly.