The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:45 PM

The last time these 5 people recorded an album together was 26+ years ago. Wow. Tango in the Night was their last album, so hard to grasp.

I think Christine is in. Her voice and quotes tell me she's fine with a tour. She's tired of sitting on her bum and like MIck said, "it's not healthy".

Stevie always has material. I just hope they can all mesh their tunes to make it sound cohesive, and have a concept. Also, (and this is a big one) re-record all the material as a band. I would love for it to sound like a band and not a cut and paste job.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hear you but I think it will be a cut and paste album.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I agree that the Mac hasn't worked quickly in the recording studio since 1975. However, recording technology has taken a giant leap forward since the last time Fleetwood Mac recorded a full album. There are no longer tapes, tape machines, layering of different instrumental/vocal recordings, etc to worry about. Now everything is instantly recorded digitally, can be instantly played back, & is instantly configurable thanks to things like ProTools. Without You was completely recorded in what, like 2 days? Fleetwood Mac probably WILL take their time recording new work, but they don't have to.
exactly!! yes to all of this. it's not like they haven't put anything out lately, as a band, that hasn't been put together quickly.

the only thing that can be stopping them from putting the album together quickly is if their inter-band politics is still at the childish level it seemed to have been over the last decade (judging from DR doc and various statements). but EP and especially that fast recording of WY seems to indicate they are finally over all that now.

once they have album done they can play new songs in concert, even if the album is not officially out yet. as far as actually putting it out, i suspect they'll maybe try to go with the big record label again, and those negotiations seem to take time plus there's more boardroom politics involved than if they just put it out themselves like they did with their EP. and whoever they have as their PR etc people, those are way behind in any social media savvy, etc, if they put it out on their own. you'd think with their money and connections they can get anybody they want and hire someone who actually knows how to do this stuff, but judging by the EP that really nobody knew was out, with the only advertising being that 1 week at itunes cover page, they are not hiring the right people. which is a shame. whatever they put out doesn't have to be a smash or have huge sales, but it would be nice if people would at least hear that is out.

on the other hand, Lindsey personally telling his diehards from the stage, not in the mic but still where people upfront could clearly hear him, that they will be back in the summer was pretty savvy, no? this whole board has been buzzing about it since. WelshWitchPMD has got it on video, and it's on youtube. fans on facebook and tumblr and twitter have been buzzing about it. it's still small and limited to fans following the band, but still, obviously they can do it, sometimes - at least start to use social media power appropriately, a little bit.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

on the other hand, Lindsey personally telling his diehards from the stage, not in the mic but still where people upfront could clearly hear him, that they will be back in the summer was pretty savvy, no? this whole board has been buzzing about it since. WelshWitchPMD has got it on video, and it's on youtube. fans on facebook and tumblr and twitter have been buzzing about it. it's still small and limited to fans following the band, but still, obviously they can do it, sometimes - at least start to use social media power appropriately, a little bit.
YES!! Social media has definitely been playing a role and I hope it continues to grow with the new generation of fans that has cropped up with this tour (myself included). We need the power!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadAngel86 View Post
YES!! Social media has definitely been playing a role and I hope it continues to grow with the new generation of fans that has cropped up with this tour (myself included). We need the power!
yup. you know another reaaally social media savvy thing, that SN did at that last show? dedicating Landslide to Katy Perry who was backstage. amplifying all over social media that John Mayer hijacked her twitter acct to report about that is still all over the place, wherever you look.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-05-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
yup. you know another reaaally social media savvy thing, that SN did at that last show? dedicating Landslide to Katy Perry who was backstage. amplifying all over social media that John Mayer hijacked her twitter acct to report about that is still all over the place, wherever you look.
Who says they are poor at marketing?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without you in two days is not a norm. It sounds horrible. The fact that Lindsey worked out 8 songs and recorded them with Mick and John and Mitchell Froom in about six weeks, however, gives hope. I think it can be done in 5 months.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
See, a lot of people complain when Stevie declares her love of (insert popular song of the week here) because they think the music is bad or that the artist is a kook or whatever else.

But Stevie's smart. I don't think she's being fake - she probably really does like these people -but I do think that she knows what she's doing when she name drops them. Every time she does it gets quoted in several different publications and buzzes around on social media. By associating with contemporary acts it gets her own name out there.

Last edited by WildHearted; 01-05-2014 at 05:32 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think they will record an album by the summer and I wouldn't want them to anyway. If they are recording as five, they need more time together, I don't care what digital technology allows them to slap together. Creatively, it takes time and time all in the same place, not emailing attachments to each other.

If they go out on tour, I don't think it's going to be behind an album. It's probably some make up junk or some big money festival offer that they couldn't refuse.

Michele
Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
5 Lindsey - done
4 Christine - demos sent
3 Stevie - Leftovers from IYD
what songs of Lindsey's? the ones off EP or new ones?
Sad Angel def needs to be on there
and Stevie needs to pull out If You Were My Love ala Mirage and have FM record it

i will be easy pleased
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If we see something materialize on the album front by this time 2015 I'll be very pleasantly suprised. Scratch that, I'd be completely AMAZED!

I'd expect a small tour first, since it's the most obvious money maker. If and when they release new music as a fivesome, I also wouldn't be suprised if situations have changed by then and we don't get another full-fledged tour.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
If we see something materialize on the album front by this time 2015 I'll be very pleasantly suprised. Scratch that, I'd be completely AMAZED!

I'd expect a small tour first, since it's the most obvious money maker. If and when they release new music as a fivesome, I also wouldn't be suprised if situations have changed by then and we don't get another full-fledged tour.
I like that! Fleetwood Mac around xmas time is awesome.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I like that! Fleetwood Mac around xmas time is awesome.
Since you mentioned it, I prefer FM in an arena (as opposed to an amphitheater) myself.

On the other hand, SN solo shows always conjure images of being outdoors, probably sweating like an animal, and trudging up (or down) a hill to find my seat!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope the EP is not an indication of what the album will be like.i feel like the band has followed the exact same pattern twice in their careers. I would compare the dance to rumours, the bands huge commercial successes 20 years apart. Then they follow it up with an adventerous, great album. Say wha you want about 2 solo,albums, not cohesive, where's Christine, but I freaking still love say you will. I like tusk WAY more. I would take out 3 songs from each writer to make it more perfect but it's full of really incredible songs. And call in non cohesive if you must, but I think Murrow next to Illume absolutely sound like they belong on the same album together, and then to follow that up with the classic sounding thrown down is the same concept as having Sara next to wmytyto. How is it any different.

But anyways the third and most annoying part of the band repeating itself, is them being afraid of said experimental album and feeling the need to artificially manufacture their more "fleetwood Mac like" sound. I mean Lindsey basically came out and said that's what he did with his 8 songs. And without you is just Awful. The only silver lining with wy is I'll take the awful song being allowed to be on the EP since it led to the awesome intros on the tour. but just months earlier stevie recorded the wonderful you can't fix this. They wouldn't be going all mirage and try to manufacture a sound. They should just continue on whatever musical path they are going on as individuals and bring that together in fleetwood Mac and see what happens. Lindsey should be doing his one takes and illuminations and Stevie should be doing you can't fix this and moonlight level material, just getting Lindsey's spin on those. And if Christine is thrown in the mix, even better.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I hope the EP is not an indication of what the album will be like.i feel like the band has followed the exact same pattern twice in their careers. I would compare the dance to rumours, the bands huge commercial successes 20 years apart. Then they follow it up with an adventerous, great album. Say wha you want about 2 solo,albums, not cohesive, where's Christine, but I freaking still love say you will. I like tusk WAY more. I would take out 3 songs from each writer to make it more perfect but it's full of really incredible songs. And call in non cohesive if you must, but I think Murrow next to Illume absolutely sound like they belong on the same album together, and then to follow that up with the classic sounding thrown down is the same concept as having Sara next to wmytyto. How is it any different.

But anyways the third and most annoying part of the band repeating itself, is them being afraid of said experimental album and feeling the need to artificially manufacture their more "fleetwood Mac like" sound. I mean Lindsey basically came out and said that's what he did with his 8 songs. And without you is just Awful. The only silver lining with wy is I'll take the awful song being allowed to be on the EP since it led to the awesome intros on the tour. but just months earlier stevie recorded the wonderful you can't fix this. They wouldn't be going all mirage and try to manufacture a sound. They should just continue on whatever musical path they are going on as individuals and bring that together in fleetwood Mac and see what happens. Lindsey should be doing his one takes and illuminations and Stevie should be doing you can't fix this and moonlight level material, just getting Lindsey's spin on those. And if Christine is thrown in the mix, even better.
Well, the thing about You Can't Fix This is that Stevie didn't write the music for it. Dave Grohl did, and he said he realized when he wrote it that it sounded like an FM song which is why he never finished it (until the collab with Stevie happened). And with the whole Sound City thing being all about that whole early era with the Neve console and everything, I'm pretty sure that it was intentionally produced to sound like it could have been a 70s FM song.

So really, that's not any different from what Lindsey & company have allegedly tried to do with these new FM tracks. It's just different people doing it with varying amounts of success