Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' at 35: Still the 'perfect album'

By Katie McLaughlin, CNN
updated 9:56 AM EDT, Tue June 26, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/26/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c2

(CNN) -- After a year of 10-to-14 hour workdays, the use of seven recording studios and just under $1 million in production costs, Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" was released in 1977 -- and it hasn't fallen out of rotation since.

The classic disc was the No. 1 album on the charts for 31 weeks, with Rolling Stone naming "Rumours" the 25th greatest album of all time. It is the 10th best-selling album ever with more than 40 million copies sold to date, and it features four top 10 singles.

It won the 1977 best album Grammy and, 35 years later, remains the band's most successful effort.

Ken Caillat, author of the new book, "Making Rumours: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album," was the iconic album's engineer/co-producer. (He's also the father of Grammy-winning singer Colbie Caillat and produced her No. 1 album, "Breakthrough.")

Ken Caillat today.
"Rumours," Caillat said, is the "perfect album because it had this really great combination of lyrics and ... well-thought-out musical components," he told CNN. "It's the perfect ride for the perfect time."

But Fleetwood Mac's story began in another decade on another continent. And as fate would have it, the only two members who were with the group from the start are its namesakes: Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

Fleetwood Mac was originally a blues-format group formed in England in 1967 by Fleetwood, McVie, Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer.

In 1970, Green left the group and McVie's wife, keyboardist/vocalist Christine McVie, joined. Spencer left that same year, and the late guitarist Bob Welch joined. The group relocated to California in 1974.

Welch, who took his own life earlier this month, resigned in December 1974 and was replaced by guitarist/vocalist Lindsey Buckingham and vocalist Stevie Nicks. By the time Buckingham and Nicks joined, Fleetwood Mac had put out 10 albums but had yet to have a big hit in the U.S.

The 'Rumours' album cover.
In the book, Caillat described "Rumours," Fleetwood Mac's second album with Nicks and Buckingham, as "a journey that a handful of people ... took during the mid-1970s." It was "made out of flaws in the human spirit, sometimes through agonizing determination, love, lust, and a force of will that made failure unthinkable."

Recording began on "Rumours" on January 28, 1976, at the Record Plant in Sausalito, California. Twelve days earlier, Caillat had never even heard of the band, but that would soon change because 1975's eponymous "Fleetwood Mac" album ("Rhiannon," "Say You Love Me") was beginning to climb the charts.

"What's ironic is that throughout the 'Rumours' journey, Fleetwood Mac went from one end of the fame spectrum to the other," Caillat noted. "That day in Sausalito, when we walked into the studio to start recording, they were an established band, but you could hardly say they were rock stars. Before we even released 'Rumours,' that had changed dramatically."

Although Nicks arguably became the best-known member of Fleetwood Mac, when they first started recording "Rumours," many involved with the project thought she was the band's weakest link, Caillat said.

"She was somewhat of a sweet hippie chick, and she didn't have a lot of technical knowledge about music and instrumentation," he said. "Ultimately, her ethereal songwriting and vocals added a dimension ... that was every bit as essential as any other band member's contributions." (Incidentally, Nicks wrote the band's only No. 1 hit, "Dreams.")

Caillat described Buckingham, who often clashed with band mates, as "extraordinarily talented" as well as "unpredictable," "brilliant but difficult."

However, Caillat said, "with Lindsey's contribution ... everyone in the world who'd ever heard a song on the radio would eventually know who Fleetwood Mac was by the time 'Rumours' had run its course."

In the book, Caillat described the unique way in which Buckingham taught himself guitar.

He uses his fingernails instead of a pick, which is quite common, except instead of plucking strings upward individually, he can play more than one string at a time by stroking down --- and up -- with the backs of his nails, which allows him to play several notes at once. Buckingham honed this skill years before joining Fleetwood Mac when he was bedridden with mononucleosis for six months.

At the time they were recording the album, all five band mates were going through painful breakups: The McVies were divorcing, Buckingham and Nicks' long-term relationship was coming to a bitter end and Fleetwood's wife was about to leave him for his best friend. It's all personal drama that Caillat chronicles in his book.

"In retrospect, it's a miracle that we were able to finish 'Rumours,' " he said. "But later, I came to understand that 'Rumours' probably succeeded because it was brilliant group therapy. ... It's horrible that if it hadn't been for all of the relationship turmoil in the band, you wouldn't know this record any better than some of the previous Fleetwood Mac records."

Sadness was contagious in the studio, which Caillat said was besieged with arguments, drugs and alcohol.

During the summer of '76, the band took a break from recording "Rumours" to go on tour to promote their "Fleetwood Mac" album. It was the first time Buckingham and Nicks had played in front of a very large crowd, and the concert tour propelled the band to superstardom.

Even though "Fleetwood Mac" was released in July of 1975, it finally hit No. 1 in September of 1976. As soon as the album began to lose momentum, the record label wanted the band to have the first single off "Rumours" -- "Go Your Own Way" -- ready to go.

Caillat recalled that it was John McVie who came up with the album's title.

"John told us about a brainstorm he had recently had," he said. "With all the rumors flying around about this album, why don't we call the album 'Rumours'? But let's spell it the English way."

Another major step involved in creating what would become an iconic album was selecting song sequence, which was "crucial because it can make or break the album's success." The idea was to make it compelling and tell a story through music.

"Back then," Caillat said, "running orders were important; and because it was vinyl, you'd put the needle down and listen to side one all the way through to side two, and it was just like going to Six Flags -- you'd get lifted up on a high song and it'd slow down a bit; again, perfect! And I can only take a little bit of credit for that, but I was really proud to be a part of that."

Caillat told CNN that he believes "Rumours" still resonates to this day "because it's great music. It happened to be created out of a lot of pain and suffering and sincerity and it just so happens that every song is great, every lyric is great, and every song has something that seems to appeal to someone -- except me."

That's right -- Caillat can no longer bear to listen to "Rumours."

"I see all the little pieces and I can visualize the arguments and I see the assembly of it all," he said. "I can see behind the curtain, so to speak."

However, part of the reason Caillat knew that the story of "Rumours" needed to be told was because "we experienced something extraordinary, something bigger than all of us."
Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On the CNN page for this article, the story highlights state this:
When recording began, Fleetwood Mac had yet to have a hit in the U.S.

Huh? Rhiannon, Say You Love Me, Over My head were hits in the US, no?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post

Yes, and because that first album was doing well was one of the reasons Ken said he was eager to work with them. Of course, it continued to gain steam even while they were working on #2.

Interesting that he says he can no longer bear to listen to Rumours.

Michele
Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, and because that first album was doing well was one of the reasons Ken said he was eager to work with them. Of course, it continued to gain steam even while they were working on #2. White hadn't peaked yet, when they began production.

Michele
Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, that pretty much makes 2 of us. Neither can I.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I just checked - these tunes didn't chart until Spring/Summer/Fall '76 - after the recording of Rumours began. So technically that statement is correct.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I just checked - these tunes didn't chart until Spring/Summer/Fall '76 - after the recording of Rumours began. So technically that statement is correct.
Oh wow. I checked too and it seems Over My Head peaked on the Hot 100 Billboard Chart/US on January 17, 1976.
Did production start for Rumours in February 1976? So technically if the latter is true, then the article is not exactly true.
Overall, I guess it's not too important and obviously I have issues with CNN.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rookie Mag
http://rookiemag.com/2012/08/tunes-for-travelers/

Rumours
Fleetwood Mac
1977, Warner Bros.

It often begins with a tacit love of Stevie. You need to hear her soft craggy voice, you find yourself listening to “Gold Dust Woman.” You dig the hits, you cringe a little when you hear Lindsey Buckingham sing, “Lay me down in the tall grass / And let me do my stuff,” because you know he is talking about doing “stuff” to/with Stevie, and it’s kind of like watching your parents flirt. You stare at the cover and wonder, Did Mick Fleetwood dress like he was going to a ren fair all the time? Why are there balls hanging from his pants? and find that your pattern for listening to the record has changed. Rather than skipping to just the Stevie songs and then the hits in the order you prefer, you now listen to the whole thing, start to finish. By summer’s end, you have realized that Christine McVie sighing “Oh, Daddy” is the heaviest moment of the record, and that she is the unsung genius of the band in her blousy gownage. You get lost in the pure Los Angeles magic of the album: the nigh time songs are spare and sparkly, the daytime songs are full and bright, bleached in the sun. The California of Rumours is not the California we previously knew of from pop records—it is not beaches, cars, bikini’d girls all a-frolic in the adolescent memories of men. Rumours is dark hippie glamour. It is up in the shade and shadow of the hills; it is the drive from Topanga Canyon to Malibu at night; it is grown up, complex, and bleak. —Jessica
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Again .The lazy media skipped doing their research homework.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Indeed Still the 'perfect album' .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Again .The lazy media skipped doing their research homework.
I think Rhiannon and SYLM only became hits once they started recording Rumours? I think Ken mentioned it in his book? But they seem to forgot about Over My Head though.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still in Rotation is a feature that lets talented writers tell Midlife Mixtape readers about an album they discovered years ago that’s still in heavy rotation, and why it has such staying power. Want to play? Email dj@midlifemixtape.com with “Guest Post” in the subject line.

http://midlifemixtape.com/2012/08/st...n-rumours.html

Still in Rotation: Rumours (Fleetwood Mac)

By Nancy Davis Kho · August10th,2012

Today’s guest post is by my friend across the Bay, Tarja a.k.a The Flying Chalupa. Funny as all get out, Tarja also has a distinctive and poetic voice that puts her a cut above most humor writers. I’d resent her for being so much younger than I, but for the fact that she’s still changing diapers and I’ve gone a full decade without touching one. And even if she’s entirely wrinkle-free, she has the good sense to keep Rumours – the second album I ever owned - on heavy rotation over at her place.

Fleetwood Mac was an oasis in the desert for me. And while I grew up in the literal desert of Saudi Arabia, I’m talking about a pop cultural desert, because, well, it was Saudi Arabia. There was no radio and there was certainly no MTV. There was Channel 3, which started at 4:00pm and was interrupted by Prayer Intermission at least twice.

I grew up with whatever music my parents brought back from our vacations to the States, and in 1987, Fleetwood Mac Rumours hit me like a ton of acoustic bricks. Yes, for those who are counting, that would be ten years after the album debuted, truly second hand news, but wondrous to my ten-year-old ears: sexy, romantic, illicit even. These were not sedate people, these were people of action creating music of movement! The songs required singing and dancing! Stevie Nicks was wearing black pointe shoes on the album cover! This was no traditional performance of Coppelia – this was the daring and unpredictable theater of the heart. As a rule-following pink pointe shoe ballet dancer, I was hooked.

The beauty of Fleetwood Mac is that the fun of pop is grounded by a bluesy sensibility, with the voices of Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks bringing an emotional depth to Lindsey Buckingham’s eyeliner – I mean, guitar. I adore individual songs from other albums like “Rhiannon” and “Little Lies” and “Landslide,” but it’s the whole composition of the Rumours album that hits all points so well: high and low; light and dark.

The inkling of sex that the album revealed to me in 1987 was, of course, the romantic entanglements of the band. There was Lindsey and Stevie with their on-off affair, Christine and John McVie had divorced, and Mick Fleetwood discovered his wife was having an affair with his best friend. So what I’m saying is…Rumours is defined by love, the lack of it, the joy, the betrayal.

All I knew was that Lindsey wanted someone to lay him down in the tall grass and let him do his stuff (bow-bow-bow-bow-bow-bow-doo-de-doodlee-doo!) and jesus could that man play the guitar. He might have a name that would get him pummeled by a Texas pee-wee football team, but Lindsey Buckingham’s work on “Never Going Back Again” is pure magic.

Rumours took me through the horror of high school based solely on my certainty that Stevie Nicks wrote “Dreams” about how teenage boys were assholes: ”thunder only happens when it’s raining, players only love you when they’re playing.” Speak it, sister. ****ing players. Sob! Let me sell you my dreams of loneliness!

And here’s where the album provided much fodder for my theatrical nature. While a part of me loved – and took seriously – the drama of the songs, another part of me – let’s call her “John Cleese” – enjoyed ridiculing this very drama. Especially on the song “Oh Daddy.” OH DADDY! Is that great or what? It is this very song that epitomizes 1970′s cheeseball. Together now, let us picture the band in their little Sausalito recording studio (right down the street from me!), singing in all earnestness, “I’m so weak and you’re so strong!” With my sister harmonizing dramatically, “DAMMIT SO STRONG!”

So while I carry the beauty of “Songbird” and “Gold Dust Woman” with me, Rumours also provides me with a lot of laughs. Is that strange? I’ve felt so emotionally fulfilled by Fleetwood Mac, a band who’s watched me evolve through two and a half decades, and yet I have no desire to see how they’ve evolved. I don’t want to watch a reunion tour or TV special to remind me that they’re bloated and blasted from partying hard and that I’m bloated and blasted from mothering hard.

No. Stevie Nicks will always be wearing her black pointe shoes. Eyeliner and black vests will always accompany fingers that fly over a Gibson Les Paul guitar. The feathered hair nest still triumphs.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Still in Rotation is a feature that lets talented writers tell Midlife Mixtape readers about an album they discovered years ago that’s still in heavy rotation, and why it has such staying power. Want to play? Email dj@midlifemixtape.com with “Guest Post” in the subject line.

http://midlifemixtape.com/2012/08/st...n-rumours.html

Still in Rotation: Rumours (Fleetwood Mac)

By Nancy Davis Kho · August10th,2012

Today’s guest post is by my friend across the Bay, Tarja a.k.a The Flying Chalupa. Funny as all get out, Tarja also has a distinctive and poetic voice that puts her a cut above most humor writers. I’d resent her for being so much younger than I, but for the fact that she’s still changing diapers and I’ve gone a full decade without touching one. And even if she’s entirely wrinkle-free, she has the good sense to keep Rumours – the second album I ever owned - on heavy rotation over at her place.

Fleetwood Mac was an oasis in the desert for me. And while I grew up in the literal desert of Saudi Arabia, I’m talking about a pop cultural desert, because, well, it was Saudi Arabia. There was no radio and there was certainly no MTV. There was Channel 3, which started at 4:00pm and was interrupted by Prayer Intermission at least twice.

I grew up with whatever music my parents brought back from our vacations to the States, and in 1987, Fleetwood Mac Rumours hit me like a ton of acoustic bricks. Yes, for those who are counting, that would be ten years after the album debuted, truly second hand news, but wondrous to my ten-year-old ears: sexy, romantic, illicit even. These were not sedate people, these were people of action creating music of movement! The songs required singing and dancing! Stevie Nicks was wearing black pointe shoes on the album cover! This was no traditional performance of Coppelia – this was the daring and unpredictable theater of the heart. As a rule-following pink pointe shoe ballet dancer, I was hooked.

The beauty of Fleetwood Mac is that the fun of pop is grounded by a bluesy sensibility, with the voices of Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks bringing an emotional depth to Lindsey Buckingham’s eyeliner – I mean, guitar. I adore individual songs from other albums like “Rhiannon” and “Little Lies” and “Landslide,” but it’s the whole composition of the Rumours album that hits all points so well: high and low; light and dark.

The inkling of sex that the album revealed to me in 1987 was, of course, the romantic entanglements of the band. There was Lindsey and Stevie with their on-off affair, Christine and John McVie had divorced, and Mick Fleetwood discovered his wife was having an affair with his best friend. So what I’m saying is…Rumours is defined by love, the lack of it, the joy, the betrayal.

All I knew was that Lindsey wanted someone to lay him down in the tall grass and let him do his stuff (bow-bow-bow-bow-bow-bow-doo-de-doodlee-doo!) and jesus could that man play the guitar. He might have a name that would get him pummeled by a Texas pee-wee football team, but Lindsey Buckingham’s work on “Never Going Back Again” is pure magic.

Rumours took me through the horror of high school based solely on my certainty that Stevie Nicks wrote “Dreams” about how teenage boys were assholes: ”thunder only happens when it’s raining, players only love you when they’re playing.” Speak it, sister. ****ing players. Sob! Let me sell you my dreams of loneliness!

And here’s where the album provided much fodder for my theatrical nature. While a part of me loved – and took seriously – the drama of the songs, another part of me – let’s call her “John Cleese” – enjoyed ridiculing this very drama. Especially on the song “Oh Daddy.” OH DADDY! Is that great or what? It is this very song that epitomizes 1970′s cheeseball. Together now, let us picture the band in their little Sausalito recording studio (right down the street from me!), singing in all earnestness, “I’m so weak and you’re so strong!” With my sister harmonizing dramatically, “DAMMIT SO STRONG!”

So while I carry the beauty of “Songbird” and “Gold Dust Woman” with me, Rumours also provides me with a lot of laughs. Is that strange? I’ve felt so emotionally fulfilled by Fleetwood Mac, a band who’s watched me evolve through two and a half decades, and yet I have no desire to see how they’ve evolved. I don’t want to watch a reunion tour or TV special to remind me that they’re bloated and blasted from partying hard and that I’m bloated and blasted from mothering hard.

No. Stevie Nicks will always be wearing her black pointe shoes. Eyeliner and black vests will always accompany fingers that fly over a Gibson Les Paul guitar. The feathered hair nest still triumphs.
Everything about this made me happy!!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stuff.Co.NZ
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...ithout-Rumours

Album I couldn't live without: Rumours,

CHRIS HORMANN, 20/09/2012

The album I couldn't live without has to be one by Fleetwood Mac album.

And while I'm tempted to have Tusk as my essential album - an eclectic mix of pop, rock and primal scream therapy - it is hard to go past Rumours.

Every single track is essential but for different reasons and, for an album I have played hundreds of times, I still find new parts to enjoy.

Some regard this album as easy listening fluff, but it contains an incredibly dark heart which is offset by some of the most gorgeous melodies in popular music.

If I were to pick my top three tracks from the album, I would go with the beautiful simplicity of Never Going Back Again, the plea for unity of The Chain (the harmonies in the chorus kill me every time), while Silver Springs (originally only a B-side but restored to the album in later releases) is the reason I love Stevie Nicks, all stalker menace crossed with plaintive regret.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...ithout-Rumours

Album I couldn't live without: Rumours

CHRIS HORMANN Last updated 07:31 20/09/2012

The album I couldn't live without has to be one by Fleetwood Mac album.

And while I'm tempted to have Tusk as my essential album - an eclectic mix of pop, rock and primal scream therapy - it is hard to go past Rumours.

Every single track is essential but for different reasons and, for an album I have played hundreds of times, I still find new parts to enjoy.

Some regard this album as easy listening fluff, but it contains an incredibly dark heart which is offset by some of the most gorgeous melodies in popular music.

If I were to pick my top three tracks from the album, I would go with the beautiful simplicity of Never Going Back Again, the plea for unity of The Chain (the harmonies in the chorus kill me every time), while Silver Springs (originally only a B-side but restored to the album in later releases) is the reason I love Stevie Nicks, all stalker menace crossed with plaintive regret.