User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
It's too early to analyse the lyrics but there could be veiled references to farewelling Stevie and the people in Lindsey's world remaining loyal to him. A few backing vocals in the bridge are similar to the love grunts in "Big Love".
Ohhh, this is sooo good!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

More reviews please....
Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
More reviews please....
I know!! I keep checking. And leave Stevie out of them. She's at her trailer in Malibu.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

First listen (VPNs are worth the investment!): I'd have expected to have more of Christine in the vocals for the first single so the lack prominent vocals is a surprise.

It's sonically softer than SWS, which is a good thing. That works for Lindsey solo but wouldn't mesh with Christine.

The chorus is super catchy.

Lindsey is still using the varispeed vocals that were on SWS. I like it here and on SWS but I know some people didn't (sorry, elle!).

Production notes: Lots of hard panning going on. It sounds like everything is close to left-centre-right. It's very wide when you listen on headphones. This is something I really, really like since it comes close to my day-job's niche.

On second listen: If Christine is here, she's very buried. I do agree that she's more present in the instrumentation in a very good way.

Probably more notes to follow.

EDIT: On third listen and I'm grooving away with a massive smile on my face

EDIT 2: It makes me think of Did You Miss Me from GOS as a lead single. It isn't that similar musically but both are good pop songs with enough of a quirk to keep them interesting. The only thing I could do without are the Big Love grunts, but I wonder if they aren't intentionally recalling that song for some reason. I haven't dug into the lyrics yet to see if there could be some reference.

Last edited by Peestie; 04-13-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 04-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Lyrics:

Fare-farewell
Heart of gold
Maybe we're lost
Without the cost
With stories that we've told

In my world
Everybody stays
Nobody wishes for words they couldn't say
Bless my soul
Let the night unfurl
Dances been a-dreaming
Singing in my world

Fare-farewell liberty
Maybe we're lost
Without the cost
Of who we used to be

In my world
Everybody stays
Bless my soul
Let the night unfurl
Dances been a-dreaming
Singing in my world

(love-grunts...)

Lay-lay down
Fall about
Take your time
To cross the line
All without a doubt

In my world
Everybody stays
Bless my soul
Let the night unfurl
Dances been a-dreaming
Singing in my world
I think the chorus is "Dancing, spinning, dreaming" as the penultimate line. Not totally sure.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
First listen (VPNs are worth the investment!): I'd have expected to have more of Christine in the vocals for the first single so the lack prominent vocals is a surprise.

It's sonically softer than SWS, which is a good thing. That works for Lindsey solo but wouldn't mesh with Christine.

The chorus is super catchy.

Lindsey is still using the varispeed vocals that were on SWS. I like it here and on SWS but I know some people didn't (sorry, elle!).

Production notes: Lots of hard panning going on. It sounds like everything is close to left-centre-right. It's very wide when you listen on headphones. This is something I really, really like since it comes close to my day-job's niche.

On second listen: If Christine is here, she's very buried. I do agree that she's more present in the instrumentation in a very good way.

Probably more notes to follow.

EDIT: On third listen and I'm grooving away with a massive smile on my face

EDIT 2: It makes me think of Did You Miss Me from GOS as a lead single. It isn't that similar musically but both are good pop songs with enough of a quirk to keep them interesting. The only thing I could do without are the Big Love grunts, but I wonder if they aren't intentionally recalling that song for some reason. I haven't dug into the lyrics yet to see if there could be some reference.
Argh about varispeed, I really really hoped he'd grow out of that. Hate that he didn't and that Christine didn't make him stop with that. Also dislike possible similarity to DYMM, that song sounded like cheap pop formula to me... I really hope the parts of it reminds you of are not the parts I strongly dislike- such as DYMM chorus. This is not promising I was hoping for something more like sad angel or that's the way love goes, musically.
Thanks so much for all the early reviews guys!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Argh about varispeed, I really really hoped he'd grow out of that. Hate that he didn't and that Christine didn't make him stop with that. Also dislike possible similarity to DYMM, that song sounded like cheap pop formula to me... I really hope the parts of it reminds you of are not the parts I strongly dislike- such as DYMM chorus. This is not promising I was hoping for something more like sad angel or that's the way love goes, musically.
This must mean I'm going to like it.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
It's not as prominent as on a lot of the SWS stuff so maybe it'll be ok?
The song is definitely not a rocker like either of those but it is darker than DYMM. It's maybe more like End of Time. Or a mix between the two.

All I know is I've listened to it 17 times and I'm still enjoying it
Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not as prominent as on a lot of the SWS stuff so maybe it'll be ok?
The song is definitely not a rocker like either of those but it is darker than DYMM. It's maybe more like End of Time. Or a mix between the two.

All I know is I've listened to it 17 times and I'm still enjoying it
It's really promising if you are enjoying it, hope that's not just because you've been deprived of new lb music since 2013! Darker than DYMM is good, although I was ambivalent on EOT - it is too adult contemporary sounding for my taste although I like the lyrics. Can't wait to hear!

Oh I suspect lot of keyboards in this one is Froom, not Christine, since this is one started in 2012, but who knows.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What about the rythmsection? No word about Mick & John?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be nice if we had more reviews or people would elaborate more.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
What about the rythmsection? No word about Mick & John?
I think bass is John. It's a great bassline either way. Drums is a mix between drums that are potentially Mick (they're not too explosive) and wee percussive hits that jump left and right. Could equally be Mick or Lindsey-loops.
Overall, I lean to it being Mick.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I think bass is John. It's a great bassline either way. Drums is a mix between drums that are potentially Mick (they're not too explosive) and wee percussive hits that jump left and right. Could equally be Mick or Lindsey-loops.
Overall, I lean to it being Mick.
It there a distinct backbeat?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
It would be nice if we had more reviews or people would elaborate more.
What do you want to know and I'll try to answer.

My summary is that it is like the more poppy things from Lindsey's last two albums. I'm almost certain Christine is absent from the vocals. I think all of the backing vocals are Lindsey. Sounds like there are 3 of him in the chorus - lead vocal, a delayed/echo version and a slightly manipulated version further back.
Instrumentally it is driven by the rhythm section with a acoustic guitar picking over the top. There are synth/keyboards in the background and some piano licks in the instrumental sections.

It is really surprising Christine isn't prominent but you can feel her influence.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It there a distinct backbeat?
There is a Mick-esque beat going the whole time. I'm listening to the middle section where the vocals drop out and there are fills that sound like Mick.