User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
TOSOTM to me is meh. Trying too hard to be mysterious, with more lyrical messes than ever, like in Two Kinds of Love and Ghosts. The real issue I have is that it lacks a deep ballad. My experience with her solo work has been to search for that delicious ballad with its great vocal, then work backwards to try to appreciate some of the other tracks. As for TITN, it brought me back to FM and Stevie after some years of wandering away, triggered by Bella Donna, which I still think was badly conceived and grotesquely produced. In 1987 Seven Wonders was all over the radio and it brought me back.
Ghosts could have been such a good song.... musically I like it a lot, and I really like the premise of it: Stevie looking at her life and being at a crossroads.... "the past that you live in" and "the future you are frightened of" and being haunted by the ghosts of both.

She'd had a lot of relationships but never found 'the one'-- "one day they were lovers, one day they were friends, and there was nothing else to say" and now she was getting older "so the silver-haired girl looks for escapism"...

To me the best part is the bridge, when she sings:

To fill the empty spaces
She's feeling
She depends on her music
Like a husband
And she knows it's no good
To fall in love again

That is as powerful as Doing The Best That I Can.

The problem though is the first half of the song is a mess and needed a stronger producer to bring some discipline to it.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
does You & Part I sound a tiny bit faster, and like half a step up in key to anyone, or have I just been listening to a horrible quality 45 rip all these years?
Yes I think it is and I posted the same thing earlier. Someone posted an article where Richard Dashut was saying LIndsey was speeding up and slowing down a lot of the songs. This must be a slightly different version sped up. I prefer it a little slower but love the two together. Should have both made the album with Where we belong and Ricky. If any album screamed for a double album, this one was it. So many good songs left off, minus Stevies. Sorry but she was a mess on during this record and it shows. This should have absolutely been a Buckingham Mc vie record since Stevie (once again) barely participated.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Oh, my- I thought everyone agreed OSOTM was better than Street Angel! I thought side 1 of Mirror was Stevie's strongest in a long time- Rooms on Fire, Long Way to Go, Two Kinds of Love, Ooh My Love, and Ghosts are all pretty spectacular. The album loses me until Doing the Best I Can and Blue Eyes, though.
OSOTM is better than Street Angel but they are both God-AWFUl!!!!!!! They killed her credibility as an artist. The only thing that saved Stevie's career is The Dance. Without it, her solo career would of died in 1994.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
OSOTM is better than Street Angel but they are both God-AWFUl!!!!!!! They killed her credibility as an artist. The only thing that saved Stevie's career is The Dance. Without it, her solo career would of died in 1994.
Indeed The Dance saved her career. She seems so nervous and insecure on that filmed concert! Like a kid on her first day at school. She's constantly looking at Lindsey for approval.
That's why I think she should be a bit more grateful with her band members.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I agree, the Dance saved her solo career, but it also did the same for the legacy of Fleetwood Mac, too. Otherwise, the world's last impressions of them would have been either the inauguration and or touring with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar. They all benefited from the Dance, Stevie most of all.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 AM

For some great music critics The Other Side of the Mirror is her best album, or at least one of the best ones. I personally like most of it lyrics-wise, what is not everyone's cup of tea (not even mine I admit) is the very late 80s production that made it outdated probably by the year after. With time I'm coming to appreciate it just like Rock a Little that lately is experiencing a resurrecting appeal.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
For some great music critics The Other Side of the Mirror is her best album, or at least one of the best ones. I personally like most of it lyrics-wise, what is not everyone's cup of tea (not even mine I admit) is the very late 80s production that made it outdated probably by the year after. With time I'm coming to appreciate it just like Rock a Little that lately is experiencing a resurrecting appeal.
A-men Sister
The writing on TOSOTM is incredible except for the few songs she did not write (go figure). I would say its right behind Bella Donna for writing. The music is pretty good too. All of us fans are unique and like different things. For me personally, I have a spiritual connection to many of Stevie's writings. It sounds weird but sometimes I feel like she is writing about me or I wrote the song because its so close to me on a spiritual level. I have no spiritual connections to anything on RAL
Commercial success means nothing to me. Christine's 1984 concert had about 200 people including myself but it was my favorite concert. Street Angel was not that popular but its one of my favorites. The Dance was a huge commercial success but most of it was the novelty of the band back together again. So it pumped life into their careers for sure. The simple pop songs don't cut it for me. But I respect those who that means something. But you should never knock an album for lack of commercial success. You can hate all the songs on TOSOTM but its not true that Stevie sounds bad or could not sing on the album. When you understand the meaning behind Ghosts, Alice, Two Kinds of Love, Long Way To go and escape from Berlin it may make you appreciate the music a little more.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:09 AM

I like TOSOTM... I know the shame!!! I can't listen to anything after that. Only certain songs after this album. Her voice just became too much for me.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I like TOSOTM... I know the shame!!!
You are now dead to me!!!!

PFFTTT!!!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

PFFTTT!!!
Oh you can not blame the gypsy, she is no longer a member.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:

PFFTTT!!!
But there is magic!!

All around you!!!

Every time that you walk in the room...

If I do say so myself..

And...

I HAVE KNOWN THIS MUCH LONGER THAN I HAVE KNOWN YOU!!!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But there is magic!!

All around you!!!

Every time that you walk in the room...

If I do say so myself..

And...

I HAVE KNOWN THIS MUCH LONGER THAN I HAVE KNOWN YOU!!!
Are those lyrics from OSOTM?

It's been so long, that I don't remember. I mean, that disc is somewhere in my studio. Maybe in a pile. Maybe being used as a doorstop or coaster....

You know, the album that drove me away from her...
Old 04-03-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Are those lyrics from OSOTM?

It's been so long, that I don't remember. I mean, that disc is somewhere in my studio. Maybe in a pile. Maybe being used as a doorstop or coaster....

You know, the album that drove me away from her...
I hung in there for that album. Then after this I was done. Her voice is still really good on this album. IMO
She started to become soulless after this.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hung in there for that album. Then after this I was done. Her voice is still really good on this album. IMO
She started to become soulless after this.
I tried, I really did. Nothing stood out to me. It was an effort, EVERY TIME, just making it through to the end.

And it really wasn't her voice. It was the songs! And the production. All of it.

Dung. That's what it all was.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I tried, I really did. Nothing stood out to me. It was an effort, EVERY TIME, just making it through to the end.

And it really wasn't her voice. It was the songs! And the production. All of it.

Dung. That's what it all was.
There is no fire burning, just a soul cryinnnnnn....