User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Truefaith, I love what you did, putting their names in the song. But I took one verse differently than you:

You (Lindsey) say you're (Lindsey) sorry
Now you (Lindsey) should walk away...
You (Lindsey) have nothing left to say

The rest I agree with you, though. Funny how the song can read differently to everyone!
I always thought that whole verse was the royal you... As in, "as a lesson, people, say you're sorry, then you should walk away" etc.

I do NOT think Stevie overreacted by asking Lindsey if he would say that to Bob Dylan. He wasn't simply asking her opinion on that line, he was telling her it was a "rule of thumb" (or something similar) that peple shouldn't write like that... As if she isn't a gifted, prolific writer, who has sold millions of records with her lyrics. As if she doesn't understand how music works and he does, despite the two of them coming from the same place and working side-by-side as songwriting equals. I see how she would be insulted, and give him a little attitude. He gave her attitude first by insinuating that she didn't know the rules of thumb for writing music when that's literally her career.

Furthermore, Stevie has mentioned numerous times that Lindsey tried to teach her, before Buckingham Nicks, how to properly write songs, to the point where she couldn't stand The Beatles because he made her listen to their songs over and over to learn about song structure. I imagine she gets a little tired of him mansplaining to her from time to time.

I think playing with tense and pronouns adds great depth to her songs... Look at how we all interpreted a few lines of this very song differently for this exact reason!

Last edited by lilyfee; 01-19-2017 at 08:53 PM..
Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I didn't like SYW, Destiny, Silver Girl, Running and Goodbye Baby..

I liked Illume, Thrown Down, Everybody Finds Out, Smile At You
Mmm, I'm mostly the same. I forget how good Illume is. Smile at You is controversial I think because people are so in love with the demo.
Say You Will is such an awful song. I can't believe they let it on the record. To me I feel like it was Stevie sort of trying a Christine type of thing but failing horribly.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Mmm, I'm mostly the same. I forget how good Illume is. Smile at You is controversial I think because people are so in love with the demo.
Say You Will is such an awful song. I can't believe they let it on the record. To me I feel like it was Stevie sort of trying a Christine type of thing but failing horribly.
Yeah, the title track is horrible. And it makes me dislike the album because that's the title.. ya know
Old 01-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I don't think Lindsey was out of place so much and was offering a suggestion. But I see Stevie's point. She does write the way she feels it
completely agree. he was politely pointing it out, and she said no and why. if it stopped there it would be a completely normal exchange. Bob Dylan self-comparison was the part that made it over the top. Bob Dylan is a Nobel prize winning poet. deservedly so, however controversial that may be. in that DR exchange, Stevie comes across as being fully convinced that she's just as good as Dylan. and that's why Lindsey was biting his tongue after she said that. to his credit, he didn't react and let it drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Taken on its own, the "Destiny Rules" incident makes Stevie looks like an overreacting bitch. However... this was probably the 689th time Lindsey has tried to correct her grammar over the past 40+ years. Her annoyance was justified.

The difference was it was caught on film this time. And yes, she's held a grudge and regurgitated the story time and time again.
i think this is probably true. and probably in the times past he was not nearly as nice about it as in that DR exchange. she may have kept it all bottled up for years which led her to completely overreact in that doc. and considering how many times she regurgitated that story, somehow she doesn't see how bad it makes her look.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't see anything wrong with what he said at all. I don't know if they have sensitivity issues so maybe to her it was, but it really didn't come across condescending or anything like that to me. I was rolling my eyes when she said 'there's a way to suggest and there's a way to tell', when he was indeed just suggesting, he wasn't going 'you have to change this or else we won't record it'.
And I think he was biting his tongue as if like 'Stevie, when you write a 'Like a Rolling Stone' THEN you can say something like that'.

And how often she's brought it up, like he has to have done something since then that also annoyed her why is that her go to thing.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That exchange was rather telling. It was a minor, minor point that Stevie blew out of proportion. She got used to people treating her like a rock star, which is something Lindsey will probably never do. Her success doesn't impress or intimidate him, and I think that's the biggest reason she doesn't want to work with him.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That exchange was rather telling. It was a minor, minor point that Stevie blew out of proportion. She got used to people treating her like a rock star, which is something Lindsey will probably never do. Her success doesn't impress or intimidate him, and I think that's the biggest reason she doesn't want to work with him.
That's just it. Her pretension bled into the band. And they ain't havin it. She's not someone that handled fame very well. She feeds off of it.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:50 PM
HomerMcvie
This message has been deleted by HomerMcvie.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That's just it. Her pretension bled into the band. And they ain't havin it. She's not someone that handled fame very well. She feeds off of it.
I am shocked. Never in my 13 years here, have I witnessed such vitriol, leveled towards that chiffon clad temptress.

Glory hallelujah! Finally, people are seeing her for what she is!
Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Glory hallelujah! Finally, people are seeing her for what she is!
A home wrecking adulterous slutty party girl
Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
A home wrecking adulterous slutty party girl
Yes! Thank you, Olive!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hope you know that THAT'S what a producer does. They're not there to tell her how pretty her chiffon is.
No, I mean shouldn't he be addressing himself to the music...i.e. Keep to the music not her lyrics...but actually admiring her chiffon and lace would work, cos she's a girlie girl....
Old 01-20-2017, 04:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am shocked. Never in my 13 years here, have I witnessed such vitriol, leveled towards that chiffon clad temptress.
Yes it's shocking just how much this place turns into a cesspit of vitriol at times

All band members have their equal faults, contributing to the dysfunction of this band. To keep blaming one of them seems inane, and it's very dull to read. Why would Stevie want to go back into a recording situation that potentially brings up all their s*it all over again. Maybe she's the sensible one in all this by staying away. There is new music coming without the member that many of you detest, and yet still the moaning continues

And making a firm judgement about what went on between them during months of recording, by one exchange caught on film, seems absurd.

Last edited by MoonSister75; 01-20-2017 at 05:46 AM..
Old 01-20-2017, 04:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
, Stevie comes across as being fully convinced that she's just as good as Dylan.
What?? Not at all That's just the way you view it, through Lindsey tinted spectacles. She's just trying to make a point. She's no angel and I'm sure she can be extremely irritating. But do you honestly not believe that Lindsey is just as irritating, and just as much to blame for their 40 years of fighting.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Yes it's shocking just how much this place turns into a cesspit of vitriol at times

All band members have their equal faults, contributing to the dysfunction of this band. To keep blaming one of them seems inane, and it's very dull to read. Why would Stevie want to go back into a recording situation that potentially brings up all their s*it all over again. Maybe she's the sensible one in all this by staying away. There is new music coming without the member that many of you detest, and yet still the moaning continues

And making a firm judgement about what went on between them during months of recording, by one exchange caught on film, seems absurd.
I couldn't agree more to this post.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyleo View Post
I couldn't agree more to this post.
Ditto. Well said!