The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Question The Live Show (2013) and Alcohol use...

I haven't had time over the past few years to really delve into all of the material on YouTube, The Ledge, etc.. But, lately I'm in full fan mode, been crazy about this band from the get go.
So as I go along I've noticed that there are several comments scattered around about Stevie or Lindsey looking or acting drunk at some of the shows. The Jones Beach show has more than one, about both. There were mentions of Lindsey seeming drunk at the San Diego and Sacramento shows. Anyone notice this? I think they look stoned a lot but looking and being are two different things. Drunk tho? IDK...
Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You should watch some videos from this year. There's some good quality ones from Sacramento.

I watched NONE before I went to see them last month, in Portland. Getting into them over the last few weeks is great - like a whole new bag.

I haven't seen anything that I thought was indicative of intoxication.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
I haven't had time over the past few years to really delve into all of the material on YouTube, The Ledge, etc.. But, lately I'm in full fan mode, been crazy about this band from the get go.
So as I go along I've noticed that there are several comments scattered around about Stevie or Lindsey looking or acting drunk at some of the shows. The Jones Beach show has more than one, about both. There were mentions of Lindsey seeming drunk at the San Diego and Sacramento shows. Anyone notice this? I think they look stoned a lot but looking and being are two different things. Drunk tho? IDK...
that's interesting, what exactly are you referring to? do you have some specific references about what people said or you saw at the show, or videos that we can check?

i've heard that Stevie during 2009 tour looked like she was on some strong painkillers or something during some of the shows, especially some of the Australian shows. that she looked lethargic and out of it. she didn't do Silver Springs at several of the Australian shows, and maybe that was all interrelated and she was sick or something.

i can't tell too much about Stevie during shows i've seen during 2013 tour, because i'm usually right at Lindsey's side of the stage so it's hard to have a view of the whole stage and Stevie doesn't move much. few times i did see her she seemed pretty alert and mostly happy... but not drunk. she was supposedly unusually playful with Lindsey at MSG, so maybe there was some alcohol or substance involved there?

as far as the Jones Beach show, i spent it right at Lindsey's mic. he was not drunk and i didn't see him behave any different than how he normally behaves on stage. happy to be there, amazing performance, making faces and having all sorts of interactions with the audience in front of him.

oh yes, talking about Jones Beach, towards the second half, Stevie definitely behaved like she was pissed at Lindsey, seemingly for him ignoring her while extensively interacting with the audience, especially during WY intro. after he did his part of the WY intro speech interplay and looked like he wanted to add something, she made somewhat snide remark "oh, NOW you have something more to say?" (i'm paraphrasing but something like that).

i'm really curious about all these Jones Beach show accounts and what are specifics... or it's just a feeling some people got from watching the videos? as i said, being there right at the stage, and JB stage being low, me and some friends of mine had a pretty good view of what was happening on the stage so feel free to ask about some specific things that you've heard happened there.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
that's interesting, what exactly are you referring to? do you have some specific references about what people said or you saw at the show, or videos that we can check?

i'm really curious about all these Jones Beach show accounts and what are specifics... or it's just a feeling some people got from watching the videos? as i said, being there right at the stage, and JB stage being low, me and some friends of mine had a pretty good view of what was happening on the stage so feel free to ask about some specific things that you've heard happened there.
Hey, Elle! I have seen these comments while looking at videos on you tube, video tube, etc., if I'd seen only a comment or two I wouldn't have given it a second thought but after 5 comments it made me wonder. In the video I've seen no one looks drunk...
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Junior Ledgie

Honestly, Stevie and Lindsey both looked healthy and happy at the Los Angeles Staples show, and I haven't seen anything that made me think they were drunk in any of the videos I've seen of the tour so far (not that that is a representative sample). Actually, considering Stevie's now collecting Social Security and Lindsey's not far behind, they've both looked amazing.

Now, the infamous Landover show from the Dance Tour..., that one Lindsey looks totally bombed to me.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's funny what people see at shows. I've read accounts of shows I was at and thought "What are they thinking? Were they at the same show I was?" Doesn't matter if we're talking about someone being high, angry, out of tune, you name it. I guess we all interpret things differently, but sometimes I think people just want to stir up some drama.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never thought either one acted drunk or high this tour or 2009 or anything from SYW. I guess anything is possible but I've heard Lindsey doesn't drink anymore. Stevie says she doesn't. And her acting silly or giddy doesn't prove she was drunk or high, she often just giggles and laughs at herself if she's in a good mood.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
It's funny what people see at shows. I've read accounts of shows I was at and thought "What are they thinking? Were they at the same show I was?" Doesn't matter if we're talking about someone being high, angry, out of tune, you name it. I guess we all interpret things differently, but sometimes I think people just want to stir up some drama.
completely agree!

especially Jones Beach show seems to be the one everybody talks about, mostly people who were not actually at the show, and none of these things (such as behaving high / drunk, shipper stuff, whatever else) were seen by any of the people i was with...

although it is true you can hear better if someone's out of tune if you are a bit further away from the stage, because the sound is definitely not ideal right at the stage. however whether someone is happy, sober, drunk, high, angry, love-dovey, who are they interacting with and in what way, is something you can see when you are close to the stage, better than in videos. so i guess you can be at the same show and miss, see, or hear certain parts that you wouldn't if you are watching the same show from different parts of the venue. or you can get different impression if you are watching Stevie, Mick, Lindsey, John, or anyone else on the stage, because they all will have their own perception of the show.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I never thought either one acted drunk or high this tour or 2009 or anything from SYW. I guess anything is possible but I've heard Lindsey doesn't drink anymore. Stevie says she doesn't. And her acting silly or giddy doesn't prove she was drunk or high, she often just giggles and laughs at herself if she's in a good mood.
i think Brandon bought him a drink few years ago and he said that? maybe there are some other accounts?

i don't know whether any of them were diagnosed alcoholic and are completely off now, but i had a feeling at Lindsey's SWS 2011 show in Jacksonville, that he possibly displayed some signs of being slightly hungover... some people speculated that maybe guys took him out the night before for his birthday. he still played an amazing show, but he was sweating by the second song already... it felt like he started really strong but that by the end he was phoning it in. which is the feeling you normally never get from him, either solo, or with the Mac. he normally always looks like he's giving it 200%, in the moment and happy to be there. of course, this all together is pure speculation on my part.

Last edited by elle; 07-19-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Old 07-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

I looked thru a lot of video and I never saw anyone looking drunk either! Very weird how different people interpret differently even when they see the same thing!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

Now, the infamous Landover show from the Dance Tour..., that one Lindsey looks totally bombed to me.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about the infamous Landover show!!! Please, what happened? Is that the one where he almost knocked Stevie over stealing a kiss during GYOW?:
Old 07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't at the San Diego show, but at Sacramento, Lindsey didn't appear drunk.

As for Landover, based on the progression of the last shows in the tour, I thought Lindsey's behavior made perfect sense.

I mean, it's just like with Silver Spring. When they performed that song, there's a part where she's yelling at him "you'll never get away" and he's kicking his boots and moving in close to her. She grabs her mic stand and moves away from him. He came over farther and farther during the tour. Every night she backed away farther and he moved farther over to get to her. She moved away farther and farther, until she was practically bumping into John. Every night in the tour things got a little more pronounced during that song. So, by the end of the tour, they were both standing next to John when Silver Spring ended.

That was how it was with the hugs too. He hugged or kissed them all every night. He would butt heads with Christine or kiss her every night. He pulled on and tugged John every night. He grabbed Stevie every night and she was always in the same place, next to John and Christine. In Landover, STEVIE moved. She moved to the complete opposite end of the stage. So, he chased her and grabbed her. He ran around like that in response to something she'd done. I don't know if she was mad at him or emotional because it was the last show or what, but he ran and chased her because she was out of place for his customary kiss.

He may have been crazy, but I don't think he was drunk. When I saw it I just thought, "Why is she way over there?" Because she was never standing there during that part of the show. I never thought, "Why is Lindsey chasing her down and kissing her," because I knew he would.

Throughout the tour, I don't know if she wanted to be kissed or not. John had his hands full and Lindsey mauled rather than hugged him. Stevie just had a tambo. So, she could have freed an arm, but she never embraced him back during GYOW (she did hug him at other times). She just kind of cocked her neck when he approached to nuzzle her. But they did the same thing every night, so it didn't look like a drunk aberration to me. The only thing that looked odd was her being all the way to the right, away from everyone else. Usually he didn't have to run to find her. He would just walk a few steps to get her. But that night, he had to go across stage.

Michele
Old 07-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I guess we all interpret things differently, but sometimes I think people just want to stir up some drama.
I think they do too.

I also think that sometimes things look more remarkable or extraordinary when you think they're just happening the night you happen to be there, but if you read reviews for all the shows or saw several of them, you know that it happens frequently and then I think the impact of a certain event is not that significant, when put into context as part of a repeated pattern or a progression of something that has happened many times before.

Michele
Old 07-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I'm sure they are only heavily intoxicated with each other.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Michele, this time, I beg to differ. LB was trashed! Period! Was weird that Stevie was all the way over there. She seemed to be giving him room during GYOW and she was smiling like, Oh, Lord!, right after the singing stopped and LB went nuts! I bet that really pissed her off when he knocked into her and was so rough when he kissed her although she came back FAST! What a way to end the tour!!!!