Old 10-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Cleveland preview -McVie says good chance of 2nd BuckVie album

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...-collaboration

Buckingham McVie's Debut Album Feels Like a True Collaboration
Posted By Matt Wardlaw on Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 9:05 am
JOHN RUSSO
John Russo
The past few years have been full of unexpected developments for Fleetwood Mac’s Christine McVie. After 15 years away from the legendary group, McVie found herself coming out of retirement — at least for one night — when she jammed with the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band at a show in Maui in February of 2013. It was a moment that was a real thrill for both sides.

“It was fantastic. I think they wanted me to, but they didn’t dare ask me. I mean, I hadn’t really performed in all of that time that I’d taken away,” the keyboardist/vocalist recalls during a recent phone conversation. “I thought, ‘Well, you know what, this might be quite fun to just go on and do a couple of blues songs.’ I mentioned it to Mick and they went, ‘Oh my God, of course! We would love it!’”

A piano arrived in her hotel room in short order and after a bit of practice, she found herself on stage with Fleetwood and his band for a brief set that quickly made her realize that she had been missing the experience of playing live more than she realized.

“I thought, my God, what have I started here? It wasn’t long after that when I mentioned to Mick, ‘How would everybody feel if I was to ask to come back?’ Of course, the rest is history and everybody loved it, and I loved it,” she says now. “We all just kind of got on as if I’d never left, really.”

Later that same year, McVie was back onstage with the entire Fleetwood Mac gang, a precursor to a full-blown reunion tour, appropriately entitled “On With the Show.” But before the group hit the road, McVie found herself in the studio with Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham.

“Originally, we hadn’t planned on making an album, we were just going to cut some demos of mine, just to familiarize myself with Lindsey again primarily and the idea of working together, before we went to rehearsal for the tour. This all evolved about a year later when we went back to those songs. I think we kept about five or six tracks.

Even after being on the road for more than a year, Buckingham and McVie continued to think about the initial recordings that they had put down, with the feeling that there might be something there worth continuing to explore.

“When we went back and listened to them, I thought, ‘Well, these are really good.’ Then Lindsey and I, we talked about it and thought, 'Why don’t we finish this as a duet album?'"

Never at a loss for material, the prolific Buckingham brought out some more recordings that he had been working on a few years earlier with producer Mitchell Froom, which featured Fleetwood behind the kit and Mac bassist John McVie also in his usual slot. They worked on the combined pool of songs, with both McVie and Fleetwood returning as the rhythm section. On paper, it was awfully close to a Fleetwood Mac album — but Stevie Nicks was away, focused on her own touring and by all accounts, there wasn’t much deliberation — Buckingham and McVie quickly decided to stay the course and just focus on finishing out the collaboration as a duets album.

Buckingham McVie, the album that emerged out of their efforts, is one that Fleetwood Mac fans will find feels like a true collaboration, with the pair trading off lead vocals from song to song, yet it’s clear that they worked hard together to flesh out each other’s ideas to carry them beyond being merely songs that could have just as easily been on solo albums. In one instance, McVie had a set of lyrics that she had been carrying around that had been inspired by a trip to Africa. On the beach, she had written the words, “When the red sun kisses the sea.”

Years later, there was Buckingham in the studio with a sequence of chord changes and a melody he wasn’t planning to use. McVie saw the beginnings of a potential song and “Red Sun,” one of the standouts on the new album, was born. That’s one thing which has been exciting about the arrival of this album — the extended opportunity it provided for Buckingham and McVie to write together, something which hadn’t happened a lot in the history of Fleetwood Mac, although as McVie points out, their collaboration has roots which go really deep into the DNA of the group.

“That’s true to say, we haven’t really written that many songs together, but we worked quite intimately together in the studio musically,” says McVie. “Because we are the only two musicians in the sense that we play chords. It’s not like being a bass player or a drummer, so it’s really down to me and Lindsey, how the songs are voiced in that sense. So we’d always worked well together and we always seemed to be able to predict what the other one’s going to play. You know, we see each other across the studio and we sense where the other one is going, if you know what I mean. So we’ve always been good at that. I suppose it flows on quite naturally from there to actually write songs with him, which has been really satisfying.”

One can wonder if the studio dynamic was extraordinarily different compared to how the sessions might go down if they were working on a Fleetwood Mac album. McVie says that there were a number of similarities.

“I think that Mick always has a lot of input on the records. John to a less degree. You know, he pops in and he listens and puts on his beautiful bass parts and doesn’t really like to hang around the studio very much,” she explains. “He gets antsy and impatient. But Mick hangs around all of the time and he always has great input. And in a Fleetwood Mac album, Stevie to the same degree, really. She comes in and does her vocals and stays a while, but she doesn’t really...I mean, I’m a studio junkie, so is Lindsey, so is Mick, really. We’re quite happy in there, for hours and hours on end. You know, some people just don’t like to sing the same song over and over again, I suppose. That’s what you have to do when you make a record!”

Earlier this summer, Buckingham and McVie hit the road for a series of show which found them playing smaller and more intimate venues than they normally would with Fleetwood Mac. The shows began with an initial set featuring just the two of them, and that added to the intimate feeling. It was a joyous moment for fans, but one that McVie admits was challenging for her personally.

“Yeah, I think that probably scares me more than anything,” she laughs. “I heave a sigh of relief when the band comes on. I think it’s a lovely way to start, but you’re just terribly exposed. It’s something that I’ve never done before, and as it turns out, the set goes so quickly I can’t believe it.”

Back on the road for another run of dates which will bring them to the Cleveland area for a show at Hard Rock Live on Friday, Nov. 3, McVie says the chances are really good that there might be a sequel to their album, which has been well-received, indicating that Buckingham in particular is keen to continue the collaboration and record more material.

“Yeah, I think that’s for sure. I think Lindsey actually announced that on stage without me even knowing it,” she says, chuckling.
“I’m paraphrasing, but he said something like, ‘Well, we’re having so much fun on the road, we should do this all again, what do you think, Chris?’ So yes, I think it’s quite possible.”

First, there are plans on the table for a Fleetwood Mac tour in 2018 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the group — Fleetwood has already been promoting his new book, Love That Burns, which chronicles the Peter Green era of the band. McVie, who joined in 1970, calls it “staggering,” looking at the early photos and realizing that it’s been 50 years since it all began.

“You look at the photos and it doesn’t seem like 50 years, not to me anyway,” she says.

She says it feels premature to label the upcoming trek as a farewell tour, which has been rumored.

“I don’t know who dreamt that up, but it’s not really. I mean, the reality of the fact is that none of us are spring chickens,” she says. “But as far as we’re concerned, it’s just another tour. You just have to do it one at a time when you get to our age. I think farewell tour, I don’t think it’s good to say farewell. It isn’t to us, anyway.”

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 3, Hard Rock Rocksino, 10777 Northfields Rd., Northfield, 330-908-7625. Tickets: $75-$99.50, livenation.com.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...-collaboration

She says it feels premature to label the upcoming trek as a farewell tour, which has been rumored.

“I don’t know who dreamt that up, but it’s not really. I mean, the reality of the fact is that none of us are spring chickens,” she says. “But as far as we’re concerned, it’s just another tour. You just have to do it one at a time when you get to our age. I think farewell tour, I don’t think it’s good to say farewell. It isn’t to us, anyway.”

umm.... wasn't it her? I seem to recall she said something to the effect and Mick was asked about it-- 'christine said this would be a farewell tour'-- and he went into all spin mode saying no it wasn't, not sure where she would have gotten that from, etc.

They count on most people having short memories, or not having read it at all.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
umm.... wasn't it her? I seem to recall she said something to the effect and Mick was asked about it-- 'christine said this would be a farewell tour'-- and he went into all spin mode saying no it wasn't, not sure where she would have gotten that from, etc.

I think they have short memories. They are old.
This is great news though.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-28-2017, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I think they have short memories. They are old.
This is great news though.
I honestly think that she and Lindsey are having such a great, non-stressful time, that they don't want to stop!
Old 10-28-2017, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I loved this article and thanks for sharing. I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer but keeping things in perspective. When you do press on the road, its all positive spin. I remember Christine saying that she loved her 1984 solo album so much she was going to do another one. Well that never happened (not until 20 years later though).
I would love another album for sure. I just think its not good nor normal to talk about your life or career with an expiration date. They are not going to be realistic and be nothing but positive with road interviews.
I wish John would have quit smoking when Chris and Stevie did. Anything we get after the 2018 tour is icing on the cake.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:31 PM

I could totally feel the love and kindred spirit at the BuckVie shows. It's such a contrast to what you see in B/N.

I'm so happy that it's at least on the table to do another. The medium machine is awesome! I just listened to the album last night after a long break. It's so much fun to listen to. It's like Mirage II w/ some Tango. I'm loving this chapter.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I could totally feel the love and kindred spirit at the BuckVie shows. It's such a contrast to what you see in B/N.

I'm so happy that it's at least on the table to do another. The medium machine is awesome! I just listened to the album last night after a long break. It's so much fun to listen to. It's like Mirage II w/ some Tango. I'm loving this chapter.
Me, too. Maybe after the next big tour we could get another album and tour. They seem so happy and relaxed now. It literally puts tears in my eyes. I'd love for that to be the final chapter in The Book of Love.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

I think it was Lindsey who went into all spin mode saying it wasn't their last tour, and that they still haven't talked about that. But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Me, too. Maybe after the next big tour we could get another album and tour. They seem so happy and relaxed now. It literally puts tears in my eyes. I'd love for that to be the final chapter in The Book of Love.
They're still so happy in this second leg, and even more playful, from what I've read so far. I also think they deserve to end their careers with something dear to their hearts: a second album.

And yes, I also got quite teary during Game of Pretend and I'm so Afraid.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...staples_l.html

Bob Dylan with Mavis Staples, Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie: Also Playing

Posted on October 31, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Christine McVie, captured in a 2015 Fleetwood Mac performance at Quicken Loans Arena, returns to Northeast Ohio with her Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band mate Lindsey Buckingham in support of their duets album, "Lindsey Buckingham / Christine McVie.'' The pair are at the Hard Rock Rocksino on Friday, Nov. 3.

By Chuck Yarborough, The Plain Dealer cyarborough@plaind.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Summer may belong to the young guns in music, but this is a great time for the veteran gunslingers, with Rock & Roll Hall of Famers Bob Dylan and Mavis Staples and Fleetwood Mac's Lindsay Buckingham and Christine McVie stopping in Northeast Ohio.

Bob Dylan, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 3, E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall. What makes this particular Dylan appearance so intriguing is the opening act, R&B and gospel singer Mavis Staples. On the surface, the music from the two icons couldn't be more different, with Dylan's sometimes (OK, usually) unintelligible, almost sotto voce mumble and fellow Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Staples' vibrant and still powerful contralto. Separated by only two years - he's the kid at 76, and she's two years older - each has earned legend status not only for their music but for their activism. Tickets, $55 to $125, are available at the box office, online at ticketmaster.com and by phone at 1-800-745-3000 and 330-972.7570.

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 3, Hard Rock Rocksino. When McVie finally returned to Fleetwood Mac in 2014 after leaving in 1998, the magic that made the band one of the biggest acts in the '70s resurfaced. But something else happened: McVie reignited her passion for. She and Buckingham released an album this past summer, "Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie,'' that also featured drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist (and McVie ex) John McVie as the rhythm section. Fellow singer Stevie Nicks wasn't available for the recording sessions, according to Rolling Stone, so could have been a Fleetwood Mac CD became a duets album. What's interesting is that while there's no denying the DNA, this really is not new Fleetwood Mac music. The Rocksino show will feature lots of it, plus some of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band's classics. Tickets, $75 to $169.50, are available at the box office, online at ticketmaster.com and by phone at 1-800-745-3000.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-04-2017, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Christine telling 15 year story (album intro) this time!

they turned the tables - much better, she's so cute!

"still way shorter than some other people we know!"

Old 11-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
they turned the tables - much better, she's so cute!

"still way shorter than some other people we know!"

OMFG!

So great!!!

Lindsey, "still shorter(her story) than some other people we know". I might just learn to love him before I die!!!

Thank you, Elle, this was so great to watch!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope the tables are still turned next Saturday for my show.
The only thing funnier is if Christine spoke in the voice Stevie would do to impersonate Christine. During the 2014 tour in Miami Stevie was giving the story of how Christine came back with her weird voice (Christine impersonation) and Christine would answer Stevie with the weird voice impersonation that Stevie was giving. It was so freaking funny.
Speaking of taking too long to tell a story... during the same show in Miami Stevie's Gypsy story was wandering on and she was talking how her and Lindsey were touring with CCR and the car broke down. At that moment, Lindsey made his guitar sound like a car honking. Stevie stopped the story, looked and Lindsey and said "did you do that? Why would you do that? Then she turned to the audience and said "Am I taking too long to tell the story?" She finished up and the song began. The rest of the night she never acknowledged Lindsey.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-04-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Old 11-04-2017, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Apols for typos etc as I'm on my phone & still caffeinating. If you're on Elle's FB page you'll see this posted under my full/real name. Highlights for me:

-Security were brilliant, gave us front row wristbands & said we could stand, sit, do as please but save a spot at the stage, if desired, as they'd let others up at the end.
-we were next to a fun couple who decided to stand as did I, but not many did. At the start of Hold Me I turned & tried to get people up...not much luck. My husband said a lady by him asked people not to stand. He stood, sat, alternated.
-LB winding C up was the best, forcing her to make the speech they were having a complete sibling moment. I love the banter.
-CM sounded amazing. I'm thrilled the karaoke is toned down. She's definitely singing, doesn't pretend to play when she's not as she acknowledges Brett.
-A maraca wave & eye contact from CM is a thrill. To me she remains the Queen of all things: talented, fun, beautiful, and most of all she's clearly happy. I've said it before, but it's a joy to see after how over it she looked back in 97.
-she flubbed a line on YMLF and gave LB an 'oh well' look. Sweet. She doesn't seem to use her prompter but a tech adjusted it at one point.
-GYOW: she pretended to not have the bat& shrugged when LB waited for it, then she pulled it out. Loved it.
-an end front row couple came to the middle with white roses they tried to give LB, and kept calling out his name. He put up his hand up in a not now way. Eventually they pushed the roses on stage. CM later picked them up & moved them behind her keys or maybe handed them off.
-I was between LBs monitors - next to a floor speaker but managed a guitar strum. Fun.
-No autographs signed, despite a few trying
-I was thrilled when the crowd finally got up to the stage. Fantastic to see LBs face when he spotted Elle!
-Lovely to meet Elle and so many others & chat afterwards. Thanks for a wonderful night.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
Apols for typos etc as I'm on my phone & still caffeinating. If you're on Elle's FB page you'll see this posted under my full/real name. Highlights for me:

-Security were brilliant, gave us front row wristbands & said we could stand, sit, do as please but save a spot at the stage, if desired, as they'd let others up at the end.
-we were next to a fun couple who decided to stand as did I, but not many did. At the start of Hold Me I turned & tried to get people up...not much luck. My husband said a lady by him asked people not to stand. He stood, sat, alternated.
-LB winding C up was the best, forcing her to make the speech they were having a complete sibling moment. I love the banter.
-CM sounded amazing. I'm thrilled the karaoke is toned down. She's definitely singing, doesn't pretend to play when she's not as she acknowledges Brett.
-A maraca wave & eye contact from CM is a thrill. To me she remains the Queen of all things: talented, fun, beautiful, and most of all she's clearly happy. I've said it before, but it's a joy to see after how over it she looked back in 97.
-she flubbed a line on YMLF and gave LB an 'oh well' look. Sweet. She doesn't seem to use her prompter but a tech adjusted it at one point.
-GYOW: she pretended to not have the bat& shrugged when LB waited for it, then she pulled it out. Loved it.
-an end front row couple came to the middle with white roses they tried to give LB, and kept calling out his name. He put up his hand up in a not now way. Eventually they pushed the roses on stage. CM later picked them up & moved them behind her keys or maybe handed them off.
-I was between LBs monitors - next to a floor speaker but managed a guitar strum. Fun.
-No autographs signed, despite a few trying
-I was thrilled when the crowd finally got up to the stage. Fantastic to see LBs face when he spotted Elle!
-Lovely to meet Elle and so many others & chat afterwards. Thanks for a wonderful night.
Thanks for the review. I am excited for next Saturday. Love to see Christine happy and her zest for life, new music, touring, and even on stage talking.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Speaking of taking too long to tell a story... during the same show in Miami Stevie's Gypsy story was wandering on and she was talking how her and Lindsey were touring with CCR and the car broke down. At that moment, Lindsey made his guitar sound like a car honking. Stevie stopped the story, looked and Lindsey and said "did you do that? Why would you do that? Then she turned to the audience and said "Am I taking too long to tell the story?" She finished up and the song began. The rest of the night she never acknowledged Lindsey.
I still don't see where's his big crime.

I'm sure Lindsey couldn't go on with the show knowing Stevie was mad at him.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.