Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rod wants Stevie to ask him to perform Leather and Lace

Stewart, Nicks make a classic combination
Double bill keeps focus on greatest hits

Q. Stevie tells a tale of meeting you at a New Year’s Eve party at your house in the ’70s. Do you remember that?

A. Briefly, yeah. Stevie and I go back a long way, a lot of which I can’t remember because of the alcohol intake. (Laughs).

Q. When you announced the tour, you floated the idea of doing some of her famous duets, but thus far she’s joined you on a couple of your songs.

A. I have to look at the setlist but, apparently, she doesn’t do those duets. But she asked to sing two of my songs [“Passion’’ and “Young Turks’’]. And I said well if that’s what you want to do. One has to give way to the gentler sex. But she makes a very good job of them and it’s a start.

Q. I’m assuming you’re also a fan of her hit “Stand Back’’ since you covered it in the ’90s.

A. Yeah, I would love to sing “Stand Back’’ but she hasn’t asked me yet! You know she suffers from nerves so I don’t want to push her in a direction she doesn’t want to go in . . . When we get ’round to it we’ll add a couple more and hopefully she’ll ask me to sing “Leather and Lace.’’

Q. She’s described you as fearless when it comes to performing. Is it because you still love doing it or have you always been that way?

A. I do like doing it. I’m sure she does, too; it’s just that we’re different animals. I don’t believe in rehearsing too much. I always think there should be the element of risk involved in rock and roll. I tell the band what they’re going to play and if it messes up, it messes up. We’re all human. In fact, I like a nice big mistake. (Laughs).

Q. While this tour focuses on your greatest hits, what’s the status of doing some “Great American Songbook’’ shows at Carnegie Hall?

A. Yeah, that would be the next project. I’d love to do it because the other night I tried to put in one of the American Songbook [songs] and it went down like a lead balloon. I don’t know who buys these records, there’s nearly 24 million sold but they don’t seem to be in the audience! (Laughs). I’ve played all the great venues of the world, but I’ve never played Carnegie Hall so that’s on my wish list.

Q. Well you know the old saying, maybe it means you haven’t practiced enough?

A. Yeah. (Laughs). Who came out with that line? It’s a wonderful line.

Q. Tell me about the Jeff Beck album.

A. It’s still pretty tentative. I’m going to lay my tracks down at the end of this tour. With Jeff you never know. I think he’s 100 percent keen on doing it but there’s a way that he wants to do it and a way that I want to do it and hopefully it will come together.

Q. Is this a covers album? New material? A combination?

A. Probably a combination, we’re both steeped in Chicago blues, that’s where the first two albums came from, so that would be the starting point I would imagine and then we’ll just add a few novelties, for want of a better word.

Q. Congratulations on the new baby. Is eight enough?

A. I’m finished now, it’s all done. Aiden’s great. He’s had an outbreak of acne so all of his public appearances have been canceled. (Laughs).

Q. Good to know that there’s still lead in the old pencil though?

A. I’ve got plenty of lead in the pencil and I’ve got someone to write to, that’s the most important thing!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't see why she has to ask him. I mean WTF? If he wants to do it he should say, "Okay Stevie, we have to sing Leather and Lace and I'm not taking no for an answer!"
Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would think in Stevie's mind it's Don Henley's song and she wouldn't do one of her duets with someone else. Has she ever before?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I would think in Stevie's mind it's Don Henley's song and she wouldn't do one of her duets with someone else. Has she ever before?
She sang it and Stop Dragging My Heart around with Peter Frampton and she has sung it by herself and she let Don sing on Stop Draggin... so I don't see why she would object to it.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
She sang it and Stop Dragging My Heart around with Peter Frampton and she has sung it by herself and she let Don sing on Stop Draggin... so I don't see why she would object to it.
Ok, that's twice in 30 years. Singing it by herself isn't what I mean though. That would be a no brainer. But, she may find it "disrespectful" to her duet partner for someone else to do it. More than likely, it's all about the rehearsal thing and I would be they've tried it and she's not happy with the results.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Q. Good to know that there’s still lead in the old pencil though?

A. I’ve got plenty of lead in the pencil and I’ve got someone to write to, that’s the most important thing!
Gah. Where is that vomit icon again?

Considering that Stevie has performed SDMHA and L&L for years with awful vocalists, i.e., Waddy and Robert Martin, I don't think she is necessarily being reverent towards her original partners. I just think she's reluctant to work these old songs into the set after not doing them for so long. And if she did, she would want weeks of rehearsal. I would personally love to see Rod trade off a line or two in all of these songs.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I don't think she has. I think she's only ever done it live with Don, or as a trio with the girls.

Isn't there something in the "Timespace" liner notes about how that song is so special to her that the only people who could ever sing it were her and Don, or Waylon and Jessi?

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
I don't see why she has to ask him. I mean WTF? If he wants to do it he should say, "Okay Stevie, we have to sing Leather and Lace and I'm not taking no for an answer!"
She doesn't. He's making sure everyone knows damn welll it isn't HIS fault they aren't singing it.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

I wonder if she regrets doing this tour with Rod? With Tom & Don, it was easy because they've worked together in the studio & onstage in the past & have such long histories with each other, whereas with Rod it seems to be such a mismatch, other than them both being the king & queen of rasp. They really have nothing in common at all & it just makes me wonder if she's out on the road kicking herself now for signing up for this tour without first realizing how different they really are & how hardcore against rehearsing he is, etc...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUponLight View Post
I wonder if she regrets doing this tour with Rod? With Tom & Don, it was easy because they've worked together in the studio & onstage in the past & have such long histories with each other, whereas with Rod it seems to be such a mismatch, other than them both being the king & queen of rasp. They really have nothing in common at all & it just makes me wonder if she's out on the road kicking herself now for signing up for this tour without first realizing how different they really are & how hardcore against rehearsing he is, etc...
No, the Queen of Rasp is Bonnie Tyler. Talk about a perfect tour- Rod and Bonnie would be enormous in Europe.

I think what may be unsettling to Stevie right now is that, for the first time in decades, she is playing before an audience that is largely indifferent to her, and she really has to put on her A-game to win them over. I think that is a good thing. There is no resting on her laurels for this tour. She needs to shake things up every once in a while!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that people are going to get a better show in the later shows.

Last edited by Jondalar; 03-30-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

wasn't it the rock a little tour she sang leather and lace with the keyboardist Bobby Martian

"The quality of the performance escalated. Midway through the show, her keyboardist, Bobby Martin, admirably sang the male lead on "Leather And Lace," a hit from the first Stevie Nicks' solo album, 1981s "Bella Donna." Fans broke into sporadic cheers."

Review of August 8, 1986 Concert in Daytona Beach, Florida

you can down load a show here

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90...ny-108668.html

Last edited by olive; 03-30-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can't imagine what Leather & Lace would sound like at this point.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd settle for Rod in Stevie's Stand Back shawl joining her: (MASH UP of the two)

(doubt it will ever happen!)

Last edited by Tango; 03-30-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
No, the Queen of Rasp is Bonnie Tyler.
Oh yeah, totally forgot about Bonnie. You're right, she is the queen of rasp! Lol