Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Macfanforever;1159318]

FM should talk to Garth Brooks and other artists that play for penny's.

[/QUOTE

Funny you mention him , I saw him (one of his 6 sold out shows )Last weekend , 28 songs 2 plus hours Trisha Yearwood Lots of Audience Interaction all for $55
Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Because that would totally happen with two people who combined had TWELVE of seventeen of Fleetwood Mac's top 40 singles still in the band. As a personality, Stevie is hands down the biggest name in the band, however, she's not bigger than the band. What's next for La Nicks? Another straight to the cut-out bin album produced by Dave Stewart followed by stints as a "special guest" in Tom's band or Don's band or opening for Rod Stewart?
I agree wholeheartedly that when it comes to FM, that the sum is far greater than it's parts. But if we dissect the band, that doesn't mean the parts outlay equally. Even though Christine was the hit maker of the band, she couldn't even partially fill theaters 30 years ago at the height of her fame. With some exceptions, Lindsey is in the same boat. Stevie has been the only one who could ever tour amphitheaters solo, although that boat seems to have slipped away from her this past decade. Combine all of the venues that Chris, Lindsey, and Stevie can sell on their own, and they still wouldn't equal half of what FM can do total.

So yes, Stevie is the largest draw- but FM is still far more than the sum of it's parts. The band has tried all sorts of combinations without Lindsey, without Chris, without Stevie & Lindsey, etc and it's the Rumours 5 that take this band to the next level, period.

Regarding Stevie's press gag on a new FM album, there are some very valid reasons why that could be in place. Is Stevie reticent to say there will certainly be a new album because John's continued good health may not be a given? Maybe she's worried about Chris bolting after the drama that is the road. Perhaps she's afraid that she herself may encounter too much drama on the road with the band, and will want a break afterwards. Maybe she just wants to write some new material and get it into demo form after the tour so she'll have something fresh to bring to the table. The possibilities are endless.

That being said, it IS Stevie who is holding up a new album, any way you slice it. Whether her intentions are noble, or she's dangling her participation as leverage isn't clear. I just hope something comes out of this drama, and in a timely fashion.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly that when it comes to FM, that the sum is far greater than it's parts. But if we dissect the band, that doesn't mean the parts outlay equally. Even though Christine was the hit maker of the band, she couldn't even partially fill theaters 30 years ago at the height of her fame. With some exceptions, Lindsey is in the same boat. Stevie has been the only one who could ever tour amphitheaters solo, although that boat seems to have slipped away from her this past decade. Combine all of the venues that Chris, Lindsey, and Stevie can sell on their own, and they still wouldn't equal half of what FM can do total.

So yes, Stevie is the largest draw- but FM is still far more than the sum of it's parts. The band has tried all sorts of combinations without Lindsey, without Chris, without Stevie & Lindsey, etc and it's the Rumours 5 that take this band to the next level, period.

Regarding Stevie's press gag on a new FM album, there are some very valid reasons why that could be in place. Is Stevie reticent to say there will certainly be a new album because John's continued good health may not be a given? Maybe she's worried about Chris bolting after the drama that is the road. Perhaps she's afraid that she herself may encounter too much drama on the road with the band, and will want a break afterwards. Maybe she just wants to write some new material and get it into demo form after the tour so she'll have something fresh to bring to the table. The possibilities are endless.

That being said, it IS Stevie who is holding up a new album, any way you slice it. Whether her intentions are noble, or she's dangling her participation as leverage isn't clear. I just hope something comes out of this drama, and in a timely fashion.
It would seem odd for those things to keep her from even mentioning it considering Lindsey and Christine are fine to talk about it.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM

The reason I want Stevie on board is because I would love to see new music with these five people. Even though Mirage and Tango were primarily written by Christine and Lindsey, we still got Gypsy, That's All Right, Straight Back, Seven Wonders. And her harmonies on the other two writers' tunes.

Lindsey is right, it's a band of chemistry and while she can be insufferable with her bloviating. She is huge in the chemistry of the band. Plus, she's singing better than I've heard since the Dance. All 3 of them are. (not to mention finances are good with her there, just like with Christine or Lindsey)

So that's why I want her on it.

If she doesn't do the album and they fire her. We might get a solid album and then see them in small intimate venues. (I'm not mad about that either.)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
It would seem odd for those things to keep her from even mentioning it considering Lindsey and Christine are fine to talk about it.
You are right- this whole thing boils down to Stevie pounding her chest and posturing. She's holding out for something- be it money, power, or simply just because she wants to see Lindsey squirm. I still just don't get it, though. She's gotten her most profound wish: Christine's return against all odds to buffer her & Lindsey. John's won his battle with cancer from what we can gather. Lindsey has long agreed to an outside producer. Stevie has admitted she farted out 24k Gold to brush off a contractual obligation. WTH does Stevie feel she isn't getting?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
The band has tried all sorts of combinations without Lindsey, without Chris, without Stevie & Lindsey, etc and it's the Rumours 5 that take this band to the next level, period.
There's still one combination that has never been tried. It wouldn't be the same level, sure, but it would still be viable.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The reason I want Stevie on board is because I would love to see new music with these five people. Even though Mirage and Tango were primarily written by Christine and Lindsey, we still got Gypsy, That's All Right, Straight Back, Seven Wonders. And her harmonies on the other two writers' tunes.
You could say that same statement on all their fab 5 albums; Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, Tusk all feature Stevie the least. Buckingham and McVie always have more songs.

Last edited by Richard B; 01-27-2015 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 01-27-2015, 10:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Does anybody think that, in part, all the continued "drama" talk from the members of Fleetwood Mac is simply to add to a larger narrative? It's great for business to constantly be discussing the relationships and "craziness" that is the band as it is what grabs headlines. I do not for one second think that Stevie and Lindsey are anywhere near being best friends, however I do think that both are very good at heighthening their neutrality towards each other in order to keep the Fleetwood Mac saga going within the public; the ongoing troubles of Fleetwood Mac is what keeps many interested in the band.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
Does anybody think that, in part, all the continued "drama" talk from the members of Fleetwood Mac is simply to add to a larger narrative? It's great for business to constantly be discussing the relationships and "craziness" that is the band as it is what grabs headlines. I do not for one second think that Stevie and Lindsey are anywhere near being best friends, however I do think that both are very good at heighthening their neutrality towards each other in order to keep the Fleetwood Mac saga going within the public; the ongoing troubles of Fleetwood Mac is what keeps many interested in the band.
agree, but there does seem to be this new, additional layer to the talk lately. Anyone else notice how much Stevie has latched onto this new narrative (especially since her mom died) about how she's been "raised to be independent" and "raised not to depend on any man' Now, she's said similar sorts of things off and on for years… but this seems to have become her theme for this point in time, and on this tour. Like she creates a "uniform" in terms of her outfits and hair and jewelry for each tour, she crafts a series of talking points and a narrative for each tour. This tour it's all about her independence and how she's beholden to no one. She's taken it even further in the Rolling Stone article and in the Maclean's article (see the Stevie thread for the whole article). In the Maclean's she is really feisty and says "no one has the balls to tell me what to do" blah blah blah. So it feels like there's something up, on top of just having her talking points for the tour (which I get when you do a zillion interviews for months and months-- you're not under the stress of coming up with something new every time you meet with a reporter)… she's really trying to prove something, whatever it is. Time is getting short for them to get sh*t done individually and as a team… does she feel she gave up too much along the way for the band and she's not going to do it again??
Old 01-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is extremely easy to decipher IMHO....

Stevie is very jealous that LB got to "walk out" and come back and get all the attention that it brought when he came back in the 90's.

Then Christine leaves and gets all the love she has received this year.

Stevie wants people to beg here to stay/come back, and thank her so much for staying/recording.

When this tour ends they will go their own way (sorry). She will do some recording/touring on her own. Then somewhere around the 2017 timeline she'll be back to record, and she will expect every article to talk about how she "came back" for one more. (or she's really gonna get pissed)

This whole "i can't get along with LB" talk rings hollow to me after all these years, it's felt like she thinks she has to say that for over 10 years now. If she didn't add drama the questions would stop....what would she do then.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Registered

Just to clarify, There will absolutely be no Fleetwood Mac album without Stevie. It just wouldn't work
Old 01-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'll still bet you that it sells far better than SYW. At least a million.
I guess I can agree with you that it would sell more than SYW with Stevie, but not without her.

Would it be more critically acclaimed than SYW, even without Stevie? I bet there's a good chance.

Michele
Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
Nope.She's out promoting 24 Karat and making plans for a follow up to it.The last thing on her mind is recording with The Mac IMO.I have thought from the beginning that Stevie,although I feel she really does love Chris,resents her a little b/c this tour is all about Chris and the spotlight is shining a little dimmer on her,and that is difficult for a diva to take.
I noticed in one interview where Stevie said they spoonfed the audience attention to Christine. Which is true. They do tee Christine up to get a lot of applause, mentioning her return and then positioning YMLF so strategically. But the way Stevie said it it was like she was pointing out that they have chosen to make Christine the showcase of this tour. A suggestion that it didn't happen organically, based on an outpouring of affection for the prodigal Macster.

Michele
Old 01-27-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I noticed in one interview where Stevie said they spoonfed the audience attention to Christine. Which is true. They do tee Christine up to get a lot of applause, mentioning her return and then positioning YMLF so strategically. But the way Stevie said it it was like she was pointing out that they have chosen to make Christine the showcase of this tour. A suggestion that it didn't happen organically, based on an outpouring of affection for the prodigal Macster.

Michele
Very good point. I'm sure that she and Lindsey being chummy in the studio and co-writing again has her thinking that it's old times all over again.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
This is extremely easy to decipher IMHO....

Stevie is very jealous that LB got to "walk out" and come back and get all the attention that it brought when he came back in the 90's.

Then Christine leaves and gets all the love she has received this year.

Stevie wants people to beg here to stay/come back, and thank her so much for staying/recording.

When this tour ends they will go their own way (sorry). She will do some recording/touring on her own. Then somewhere around the 2017 timeline she'll be back to record, and she will expect every article to talk about how she "came back" for one more. (or she's really gonna get pissed)

This whole "i can't get along with LB" talk rings hollow to me after all these years, it's felt like she thinks she has to say that for over 10 years now. If she didn't add drama the questions would stop....what would she do then.
Stevie left too. She came back at the same time as Lindsey.