User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Full-Page 'Very Best Of' Ad in Billboard

(*** Be sure to check out the 8th message posted beneath this, for the scan.***)

I don't have a chance to scan it at the moment, but I wanted to let everyone know that the current issue of Billboard (Sept. 7th, 2002), has a full-page ad for the 'Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac,' on the back cover.

Text from the ad:
Quote:
The Year Of Fleetwood Mac
begins October 15, 2002 with the release of
The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac
And it doesn't stop.
Fleetwood Mac's first new studio
album in 15 years arrives Spring 2003

The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac is an all-hits retrospective spanning 1975-1997: 36 classics on 2 CDs featuring "Go Your Own Way," "Don't Stop," "Dreams," "You Make Loving Fun," "Rhiannon," The Chain" and many more.
Enhanced CD includes rare live performances, interviews, music videos, and a link to exclusive footage of the band making their new 2003 album.
National TV campaign begins 3 weeks before release.

All this, AND a 2003 worldwide tour

The center of the ad features the cover of the 'Very Best Of' set, and at the very bottom, right-hand corner of the ad, is the little orange blossom from the cover of 'Greatest Hits,' and the URL, www.fleetwoodmac.com

As expected, it looks like Reprise is really going to go all-out promoting this, in order to build advance notice for the upcoming release.
I know a lot of people are disappointed with all of this, but it makes very sound business sense, and it will work to Fleetwood Mac's best advantage.

I'm sure some people will (rightfully) grumble about the "first new studio album in 15 years" statement, but keep in mind that this compilation only covers songs that feature Christine, Stevie or Lindsey... and the main marketing push is to promote Stevie and Lindsey's presence on the upcoming release.

And fans outside of the US should take note that the ad states the tour is planned to be "worldwide."

(By the way, if you follow the link to www.fleetwoodmac.com, the site has been updated, and features most of the text from the Billboard ad.)

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 09-13-2002 at 01:14 PM..
Old 09-09-2002, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so pumped for this!!

Did ya hear that Pip....."Worldwide"......yeah

BTW...I also used the Amazon Link from this site to order "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac"

Last edited by Lisa1769; 09-09-2002 at 04:38 PM..
Old 09-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default tv campaign

is this tv campaign gonna be like commercials for the best of album, or stuff for the studio album? any ideas?

chris
Old 09-09-2002, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'd say that the TV campaign will mainly focus on 'The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac,' and will serve as a reminder of how successful they've been, and how memorable the songs on this compilation are.
And then, in a secondary fashion, they'll make note that Fleetwood Mac will be releasing a new album in 2003.
Much like the ad.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Full-Page 'Very Best Of' Ad in Billboard

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I'm sure some people will (rightfully) grumble about the "first new studio album in 15 years" statement, but keep in mind that this compilation only covers songs that feature Christine, Stevie or Lindsey... and the main marketing push is to promote Stevie and Lindsey's presence on the upcoming release.
Yeah I know and I see what you're saying Johnny but I hate it how these guys at Reprise (or whoever it is making these "ignorings at convenience") wants it both ways. If they REALLY DO want to center on the BN lineup only then they shouldn't have included ALAYF & NQA in the tracklisting. JMHO though. A minor grumble.

John
Old 09-09-2002, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I completely agree with you John - the whole 'first album in 15 years' manages to snub the 90's incarnations, yet uses their song in the Greatest Hits thing - it's a bit weird. But good-o cause I like Sky's the Limit!

Thanks for that Johnny Stew!

WORLDWIDE TOUR?!?!?!

I am completely surprised! That means Australia, doesn't it!

"Doesn't it...!"
Old 09-09-2002, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The previous graphic that was on fleetwoodmac.com had that white button-looking thing that would appear just before the instruments would. I never could quite figure out what that was. I guess maybe it was supposed to be another crystal ball, now that it's been replaced by the bigger white crystal ball from the album cover. Random thought.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Reprisal of interest....

What is with WB/Reprisal???

They turn down Lindsey's GOS catalogue for being too uncommercial. Now they are puring the mula into ensuring it sees the light of day. Zah?
Can it really just be the Stevie drawcard? Well, 'maybe'.., but, come on. "Old welsh witch just aint what she used to be, aint what she used to be, aint what she used to be." LOL (OMG that was terrible!!)

Can it be, can it really really be, that execs at Reprise have finally come around to appreciate how much Twist of Fate, Shuffle Riff, Come, Down On Rodeo all rock??
Old 09-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was able to scan the ad this evening (and piece it back together!).
Sorry it's so small, but this was the only way that it would upload.

Johnny Stew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billboardad09-07-02.jpg (89.9 KB, 200 views)
Old 09-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up WOOHOO!!

Thanks Johnny Stew!! Cool ad!! YAY!! 2003...The Year of Fleetwood Mac..I like it!!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well... *lol*... by the time I had it re-sized small enough to upload here, it looked absolutely tiny on my photo editing program... but when I just opened the window here to see it, the pic is still fairly big.

Good, because I was worried no one would be able to read the text.

And Joe, about your comments... I know this is not a popular opinion around here, but I do think Stevie's presence makes a difference in the eyes of record execs. She is a proven draw both within Fleetwood Mac and solo, and they respond to that.
Meanwhile, Lindsey's work always achieves a lot of critical acclaim, which makes them happy... but they know he doesn't typically sell a large amount of albums.
So, having a Fleetwood Mac with both Stevie AND Lindsey, is like hitting the mother-load for record execs. Their product will now have commercial appeal AND critical appeal (most likely).

And they will not only sell to fans of FLEETWOOD MAC, but they will sell to fans of LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM, and they will sell to fans of STEVIE NICKS.
And that one-two-three punch means dollar signs!!!

Johnny Stew
Old 09-09-2002, 11:09 PM

Default Many thanks!

Thanks, Johnny Stew for all your work and attention on this.

I, for one, am not dismayed by the Reprise stance. Hey, it seems they're pulling out the stops to promote it, and that's positive no matter how you feel about their corporate culture. As well, they must like what they hear or they wouldn't be investing so much money. Full page and television ads run into money in a hurry.

Anyway, you'll get no complaints from me.

And about those TV ads . . . where do you think these will run? Strictly on the music stations? Curious.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

thanx brain!
worldwide... sounds promising!!!

(let's think.... a european flight & accomodation off season is 400$, a ticket is 150$ and if i wanna invite a friend that's another 150$, merchandize is another 150$, 2 days spending money is 100$... i gotta find a weekend/evening job i'm afraid... for awhile at least... should i go back to DJing...no way... maybe i can stop smoking to save some money?... impossible or not?, maybe they'll come to amsterdam... i do need a reason to go back there... but i wanna visit my friends in london...so much to think about...)

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Full-Page 'Very Best Of' Ad in Billboard

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
If they REALLY DO want to center on the BN lineup only then they shouldn't have included ALAYF & NQA in the tracklisting. JMHO though. A minor grumble.
I'm not trying to be a voice of dissention here, and I definitely understand how you feel. I think it's a shame that the rich history of Fleetwood Mac's ENTIRE career is overlooked so as to focus only on the success of the Buckingham Nicks era.
But still, I see that viewpoint too... as the majority of American fans, and indeed many of the fans worldwide (with England being the most notable exception), see "Fleetwood Mac" as being Mick, John, Chris, Lindsey, and Stevie... and no one else.
So that's what the record company tends to play up... "Look! We have your favorite Fleetwood Mac lineup together again!!!"

I just thought I'd point out that all the songs on the set are written and/or sung by Christine, Stevie and Lindsey.
And even though Lindsey doesn't play on "As Long As You Follow," "No Questions Asked," or "Sky's The Limit," Christine and Stevie sing lead on them, so to the casual listener, there won't be a discernable difference between those tracks, and those that do feature Lindsey as a guitarist.
(Unlike what would have happened had they thrown "Hard Feelings" in there, for example... where some people would have said, "who is THAT singing??")

One upside to all of this... given that Rick and Billy contributed to four of the tracks on this collection, they stand to earn some decent royalties from this too! With Rick making slightly more, since he co-wrote "Paper Doll."

Johnny Stew
Old 09-10-2002, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

johnny stew, i think the explenation is alot simpler, the green greatest hits album is probably going off the shelf to be replaced by the new album, if those 2 tracks won't be included- they will both become deleted tracks for not appearing in any album in the market.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!