Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Jeremy Spencer cover art

I was studying the cover art of the Jeremy Spencer And The Children LP. I'm sure you're familiar with it. The Grim Reaper in the middle, and several images around him. Cars, sex, family, sports, superheroes, music and fire. I assume it was the state of modern world and humanity..? I don't know who drew or designed it. Perhaps Jeremy Spencer himself could shed some light?

Anyway, I noticed some records there too. Dylan's Highway 61 Revisitied, Beatles' Sgt. Pepper and another I can't remember. AND (partially hid by the guitar) a rider on a horse... It's Then Play On!!!

I wonder why they put that one there...? It would make more sense to me if they put Kiln House there (his last one with FM). Or Future Games, as if to show what direction they took after Spencer left. This was in 1972, and Then Play On was a few years back. The only thing common could be that those records represented some kind of chance in direction...
Btw, does anybody here recognise that grey record?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (28.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
I was studying the cover art of the Jeremy Spencer And The Children LP. I'm sure you're familiar with it. The Grim Reaper in the middle, and several images around him. Cars, sex, family, sports, superheroes, music and fire. I assume it was the state of modern world and humanity..? I don't know who drew or designed it. Perhaps Jeremy Spencer himself could shed some light?

Anyway, I noticed some records there too. Dylan's Highway 61 Revisitied, Beatles' Sgt. Pepper and another I can't remember. AND (partially hid by the guitar) a rider on a horse... It's Then Play On!!!

I wonder why they put that one there...? It would make more sense to me if they put Kiln House there (his last one with FM). Or Future Games, as if to show what direction they took after Spencer left. This was in 1972, and Then Play On was a few years back. The only thing common could be that those records represented some kind of chance in direction...
Btw, does anybody here recognise that grey record?
Hi,
I don't own this record- would you recommend it?
Anyway, my initial reaction looking online was that the two kids are quite reminiscent of the kids on the Kiln House cover. Yes they are of different ages, but it’s the way one of the children in each image is pointing into the distance- surely it must be a nod to Christine’s artwork- perhaps the whole image is the opposite of that idyl depicted on KH. In general it looks to me to be a comment about capitalism/materialism/greed.
I'd hazard a guess Jeremy created the art.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know... grey record might be Cass Elliot's self-titled LP? Good point about the connection to the Kiln House motif.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for both comments!
The similarity between Kiln House and this one is interesting.

If I recommend it? Well I do like the music. The songs are a mix of country ballad style ala Mission Bell, and more rocky stuff with heavy lead guitar. The lyrics aren't that religious. The production job could have been better.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I don't know... grey record might be Cass Elliot's self-titled LP?
don't think so, becca - cass looks the opposite direction, and the photo's motif seems to be a different one . . . and, by the way, i just can't see any kind of obvious musical or artistic connection here. just my 2 cents on this one, though i can't offer any special idea at all about the real object.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Drawing a blank on that album. Had assumed it to be an image of a woman but it could be a man I suppose- many men like John Mayall had really long hair around that time.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Drawing a blank on that album. Had assumed it to be an image of a woman but it could be a man I suppose- many men like John Mayall had really long hair around that time.
it could very well be a male artist, i thought about that, too - in fact, that's what i had in mind in the first place . . . but again - who?

jeremy - if you read this . . .