The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default audio interview, KBCO: LB talks about EP making, new album, BN, solo work, etc

interesting interview, little more in depth than what we are used to:

http://www.fleetwoodmacnews.com/2013...25139286834092

thanks @nickslive for finding this!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

I would love to see EP evolve into an album. I hope they're developing new songs between legs of the tour. I don't think they will have any new songs ready for the Euro leg, though.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

It is so strange to hear him talk so openly about Stevie Nicks even tho he still struggles openly to find and use the right words, lol! And for it to seem unrehearsed is a new one. He sounded very relaxed. No mania in evidence! I like this LB!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1969 View Post
I would love to see EP evolve into an album. I hope they're developing new songs between legs of the tour. I don't think they will have any new songs ready for the Euro leg, though.
After being a fan for 20 years, I'm finally trying to look at it in a different light. If it happens, I will be thrilled beyond words. If it doesn't, then I won't be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
It is so strange to hear him talk so openly about Stevie Nicks even tho he still struggles openly to find and use the right words, lol! And for it to seem unrehearsed is a new one. He sounded very relaxed. No mania in evidence! I like this LB!
I love this new LB of the past couple years, too. He finally seems like he's comfortable in his own skin. He's comfortable with who he was, he's comfortable with who he is, and he's comfortable with wherever life takes him from here. For someone who has seemed so insecure for all of his professional life, it's wonderful to see him at peace after all these years.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Ledgie

Hey everyone! Is this interview in downloadable format anywhere?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
interesting interview, little more in depth than what we are used to:

http://www.fleetwoodmacnews.com/2013...25139286834092

thanks @nickslive for finding this!
Great interview. Lindsey is very open and honest lately.

The advertisement before hand was heartbreaking though...the driver texting who paralysed a young boy ...she didn't see him because she was texting "I'm on my way".
Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

What do you guys think the 'real' hold-up is with Stevie Nicks and her seeming disinterest in doing a FM record, handing over new songs? Or even for that matter committing to much in terms of a BN release. I swear, we're never gonna get that flipping record on CD if we have to depend of those two!
I think more than anything it's the climate within the music industry these days. LB seems to REALLY want to do something! Of course, that statement could be sooooo wrong, lol! Any other opinions, ideas?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Ledgie

Default Does Stevie write much music anymore?

Quote:
What do you guys think the 'real' hold-up is with Stevie Nicks and her seeming disinterest in doing a FM record, handing over new songs? Or even for that matter committing to much in terms of a BN release. I swear, we're never gonna get that flipping record on CD if we have to depend of those two!
I think more than anything it's the climate within the music industry these days. LB seems to REALLY want to do something! Of course, that statement could be sooooo wrong, lol! Any other opinions, ideas?
I think Stevie does not write much music any more. Lyrics, yes but music, no. In Your Dreams contains songs she either wrote long ago, or she wrote the lyrics but someone else came up with the music - usually Dave Stewart. A few years ago she said in an interview she had not written much of anything in a year and a half. Maybe she's bored with writing music?? Can't come up with new ideas?? Therefore, perhaps she feels she doesn't have much to contribute to a FM album - not like the old days.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise5 View Post
I think Stevie does not write much music any more. Lyrics, yes but music, no. In Your Dreams contains songs she either wrote long ago, or she wrote the lyrics but someone else came up with the music - usually Dave Stewart. A few years ago she said in an interview she had not written much of anything in a year and a half. Maybe she's bored with writing music?? Can't come up with new ideas?? Therefore, perhaps she feels she doesn't have much to contribute to a FM album - not like the old days.

yeah, maybe she needs a lot more help getting material together these days and really doesn't want to lean on Lindsey in that way any more. And besides, their styles have grown in different directions over the years. They aren't musically in tight synch like they were years ago when they were writing and rehearsing and recording together all the time.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think that music has always been the struggle for SN. The lyrics...poetry is her tour de force. And, I'm wondering just how HARD she wants to work anymore...she seems to be invited to do these one-off guest appearances a lot and I think she really enjoys them. I know I do!
I would love to see SN and LB put BN out on cd with a few bonus tracks (2 each too much to ask?) and, why would LB not want to use the fantastic band they used to record BN? I guess Waddy Wachtel's close affiliation with SN is something LB would find problematic? But they could do a nice show, a little talk and make us all really happy! I also wonder just how much overall interest there would be for the BN disc?
Also a little worried that SN is coming to an end with FM. No CM, LB is married with kids as is JM. Anyone else find the almost nonexistent relationship on stage between MF and SN weird? guess I do kind of believe that being with FM on the road is hard for SN in many ways and that going back to them gets harder every time, even tho the love will always be.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think that music has always been the struggle for SN. The lyrics...poetry is her tour de force. And, I'm wondering just how HARD she wants to work anymore...she seems to be invited to do these one-off guest appearances a lot and I think she really enjoys them. I know I do!
I would love to see SN and LB put BN out on cd with a few bonus tracks (2 each too much to ask?) and, why would LB not want to use the fantastic band they used to record BN? I guess Waddy Wachtel's close affiliation with SN is something LB would find problematic? But they could do a nice show, a little talk and make us all really happy! I also wonder just how much overall interest there would be for the BN disc?
Also a little worried that SN is coming to an end with FM. No CM, LB is married with kids as is JM. Anyone else find the almost nonexistent relationship on stage between MF and SN weird? guess I do kind of believe that being with FM on the road is hard for SN in many ways and that going back to them gets harder every time, even tho the love will always be.
Just how hard does Stevie want to work anymore???
Stevie has been working her 60+ yr old arse off pretty much non-stop since the end of the 2009 Mac tour. She has been more productive than ever. A new solo album, solo tours, the Rod Stewart thang, lots of IYD 's promotion, AI, Oprah, Ellen, Sound City Players, ect...
As far as her relationship w/ Mick:
I think its funny that when Lindsey wants to quit the band or doesn't want them to bother him for three years ...its ok...
Christine retires.....wants to be left alone...its ok...
Stevie wants to extend her solo promotion of IYD 's....Mick wines like a B....and starts w/ the guilt trip....its not ok..

Stevie said she had to have a sit down w / Mick about the Playboy article .....So, I definitely think that their relationship suffered..in 2009 he was her BFF....2013???? not so much. But, this isn't the first time Mick has ruffled her feathers...they seem to have moved on like all the times before. Mick has said and done worse to her over thee years. Mick and a lot of others, don't give Stevie the same amount of respect as Chris and Lindsey.

I think at the most, we could get one more Mac album...but Stevie is probably going to jump back into her solo career ...time is not on her side. She still has a lot she wants to say thru her music...She doesn't want to dedicate the time it would take to record a Mac album and not be happy with how her songs turn out, like w/SYW.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydust75 View Post
Just how hard does Stevie want to work anymore???
Stevie has been working her 60+ yr old arse off pretty much non-stop since the end of the 2009 Mac tour. She has been more productive than ever. A new solo album, solo tours, the Rod Stewart thang, lots of IYD 's promotion, AI, Oprah, Ellen, Sound City Players, ect...
As far as her relationship w/ Mick:
I think its funny that when Lindsey wants to quit the band or doesn't want them to bother him for three years ...its ok...
Christine retires.....wants to be left alone...its ok...
Stevie wants to extend her solo promotion of IYD 's....Mick wines like a B....and starts w/ the guilt trip....its not ok..

Stevie said she had to have a sit down w / Mick about the Playboy article .....So, I definitely think that their relationship suffered..in 2009 he was her BFF....2013???? not so much. But, this isn't the first time Mick has ruffled her feathers...they seem to have moved on like all the times before. Mick has said and done worse to her over thee years. Mick and a lot of others, don't give Stevie the same amount of respect as Chris and Lindsey.

I think at the most, we could get one more Mac album...but Stevie is probably going to jump back into her solo career ...time is not on her side. She still has a lot she wants to say thru her music...She doesn't want to dedicate the time it would take to record a Mac album and not be happy with how her songs turn out, like w/SYW.
Haven't read the Playboy article, I'll do that next...

I do think that if we get anything else from FM it might be another EP for the second leg of this tour and that just might be it for them just got choked up at that thought I think it just might be BN next but how and when...I don't know

Unfortunately, SN set herself up for disrespect and it's very hard to win it back completely once you're THAT destroyed. She has definitely come out the other side over the past 10-15 years and her self-confidence in standing up to FM (even tho MF, the jerk, commented, "only when the camera's on") is evidence of the shake up that's occurred in the power balance of FM. As out there as she can be, I just love Stevie Nicks! i think she will be in our lives for a long time to come, if we're lucky! Long live The Queen!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it is painfully obvious that Stevie either cannot write music any more or doesn't want to bother... even on TISL and SYW she relied on other writers or the vault for many songs, seven years full of covers-ridden concerts elapsed until IYD, which was almost totally written by others (only 3 songs were totally her compositions), and now she is balking at new FM music. She would be best advised to simply comb the archives for the beautiful unreleased demos and forget the need to write new stuff.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is there a transcript of this somewhere?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Is there a transcript of this somewhere?
There is now... I assume you're probably more interested in the latter questions but I've transcribed the whole thing anyway. For posterity or just because.

_ _ _

*saying hello*

B: You're one of those musicians who people, they know you, they grew up with you and then they hear you play guitar, they hear you do something solo, and they're knocked over all over again.

L: Well, you know, it's one thing in the context of the group, generally speaking anyway, where you are a band member and you have to... I mean, I've always tried to be a player who works in the service of the song. And sometimes that playing, it kind of sinks into the fabric of the production. And of course you get out there doing solo work and there's more a chance to kind of step out and do more of the fingerpicking thing by itself often. So yeah, you tend to be able to cover a little more ground that way.

B: Extended Pay is the new release. I just played Sad Angel for our audience. It sounds, you guys just fall right back into the groove and it's so interesting to me because I think about the stories behind Rumours, how long it took to put that together, and now how expedient you guys are -

L: It's ironic, is it not?

B: It's a little ironic. So why -

L: Well, you know, those were different days. Um, I think, you know, there's some little axiom - work expands or contracts given the amount of time you have to do it - and I think there was not only a sense that we had as much time as we needed. And really, Rumours wasn't a year of straight work. We were doing a few months or sometimes weeks and then going back out on the road and... But yes, we were, the making of Rumours was not an efficient process. You have to also look at it through the eyes of that time and the subculture that existed at that time and also the fact that we were still kind of finding our legs in terms of an approach. We had done one album and Rumours was an attempt to break away from some of the constraints of that and to find out our way and we were kind of experimenting around seeing where that was going to go. And if you compare that to now, we've pretty much got our drill down now so there is some, we've been doing this for awhile and I think it's a little easier to fall into what you know you can do.

B: While you do have the drill down, like you said, it has been ten years since we've heard any new Fleetwood Mac music so were you concerned that it wasn't going to go down the way it ended up going down in the studio?

L: Well, you know, I had a lot of new stuff and, um, I was coming off a solo album, Seeds We Sow, and actually had done some one man shows so creative juices were flowing. I wasn't too worried about it. Um, John and Mick are one of the great rhythm sections in rock and when you get that together and give them something interesting to play on, it's always going to turn out. I mean, certainly there was some sense in terms of the production but I wanted to work with someone who was lowkey and would not come in with too much of an agenda. I had had, had never worked with Mitchell Froom before but certainly had had many conversations with him and we had always said we would together sometime. And so he was the perfect, uh, extra element. So no, I mean, sure things can always go not the way you want them to but I was pretty confident about it and we all felt that it was a very appropriate thing to be doing at this point in time, knowing that we were going to be touring. And we knew we wouldn't have time to do a complete album before we started rehearsing but we wanted to make a start and to keep, see where it went. And, you know, if we do an album it'll be, we'll have to complete it after we're done with this tour. Um, but we did want to share some of the music with people now and to try and do a little bit of it onstage. And so it turned out very well on that level.

B: Obviously, the internet has its drawbacks when it comes to copyright issues and intellectual property issues but the flipside is, it must be really nice to have that expediency where you record some music and now it's available to anyone in the world who wants to get a hold of it.

L: Well, that's right and, you know, we've seen the business change a great deal and the model of the large company is in a mess because of that but, you know, we don't really, uh, we're not beholden to that model anymore necessarily and we kind of got in under the wire with that. And we go out and we tour and we do that thing which we've always done. So yeah, it's great to be able to say 'hey, let's put out an EP' and it becomes sort of a non-brainer in terms of making it available and having there be this ease to it. So yeah, it was a good time to do it, I think.

B: Tell me the story behind Without You because I understand that it was a lost song.

L: It was. I mean, uh, there is some disagreement as to when it was written. Stevie's been introducing that onstage, you know, as the nicest song she ever wrote about me *laughs* which is, you know, it may very well be true. Certainly, when that was written, um, our whole set of experiences lay before us and so, you know, we, she, I think it was written after the Buckingham Nicks album in that period of time before we connected up with Fleetwood Mac. She thinks it's a little earlier. Either way, you know, it's a very loving song, it celebrates the idea of the two of us and what that cocktail is when the two of use get together. But, um, yes, it's one of those things that fell by the wayside. It probably would've gone on that second Buckingham Nicks album had we done that. And then the demo of it just kind of lay fallow for years and then I believe it turned it somehow, as things tend to do, on YouTube or somewhere on the internet. And that's how Stevie became aware of it again because I think she'd forgotten about it and she mentioned it to me. And of course I remembered it perfectly and it's one of those things that, it just goes back to, you know, an early, early time and you just don't forget about it and it was a perfect contribution from her for this EP.

B: You mentioned yourself the Buckingham Nicks album. It's funny, I've asked you about it a couple of times and I've asked Stevie about it a couple of times regarding the re-release of the album. And when I ask one of you, you say 'ask the other one' so *Lindsey laughs* are we ever going to see an official re-release of the Buckingham Nicks album which is legendary in status?

L: Well, yeah, I think, you know, that's the irony. Part of the fact that it's legendary is that it's somewhat elusive. And yes, I think there will be a re-release of that on CD officially. Uh, you know, I feel it coming soon, you know. I mean, a lot of what's interesting about Stevie and me is we have our solo work that we do and then we come together in Fleetwood Mac and there are still chapters to be written about Stevie and me after all this time. I mean, it's hard to fathom how that could really be, that we would still be evolving, but that seems to be the case and I think that's one reason it's taken so long for us to come together for figuring out when's a good time to re-release that. Because we are sort of playing hide and see with each other, you know.

B: Well, I know that I have to let you go because you have a tight schedule but you're always fascinating to talk with. The Extended Play EP is out -

L: It's actually called Extended Play. We were just going to call it EP but then we thought the words Extended Play have a certain resonance. You can take it more as, you know, the idea of a play that has these three or four acts which would apply to this group or to Stevie and myself. There's lots of ways you can look at that so we jus left it at that.

B: I like the depth of meaning there. I like it a lot.

L: Yeah, absolutely.

*saying goodbye*