Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default A what if question...

So, what is the classic song? Can't be GYOW! Why? Hard to sing and in the wrong "mode" of what I'm looking for
Can't quite remember if this was ever posed.... (I'm old, please forgive me)
It seems that Landslide is Stevie's refelective remember song.... However,
in the same vain of "type" of song -- what about "Save Me A Place" for Lindsey?
I see sooo much on YouTube with indie bands doing this song.... Seems like SMAP tends to relate.... But has never pushed thru to the mainstream....
So question being.... What song would you propose to be THE Lindsey song competing with/complemeting to Landslide?
And I thank you in advance for my babbling I'm just in the mood.......

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
So, what is the classic song? Can't be GYOW! Why? Hard to sing and in the wrong "mode" of what I'm looking for
I see sooo much on YouTube with indie bands doing this song.... Seems like SMAP tends to relate.... But has never pushed thru to the mainstream....
So question being.... What song would you propose to be THE Lindsey song competing with/complemeting to Landslide?
And I thank you in advance for my babbling I'm just in the mood.......
i'm not sure exactly what are you looking for... contemplative ballad from lindsey?

go insane?

shut us down?

(definitely not SMAP, imo)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never Going Back Again?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i'm not sure exactly what are you looking for... contemplative ballad from lindsey?

go insane?

shut us down?

(definitely not SMAP, imo)
SMAP hater I love SMAP, and yes, it is the one that seems to get covered the most, and while I personally would definitely put it in the top choices, I think that redtulip hit the nail on the head with NGBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Never Going Back Again?
Tour after tour, solo or with FM, it is the biggest crowd pleaser (not counting monsters ISA and GYOW) by far! The fans, both casual, and hardcore seem to eat it up. Granted the hardcore are more particular about how we like it played (e.g. I hated it on SWS, but LOVE it on the solo tour and loved it on SYW tour).
Old 09-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Never Going Back Again?
i was thinking of that one b/c it's a pair with landslide in acoustic parts of the set these days... but NGBA was originally much faster song. i'd still go for GI or SUD...

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Tour after tour, solo or with FM, it is the biggest crowd pleaser (not counting monsters ISA and GYOW) by far! The fans, both casual, and hardcore seem to eat it up. Granted the hardcore are more particular about how we like it played (e.g. I hated it on SWS, but LOVE it on the solo tour and loved it on SYW tour).
well, if you look at the current tour, Go Insane was en par or bigger crowd and critics pleaser than NGBA. GI was unbelievable, while NGBA was just ok, he did much better versions in the past, e.g. SYW tour or Sounstage. (not to mention Come as another one that never failed to bring the house down, but we are looking at songs that are closer to ballads.)

but yeah, i think especially after Glee, NGBA is gaining a lot. and casual audiences recognize it in the set.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i was thinking of that one b/c it's a pair with landslide in acoustic parts of the set these days... but NGBA was originally much faster song. i'd still go for GI or SUD...
Could it be he has just too many great acoustic masterpieces??

Again, even though I prefer SMAP,SUD and GI to NGBA, I think that NGBA is the one that really sticks with FM fans and classic rock fans, and not just LB specific fans. When most people hear the opening chords to Landslide, they stop and listen ( jaded mega-fans who have heard it 10,000 times not withstanding). Same with NGBA. Nobody wants to miss that one when they go to a LB or FM concert.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Could it be he has just too many great acoustic masterpieces??

Again, even though I prefer SMAP,SUD and GI to NGBA, I think that NGBA is the one that really sticks with FM fans and classic rock fans, and not just LB specific fans. When most people hear the opening chords to Landslide, they stop and listen ( jaded mega-fans who have heard it 10,000 times not withstanding). Same with NGBA. Nobody wants to miss that one when they go to a LB or FM concert.
talking about show stoppers - anytime, any place, with anybody... BIG LOVE (acoustic, of course).

Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
talking about show stoppers - anytime, any place, with anybody... BIG LOVE (acoustic, of course).
Can't argue that...it's the showstopper ( like I said,, too many acoustic masterpieces ), but it doesn't ring emotionally with the casual fan the way NGBA does.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Can't argue that...it's the showstopper ( like I said,, too many acoustic masterpieces ), but it doesn't ring emotionally with the casual fan the way NGBA does.
exhibit A -

Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
exhibit A -

You KNOW you are preaching to the choir I even have on my Bucky Blinders

BUT, the average Joe who bought a last minute ticket to hear that guy from Fleetwood Mac wants to hear NGBA. Granted, he may leave the concert thinking HOLY S**T that Big Love song was amazing!!!! But he came for NGBA, and NGBA had him all nostalgic and feelin' good.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Big Love in Paris (again) but this one I love because you can really hear the crowd singing along (as they do for Landslide, yes, i know).

Old 09-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Big Love in Paris (again) but this one I love because you can really hear the crowd singing along (as they do for Landslide, yes, i know).

yes, thank you!! that's the one i was looking for - LOVE the crowd singing every word with him, even every grunt and scream in the final part!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
Not really a mainstream song either, but Walk a Thin Line comes to mind.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Not really a mainstream song either, but Walk a Thin Line comes to mind.

but i agree with you - that would be the first lindsey ballad that comes to my mind (no surprise there ), but i would definitely not rate it anywhere near mainstream.

although i was pleasantly surprised how people received it - and definitely knew it - in Chicago.