Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham: Alone and Kicking

http://dailyvault.com/article.php5?id=281

Lindsey Buckingham: Alone and Kicking

Sunset Center, Carmel, CA, USA, May 10, 2012

by Jason Warburg

Alone on a bare stage decorated only with an area rug and a sizable amp rig, two songs into a taut 90-minute set that epitomized words like “intensity” and “masterful,” Lindsey Buckingham paused to contemplate the long, twisting trail that has led the Palo Alto native to the top of the rock world, around the globe and back to Carmel's 800-seat Sunset Center as a still-vital solo act.

The “big machine”—the musical juggernaut Fleetwood Mac, of which Buckingham has been a part for 27 of the last 37 years—and the small machine—solo recording and touring—nourish and feed off of one another. After a long struggle to achieve balance between the two, Buckingham has concluded that both are necessary and each has a vital role to play in fueling his growth as an artist.

This sort of semi-obsessive self-examination lies at the heart of Buckingham’s work both inside and outside of the Mac. His songs, both solo and with the band, almost always navigate those critical moments in which life-altering choices are made, sometimes at great cost.

All of which was in ample evidence Thursday night at the Sunset Center, but so was this simple fact: dude can play guitar like nobody’s business. I wouldn’t exactly call being named one of Rolling Stone’s Top 100 Guitarists of All Time a badge of honor—like most things RS does these days, the list was driven more by sales than merit—but Buckingham has surely earned a place on any such list imaginable.

Snapping off notes like little firecrackers, executing and repeating complex strummed figures on a small army of acoustics—he changed guitars after every single song, thrashing each within an inch of its life and killing one dead onstage in a moment of frustration—Buckingham put his virtuosity on full display from the opening notes of “Cast Away Dreams,” a pretty, somewhat contemplative number from 2006’s Under The Skin.

Buckingham’s well-paced show alternated between solo and Mac tunes, deftly drawing the audience into his less familiar solo catalog while sprinkling the set with old friends and FM radio classics. “Cast Away Dreams” was followed by “Bleed To Love Her” from FM’s 2003 comeback album Say You Will, both full of Buckingham’s trademark drive.

After another pair of solo tunes—the gorgeously rendered “Not Too Late” and a very pretty instrumental that might have been “This Was Nearly Mine”—Buckingham paused again to introduce “Big Love.” In one of several revealing monologues, Buckingham described how this particular Mac tune was intended quite differently from the way it’s generally been interpreted by audiences, the phrase “looking out for love” having been intended as a defensive hunkering down against love’s onslaught. Hearing the backstory definitely changed the way this listener heard the song—the sort of insight and interaction you can only get from an intimate evening like this.

The gorgeous “Never Going Back Again” from Rumours followed to huge response, though Buckingham chose to make numerous changes to its arrangement, altering tempo, build and vocal phrasing throughout. The crowd, to its credit, rolled with the changes and rewarded Buckingham with a standing ovation.

Returning to solo tunes (including the suitably manic “Go Insane”) Buckingham showed a tendency to execute the same sort of vocal/instrumental build on every song, soft to medium to furious to soft again, in an almost-verse-verse-chorus-verse arrangement. His delivery at times felt a bit overcooked and repetitive in that respect, but you can’t fault his intensity; the guy brings it 110 percent every time he steps up to the mike. Amazingly enough, the 62-year-old Buckingham’s voice sounds, if anything, better than it did ten years ago—richer, stronger, and under his complete control.

On a couple of tunes mid-show Buckingham accompanied himself with prerecorded, rather subdued rhythm tracks. At the close of the main set, he brought out a pair of electric guitars and used full prerecorded backing tracks (bass, drums and acoustic rhythm guitar) to pull off powerful, extended versions of Mac classics “I’m So Afraid” and “Go Your Own Way,” bringing the crowd to its feet once again. As one of our party put it afterwards: “That man loves to play guitar.”

Encores of solo tunes “Trouble” and “Seeds We Sow” were well met and the evening ended with a sense of wonder and satisfaction at seeing an artist of unique intensity and focus bare his soul on a naked stage. The little machine and the big machine roll on, both filled still with life and power and a remarkable, timeless catalog of music. Long may they run.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Buckingham made a variety of impassioned facial expressions while playing, and yelled and clapped at the crowd when he finished.
Glad the reviewer noticed one of Lindsey's best talents: making those faces.

Michele
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://blogs.kusp.org/bergalert/2012/05/10/buckingham/

Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham Goes Solo at the Rio

Podcast: Play in new window | Download

By Eric Berg

(Listen to some soundbites and my comments about Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham’s last three excellent solo albums by clicking on the above audio link. The middle album, Buckingham’s GIFT OF SCREWS was cannibalized, retooled and released several years after it was originally recorded, because Warner Bros Records wanted some of the songs for use on Fleetwood Mac’s 2003 SAY YOU WILL comeback album.)

Anybody who went to see Lindsey Buckingham’s packed Friday night’s May 11th “Smallest Machine” performance (as he calls it) at the Rio in Santa Cruz, expecting to hear Fleetwood Mac’s greatest hits, must have blown away by the wealth of under the radar material he’s penned over seven solo ablums in 20 something years. I forgot to take my notebook pen and my iPhone, but Buckingham did perform two of the Big Machine’s hits. After a very tidy 90 minute set, the guitarist left no doubt that the Stevie Nicks-Buckingham edition of Fleetwood Mac was really “Lindsey Mac” eighty percent of the time. Track down a copy of Buckingham-Nicks from 1974 on the Polydor label and give it a listen. You’ll see how those two saved a run out of gas Mac from going to the junkyard permanently, the minute they joined the band.

Standing alone in front of a small bank of amps with a covey of his custom made guitars to one side, Buckingham successfully walked “the kiss of death – one guy with the electric guitar plank”. Although Buckingham is exceptional at playing rhythm and lead simultaneously, he did flesh out a band sound with some very ultra subtle sample and hold loops and beat tracks manipulated by his guitar tech who also swapped out a different custom axe on every song. Buckingham is a very precise guitarist with few wasted notes and a total perfectionist in the studio and so it goes on stage. His tenor voice still hits those wonderful high notes that are at times buried by his tendency to attack his guitar strings at a much higher volume than called for.

Buckingham culled a mix of songs from all seven solo albums on acoustic and electric guitar. I was a bit disappointed he did not do a few more from his brilliant Under the Skin or any of the Rolling Stones covers he does so well. Buckingham ended the evening with the title song from his latest, the highly recommended Seeds We Sew. A thoroughly enjoyable show from one of the most innovative guitarists and songwriters in rock.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham Is Gracious and Youthful at the Neptune Theatre on Saturday Night

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/rever...medium=twitter

Concert Reviews

Lindsey Buckingham Is Gracious and Youthful at the Neptune Theatre on Saturday Night

By Erin Thompson Sun., May 20 2012 at 7:00 AM
Categories: Concert Reviews

Lindsey Buckingham
Saturday, May 19
Neptune

Lindsey Buckingham appeared on stage at the Neptune on Saturday night in a black leather jacket, ankle boots, and skinny jeans. Buckingham is now 62 years old; with the years he's gotten rangier and his hairline's receded, but his voice and his vitality appear not to have aged--to the point that he's able to sound completely dynamic on stage by himself, just him and about eleven guitars he cycled throughout the set. Buckingham spent some time talking about the Big Machine (Fleetwood Mac) versus the Small Machine (his solo career), how neither would exist without the other, and how when he first started playing solo, he'd tour with a ten-piece band. "Tonight, it appears it's just me," he said. "So it looks like the Small Machine is getting smaller."

Buckingham does everything with flair. He shakes his head as he sings, like he's willing the notes out. He paws at his guitar strings like a dog, picks at them like a pianist. He pumps his guitar up in the air and soaks in the applause. After playing a few midtempo songs--2006's "Cast Away Dreams"; Fleetwood Mac's "Bleed To Love Her"--someone in the audience shouted, "kick it up a notch!", which was rude, but as if on cue Buckingham switched to electric for "Come" and heated up the room bawling out the chorus ("Think of me sweet darling every time you don't come/Can you feel the fever?"). He followed "Come" with a slowed-down, solemn, acoustic version of his 1984 synth-pop hit "Go Insane," which he ended on an astoundingly strong belting note. His voice never broke.

Buckingham received standing ovations for his fervent performances of "Come" and "Go Insane," but the audience erupted once he started in on the familiar open lines of "Never Going Back Again." After he closed his set with "Go Your Own Way," he shook hands with every person standing in front of the stage, left just briefly, and came back for an encore of two songs from the Small Machine. His performance of his very first solo hit, 1981's "Trouble," bore little in common with its cutesy, cheesetastic music video. Like "Go Insane," Buckingham slowed it down, drew out the vocal melody--"I really should be saying goodnight/I really shouldn't stay anymore"--so that it stretched and shimmered, transforming the song into something softer, more romantic, more mature.

Setlist:

Cast Away Dreams
Bleed To Love Her
Not Too Late
Poor Little Raven
Stephanie
Come
Shut Us Down
Go Insane
Never Going Back Again
Big Love
I'm So Afraid
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Trouble
Seeds We Sow
Old 05-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Trouble," bore little in common with its cutesy, cheesetastic music video. Like "Go Insane," Buckingham slowed it down, drew out the vocal melody--"I really should be saying goodnight/I really shouldn't stay anymore"--so that it stretched and shimmered, transforming the song into something softer, more romantic, more mature.
Don't you try to get that out of the setlist, Elle.

Michele
Old 05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/rever...medium=twitter

Concert Reviews

Lindsey Buckingham Is Gracious and Youthful at the Neptune Theatre on Saturday Night

By Erin Thompson Sun., May 20 2012

Setlist:

Cast Away Dreams
Bleed To Love Her
Not Too Late
Poor Little Raven
Stephanie
Come
Shut Us Down
Go Insane
Never Going Back Again
Big Love
I'm So Afraid
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Trouble
Seeds We Sow
Is Dancing ("Poor Little Raven") back in?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Is Dancing ("Poor Little Raven") back in?
no. just keeps staying in the setlist for some reason. maybe he's superstitious and doesn't want to have 13 songs?!

add Rodeo in Lindsey and you'll be back at 14!!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
no. just keeps staying in the setlist for some reason. maybe he's superstitious and doesn't want to have 13 songs?!

add Rodeo in Lindsey and you'll be back at 14!!
Oh, ok. Thanks, elle.

It was intriguing. I thought it could have went on SWS nicely. It would have been interesting to hear it more.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ Keep meaning to tell you, CAD, how much I love your sig .gif
Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Shows I’ll Never Forget: Lindsey Buckingham, May 19, 2012

http://networkedblogs.com/xSODC

Concerts, Pop Music, Rock Music, uncategorized — May 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Shows I’ll Never Forget: Lindsey Buckingham, May 19, 2012

Posted by
Glen Boyd

At Neptune Theatre, Seattle, Washington: “The small machine appears to have just gotten a little smaller,” was how singer-songwriter, and Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham described it during the Seattle stop of his current solo tour this past Saturday night at the Neptune Theatre.

Buckingham returned to this topic again and again during the show. Comparing what he does with the “big machine” of Fleetwood Mac, to the more left-of-center music he plays as a solo artist — both with smaller groups, and now, as a virtual one man band — Buckingham talked about how the two seeming extremes are a necessary compliment to one another. Performing songs from a setlist which drew equally from his solo work (from “Trouble” to the recent “Seeds We Sow”), his platinum smashes with Fleetwood Mac (“Go Your Own Way,” “I’m So Afraid”), and even the relatively obscure, pre-Fleetwood Mac Buckingham-Nicks album (“Stephanie”), Buckingham made a very convincing case for how these individual pieces form a more complete artistic whole.

But more than that, on this night Lindsey Buckingham demonstrated why that in addition to being a great songwriter with one of the better ears for a great pop hook in the business, he is also such a world-class guitar player. Performing in the same solo, but not always acoustic, format that Neil Young used to such great effect on his recent Twisted Road tour (and backed by his own small army of acoustic and electric guitars lining the wall behind him), Buckingham pretty much tore the house down at the tiny, 900 seat Neptune Theatre on Saturday night.

The only major complaint, was that at a scant ninety minutes, the set could have been just a bit longer.

Even so, he used the time very well. The small venue also gave the audience a rare and intimate opportunity to view Lindsey Buckingham’s guitar technique — and especially his unique style of finger picking — up close and personal from just about any seat in the house. For those in the first few rows, this also made for plenty of glad-handing between audience and performer, which Buckingham himself seemed to genuinely enjoy doing.

But mostly, the intimate setting provided Buckingham with the perfect place to show off his guitar chops, which he did with considerable passion and vigor. On the quieter songs, like the instrumental “Stephanie” (reportedly written for his then lover and musical partner in Buckingham-Nicks, Stevie), “Seeds We Sow,” and a beautifully reworked “Trouble,” Buckingham’s marvelous overhand picking technique — where he plucks the strings like a bass guitar — was on full display with a variety of acoustic guitars. This was equally matched by the power of his voice, which he routinely took from a whisper to a scream pretty much at will.

But the real fireworks came when he strapped on the electric. For Fleetwood Mac’s megahit “Go Your Own Way,” Buckingham was able to effectively duplicate the sound of his self-described “big machine,” by looping the rhythm parts he had just finished playing, once it came time for the big guitar solo. For a song that he has probably played something like a million times, Buckingham attacked this with venom too — the song sounded as fresh and new here, as it did the when the world first discovered it on the Rumours album.

The hands-down stunner of the evening though was a scorching, eight minute take on the Big Mac’s “I’m So Afraid.”

Here, the dark foreboding power chords that open the song were matched by a vocal where Buckingham held nothing back. As his voice slowly rose in intensity to an anguished cry, the song’s tension built to a thunderous crescendo which soon exploded into a blistering guitar solo. Buckingham’s fingers and hands were simply all over the place here — a blur of light and shadow flying up and down the fretboard, even as he slapped away at his axe ferociously.

It was at this point, that the concert crossed a line into greatness. Flying completely solo at this late stage of the game, Lindsey Buckingham is definitely playing like he is “all-in” right now.

Setlist, Seattle, Washington, May 19, 2012:
Castaway
Bleed To Love Her
Not To Late
Dancing
Stephanie
Come
Shut Us Down
Go Insane
Never Going Back
Big Love
I’m So Afraid
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Trouble
Seeds We Sow

Author: Glen Boyd
Glen Boyd is the author of Neil Young FAQ, released in May 2012 by Backbeat Books/Hal Leonard Publishing. He is a former Music Editor at Blogcritics Magazine, and a longtime music journalist whose work has appeared in SPIN, The Rocket, The Source and other publications. You can read more of Glen's work at The World Wide Glen (http://theglenblog.blogspot.com) and The Rockologist (http:www.therockologist.com).

Last edited by elle; 05-20-2012 at 10:06 PM..
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The hands-down stunner of the evening though was a scorching, eight minute take on the Big Mac’s “I’m So Afraid.”
ISA bringing down the house. Insane after all of these years. Makes me wish I was there when they performed it for Bill Clinton. I wonder how long it ran. I hope Lindsey was especially good that night.

Michele
Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
^^ Keep meaning to tell you, CAD, how much I love your sig .gif
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.ssgmusic.com/live-review-...ptune-theatre/

Live Review: Lindsey Buckingham at the Neptune Theatre
Fleetwood Mac's Main Man Pares Down to the Essentials for an Awed Seattle Crowd

Posted by Levi Fuller on May 21st, 2012

If the name Lindsey Buckingham means nothing to you, and yet you are a human possessed of the ability to hear, I can just about guarantee that his unique voice and brilliant pop songcraft are in fact quite familiar to you. As a key songwriter and singer in Fleetwood Mac from 1975 on, Buckingham penned and sang some of the most recognizable and enduring tunes to grace the FM rock radio airwaves, including “Go Your Own Way,” “Second Hand News,” and “Never Going Back Again” (and that’s just from side 1 of Rumours).

Buckingham has had a relatively prolific solo career for decades – during Saturday’s concert he referred to it as the “small machine” to Fleetwood Mac’s “big machine” – probably the most recognizable product of which for the casual listener would be “Holiday Road,” the theme from the 1983 movie “National Lampoon’s Vacation.” That little pop gem aside, Buckingham’s solo career has generally been about experimenting as an artist and letting himself be creative without worrying about hits. He spoke on Saturday about the importance of having these two elements in his life, and it was plain that his work with the “small machine” brought him much joy. By all appearances the audience at the Neptune was here not to witness a slice of the big Fleetwood Mac machine, but to revel in the brilliance of the small machine on a small stage. And revel we did.

Lindsey Buckingham walked out on stage a few minutes past 9, embodying L.A. cool in tight dark jeans and boots, a black shirt, and black leather jacket that he never removed despite what must have been quite toasty conditions on stage. The packed house screamed and cheered, and Buckingham bowed and hopped around and cheered back, mugging and smiling as he strapped on his acoustic guitar – a routine he repeated between pretty much every song, soaking up the audience’s adulation as we soaked up his music. He opened with “Cast Away Dreams,” from his 2006 solo album Under the Skin, starting us off softly with lightly strummed chords and his distinctive voice – in its soft, raspy mode for the verses and opening up for the chorus’s high, full-throated melody.

Up next was “Bleed to Love Her,” a lesser known Fleetwood Mac song. Here Buckingham’s impeccable finger picking (he never once held a guitar pick for the entire night), commanding voice, and powerful dynamics set the tone for the evening. All that was on stage was a man with an acoustic guitar (and, OK, a handful of effects pedals and several amps), but with these simple tools he could bring the audience from hushed reverie to foot-stomping cheers within a single song, as he did again and again through the night. For a few songs later on in the night he was supported by some simple backing tracks, usually just percussion or a basic guitar part that could back him up as he launched into the occasional blistering guitar solo (and if the idea of a man in his 60s standing on stage belting out a guitar solo over backing tracks sounds somewhat lame to you I get that, but Lindsey Buckingham can pull it off in such a way as to make the most jaded and cynical among us drop our jaws and shake our heads in wonder).

But the heart of the evening was the man, his voice, and his guitar, and that’s really all we needed. He played a couple of familiar Fleetwood Mac songs – “Go Your Own Way,” his last pre-encore song, had the floor audience standing and cheering insanely, of course – and a couple of solo songs I recognized from his darkly beautiful 2011 album Seeds We Sow, but much of the set was composed of songs that were new to me, or only vaguely familiar. It didn’t matter, as the genius of these songs, his near perfect performance of them was enough to captivate and delight, perhaps even more so than a rehashing of a long-beloved song such as “Go Your Own Way.”

Introducing the song “Big Love” (originally slated for his third solo album, but ultimately released on the 1987 Fleetwood Mac album Tango in the Night), Buckingham said that this song embodied an important element of his musical philosophy, and what I think makes him such a compelling songwriter, producer, and performer: “Seek out what is essential, seek out the center, and discard what is inessential.” It’s a simple enough credo, but one that is very hard to get right, and one that that Lindsey Buckingham has mastered. As far as I could tell, everyone leaving the Neptune Theatre on Saturday had decided that, whether with the big machine or the small machine, Lindsey Buckingham was most definitely essential.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
http://www.ssgmusic.com/live-review-...ptune-theatre/ occasional blistering guitar solo (and if the idea of a man in his 60s standing on stage belting out a guitar solo over backing tracks sounds somewhat lame to you I get that, but Lindsey Buckingham can pull it off in such a way as to make the most jaded and cynical among us drop our jaws and shake our heads in wonder).
nicely said! there you go all you complainers
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
"Seek out what is essential, seek out the center, and discard what is inessential.” It’s a simple enough credo, but one that is very hard to get right, and one that that Lindsey Buckingham has mastered. As far as I could tell, everyone leaving the Neptune Theatre on Saturday had decided that, whether with the big machine or the small machine, Lindsey Buckingham was most definitely essential.