The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kena View Post
The hunting day was not over for them after the snake. They also shot a couple squirrels. Guess what was for dinner? Nice and crunchy "chicken." Kids always think its chicken. ha ha.
I don't think I've ever ate squirrel. So you've got me beat on that one.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM
estranged4life's Avatar
estranged4life estranged4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mannford, OK
Posts: 13,890
Thumbs up I have a skunk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
While not exactly a snake, there's a armadillo that's making holes all in
my yard. His days are numbered............
that has taken up residence near my trash bin. It must've sprayed the trees because I could smell the scent when I was outside playing with a green praying mantis the other day. I love praying mantis', they kill those damn annoying crickets in my yard.

I haven't seen any scorpions as of late but I did catch myself a millipede earlier, I placed it near some dead leaves so it should have its own 'all you can eat' buffet.

And my 'black widow' still has her nest up on the South side of the house, she's my fave!
__________________

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

I love my wife Alisa Garbuz-Johnson...Goofy Russian with a great sense of style, humor and music!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
I was outside playing with a green praying mantis the other day. I love praying mantis', they kill those damn annoying crickets in my yard.
Praying Mantis...cool!
Had no idea they ate
crickets.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 AM
jaycee's Avatar
jaycee jaycee is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 664
Default

If you'll believe it, I had a spider crawling on my leg a couple of weeks ago when I was in, of all places, the shower! After being stunned for a few minutes (let alone worried it had already bit me) I brushed it off onto the bathmat and later captured it in a jam jar. The day after I took it to college to be identified, but I ultimately never bothered, as it didn't seem to have bitten me, so I instead disturbed a few friends by showing it to them. After arriving home from college I threw it in the backyard.
__________________
The two essentials for a healthy mind:
1. Philosophy & Science
2. Fleetwood Mac
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
After arriving home from college I threw it in the backyard.
You're much more nice than I.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:01 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Two more snakes bit the dust this week.
One on the back porch, one under a fig tree.

There seems to be two Biblical references
there. Intentional?

And not for the faint of heart (animal lovers),
because there was a reason for killing this creature.
I killed a huge alligator snaping turtle this past week.
Of all places, he was coming up my driveway. He must
have thought he'd take a shortcut to one of our ponds.
I changed his mind.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Aussie W/Heart Aussie W/Heart is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Two more snakes bit the dust this week.
One on the back porch, one under a fig tree.

There seems to be two Biblical references
there. Intentional?

And not for the faint of heart (animal lovers),
because there was a reason for killing this creature.
I killed a huge alligator snaping turtle this past week.
Of all places, he was coming up my driveway. He must
have thought he'd take a shortcut to one of our ponds.
I changed his mind.
Killing reptiles is not cool, im sure a snake catcher in your area would be happy to relocate your unwelcome visitors...
Im curious so what was your reason for killing 2 snakes and 1 snapping turtle, it better be a good one, eg: like they were going to kill then eat you first
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 AM
estranged4life's Avatar
estranged4life estranged4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mannford, OK
Posts: 13,890
Cool On Tuesday...

I was out at the lake (Ft.Cobb State Park) and saw a water moccasin with a dead shad in its mouth - took a small round rock and nailed it off the top of the snakes head! Didn't kill the snake but it was rather amusing to watch it swim off...Around the first of the month I was at the lake in my usual spot (Picnic Table #5 at Caddo Hill) and saw a baby water moccasin swim up between my feet and it fled away when I moved.



Haven't seen any Praying Mantis' lately, but about a week ago I played with a female scorpion on my porch - I let her live since it was obvious she would be having lil' stingers very soon.
__________________

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

I love my wife Alisa Garbuz-Johnson...Goofy Russian with a great sense of style, humor and music!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 AM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
Killing reptiles is not cool, im sure a snake catcher in your area would be happy to relocate your unwelcome visitors...
Im curious so what was your reason for killing 2 snakes and 1 snapping turtle, it better be a good one, eg: like they were going to kill then eat you first

Oh, I don't think it's cool. The snapping turtle was killed because
they get in our ponds and eat the fish. Especially one the size of
ole' al. Water Moccasins are very poisonous and need to be
killed. Other non-poisonous snakes just need to stay out of my
yard if they want to live longer. And Alabama would need an
army of snake catcher/wranglers to keep up with all the snakes
around here. Plus I can't imagine waiting on a wrangler to show
up.

Estranged4life, quit playing with those scorpions. I haven't seen
a praying mantis in awhile.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 AM
WildHearted's Avatar
WildHearted WildHearted is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,136
Default

This thread makes me really sad, honestly. I understand feeling the need to potentially kill venomous snakes for your own safety (although if it was not a detrimental situation, you could always call and have it relocated), but it always disturbs me to see people basking in the glory of killing harmless animals.

Sorry. Snakes aren't evil. Honestly, we should respect them - they manage to survive and thrive in almost every part of the world without any arms or legs... pretty awesome if you ask me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 10,874
Default

^^^I understand your point.

I was raised to live in sheer terror of them, and I'm still deathly afraid of them. I do kill them, but less frequently than I used to. I've seen 4 so far this summer, and haven't killed one, yet. I almost feel like I'm getting used to seeing them, and it's not quite the heart attack it used to be!

But I still HATE them. All of them.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Silver Springs's Avatar
Silver Springs Silver Springs is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
This thread makes me really sad, honestly. I understand feeling the need to potentially kill venomous snakes for your own safety (although if it was not a detrimental situation, you could always call and have it relocated), but it always disturbs me to see people basking in the glory of killing harmless animals.

Sorry. Snakes aren't evil. Honestly, we should respect them - they manage to survive and thrive in almost every part of the world without any arms or legs... pretty awesome if you ask me.
I completely agree with this. There's no reason to kill an animal for the sake of it. And even less reason to blow a trumpet about it and take pride from it.
__________________
 photo anigif_zpsaae925b8.gif
You were the only audience I ever needed.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
estranged4life's Avatar
estranged4life estranged4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mannford, OK
Posts: 13,890
Talking I was out at the lake...

again yesterday, playing with snakes in the water - My older sis told to "not mess with them, I could be bit"...

I responded to her "There's cute girls out here, I hope one of them bites me instead..."
__________________

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

I love my wife Alisa Garbuz-Johnson...Goofy Russian with a great sense of style, humor and music!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Macfanforever's Avatar
Macfanforever Macfanforever is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wallyworld CT
Posts: 10,537
Default

I have not found any snakes in the yard yet but I happen to wake up a big fat worm at lease 6 inches and 1//8 to 1/4 inch fat when I was digging in the back yard.I jumped when I seen him.Hahahah.LOL I let it craw away.
__________________
Skip R........

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,802
Default

WildHearted & SilverSprings,
Basking in the glory and blowing my own trumpet
is not exactly what this thread is about. Did you gals
read the title?

I would think anyone would "get" that this thread is
more about making fun of myself than actually about
killing snakes. I'm not a hunter, and have never cared
for it. I stopped hunting over 30 years ago, with the
exception of snakes in the yard or around ponds. I'll
admit to enjoying shooting, or liking guns. But that's
about it.

All I ask is for people to read the titles or comments I
make - and to just think. Now it's guitar playing time!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picture35 mm PHOTO SLIDE TRANSPARENCY #887 BEKKA BRAMLETT singer song writer
$1.2
35 mm PHOTO SLIDE TRANSPARENCY #887   BEKKA BRAMLETT  singer  song writer picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved