Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default EP was Stevie's idea

http://oldies1017.com/The_Music_World.php

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM & STEVIE NICKS ENJOYING A 'LOVE-FEST' ON THE ROAD

It's safe to say that Fleetwood Mac's 2013 tour carries none of the baggage that plagued so many of the band's previous outings. Over 35 years since splitting as lovers, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks are admittedly closer than they've been since their pre-fame Buckingham Nicks days, and are enjoying a personal and creative resurgence.

Buckingham, who in the past could barely hide his vitriol in the songs he composed about Nicks following their bitter split, admits that age and time has softened the former couple considerably: "We're sort of finding that, y'know, we're in this kind of a love fest between Stevie and me out there, which is great. Y'know, it's sort of karmic after all this time it's very of sweet that we're able to sort of tap into that. On more of an overview level. . . I don't know. . . I think we're playing better, or as well as we've ever played."

When talking about Fleetwood Mac's new digital EP, Extended Play, Buckingham told us that the original plan was only to release a single, but at Stevie Nicks' urging, the project became more substantial: "Originally we were just gonna drop a couple of tracks on iTunes. And it was actually Stevie's idea to make it from two songs and then suddenly it became three, and then suddenly it was four, so we decided to make it an EP. And that's, that's the way it went."

Fleetwood Mac North American tour dates (subject to change):
May 25 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl
May 26 - Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Arena
May 28 - Anaheim, CA - Honda Center
May 30 - Phoenix, AZ - US Airways Center
June 1 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
June 4 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center
June 5 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center
June 7 - Tampa, FL - Tampa Bay Times Forum
June 8 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - BB&T Center
June 10 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena
June 12 - Detroit, MI - Joe Louis Arena
June 14 - Rosemont, IL - Allstate Arena
June 15 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
June 18 - Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
June 19 - Albany, NY - Times Union Center
June 21 - Mansfield, MA - Comcast Center
June 22 - Wantagh, NY - Nikon At Jones Beach Theater
June 24 - Charlotte, NC - Time Warner Cable Arena
June 26 - Des Moines, IA - Wells Fargo Arena
June 29 - Spokane, WA - Spokane Arena
June 30 - Portland, OR - Rose Garden Arena
July 3 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center
July 5 - San Diego, CA Viejas Arena
July 6 - Sacramento, CA - Sleep Train Arena

AUDIO: LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM ON 2013 FLEETWOOD MAC EP
AUDIO: LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM ON 2013 FLEETWOOD MACTOUR

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

so weird, she only contributed one song
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

really is weird stevie is barely on the EP to me the EP is just ok.Not totally thrilled about for some reason.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the ep is beautiful but i also am not thrilled. reason being. as much as i love the IDEA of eps... I haven't been able to respond to them as art. Even the best EPs in the history of the world--those released by Florrie--I listen to assembled together as a longer playlist that, essentially, makes up the greatest pop album of the century, rather the eps themselves as an isolated format.

But I digress.

This is also weird because I thrill to the four-track singles (one A-side, three b-sides) by the likes of the Pet Shop Boys and Morrissey. For me, part of it is the analytical anchor of the A-side and the gratuitous love signified by so many b-sides, that impact my experience of the Single vs. the ungainly, unfocused EP (which feels like a place-holder before a proper album). Those two qualities of the four-track single invite the listener to discover the theme.

So, oddly, if it were billed as Sad Angel as a single with three b-sides I would probably be raving about it as the release of the year instead of barely listening to it.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 05-23-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
So, oddly, if it were billed as Sad Angel as a single with three b-sides I would probably be raving about it as the release of the year instead of barely listening to it.
This is very true for me as well. Sad Angel is the clear keystone of this release, it really does feel like a single release rather than an EP, to me. If it were framed it that way, I might be more okay with my relatively lacklustre response to a lot of the other material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Why would you say: Ooooh, I want this one, but then only want to do backing harmonies? It makes no sense. Plus Sad Angel is the most Fleetwood Mac-y of all the songs per Lindsey.
Because you realize the song sounds better that way. Stevie and Lindsey harmonize well together, but their harmonies don't always make for the best possible production choice in every line of every song, and you can't always immediately tell where they'll end up fitting well. I'm inclined to think she chose Miss Fantasy too.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
When talking about Fleetwood Mac's new digital EP, Extended Play, Buckingham told us that the original plan was only to release a single, but at Stevie Nicks' urging, the project became more substantial: "Originally we were just gonna drop a couple of tracks on iTunes. And it was actually Stevie's idea to make it from two songs and then suddenly it became three, and then suddenly it was four, so we decided to make it an EP. And that's, that's the way it went."
Fascinating! Straight from Lindsey. So Lindsey and I assume Mick/John were just gonna do one or two, but Stevie suggested doing more.

Well I guess we have to thank Stevie for this EP that she is barely on!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, thanks Stevie.

I'm glad we have Miss Fantasy and It Takes Time.

Wonder who picked out the songs.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Well, thanks Stevie.

I'm glad we have Miss Fantasy and It Takes Time.

Wonder who picked out the songs.
i was wondering about that too. remember how when they first talked about sad angel and miss fantasy stevie said she picked one and lindsey picked another one. would be interesting to know who picked which one.

and also, yeah how did ITT get picked.

we know stevie picked WY.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i was wondering about that too. remember how when they first talked about sad angel and miss fantasy stevie said she picked one and lindsey picked another one. would be interesting to know who picked which one.

and also, yeah how did ITT get picked.

we know stevie picked WY.
If I had to guess, I'd say Lindsey picked Sad Angel and Stevie picked Miss Fantasy, just based on the fact that Sad Angel became the single and is Lindsey's new song to play in concert, etc. That way when they were just going to do 2, Lindsey had his choice (Sad Angel) and Stevie had her song (Without You).

ITT, I have no clue.

Someone ask Mick.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd bet money that Stevie chose Sad Angel. It's essentially a duet, whereas she has only accent harmonies on MF.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say Lindsey picked Sad Angel and Stevie picked Miss Fantasy, just based on the fact that Sad Angel became the single and is Lindsey's new song to play in concert, etc. That way when they were just going to do 2, Lindsey had his choice (Sad Angel) and Stevie had her song (Without You).

ITT, I have no clue.

Someone ask Mick.
I think your clue is spot on. I think Lindsey chose Sad angel, too.