The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I recall being very happy when Tango in the Night was released. The album cover was so tropical and mysterious, and the music production was fitting and contemporary for its time. It put Fleetwood Mac back on the map in a big way.

'Welcome to the Room Sara' was (and still is) my favorite Stevie song from the album. In hindsight -- now knowing it was written about her Betty Ford stint -- the title and lyrics have more clarity to them.

'Big Love' was such a departure soundwise, but I grew to love it. I agree that 'You and I, part 1' would have been a better choice than version 2. Christine's songs, as usual, were all solid.

I really liked 'Seven Wonders' at the time. But since then, it has bothered me because it could have been much better. The verses are somewhat clunky and could have been written better, and her delivery is a tad shrill. "When I See You Again' screams "B-side!" 'Joan of Arc,' if further developed, would have been a vast improvement. (Although, too many "Turn it to the wall" vocal lines would venture to close to the "What's the matter baby, baby, baby" vocal lines of 'When I See You Again."

I wish they would re-release this (along with Mirage) with the same treatment of Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk, with all the b-sides:

You and I, part 1
Book of Miracles (what would have been 'Juliet'!)
Down Endless Street
others?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tango in the Night is my second favourite Fleetwood Mac album after Tusk. I think the nostalgia element definitely helps, because it was constantly played as I was growing up and it's my mam's favourite album. There are only two songs I can't abide of this album - Caroline and Family Man. Like many others here, the Stevie songs on this album are not my favourites but I do love them all. They add character to a really polished piece of work. Of course, you can almost tell what month it was made, it's that dated, but it's a piece of musical history. I think Christine is the strongest on this album; she really was at the top of game in the 80s.

I too wish the title track would be played live, it's my favourite song off here along with Big Love, although I wish Lindsey would stop playing an acoustic version of it.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
I too wish the title track would be played live, it's my favourite song off here along with Big Love, although I wish Lindsey would stop playing an acoustic version of it.
Yes yes yes a thousand times yes! (Either that or Go Insane!)

Last edited by WarmSir3; 12-31-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I wish they would re-release this (along with Mirage) with the same treatment of Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk, with all the b-sides:

You and I, part 1
Book of Miracles (what would have been 'Juliet'!)
Down Endless Street
others?
The other b-side is "Ricky" which is not a great song, but was the b-side to "Little Lies". That's another thing I liked about "Tango", each single had a non album b-side.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
The other b-side is "Ricky" which is not a great song, but was the b-side to "Little Lies". That's another thing I liked about "Tango", each single had a non album b-side.
Yes! 'Oh Ricky won't you come out tonight.' Such a strange song, with Chris singing!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Yes! 'Oh Ricky won't you come out tonight.' Such a strange song, with Chris singing!
You can hear Lindsey's personality in the song. Those opposites coming together, even in zaniness, is very satisfying.

Michele