Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool MORE Danny Kirwan solo stuff!!

Ram Jam City - How fun is THIS song?! It's very country, but I like it, I NEVER thought I'd hear a song like THIS from DK!! The FIRST thing I thought of listening to it was The Monkees because it sounds like something they would do...Mike Nesmith especially, since he was the "country" sound for The Monkees. Great song!

Odds & Ends - Another Monkees-sound-alike song!! I can TOTALLY hear them doing this!! Maybe THAT is why I love DK so much! Love the piano, very vaudvillian, um, Dixie-landish, saloon type of song. Since Davy Jones was/is the "Broadway" sound for The Monkees...it would work. CUTE!!

Skip a Dee Do - "dah, skip a dee aye, my oh my, what a wonderful day.." LMAO!! No, it's not the Disney song! Oompa! LOL This song it cute because it's got the bob-head factor. And, OMG, I'm gonna be singing, "skip a dee do, skip a dee day.." for WEEKS! LOL

Love Can Always Bring You Happiness - Starts off country-ish, but it has strings too. I like it, pretty song. Love the "outer-space-y" sound in it! Mellow...dude.

Falling in Love with You - "wise men say, only fools rush in.." Wait...OMG, these titles remind me of other songs too much!! This one is country-ish as well, sounds like a banjo is being
"plucked"..am I right about that, musicians out there? "take a sip from our loving cup" OMG!! That is a LB song!! LOL HOW COOL AND WIERD IS THAT!!?? If Danny were a country artist, he would be my fave male country artist, he's GREAT at the sound!! 80's country is my fave, btw...for anyone who cares. LOL

Silver Streams - "you could be my silver streams, blue green, colors flashing..." Oops, wrong song! LOL This version is different than the one John sent me on the last tape. This version is more country-ish to me. I like both, but I really like the other version. It sounds better with the music and his singing, they mesh better on the other version, to me, anyways. I love the, um...is that a trumpet or something in there...the solo, what the heck is that? I wasn't in band in HS, so I don't know my instruments, but the strings are pretty. lalalalalala....I love that!! There are some AWESOME sounds in this song...sounds like a flute (?), some kind of synthesizer maybe or something. No clue.

Best Girl in the World - Another Monkees-sounding song...with Davy Jones on lead...very vaudville-ian, so cute!! Shoo-bee-do-wah...LOL Love that piano sound...reminds me of the intro for Sara, just the sound, not the melody.

Life Machine - Great opening guitar riff!! I love Danny's lyrics, they are very moody...dark a bit, reminds me of England! I LOVE ENGLAND!! Yet, ANOTHER Monkees-sounding song. Danny's music sounds like the Eagles/Monkees, and I LOVE both groups, so that explains my new fandom.

Midnight in San Juan - Wicked instrumental!! You know, this could be the theme song for a TV show! LMAO!! It just has THAT sound to it.

Let It Be - Reggae Beatles...how....different. LOL I can "hear" No Doubt when I listen to this! Ya, mon! Not my fave, what a shock to those who know I don't care for the "Fab Four".

I Can't Let You Go - I love the "groove" of this song!! Love the bass too!! Too bad he didn't do this one while with the Mac with John...the MONSTER!!

Look Around You - Another Monkees-sounding song...he's on a roll!! LOL Love the guitar on this one, and that great bass!! I wonder if Danny ever listened to any Monkees songs, and I don't mean the ones that casual fans have heard, I mean songs NOBODY but die-hards (like me) know!!??

End up Crying - Another song that would have been good with FM...with CM and BW doing the back-up vocals! Who IS that on bgv's, I have no clue. John?? This is DK's sexiest-sounding song, IMO. Heck, CM could have written it.

Caroline - "time recedes with a fatal drop, dusty fury on the mountaintop.." DOH! Here we go again! LOL Spooky sounding, OMG, and he sounds JUST like A-Ha lead singer, Morten Harket on this one!! THAT is why I love this one, I love A-Ha!! The strings remind me of some song...but I cannot think of which one. Jars of Clay!!! YES!! It sounds like Frail by Jars of Clay!! How spooky!! I am diggin DK more and more, with every listen!! Download the song, Frail by Jars if you can, people, it is AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS!!

You - What a pretty song. So romantic...but I don't really care for the background vocalists jumping in there, that part sounds cheesy. Shut up, backgrounders...be in the background, like you're supposed to!! They sound like the freakin PIPS!! LOL

California - Damn backgrounders again!! SHUT UP!! Let Danny sing that part!! LOL I like the 70's-sounding strings, tho. Not a fave song, but it's okay. Hey, you can't hit a homer EVERYTIME! LOL

Falling in Love with You (earlier version) - LOVE the British accents of the dudes in the studio!! LOL He sounds like Peter Tork (Monkees again) on this song a tad, a VERY SMALL tad, because Peter doesn't have the greatest voice in the world. This take is just more rough-sounding than the album version. Nuttin major different...after only two listens anyway.

Odds & Ends (Alternate take) - Not as Dixie-landish sounding as the album version, but still keeps the Dixie-land piano in there. Rougher, of course.

Ram Jam City (earlier instrumental version) - DK reminds me of Lindsey on this one...because it's just an instrumental but he "hums" or whatever at the beginning...think...Teen Beat. Those sounds LB makes, but not that obvious. It's hard to explain any other way. LOL

BIG, HUGE, GIGANTIC thanks to John for making this happen!! You da man, John!!