Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mitchell Froom

Co-producer of the LB tracks on "This is 40" soundtrack and the LB tracks on FM EP, played the organ on "Turn It On" on "Out of the Cradle." Did not realize their relationship had such a long history (has it really been 20 years since OOTC was released?). That is all.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Isn't Jon Brion the producer on the EP?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brion

Jon Brion wrote the score for the This is 40 soundtrack and in some sources also give him credit for producing the entire soundtrack. Other sources credit LB and Mitchell Froom for co-producing the three LB songs on the soundtrack. I can find no reference to Brion working on the Fleetwood Mac EP.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Jon Brion wrote the score for the This is 40 soundtrack and in some sources also give him credit for producing the entire soundtrack. Other sources credit LB and Mitchell Froom for co-producing the three LB songs on the soundtrack. I can find no reference to Brion working on the Fleetwood Mac EP.
That's right. I knew he was involved somewhere.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Jon Brion was the sole producer for all This is 40 tracks, as far as i remember. certainly Lindsey's 3 tracks. (i'm too lazy to go find liner notes, but i have not read anywhere that Froom had anything to do with This is 40 tracks, where did you find that info lbfan?)

at the time Lindsey told that Brion, as a producer, wanted to send him back finalized tracks for his OK, and Lindsey said he didn't have to hear them that he trusted they were great.

Mitchell Froom co-produced with Lindsey 3 of the 4 Extended Play tracks. according to Lindsey he was also a producer on the either 5 that the band recorded last year.

i think Lindsey said something about Froom sending him back tracks with addition of some instruments or arrangements he didn't think of and that it sounded great and refreshing. so i assume that keyboards on Miss Fantasy are Froom, and possibly also that string arrangement on It Takes Time.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
played the organ on "Turn It On" on "Out of the Cradle." Did not realize their relationship had such a long history (has it really been 20 years since OOTC was released?). That is all.
yeah i think someone commented how Lindsey said he never met Froom in person before 2012, but he apparently did play on at least one of his OOTC tracks. not sure whether they actually did meet in person at the time and LB just forgot or not.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This is 40 Tracks

I probably got confused reading the reviews between "This is 40" and the FM EP as to Froom's production. Turns out that Ledgie Matt already posted this information:

Matt Lucas
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene
Why isn't Lindsey producing?
Good question.

It's always good to have someone else to bounce ideas off of, particularly, as is Lindsey's case, when the producer is also the artist.

Lindsey worked with Jon Brion on the recent THIS IS 40 tracks, he used Rob Cavallo and John Shanks as producers on SAY YOU WILL, and Richard Dashut was co-prodcuer on many Mac records and on OUT OF THE CRADLE.

So, it's not unusual at all that he's working with Froom on the new tracks, but Lindsey sounds as if he enjoyed working with him:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...e-97e3d1cb867d

How did you hook up with Mitchell Froom?

“I had never met Mitchell but spoke with him on the phone. I like the guy. I like some of his reference points that I was aware of. I also knew he was a very skillful string-arranger in case we wanted anything more outside the box like that. And to top it off he lives about five minutes from me. We did this whole thing in a very handcrafted way. I’d go into his house and gave him all my rough demos first, some of which were fleshed out, others just snippets of things hummed into my phone….we sort of agreed on what songs we’d do, worked on arrangements. We had the whole thing worked out before John and Mick showed up. Then it was pretty organic. It was interesting for him – the peculiarity of how we do things… for three weeks we came up with all that’s stuff. It’s all very pop. It hearkens back to the Fleetwood Mac classic feel. And John and Mick were just playing their asses off.”

Okay, so here's something interesting: Lindsey claims to have never met Froom, but Mitch is credited with playing organ on "Turn it On" from CRADLE.

Hmmm...?

matt
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
“I had never met Mitchell but spoke with him on the phone. I like the guy. I like some of his reference points that I was aware of. I also knew he was a very skillful string-arranger in case we wanted anything more outside the box like that. And to top it off he lives about five minutes from me. We did this whole thing in a very handcrafted way. I’d go into his house and gave him all my rough demos first, some of which were fleshed out, others just snippets of things hummed into my phone….we sort of agreed on what songs we’d do, worked on arrangements. We had the whole thing worked out before John and Mick showed up. Then it was pretty organic. It was interesting for him – the peculiarity of how we do things… for three weeks we came up with all that’s stuff. It’s all very pop. It hearkens back to the Fleetwood Mac classic feel. And John and Mick were just playing their asses off.”
ha, see i didn't remember that string comment, interesting!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Yeah but there are many musicians who now "work" together without even having met. People record entire duets without every being in the same room together. It's all just sent electronically back and forth. However.....we ARE talking about 1992 here, so this probably wasn't the exact case. But it still could've been done without them having worked physically together I think IF this is true, even back THEN?