Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
Do people who do not enjoy TOSOTM truly not like Rooms On Fire, Long Way to Go, Ooh My Love, Ghosts, Alice, Juliet, and Doing the Best I Can????
I've been nearly stoned by some around here. But I love that album. All those songs are great. I liked the direction of this album.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've been nearly stoned by some around here. But I love that album. All those songs are great. I liked the direction of this album.
Have rocks, will travel. And I know where ya live!!

And what "direction" was it traveling? Sewerward?

Cuz it's a turd. Just callin' a turd, a turd. Because it's a turd.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But I love that album. All those songs are great...
Just when you think you know someone.

I like a few of the songs from that album.
But I don't like the way they recorded her
voice.

Here was me back then. I visit my local
Record Bar. When I walk in the manager
starts playing Ms. Nicks. I proceed to buy
the vinyl, CD and cassette of the release.

That's the way it was for this Nicks' fan.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Just when you think you know someone.

I like a few of the songs from that album.
But I don't like the way they recorded her
voice.

Here was me back then. I visit my local
Record Bar. When I walk in the manager
starts playing Ms. Nicks. I proceed to buy
the vinyl, CD and cassette of the release.

That's the way it was for this Nicks' fan.
I had posters of her on the wall too. She was so cool to follow back then.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
Do people who do not enjoy TOSOTM truly not like Rooms On Fire, Long Way to Go, Ooh My Love, Ghosts, Alice, Juliet, and Doing the Best I Can????
Truly, yeah. This is just my opinion, it couldn't possibly be less of a favorite album for me. I just hate it. But other people love it, so what do I know?

You can't compare it to Rock a Little though, 'Mirror' had no rock to it at all. It was a synthy candy castle with Kenny G, zzzzzz.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Truly, yeah. This is just my opinion, it couldn't possibly be less of a favorite album for me. I just hate it. But other people love it, so what do I know?

You can't compare it to Rock a Little though, 'Mirror' had no rock to it at all. It was a synthy candy castle with Kenny G, zzzzzz.
Just wow. This board is amazing in that you learn every day how wonderfully different all of us humans are. We can listen to the same thing and have opposite opinions. To say that RAL had any "rock" is a joke. It is pure pre-programmed synth pop of the worst kind. Its drum machines rolling with programmed bass, etc. Rock stations kept Stevie nicks in heavy rotation with Bella Donna and Wild Heart even with the disco Stand Back. But RAL was just too much and many rock stations never really played very much from RAL. OSOTM is a back to roots Stevie Nicks. I just don't get if anyone is a Stevie fan how they could not like the album. Unlike RAL, Stevie wrote almost ALL of the songs. But more important the songs are autobiographical and some of her best writings. Probably her biggest rocker Long Way To Go is so good. Nothing similar on RAL at all. Real drums, real bass, real guitar, and a perfect song about scorned love and intense drug addiction and merged together the way only Stevie can.
When I drove home from the mall with my new cassette of OSOTM, all I kept thinking was WELCOME BACK STEVIE. Her voice was strong. Her writing was brilliant again and goodbye to empty pop songs and drum machines!!!!!!! OSOTM also has REAL piano something RAL never had (except for HAWAFY).
Stevie can be cryptic, scornful, and very honest in her writings. I never could get into the Stevie who is working the crisis hotline asking politely for someone to talk to her so she can cheer them up. That was not the Stevie that I knew. I mean really? You can break dance to Sister Honey. RAL was a totally different artist than Stevie Nicks. I do understand there are those who love this but to me it was just so annoying to see an artist so out of control that songs had to be brought in with 5 different producers to record songs that are written by B list song writers. I love the autobiographical Stevie because I somehow spiritually relate to her songs. And that my friend is why RAL is the only record from my Nicks/Mac/McVie collection that I never upgraded to CD. About 10 years ago, I was in a thrift store and I saw the RAL cassette for $1. I still had a stereo with a cassette player HA HA . I actually debated if I should buy it but passed.
Having said all that.... are there bad songs on OSOTM? Yes of course but there are far more many of them on RAL. Are there good songs on RAL? Yes but its frustrating because songs like I Cant Wait, I Sing for things, The Nightmare, and No Spoken word had huge potential but got lost in mid 80s synth pop. However there is no comparison in album quality IMHO. No comparison at all. While OSTOM is a good album its far from bad. Not only do I think RAL is Stevie's worst album but probably one of the worst albums of the entire 80s decade. In some ways I suppose RAL is like Red Rocks. Its so bad, its good?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-24-2017 at 08:06 AM..
Old 09-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought similar to others re: Family Man -- that "am what i am, what i am, what i am" descension -- definitely Lindsey doing some "Stevie twisting" on his own vocals, and he did it in a 'cards on the table' way - showed the listener how it's his voice at first and then it gets gradually altered
I think it is Stevie's voice in the "Am what I am" part in "Family Man." You can especially hear that it's her when listening to the dance remix version of the song.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I had posters of her on the wall too. She was so cool to follow back then.
I still have the HBO poster up.
Forever cool I guess.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I still have the HBO poster up.
Forever cool I guess.
There was a mystical quality to FMac. And Bella Donna and Wild Heart extended that quality.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Rock stations kept Stevie nicks in heavy rotation with Bella Donna and Wild Heart even with the disco Stand Back. But RAL was just too much and many rock stations never really played very much from RAL.
Oh, YES, rock stations DID really play much from RAL. "Talk to me" hit #1 on Billboard's top AOR rock charts. "I Can't Wait," charted at #6 on Billboard's top AOR rock charts. "No Spoken Word" also charted on the AOR charts. KLOS, the number one AOR rock station in Los Angeles at that time, I remember, played these songs in heavy rotation for quite a while. I also remember hearing "Imperial Hotel" quite a bit on KLOS as well.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Oh, YES, rock stations DID really play much from RAL. "Talk to me" hit #1 on Billboard's top AOR rock charts. "I Can't Wait," charted at #6 on Billboard's top AOR rock charts. "No Spoken Word" also charted on the AOR charts. KLOS, the number one AOR rock station in Los Angeles at that time, I remember, played these songs in heavy rotation for quite a while. I also remember hearing "Imperial Hotel" quite a bit on KLOS as well.
It didn't last as long as BD or WH... but Stevie was so big back then, she was played a lot at this time. I remember KMET interviewing her on Jim Ladd quite a bit. She was played a lot in LA.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It didn't last as long as BD or WH... but Stevie was so big back then, she was played a lot at this time. I remember KMET interviewing her on Jim Ladd quite a bit. She was played a lot in LA.
RAL didn't sell as many copies as BD or WH, but in terms of radio play, it did just as well as WH. In fact, "Talk to me" charted higher than "Stand Back" on both the hot 100, and the rock chart.
Her presence on rock radio started declining after TOSOTM.
In 1989, "Rooms on fire" peaked at #16 on the Hot 100(pop) chart, but hit #1 on the Rock chart.
"Long way to go" peaked at #11 on the rock chart.
Even though TOSOTM peaked at #10, it dropped off the album charts rather quickly and it only sold Gold status(500,000 copies) initially, and took a few years to be certified platinum, while RAL peaked at #12, it was certified platinum in it's first 4 weeks, and stayed in the top 20 for 13 weeks, despite peaking at #12. It also finished as #44 on the year end chart, while OSOTM finished at #89 for the yearly sales.
The lack of radio play after "Rooms on fire" and "Long way to go," caused sales to drop dramatically.
When "Timespace" was released in 1991, the lead single "Sometimes(it's a bitch)" stalled at #56 on the Hot 100, but still charted at #7 on the rock charts.

Last edited by TheWildHeart67; 09-25-2017 at 05:37 PM..
Old 09-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
RAL didn't sell as many copies as BD or WH, but in terms of radio play, it did just as well as WH. In fact, "Talk to me" charted higher than "Stand Back" on both the hot 100, and the rock chart.
In 1989, "Rooms on fire" peaked at #16 on the Hot 100(pop) chart, but hit #1 on the Rock chart.
Even though TOSOTM peaked at #10, it dropped off the album charts rather quickly and it only sold Gold status(500,000 copies) initially, and took a few years to be certified platinum, while RAL peaked at #12, it was certified platinum in it's first 4 weeks, and stayed in the top 20 for 13 weeks, despite peaking at #12. It also finished as #44 on the year end chart, while OSOTM finished at #89 for the yearly sales.
The lack of radio play after "Rooms on fire" and "Long way to go," caused sales to drop dramatically.
When "Timespace" was released in 1991, the lead single "Sometimes(it's a bitch)" stalled at #56 on the Hot 100, but still charted at #7 on the rock charts.
I'm agreeing with you. I just felt like for example WH lasted longer. Stand Back.. then If Anyone Falls, then Nightbird... Three singles that had pretty long runs.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the info, wildheart67!

Rooms on Fire should have charted higher... such a great and underrated song.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the info, wildheart67!

Rooms on Fire should have charted higher... such a great and underrated song.
Ya, "Rooms on fire" should have hit the top ten on the Hot 100. It was a terrific song. At least it hit #1 on the Rock chart