Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ...Cruel Summer for Touring Musicians

http://news.bostonherald.com/enterta...&position=also

Economy, megamerger might mean cruel summer for touring musicians

By Jed Gottlieb | Thursday, February 19, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Music News

Boston’s Putnam Investments cut 260 jobs last week. That’s about one job for every dollar it will cost you for a VIP general admission ticket to see Britney Spears on March 16 at TD Banknorth Garden.

Around the Hub and across the nation, companies are laying off thousands while concert ticket prices remain sky-high. Including fees, entrance to Bruce Springsteen’s April gigs at the Garden costs between $78.75 and $109.40; seats at Fleetwood Mac’s March show at the Garden cost $61.85 to $164.10. Even the Pogues are charging $60, including fees, to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at the House of Blues.

It’s a ton of cash to shell out, what with rising unemployment, escalating home foreclosures and a $1.1 billion state budget shortfall. Something’s got to give.

“The market will adjust and some artists’ tours are going to completely fall on their faces,” said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the concert industry magazine Pollstar. “2008 was pretty good for the concert business. But most of the tickets sold during the fourth quarter of last year and the first quartet of this year were sold before the financial meltdown. The real test will come when they put the summer shows on sale.”

Warped Tour founder Kevin Lyman is currently on the road with newer project Taste of Chaos, which stops at the Worcester Palladium on Feb. 27. He’s already seeing the impact of a down economy.

“I have one of cheapest tours out there right now and I’m hurting a little bit,” Lyman said. “I talk to the kids outside and people at the bar and everyone is broke.”

It isn’t just traveling roadshows that are adjusting to hard times. Florida’s Langerado Festival was canceled because of slow ticket sales. Other festivals, including Coachella, Bonnaroo and Stagecoach, have gone the Sears route by selling tickets on layaway.

But there’s little indication of falling ticket prices for such marquee acts as Springsteen and Spears.

Live Nation, New England’s and the world’s largest concert promoter, has announced plans to merge with Ticketmaster. According to an analysis by paid Content.org, Live Nation will have to hike ticket prices or fees by an average of $10 to make the deal worthwhile.

The proposed merger is meeting strong opposition - U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) slammed the prospective deal as giving “a giant, new entity unrivaled power over concertgoers and the prices they pay to see their favorite artists and bands.”

Barry Diller, the chairman of the proposed new company, countered that Live Nation and Ticketmaster don’t set prices, artists do - which Bongiovanni and Lyman confirm.

“It’s artists that are going to need to make the big adjustment in what they demand if they want to sell tickets and fill venues,” Lyman said.

Still, these are tough times for music fans when even the good news is grim: the $10 rise in ticket prices isn’t as high as expected. If there is a bright spot, Lyman sees the economic downturn as a great time for new bands to take a bite out of the Springsteen and Spears demographics by offering cheap rock ’n’ roll alternatives.

“If you’re a young kid in a band,” he said, “what you’ve got be asking yourself is, ‘Is it better to be broke on the road in a van or broke on your parents’ couch?’ ”
Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Junior Ledgie

I'm very anxious to see how full the arena is in St. Paul on March 3 for the FM show. I have a feeling it will be quite empty.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicrocker View Post
I'm very anxious to see how full the arena is in St. Paul on March 3 for the FM show. I have a feeling it will be quite empty.

I think a lot of venues will be quite empty. There's over 1300 (!!!) sets of Fleetwood Mac tickets on sale on eBay and still more on broker sites. Despite this, Mick wants to charge fans $200.00 to just shake his hand. At this point the entire band might consider shaking hands of anyone attending the shows whether or not they bought "I Love All Access" tickets. I don't recall ever seeing so many seats being available like this.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Registered

The tour is tanking. This is no secret.

They will stagger and make it thru May, don't worry... although Stevie accordingly will be rendered that much less fabulous as a result
Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my I am so pissed, I was bidding on the Fleetwood Mac Meet n Greet With Mick and VIP tickets for the Hilltop Nursery school ebay charity auction and I lost by $5.00. I dont have much cash since I lost my job in November but thought it would be cool to do this since I put up some stuff on ebay for sale to help pay for the tickets. I was at the bar and was watching the auction on my cell phone and saw that I was losing within 2 minutes to go so I signed in and then my cell phone cut out and by the time I logged back in it was over. I swear sometimes I have the worst of luck. I wanted to meet Mick and tell him how much we need a new cd and a bunch of other stuff. Oh well
Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post

They will stagger and make it thru May, don't worry... although Stevie accordingly will be rendered that much less fabulous as a result
always the pessimist
Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
always the pessimist
When a charity auction is offering a pair of prime (first 25 rows) tickets AND a meet & greet with Mick to a series of shows, and can barely manage to get bids matching face value for the the tickets for half of them... and said shows are less than 15-30 days away...
Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

you know it sounds so dumb but after the last 6 months that i have had all i wanted was to win this vip concert experience. I havent been able to sleep much lately so I figured at trip to the bar would help me sleep but what are you gonna do. I so hope the person that won appreciates the tickets as much as I would have. I will keep checking TM this week and hope for 1st or 2nd row. I just want to play Lindsey's guitar and I will die a happy person,LOL!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, I would be VERY suprised if this trend continues if they do any more shows here in the US on this tour after San Diego then.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

These guys should have planned some TV spots. And I am talking dayime television. People don't know they are going back out again. I have acquaintances in Pittsburgh, West Palm Beach and Seattle who had no clue they will be touring.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You don't think they'll bring in at least 10,000 a night?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I think a lot of venues will be quite empty. There's over 1300 (!!!) sets of Fleetwood Mac tickets on sale on eBay and still more on broker sites. Despite this, Mick wants to charge fans $200.00 to just shake his hand. At this point the entire band might consider shaking hands of anyone attending the shows whether or not they bought "I Love All Access" tickets. I don't recall ever seeing so many seats being available like this.
$200!!! I'd want to be on the damn stage with them for that.

Gail
Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Ledgie

Look at the OUTRAGEOUS prices the scalpers are trying to get on ebay
http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/__fl...Q_sopZ3QQ_scZ1
I have never seen anything like this, with the times as hard as they are right now, are they out of their minds?!

Last edited by crystal baller; 02-20-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: spelling ugh!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal baller View Post
Look at the OUTRAGEOUS prices the scalpers are trying to get on ebay
http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/__fl...Q_sopZ3QQ_scZ1
I have never seen anything like this, with the times as hard as they are right now, are they out of there minds?!
That's just plain ridiculous.... moreso for the idiot thats considering buying (if any).
Old 02-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
That's just plain ridiculous.... moreso for the idiot thats considering buying (if any).
The only thing I can think of, is that they're targeting the filthy rich, in hopes that someone is stupid enough to pay those inflated prices.