The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

I miss her voice but I don't miss her songs.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post

Hahaha to the bracketed. Because yeah, now THAT'S what one could call a pipedream.
I wouldn't. They aren't going to drop Songbird, but the chances that they will put a Tusk song that hasn't yet been performed live in the set from Christine is very high I'd think.

Michele
Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's interesting to read all of these different posts exhibiting different opinions. For me, this is Fleetwood Mac coming back. I am fortunate enough to have seen them 3 times since 2003: the first two with no Christine, and the third with her on just one song. At all times at the first two concerts in '03 and '09, I felt that there was too much of a lurch between Stevie's songs and Lindsey's songs, and none of that 'happy middle' which Christine provided. For me, that lurch made the concerts less of an enjoyable experience. When she came to London last year, it was clear from just one song what a difference she makes - it was ineffable.

On a purely selfish note, I really hope that they play more TITN material now that she is back. I want to hear Little Lies again, and I would love to hear Isn't It Midnight. I am not a particular fan of the Tusk songs, so I don't care to hear any more material from that album than I have already heard. Different strokes, and all that...
Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great news! My opinion of 'Say You Will' and the post-Christine FM is that they were good without her ... but with her they were transcendently fabulous.

My own personal pipedream is that they would eliminate the backing vocalists and musicians and perform live on stage, just the five of them. Those backing vocalists and musicians make the live show much too polished. I want to hear it if someone makes a mistake or if a harmony isn't exactly right. Live rock 'n' roll is supposed to be raw around the edges. But I have no realistic expectation of this actually happening.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
Oh my god. Christine! I've missed her voice so much! I can't WAIT to feel and hear the completeness when they come back on tour!
Oh sh*t. Another tour? With bonus Christine? Better start pinching pennies. Check under the couch cushions too.
But CHRISTINE!
But no solo Lindsey.

my feelings exactly. All of what you said.

Wonder whether all people lamenting that current reincarnation is stale have seen them in concert in 2013? Because they were tight and rocking, far from stale.

That said,i was one of the lucky people who got to see them a lot last year- and so I've seen enough of the 4 in 2013, and would not go see them again in 2014 if it was the same configuration. If Christine is back, I definitely want to experience the version of the greatest hits performed by the 5. Plus I think we will actually get Lindsey solo back muchfaster if Christine tours with them this summer than if it's still just the 4 in the summer and then they follow that with a full fledged return of the 5.

As for the ticket prices, I don't see them commanding the rolling stones prices, far from it, esp not in the US or continental Europe. UK may be a very different story. But that's talking about face. Mick's tickets may be a very different story. During 2013 he charged around $400, so that was doable especially since at some venues the face was well over $200. During Unleashed I've heard that he charged $ 1200 or so for basically the same thing. That's astronomical.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 01-13-2014 at 10:17 AM..
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...d-mac-20140113
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimelongtime View Post
I miss her voice but I don't miss her songs.
I can agree with this. If we do have to have another FM tour rather than solo work, I'd rather hear Lindsey/Stevie/Christine than just Lindsey/Stevie/backup singers. I hope this means they lose the backup singers, because they are always one of my least favorite parts of a current FM show. Their voices are fine, they just don't sound like Fleetwood Mac to me.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
I can agree with this. If we do have to have another FM tour rather than solo work, I'd rather hear Lindsey/Stevie/Christine than just Lindsey/Stevie/backup singers. I hope this means they lose the backup singers, because they are always one of my least favorite parts of a current FM show. Their voices are fine, they just don't sound like Fleetwood Mac to me.
They won't lose the backup singers.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Not a chance in hell...
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Their presence in the Mac show used to bother me, but based on the videos of 2013 I've seen on YouTube, not anymore. I don't think the Nicks and Buckingham voices have held up very well, and the backup vocalists were the only singers carrying a lot of the melodies, like the Go Your Own Way chorus.

I recently rented the Blu-ray of Lindsey's solo concert, and I was super-pleased with the vocalizing he and his backups created. They sounded marvelous.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Their presence in the Mac show used to bother me, but based on the videos of 2013 I've seen on YouTube, not anymore. I don't think the Nicks and Buckingham voices have held up very well, and the backup vocalists were the only singers carrying a lot of the melodies, like the Go Your Own Way chorus.

I recently rented the Blu-ray of Lindsey's solo concert, and I was super-pleased with the vocalizing he and his backups created. They sounded marvelous.
Don't Neale & Brett sing backup in FM shows too?

Edit: Stevie sounded 100% this tour than on Unleashed.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
my feelings exactly. All of what you said.

Wonder whether all people lamenting that current reincarnation is stale have seen them in concert in 2013? Because they were tight and rocking, far from stale.

That said,i was one of the lucky people who got to see them a lot last year- and so I've seen enough of the 4 in 2013, and would not go see them again in 2014 if it was the same configuration. If Christine is back, I definitely want to experience the version of the greatest hits performed by the 5. Plus I think we will actually get Lindsey solo back muchfaster if Christine tours with them this summer than if it's still just the 4 in the summer and then they follow that with a full fledged return of the 5.
If Christine tours this summer, I think it would just be for band sea legs and that a full fledged return of the 5 would still happen later. I don't think the Mac is going to finish up any faster whether she appears this summer or later. I'd take this summer as a season preview. But I guess it depends on what their schedule is this summer. I would expect for it to be very light. If it's heavy, then I see your point.

Michele
Old 01-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Around here, I'm sure there are plenty.

Still, that's makes it all the more amazing to me. The legendary line-up of Fleetwood Mac was Mick, John, Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey. If you've never had the chance to see THAT, why would you NOT want to, or how could you NOT be excited about that. The quintet is the legend, NOT the quartet. The quartet was a watered down, incomplete version of the quintet.
Yup! And, that reinforces my bitch about conversations/threads about the current lineup being in the Rumours section of The Ledge. Without Christine, it's NOT the Rumours crew. I don't care HOW you try to justify it, you're flat-out WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I agree. On the other hand, I don't want to see Peter Green, so ...

Michele
{sigh}

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I always wanted to see Bob Welch/McVie led band.
Saw them 2x's in '74...my first two Fleetwood Mac concerts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I saw him in 1998, and I'm good. If Peter Green still had an inkling of that fire, I'd be all for it.

Actually, that only strengthens the case for Christine’s return. They all still have it. They’re all well and they can still do it well.
Never thought that Peter DIDN'T "have that fire"...he just had a different vision of how he wanted to play in '98 than he did in '70. I don't think there's any guitarist who has played the same way, with the same "fire", after 28 years.

Christine's coming back for one reason...it's Fleetwood Mac's Grande Finale tour. It's been pretty obvious that Fleetwood Mac hasn't been Fleetwood Mac since 1998. Mick wasn't going to let Fleetwood Mac sail into the sunset being Stevie & Lindsey's feeble attempt at being Buckingham Nicks again under an assumed (and more well-known) name.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as staleness goes, it's all relative. I enjoyed the Unleashed tour immensely. I enjoyed this Live 2013 tour better by comparison, but I don't think Unleashed was bad or that it was a lot different than the SYW tour. I found them to be equal. Yet, after the fact, Stevie expressed ennui during Unleashed and a lot of fans now say it was dull too. I hear that complaint now, but I did not hear it so much at the time.

Stale is what you're comparing it to.

Even though I have enjoyed FM's last three tours, there are some songs that definitely are stale to my ears. I realized that The Chain was weak, but I didn't quite see (hear) how much so until I saw Lindsey perform it with Little Big Town and I thought, "THAT is what has been missing." When the back up singers did such a sublime job on Beautiful Child, layering vocals with Lindsey and Stevie, it just made me realize how rare it was for them to enhance a song. When with Christine there the reverse was true. Most songs benefitted from beautiful harmonies, not just the occasional song. The Rhiannon choruses used to be as ethereal as Beautiful Child, but they no longer are.

Now, that they're all older, they probably won't sound as good together as they used to anyway, but I have hopes.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 01-13-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Stevie & Lindsey's feeble attempt at being Buckingham Nicks again under an assumed (and more well-known) name.
Right. Buckingham Nicks doing Fleetwood Mac songs is still not exactly Buckingham Nicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Now, that they're all older, they probably won't sound as good together as they used to anyway, but I have hopes.
Exactly. Everyone's voice has changed, including Christine's. Holding out hope for the best though.