The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What's your fav. version of "I'm So Afraid"???
White Album Tour version 12 30.77%
Rumours Tour version 1 2.56%
Tusk Tour version 5 12.82%
Mirage Tour version 1 2.56%
Out Of The Cradle version 2 5.13%
Dance Tour version 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2002, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I'm So Afraid: 1975-1997 versions

Hey everyone!

Just wondering what your favourite version of this Buckingham-masterpiece is?

For me, it's gotta be the Dance version. His voice had matured in something which suited the song perfectly, and the guitar-solo sound was just brilliant!

I reckon it's literally got better and better over the years: my second favourite is the Mirage tour version - very cool! And after that I like the slow and dark Tusk tour version...etc etc etc

Only exception is the OOTC version...not sure what I think of it..it's ok, but something's missing...oh yea..the rest of the band!

Old 06-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My thoughts on the Dance version. Thought it was good, of course. But it does have some of the same drawbacks of the rest of the show. First, the tempo of most of the songs was a hair slower then recorded versions and previous live takes (especially GYOW). Secondly, in my opinion, the vocal "maturing" of Lindsey AND Stevie have negative overall effects to the songs and the live performances. And last, he seems to be holding back on the solo. For comparison, check out the version from the Double Live album...the solo is so much faster and intense....

I dunno...just my opinion...I still love it all.

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 06-27-2002, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The Dance version

The Dance version for me.

Lindsey's voice really has grown into this song over the years and his depth of voice really was great on the Dance version. This is a song I think Lindsey really cares about, more personal than other Mac songs and it shows through in his voice.

I also love some of the Tusk tour versions as well (know what I mean seteca?)
Old 06-27-2002, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Dance version is my favorite of them all.

Michelle

~long live the queen... under the skin~
Old 06-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default For me, it's a tie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
Just wondering what your favourite version of this Buckingham-masterpiece is?
Two performances of it that I saw years ago still rank as my two favorites. One was the "I'm So Afraid" at the second Hollywood Bowl concert in the fall 1980, which was lumbering & thundering like Yahweh atop Mt. Sinai; & the other "I'm So Afraid" was at an Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre show on the Mirage tour, which was such a display of guitar pyrotechnics & emotional wallop that the sea of people rose up in unison after he finished for an ovation (I'd never seen Mr. Lindsey get one of those before). Two inspired performances where everything came together exactly right.

I wonder whether he has his own favorites.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Great poll!

I've set about getting every live MP3 of this song I could find, and while I love them all, my favorites are from the White Album tour. He was so into it, kept on injecting sprited ad libs like "Days when the rain and the sun are gone Oohho (agonizing cry) Black as night! Agony's torn at my heart too long! OOH! (another agonized cry) So afraid, slip and I fall and I dieeeeeee!!!!!"

And then there's Mick's drumming. It's so much more energetic. He does a lot more building beats into lines like "Days when the rain and the sun are gone" and "agony's torn at my heart too long" etc. Like little dramatic introductory drum rolls to Lindsey's big lines. lol This is also true at the end.

(Side note: There's a version of "Blue Letter" from Largo during that tour where Mick drums so energetically at the end it's unbelievable!)

But the thing that I REALLY like about the white album tour's ISOs is that he goes high about 20 sec. before finishing (after the climax, he goes low, then the drums start going faster and he pops up again for a "NAIRNAIRNAIRNAIRNAIRNAIRNIAR" before he goes back low to do the last measures that wind it up). I ADORE that trick! It just seems to give it that extra kick, like "You think I'm winding down but before I go I'm gonna give you once last thrill!"

In fact, throughout the solo, he goes higher more often, but it's at the end that I really love it.

All these combined give it such an overall added exuberance - and that high part at the end that little bit of defiance - that make it my favorite. However, I think that very exuberance might have been why Lindsey changed it. After all, this is a dark song.....but dang, that rocked SOOO hard!

But honestly, as I said before, I love EVERY version of the song, the only thing that changes is the degree of adoration!

Old 06-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Dance version... I totally agree with the sentiment that Lindsey has grown into the song... it's like it's gone to a whole different level than what it started out as. And there is just so much feeling in it. Stevie's backing vocals contribute a lot to it too... that harmony sends shivers down my spine.

Laura.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So true about the harmony when Stevie sings backup on this song...Another great example are some of the early live shows when Stevie still sang backup on it instead of Christine. (One that sticks out in my mind is the Rosebud video) When thier voices were in thier prime they mixed so well together.....

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 06-28-2002, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up GREATNESS SETECA!!!

Well, I'm sure you all know, ISA IS my fave FM song...and I chose the Dance version, but the Live 1980 version is a close 2nd, I crank that sucker WAY UP when I can and just drink it in!! I love EVERY SINGLE version of it, even the White Album subdued version, which is JUST COOKING when it fades out. BUMMER! I also LOVE the Mirage video version! HECK, is there a BAD version of ISA floating out there...MORE THAN LIKELY..NOT! It's LINDSEY'S "SONG" like Rhiannon is Stevie's "song" and Songbird is Christine's "song", IMO. I could go on and on about how much I love ISA...the lyrics are dark and sad, but lift me up, ironically. I can "feel his pain", every human being can, probably, we've all had pain, heartache, sadness, loss, grief, etc. For me, the line "I never change, I never will" just fits me. He wrote a heck of a song.....LINDSEY RULES!!

P.S. I truly believe ISA is one of the first "alternative" songs, I mean, that's what Linkin Park sounds like, to me, they sing about pain because life ain't all about candy and roses.

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 06-28-2002 at 09:57 PM..
Old 06-28-2002, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: GREATNESS SETECA!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
.....I truly believe ISA is one of the first "alternative" songs, I mean, that's what Linkin Park sounds like, to me, they sing about pain because life ain't all about candy and roses....
I totally TOTALLY agree with you on that !!! And it's so weird that the example you used is Linkin Park because it's what I've been trying to convince my Linkin Park-obsessed friend for ages: that it's dark and angry songs like "I'm So Afraid" that are the root of this "dark and heavy and alternative" Linkin Park etc etc etc etc music that we hear today.

(But he doesn't "understand how Fleetwood Mac and Linkin' Park sound the same?"..........AGGGHH!! )

Old 06-28-2002, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Great minds...

...think alike, ya know! Yep, exactly! You want me to go on about how things go in "cycles"? LMAO! They DO, FOR REAL!! Lindsey DOES know what he's talking about!

I love Linkin Park's CD, very different, and I listen to it and read the lyrics and go, dang, ISA sounds dark like that! Everyone gets down on LP for being "whiney white kids who don't have anything to complain about", but we ALL have trials and tribulations...DEAL!
Old 06-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Ledgie

Lightbulb White tour all the way!

The way it was on the White album tour was definitely the best... Although my personal favorite version of this song is from Irvine Meadows in the Dance tour, I think overall the White album tour was the best. It really hammered hard, so to speak, and I really like the song better with his voice higher, cause you can feel his pain more while he sings it all... But maybe I'm just nuts.

However, I do see how you all feel that his voice has grown into it now, but I feel like the guitar parts at the end are weaker now. He seems to just go play the same thing over and over now, as opposed to back when, it was always somewhat different and unique, truly showing what a musical magician he IS.

Okay, I'm done rambling now...

Adam R.
Old 06-29-2002, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Great minds...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
......You want me to go on about how things go in "cycles"? LMAO! They DO, FOR REAL!! Lindsey DOES know what he's talking about!.....
wooo!!! more weirdness!! that's the ONE thing my friend (the same one) and I talk about A LOT!!! How life really DOES go in cycles and we have countless pieces of personal evidence to prove it!!! He doesn't think/know much of Lindsey but it's the one thing we totally agree on!!!

"Isn't that weird???"

Old 06-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Cycles

Yes life has lots of big and small cycles,

For instance, I get paid, four weeks later I'm broke and then I get paid again, then four weeks later... You get my drift.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Cycles

Quote:
Originally posted by madformac
Yes life has lots of big and small cycles,

For instance, I get paid, four weeks later I'm broke and then I get paid again, then four weeks later... You get my drift.
lol.....!!

(well, if a certain somebody keeps his promise, in four weeks time you'll feel more broke than you ever have!!)