Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
did you see that LBT has been howling GYOW at shows? Sounds like crap! I hope CU doesn't decide to do the same.
No. Is it on YouTube? I can see why this song would be picked for obvious reasons but it just doesn't excite me.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaywomen View Post
Thank you Vanessa! I can't wait to hear it again. I think it's been 8 years since I've heard that interview!

Jackie
Here you go:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wmykjs

Old 09-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
No. Is it on YouTube? I can see why this song would be picked for obvious reasons but it just doesn't excite me.
I agree, but I still think its kind of cool that he is playing a show with so many big name artists that are popular now.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
...and it's the greatest song of all time!
haha...indeed. Maybe they will a semi-country version like Alison Krauss did with John Waite's "Missing You"...
Old 09-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I don't like it without Lindsey.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Booooooooooooring! C'mon Lindsey you could have come up with something better than this.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Nice. Thanks for the info. I know Linds fans like to snobulate about, and discussinate ad geniusism, but - I'm glad he's doing the show, and sometimes musicians just sing all around and do shows, and it's fine. I think it's fun to bring him in with modern people - he'll shine either way. I mean, he could easily show up C. Underwood, but also the song could sound great anyways. It's just one of those event show thingies where they ask a bunch of famous musicians, and it kind of gets thrown together to please everyone. There's still talent gathered there - and probably everyone involved is doing one of their best known songs. Yes, we've heard GYOW a million times, but it is still brill, and I think some people will hear it in this case who might not have considered it much before. And that is my hope, not that Lindsey snobs out and doesn't want to play in front of people, but that he plays a lot, and if it takes a well worn gem for people to gravitate to his genius, find out who he is - then fantabulous.

Especially considering he toured the sh*t out of his new album. I mean, being a musician is a job, but it's also fun, and I'd hate to limit one of my favorite musicians (Linds) by trying to pretend I have the best idea for what he should do at certain times. Or trying to pretend he is too good to play his music around. Heck, if we were lucky, Lindsey would always be playing his music around. And has been recently. And so I say that with the knowledge that we already know he's not a huge sellout. And sometimes it's good to bust out GYOW. It's not like that Carrie girl is a bad singer. Does every move he makes have to be deep and complicated? Do you hold yourselves to that same standard? And most of us aren't super genius musicians, so how are we to know?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 09-04-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Lindsey, being the gentleman that he is, probably asked Carrie what she would like to do.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post

Thank you SO much Vanessa!!!

Jackie
Old 09-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't wait!! I love GYOW!!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Nice. Thanks for the info. I know Linds fans like to snobulate about, and discussinate ad geniusism, but - I'm glad he's doing the show, and sometimes musicians just sing all around and do shows, and it's fine. I think it's fun to bring him in with modern people - he'll shine either way. I mean, he could easily show up C. Underwood, but also the song could sound great anyways.
Yeah I agree, but a great deal of the less than enthusiastic perspective that people like Gerald have on stuff like this seems to originate with Lindsey himself. As far back as the Rumours tour, Lindsey was telling the press how boring such a long tour was because you had to play You Make Loving Fun or Dreams every night for a year, & that he vastly preferred recording studio work, where he could always work on something new. The "staying fresh" soundbite in Lindsey's speech & thinking goes a lot further back than the 1997 reunion. It's a thirty-year-old motive in his mindset. HE'S the one who started talking about how pointless & bland it was to play the old hits every year, & how it stymied growth in an artist. That never occurred to the other guys in Fleetwood Mac. That was Lindsey's thinking.

Remember one of the interviews he gave during the 1997 tour in which he complained that standing onstage playing Rhiannon made him forget what year it was? I actually thought when I read that: "Well what about Go Your Own Way & I'm So Afraid? Your own material is the same old hit material as the stuff you feel weird playing today."

In the early 1980s, he didn't even want to tour solo until he felt he had enough material to be able to "make a statement" that was different enough from the typical Fleetwood Mac show. Even with two solo albums completed in 1984, he didn't tour. However bogus that view of his was, he really believed it & stuck to it by not doing any live work.

I think the point is that Lindsey has changed a lot of these opinions he used to have. I think the 1981 Lindsey Buckingham would have looked at the plans for the Say You Will tour with something like shock at the idea of gearing the whole thing to big arenas filled with people wanting to hear Dreams again. But by 2003 or whenever that tour was, he was of a different mind. He has made many recent comments about how a Fleetwood Mac show "needs" to include many of the old hits & the old approaches -- "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown," he seems to be saying.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Thanks for this! I'd play it now, but I'm at work and probably shouldn't even be posting. But what the heck! Lindsey's gonna be on TV! I get excited.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Remember one of the interviews he gave during the 1997 tour in which he complained that standing onstage playing Rhiannon made him forget what year it was? I actually thought when I read that: "Well what about Go Your Own Way & I'm So Afraid? Your own material is the same old hit material as the stuff you feel weird playing today."
I remember that article/interview very well... but I didn't take it as a complaint. It was a response to a question of nostalgia, and he said, something like, yeah definitely, i get out there and get sucked back into the song and think, "oh ****, what year is this" , and there was a [laugh] around that point. I really just didn't take what he said with the same tone that you did. It didn't seem to me that he was saying he didn't want to play it or that he felt weird playing it or whatever.