Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Buckingham's Tusk

I was reading an article written back in '81 about Lindsey. In it, they got to talking about Tusk and Lindsey said that if you took all of his songs and had an album of just those, it would at least sound much more cohesive. I never thought of such an idea, so I put them all in an iTunes playlist and listened through. Fantastic. With maybe two more songs, it could have well been a groundbreaking artistic album. Thats not to say Tusk would have been better this way, just that it would have been more cohesive an effort. I'm still working on the ordering of it, trying to make it sound like its own album.

I highly reccomend you all try it!! What would your order be??

Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I'm a mac fan, so I wouldn't choose a list of any member's songs to "create" a "solo" album.

Maybe groundbreaking, but not necessarily "better". IMHO, I guess the magic of Fleetwood Mac, or one of its magics, was that they were not enough cohesive. and that made them so great!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it is better... and I listen to it this way almost every time. Just the Lindsey songs.. not in any different order. I just skip the Chris and Stevie stuff. It's funny how I can grow tired of their works, but not Lindsey's. The exceptions to that would be Think About Me and Angel.. but they get the skip more often than not, too.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that Lindsey's Tusk songs like they could be a solo album of their own. While I love the songs themselves and do find myself listening to Lindsey's Tusk songs more than the rest of the album, I've never really loved how separated they are from the rest of the album. It just seems like there could have been a better balance between Lindsey experimenting and doing his own thing and still have his songs fit more cohesively with the rest of the band. I've always respected Lindsey's nature as a songwriter and producer and I know that the risk he took on this album is what makes it so unique and a lot of that is even why I love it. Still, HE's so obviously present on at least a few of Stevie and Christine's songs on the album, "Angel", "Beautiful Child", "Think About Me" that those songs would sound entirely different without his voice and it's weird to think of what Chris and Stevie could have added, at least vocally, to Lindsey's songs that we ended up loving for how they were ultimately produced on the album.

Still, if Tusk WERE to be a solo album, it'd have to end with "That's Enough for Me"!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Well I definitely agree that Tusk is better with Stevie and Chris's work on it too, no doubt about that. I think thats really the bottom line allure of Tusk is the three very different styles you get in it. Sisters vs. Think About Me vs. The Ledge? It almost sounds like three groups. I've always thought that each of the three songwriters could have each had one really spectacular, legendary album from their best Mac work. But the fact that they all split the albums allowed the band to span the span of time that it has.