User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I understand your frustration but if this turns out to be the last Fleetwood Mac Tour you just might wish that you had went. It really is a very good live show, sequenced perfectly. And just watching Lindsey's energy and enthusiasum(did I spell that right??) is amazing.
I'm so glad I went. I wasn't even born until after TITN came out, so yeah..I missed their heyday. I wish I could've seen them during their tours for Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, etc....
but hey, what can you do? Nothing. That is why I didn't care that I had to pay outrageous $$$ to see them play their greatest hits. It might have been my first and last chance to see them, who knows if they'll be back on the road again?? They aren't exactly spring chickens anymore.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
The point is if you want to see them and are short of cash, you can and any argument to the contrary (which is not your argument above) is bogus.
I don't even think that anyone who's posted in this thread has made THAT complaint. It's more about how much higher FM's tickets are relative to other bands touring right now. I think some of us would rather choose to see some other artists, and spend, let's say under $100, and get decent seats.

Quote:
On edit - I have to wonder if anyone here would actually volunteer to work for less than they thought they were worth.
Funny you should say this. I KNOW a LOT of excellent employees right now who are working for less money and benefits at their jobs because businesses are struggling to survive. It wasn't voluntary though!

Quote:
So, IMO it is ridiculous to fault FM for asking what the market says the price should be
If they can get it, more power to them. We have every right to question why, given the financial burdens most of us are feeling right now, and the fact that these prices are on the high end of the asking price for concert tickets. It's not as if it's 1977 and the band was touring to promote Rumours, not even close.

Last edited by jwd; 06-13-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Old 06-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
If they can get it, more power to them. We have every right to question why, given the financial burdens most of us are feeling right now, and the fact that these prices are on the high end of the asking price for concert tickets. It's not as if it's 1977 and the band was touring to promote Rumours, not even close.
And, let's be honest, without Christine McVie, it's really not the full band. I could see them charging those prices if she were on board.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Funny you should say this. I KNOW a LOT of excellent employees right now who are working for less money and benefits at their jobs because businesses are struggling to survive. It wasn't voluntary though!
Me too, it's happening all the time right now. And believe it or not, some were voluntary!

Quote:
I don't even think that anyone who's posted in this thread has made THAT complaint. It's more about how much higher FM's tickets are relative to other bands touring right now. I think some of us would rather choose to see some other artists, and spend, let's say under $100, and get decent seats.

I totally agree. I don't see the problem with challenging what the band is asking for tickets considering that most acts of a similar size are charging less.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Registered

Quote:
Then why did they play the similarly sized sheds on the SYW tour and some of The Dance I suspect they would have on this tour, but it started too early for many of the sheds.
Huh? Most sheds seat between 7000-8000 and have room for an additional 8000-10000 on the lawn. Its a reduced gross potential from the current scaling that they're using on their arena tour, but FAR more than if they were playing the venues I was referring to in the post you quoted.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Me too, it's happening all the time right now. And believe it or not, some were voluntary!
I'd question how voluntary that was. Seems to me most and certainly all I know of did it because it was do that "voluntarily" or have no job. But, there could be rare instances, which was not my point. My point was few people would do it voluntarily when they did not have to.

Quote:
I totally agree. I don't see the problem with challenging what the band is asking for tickets considering that most acts of a similar size are charging less.
I think many if not most acts their size are charging similar prices for the last few years, to wit from 5/08 :

Quote:
Although no superhigh-priced, Rolling Stones-level act is touring this summer, more-affordable stars such as Eric Clapton, the Eagles and Jimmy Buffett have inched up their ticket prices compared to recent tours. For example, Clapton’s June 2nd date at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, is on sale for $125 to $195, compared to $85 to $150 at the same venue in 2006; the Eagles’ three late-May dates at Madison Square Garden are $50 to $190, compared to $25 to $180 when they played there in 2005. “It’s a constant battle,” says Andy Cirzan, vice president of concerts for Chicago’s Jam Productions. “Our goal would be to keep ticket prices constant so people could go to multiple shows.”
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...cert-business/

So, it seems to me FM is not off at all

But, I certainly do not fault anyone for bitching about the high prices. I certainly did. I am just saying that if you are short on cash, buy the $25 or so ticket - that way you can still see them, just 20 or so yards further away

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Huh? Most sheds seat between 7000-8000 and have room for an additional 8000-10000 on the lawn. Its a reduced gross potential from the current scaling that they're using on their arena tour, but FAR more than if they were playing the venues I was referring to in the post you quoted.
I was unclear - I was referring to sheds being less capacity, not that sheds were 2,500 people. My point was and is they do not really need to play the 2,500 seaters at this point - they are selling way beyond that now. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
I was unclear - I was referring to sheds being less capacity, not that sheds were 2,500 people. My point was and is they do not really need to play the 2,500 seaters at this point - they are selling way beyond that now. Sorry for the confusion.
I understand your point. I don't blame them for not wanting to play 2500 seaters either. The problem is, at the prices they are charging now, they are a weak arena act in many markets. It behooved them to (and they should have) charge less to begin with, as it would have helped with the demand for a no-longer-not-so-inevitable followup shed tour in '10- especially considering FM does not receive a g'tee for their LN shed gigs (rather 100% of the net gate after doc'd expenses).

My original point- in relation to NYC- was that if they absolutely wanted/needed to do a second NYC date this month (it better be because they're not hitting the market again in '09), it would have made much more sense to play a RCMH than a half empty MSG. The show was never going to come close to selling out anyways, for one, and RCMH would have been an inspired booking that would have gotten positive press (from the presumed sellout) and positive buzz from the fans. Maybe it could have been a show they filmed. Plus, even if they sold ~5500, they could have scaled it so that they would have made about as much as they did for the MSG mistake.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd question how voluntary that was. Seems to me most and certainly all I know of did it because it was do that "voluntarily" or have no job. But, there could be rare instances, which was not my point. My point was few people would do it voluntarily when they did not have to.
Obviously people don't do that sort of thing happily, but sometimes you do what you have to do in view of the times. I was just agreeing with jwd that I knew people who had experienced that too. But the fact is, given that people have supported this band for years and made them millionaires it might be nice if the band showed a little gratitude towards their fans by lowering their prices a little, as other big name acts have. It's just my opinion of course and I'm sure their luxurious lifestyle is more important to them than whether or not I attend a concert, it's just that considering Mick Fleetwood acknowledged how times were hard for people and he hoped people would still come see them (in a UK TV interview last year) I thought that maybe it would be reflected a little in their prices. Obviously I'm still going to see them when they come over but where before I would have gone to multiple shows this time I'm just going to one and I know I'm not the only one.

Quote:
I think many if not most acts their size are charging similar prices for the last few years, to wit from 5/08 :
In my experience, as someone who goes to gigs at least once a week, Fleetwood Mac are one of the most expensive out there at the moment, while other acts who used to charge more have dropped their prices a little of late. That's just my experience though. Also considering that article is from a year ago, I would be interested to know if that's still the case with those artists. I know Clapton was charging at least £20 less for his recent Royal Albert Hall shows here in London last month. Maybe it's a UK thing.

Last edited by trackaghost; 06-13-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Old 06-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understand your point. I don't blame them for not wanting to play 2500 seaters either. The problem is, at the prices they are charging now, they are a weak arena act in many markets. It behooved them to (and they should have) charge less to begin with, as it would have helped with the demand for a no-longer-not-so-inevitable followup shed tour in '10- especially considering FM does not receive a g'tee for their LN shed gigs (rather 100% of the net gate after doc'd expenses).

My original point- in relation to NYC- was that if they absolutely wanted/needed to do a second NYC date this month (it better be because they're not hitting the market again in '09), it would have made much more sense to play a RCMH than a half empty MSG. The show was never going to come close to selling out anyways, for one, and RCMH would have been an inspired booking that would have gotten positive press (from the presumed sellout) and positive buzz from the fans. Maybe it could have been a show they filmed. Plus, even if they sold ~5500, they could have scaled it so that they would have made about as much as they did for the MSG mistake.
Touché'

Actually, we agree more often than not. And, the empty MSG was an embarrasment.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I understand your frustration but if this turns out to be the last Fleetwood Mac Tour you just might wish that you had went. It really is a very good live show, sequenced perfectly. And just watching Lindsey's energy and enthusiasum(did I spell that right??) is amazing.
Last Fleetwood Mac tour? Methinks not..They have not yet even begun to milk the '"farewell tour" cash cow yet.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . I thought that maybe it would be reflected a little in their prices . . . .
I think they think (and rightly so IMO) that the $25 or $50 seats in, roughly, a third of the arena (in some cases more) is them catering to those who cannot afford the more expensive tickets. In an interview in the past, I believe Stevie said there are always cheap seats for the college kids, etc. So, they are not screwing the fans in that sense. They are only saying that if you want to sit on the floor, etc., it costs more. Yes, I wish those floor seats were cheaper, but that is different than the issue of them screwing their loyal fans with high price concert tickets - which goes back to my point that people are just complaining that they cannot afford a better ticket/seat, not that they cannot attend the concert at all

Again, I, too, wish the floor seats were cheaper, but if i could not afford them, I would get a cheaper ticket, be thankful for it, and enjoy the show from a little bit more toward the back.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The reason why there were thousands of unsold tickets last night is because FM had NO business doing a repeat trip to the market (and at MSG of all places) so soon. (between the poor MSG sales and the AC near-abortion, its obvious why they didn't add the egregiously bad pre-planned Holmdel gig) Its the most expensive venue in the country to play with all the overhead/union bull****, and they lost big $$$.

Of course, Fleetwood Mac needs their $800K g'tee. If they lowered their demands, maybe last night's show could have been a raucous sold out crowd at Radio City Music Hall. The point is- they need their fee. They don't want to play smaller venues- they would rather stay home. They would rather play to 1/3rd-1/2 empty houses (with the upper level completely curtained) than lower themselves to playing 2500-3000 seaters.
yeah, I really don't get the reasoning behind going back to MSG after just playing there. It obviously was a stupid business move.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
yeah, I really don't get the reasoning behind going back to MSG after just playing there. It obviously was a stupid business move.
I wonder who makes those decisions. I guess it is the tour manager along with Live Nation.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Obviously people don't do that sort of thing happily, but sometimes you do what you have to do in view of the times. I was just agreeing with jwd that I knew people who had experienced that too. But the fact is, given that people have supported this band for years and made them millionaires it might be nice if the band showed a little gratitude towards their fans by lowering their prices a little, as other big name acts have.
"Fans" is an unclear word. In Fleetwood Mac's eyes, we are customers. The band may use the term "fan" in its press, but it doesn't mean anything more than "person who buys a ticket or a CD."

Of course, even customers get a gift from a business now & then: restaurants give free meals after ten paid meals, my auto repair shop gives me a "loaner" car to drive around while my car is being worked on, etc., all in the name of give a little short term so that you'll recoup long term (in customer loyalty & return patronage). Fleetwood Mac doesn't offer "rewards" (like the grocery store cards).

Maybe one day Fleetwood Mac will do something like that. Hasn't happened yet. Maybe one day, horses will turn carnivore.

moviekinks.blogspot.com