Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
To hopefully clear up some confusion...
to the best of my knowledge, "Peacekeeper" has circulated amongst Reprise execs (and undoubtedly amongst a few lucky fans, as well), on a sampler CD, and is definitely not an alternate title to, or even a re-working of, "Murrow."
It's a completely different song.

Before anyone asks, I haven't heard it.

Johnny Stew
Thanks for that Johnny....the less GOS songs on the new album, the better: I want to have as much LB material as possible out of this "GOS+new album" project(s).

Old 10-27-2002, 04:05 PM

Default Thanks, Johnny Stew

Thanks for clearing things up Johnny Stew. I'd never even heard of Peacekeeper. And Murrow's lyrics don't lend themselves to a peacekeeping theme, that's for sure.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default song they are working on in the VBFM doc..

Stevie says it's hard to sing or something to that effect-is that "Peacekeeper?"

As to GOS songs on new album-Somebody's Gotta Change Your Mind, Deep Dense, Say Goodbye are the ones I am hoping are on there..I like Murrow, but I wonder how it would go over with the general public???
Old 10-28-2002, 09:34 AM

"Murrow" is an excellent song with the kind of frantic urgency that Lindsey used with great effect on some of the "Go Insane" tracks. I love it and I only wish Lindsey had gotten political much earlier. We especially need these views to get aired now, considering how absolutely crazy the state of politics has become. (Check out Steve Earle's new album, "Jerusalem," for more of this.)

Having said this, I believe that "Murrow" would be a poor choice of first single. One of the prettier songs would make sense. I am thinking of "Down on Rodeo" or "The Singer Not the Song." I doubt "The Singer Not the Song" will make the album, however. As for other pretty songs like "Say Goodbye," I just don't see today's radio audience taking to that, certainly not as a first single.

Most likely the first single will be a Stevie Nicks song. She will have lead vocals with Lindsey in the background. This will be purely a business decision. The label execs know the public is better acquainted with Stevie's voice, and as we can see from these boards, she is the most popular member of the band. Remember what happened with "The Dance." The label would rather release two old songs to radio, "Silver Springs" and "Landslide" than one of the new songs. That "Bleed to Love Her" wasn't a single still bugs me to no end.

Lastly, don't be surprised if the first single contains guest vocals from, say, Sheryl Crow or Natalie Maines. It's just the kind of thing the label might force on the band at a time like this.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:56 AM

Default Where's all the political music?

Those are pretty good thoughts, Carnevaca. I hadn't considered the Stevie element, and I suspect you're right.

That's okay by me--whatever it takes to get the job done.

And I totally agree that we need powerful political voices in the arts now more than any time since the Sixties. Where are all the gutsy performers? Am I missing something? Seems that most of the music is still so self-absorbed. "The Last DJ" by Petty was a nice dig at the music business and perhaps even the dumbing down of media. But it didn't pack much of a political punch, IMO. And in fact its supposed "controversial" nature tells me we're not very controversial anymore. Ah, maybe I'm living in the past.

Actually, this might make a good thread . . . where's all the politically-charged music? It must be out there somewhere!

By the way, I hadn't dreamed that Murrow might ever be the first single for the album. I was just thinking it might make a single.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:51 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Lastly, don't be surprised if the first single contains guest vocals from, say, Sheryl Crow or Natalie Maines. It's just the kind of thing the label might force on the band at a time like this.
I would NOT like this if that happens. FM does NOT need guest vocalists/musicians. And...Sheryl needs to stay away. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE Sheryl and everything she's brought to music the past several years. I've got most of her records and am glad she helped Stevie out but that's it. I don't even really like the idea of "extra" musicians on stage with them. I only accepted Ray Lindsey doing extra guitar live with them back in the older days. It just makes it harder to hear the actual band...especially with the vocals. I can understand now they'll need extra vocalists live since Christine is gone.

Sorry to go off on a tangent!!! Guess i could post a new thread with that idea!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
That "Bleed to Love Her" wasn't a single still bugs me to no end.
I agree wholeheartedly.
"Bleed To Love Her" is definitely one of Lindsey's best songs, and best performances. It most definitely should have been a single.

I'm assuming it must have been written for Kristin. And I know that a lot of fans have speculated that it must have been difficult for her to watch Lindsey and Stevie interacting with each other, night after night, on the 'Dance' tour, but gosh... if someone writes you a love song as beautiful as "Bleed To Love Her," you definitely have no worries!

Quote:
I'm hoping all parties concerned are wise enough to leave the guest singers to Carlos Santana, and to keep our Mac album nice and pure.
Sure, they've had a couple of guest musicians over the years... Waddy Wachtel on "Sugar Daddy"... Isaac Asanté on "Freedom"... and a few others here and there, on earlier recordings... but here's to hoping they'd never enlist the aid of a guest vocalist on one of their releases.

Johnny Stew
Old 10-28-2002, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If he wrote "Bleed to Love Her" for Kristen, I bet she didn't like it when he dedicated that song to Stevie in a couple of shows. He did dedicate it to Kristen in one of the last shows.

I don't think that song is about any one woman in particular. He said he wrote it at the crossroads of a couple of different relationships. It probably has a line or two that could apply to each of the different women in his life.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah...unless it were a former member (Peter, Rick, Billy, etc), or somebody from the "mini-Mac" (Neal, Brett, Lenny, etc), no guests.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith
He said he wrote it at the crossroads of a couple of different relationships. It probably has a line or two that could apply to each of the different women in his life.
Yikes, just as long as it's not about Anne Heche!!!

Johnny Stew
Old 10-28-2002, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know..."Steal Your Heart Away," if it made the album would be a perfect first single. I think it would blow up @ VHI...the same version that was on the Best Buy CD. I'm sure fans like us would want a new song though.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down PLEASE LORD!!!

No Sheryl, no Natalie, no ANYONE, but Lindsey, Stevie, Mick and John!! PLEASE!!!!!!!! I've had enough of the Stevie/Sheryl siamese twin scenario!! No offense to her fans, but geez.