User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
You gentlemen do realize she wasn't comparing her talents to Bob Dylan -- but rather the fact that neither follow the conventions of writing?
It sure sounded to me like she was!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You gentlemen do realize she wasn't comparing her talents to Bob Dylan -- but rather the fact that neither follow the conventions of writing?
Ah shet up Stew. You are so critiqueless it's unbearable. She herself came back on the 'ridiculous intervention of mister Buckingham about her lyrics at that moment' years later, ridiculed him for it. But of course, you understand her better than she does herself.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
The whole strain between Stevie and Lindsey regarding her songs goes all the way back at least as far as "Bella Donna"...Remember when they were recording "Mirage" and Stevie gave Lindsey a special signed copy of her debut solo album and Lindsey wouldn't even touch it and it ended up sitting on the floor leaning on a wall for weeks until Stevie finally crossed out Lindsey's name and gave it to someone else...I realize that was a long time ago but I don't think his attitude towards her songs has changed much over the years and if it has it was fairly recent...
wow, I never heard that story! I'm sure it's based in truth but I can't help but wonder if Stevie added a touch of dramatic flair here and there for effect.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 PM

All I can say is that thunder does happen even when it isn't raining.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Stevie's full quote, after Lindsey points out the "rule of thumb in writing":

"Well, I don't think you could say that to Bob Dylan, 'cause he would say to you, 'I write what I want to.'"

Despite Gerald's snarky little comment, I don't think I understand Stevie better than she understands herself. But I think it's pretty obvious when looking at the entire comment, that she was making a comparison between how they approach writing, not comparing their levels of talent.

Furthermore, Gerald, when she brought it up in the 'In Your Dreams' documentary, she says there are ways to offer advice and ways not to. She used that exchange with Lindsey as an example of how not to. It wasn't that he dared to criticize The Great Stevie Nicks.

I don't think Stevie's writing is perfect -- there are many instances where I've thought, "yikes, Stevie, you couldn't have come up with a better line than that?" But, hey, you're welcome to view my intentions however you wish.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
wow, I never heard that story! I'm sure it's based in truth but I can't help but wonder if Stevie added a touch of dramatic flair here and there for effect.

It was more about the success of her first solo album and not the songs. This was her first project that Lindsey wasn't apart of.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It was more about the success of her first solo album and not the songs. This was her first project that Lindsey wasn't apart of.
And from Lindsey's point of view, it might have felt like she was rubbing that fact in. Not just "gifting" the album to him.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She was definitely making a connection between her stature as an artist and Dylan's. Because she went to someone who is beyond reproach in terms of lyric writing. Who Dylan is was the point of her singling him out. Not just that there are similarities in their lyric writing approach.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey is not the problem. Stevie will listen to Dave. She won't listen to Lindsey. Stevie wanted to prove herself as a writer to Dave. She doesn't give a hoot what Lindsey thinks. Hence, she wrote complete songs with Dave and let him help her work them out. With Lindsey, she cops an attitude. The problem is Stevie and the material she came up with for over 20 years - a lot of bad, half baked songs.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
She was definitely making a connection between her stature as an artist and Dylan's. Because she went to someone who is beyond reproach in terms of lyric writing. Who Dylan is was the point of her singling him out. Not just that there are similarities in their lyric writing approach.
Or could it be that Dylan is simply the easiest, most obvious example of an unconventional songwriter in Stevie's wheelhouse of references?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Lindsey is not the problem. Stevie will listen to Dave. She won't listen to Lindsey. Stevie wanted to prove herself as a writer to Dave. She doesn't give a hoot what Lindsey thinks. Hence, she wrote complete songs with Dave and let him help her work them out. With Lindsey, she cops an attitude. The problem is Stevie and the material she came up with for over 20 years - a lot of bad, half baked songs.
Exactly.

And she's been very negatieve, or earthumping silent about his work over the years too. Until SWS. Oh god, Lindsey took a melodypill! How arrogant is that. As if WTWCT, SGCYM, Wait For You, Miranda, BTLH, Right Place To Fade, SYHA, and another album full of songs are lacking melody. What a crap. No, they should work together as adults. Lindsey wants to, and there's simply no reason not to.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Exactly.

And she's been very negatieve, or earthumping silent about his work over the years too. Until SWS. Oh god, Lindsey took a melodypill! How arrogant is that. As if WTWCT, SGCYM, Wait For You, Miranda, BTLH, Right Place To Fade, SYHA, and another album full of songs are lacking melody. What a crap. No, they should work together as adults. Lindsey wants to, and there's simply no reason not to.
I know, it's never her fault. It's ridiculous.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It there is indeed a division within the Mac perhaps they should do what Guns & Roses did and release 2 yes TWO records simultaneously...We could have the "Buckingham/Mac" album and the "Fleetwood/Nicks" album...Neither Stevie nor Lindsey would appear on the others "FM" album...Christine is free to choose if she want's to be on Stevie's or Lindsey's record or both records if she want's...Both the G&R records were "Double albums" so if LB or SN want to go there that's on the table as well...Fleetwood Mac has been full of drama from the start so this should fit right in...
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Stevie doesn't want to record with Lindsey That's her decision and if the band isn't happy with the way Stevie is participating they are more than welcome to do something about it...
Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
You know, that whole segment in Destiny rules where they discuss the tense in the lyric of the song.... I revisited that some time ago, and I still don't understand what's the big deal when a bandmember suggest a small lyrical adjustment. And after the Dylan remark he very humbly steps back. Has Dylan ever wrote a cheaper than free by the way?
Things between Stevie and Lindsey are never about whatever the obvious topic of their conversation is. All their interactions are so laden with baggage from the past that none of us will ever make full sense of what's really being said between them in any given moment. There are all sorts of undercurrents and the way something is said can set things off because of the way something else was once said in the past…. she knows what topics talked about in which way will push his buttons and vice versa…. there are so many layers upon layers of meaning between something as simple as a "hello" between those two that no one will ever really decipher it all. And more often than not when one of them says or does something they are fully aware of how it will set off a reaction in the other one. Don't try to figure it out; just sit back and enjoy the show.