User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

Honestly, I don't hate pits. My mom has one. Charlie - very lovable..to people at least. Big lug. But, I completely understand the municipal bans. I live in Denver, and we have a pit ban. The only way around it is with registered service dogs. Seized pits that violate the ban are also destroyed, like in Montreal.
My older brother, Jonathan, had a pit named Alex. Like Charlie, he was a goofy and totally loveable dog. He lived a long life, too, he passed in his sleep in 1974 at the age of 12. As for the ban, though, I understand it. I just think it's a bit unfair to those who can't afford to get the legal things done.

Last edited by ~*BellaDonna*~; 10-06-2016 at 11:03 AM..
Old 10-06-2016, 11:10 AM

I'm not a fan of pitbulls either. And I'm not a fan of shepherds, I'm not a fan of Chihuahuas, I'm not a fan of Terriers, I'm not a fan of Spaniels, you name it. I'm a fan of dogs, especially those that have been abandoned and need help.
Breeds have been made by man with infinite time and attempts to achieve the characteristics they believed were most necessary and desiderable to them. Now times have changed and we don't need these things anymore, so we try to make it look like these animals are refined accessories that we should pay tons of money for.
The dogs never asked nor wanted anything of it, and all they got from it were the innumerable problems and illnesses of each specific breed. Now we think that the problems are the dogs and the solution is put down every dog that could manifest aggressive behaviour which, it will surprise you, it's every dog really.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Registered

all dogs bite .

Isabelle Dinoire, recipient of the first FACE TRANSPLANT , was mauled by a Labrador Retriever .
Old 10-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I favor large dogs that can walk me instead of walking him/her.The small dogs yap too much which leave me out for them.Sorry Stevie.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-07-2016, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Personal Experience...

My family has owned and run a family farm since the 1850's.
We do grow crops but until about fifteen or so years ago we
were mainly dairy farmers and raised beef cattle. Along with
many varieties of chickens and peacocks. The birds were for
my dad's enjoyment. The eggs were a bonus.

With the combination of our cattle and my father's love of
hunting we've had more than our share of dogs. Collies,
Black Mouth Curs and at least three Pit bulls.

I can tell anyone with an open mind that Pit bull's are the
most aggressive dogs you can own.
These dogs of ours
weren't raised any differently than the other breeds. And yet
each one had those type of traits from the time they were puppies.

One we had to put down because of his actions. Another was
stolen from us. I've always suspected he was stolen to use for
dog fighting. He was one of my most favorite pets of any of the
dogs we'd owned.

I'll try to be careful with my words in describing him, or more
precisely his behavior. I could tell from a few weeks old he was
different from our other dogs. He had no quit in him. No fear.
A stranger would not want to get near him. When he'd - let's
say get rid of varmints in our yard or property he'd do it most
gruesomely. So much more so than our other dogs. Even the
Black Mouth Curs weren't as mean.

I don't have time for a dog anymore. Not to work with them.
And there's leash laws and such here now which is a good thing
for people. Not so much for the dogs.

I can tell you this for anyone that's considering a Pit Bull as a pet...

DON'T!

I try to be careful when using the word "fool". But if you have
children, or live anywhere near children - you'd have to be a
stinking fool to have one of these dogs as a pet.

I'll never have another.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never owned a Pitbull. My only experience is seeing the news stories when one suddenly turns and a child loses part of a face or a person loses their small dog. I understand some can be very docile and not typical Pitbull, but that's what some of the Pitbull owners that have made the news have said. It seems like more than every other dog attack story that makes the news here the last dozen years has happened to be the Pitbull or cross breed of some connection. I had a little experience with a breed of Husky and there were things you had to know about them in terms of pack behavior and not to let them loose if wolves were in the vicinity. I really wonder about people choosing to have a Husky in warm southern areas and I wonder about people who choose a Pitbull. It sounds like they have a bit of Wolverine in them. I had a cat once that had that in it, we loved it a lot but it would go absolutely psycho every other year or so and we could never figure out any trigger unless it had been mistreated as a kitten before we took it in. If someone law-abiding has a legitimate place for a Pitbull maybe there can be an exception for that, a responsible hunter for example, but I really feel they don't belong in most residential areas. I'm in favor of banning this breed and will not see them as safe as the owners of some now destroyed ones insisted over the years here. For most people it is a terrible choice for a pet and definitely a reckless choice for family pet. If people were smart and responsible we wouldn't need all kinds of laws and regulations, but reality is proven to be something less than than over and over.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pit Bull's have been banned in the UK for more than 20 years now. However, you'd never know it as there are so many loopholes in the law so they still exist. Pit Bull's (or at least cross-breeds) and related breeds such as Staffordshire Bull Terriers are commonly used as a weapon by gangs. Many dogs can be a danger, but there are clearly some breeds that are more dangerous than others (they've been bred that way for a reason). I don't like dangerous dog breeds. While they exist innocent people of all ages will continue to be attacked, maimed and even killed unneccessarily. Ban them completely.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

While I do not think this is right, I have known several pit bulls and boxers and they were all crazy and very aggressive. I don't trust those dogs.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:00 AM
olive
This message has been deleted by olive. Reason: the good of eveyone
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
While I do not think this is right, I have known several pit bulls and boxers and they were all crazy and very aggressive. I don't trust those dogs.
could the common link between them be the human and not the breeds ?

what was the human who was trusted with the care of them like ?

How much training did these creatures get ?

What kind of environment did these creatures live in ?

how much exercise did they get daily ?

Last edited by olive; 10-10-2016 at 08:37 AM..
Old 10-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
could the common link between them be the human and not the breeds ?

what was the human who was trusted with the care of them like ?

How much training did these creatures get ?

What kind of environment did these creatures live in ?

how much exercise did they get daily ?

Training and environment are a big part of it, I'm not denying that. But pit bulls are naturally aggressive dogs. It's in their genetics.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Training and environment are a big part of it, I'm not denying that. But pit bulls are naturally aggressive dogs. It's in their genetics.
Humans are naturally aggressive too, and it's their genetics.
However that's not the point, but rather I think it's ridicuolous trying to solve the problem of aggressive dogs by just focusing particularly on the most controversial breeds that are most portrayed in tragic news. Also just giving people the choice between spend a little capital or having to put them down is shameful. There are much more intelligent ways to handle the problems
If you really want to prevent attacks then all dogs must be kept on a leash in public, and all dogs should have a muzzle on when being in a public area. Also if you want to prevent the housing of particularly dangerous breeds you should focus taxes on the dog breeding centers and permits and checking should concern the moment of the purchase.
However I really don't like those centers, there are a lot of strays that are much more in need than the purebred and are overall a much better choice for a pet.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I am a dog lover and as I type this my rescue "Chester" is at my feet. He was dumped off at a kill shelter and since he is so big and black, no one wanted him. He was on death row until he was rescued by an angel and I adopted him from her. He is a gentle giant.
I support the Pit Bull ban and I will explain why. The breed was not aggressive when it was first created. About a hundred years ago someone wanted to add life and playfulness to a bull dog. They crossed it with a terrier and you had a very strong but playful breed. They were not aggressive or known for biting or attacks. Its what happened over the past half century that changed the breed. The breed started to get bred to be aggressive and fighting dogs. The last quarter century things have even gotten worse. The popularity of the breed made people breeding the dog faster and faster. It was a status symbol of a "bad ass." Because of the fast breeding of aggressive dogs has put this into the DNA of many of the dogs.
Now to the bites:
A pit bites different than other dogs. All other aggressive breeds bite and release. A pit never releases after biting and keeps attacking until its prey is killed (even human). This is why almost all human deaths from dog attacks are from pit bulls.
A friend of mine told me a story of a neighbor who had a pit bull on a chain. Even though the dog was chained, the dog would kill other dogs or cats in the neighborhood. Once his dad heard a dog yelping and the pit had another neighbor's dog in its mouth. His dad went over with a shovel and began hitting the dog over the head with the shovel to try to rescue the other dog. No matter how the pit was hit, the dog would not release his bite and the other dog died.
Sadly its because of man that ruined this breed. Yes of course there are many gentle pits that don't bite. But its because of their history that I don't trust them. You can imagine the amount of deaths in cities because of this breed led to these bans. Its because of this that I support these bans. Too many people have ruined this breed which is really unfortunate.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
A friend of mine told me a story of a neighbor who had a pit bull on a chain. Even though the dog was chained
Too many people have ruined this breed which is really unfortunate.
why have a dog if you are going to chain it ?

and yes human are the reason and they should be held responsible

Last edited by olive; 10-13-2016 at 06:01 PM..
Old 10-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
why have a dog if you are going to chin it ?

and yes human are the reason and they should be held responsible
Chin it? I assume you mean chain. I agree. It makes me so angry when I see a dog on a chain.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Chin it? I assume you mean chain. I agree. It makes me so angry when I see a dog on a chain.
Yea chain ...auto correct