The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default All the bad reviews in mainland Europe!

Can we please talk about the bad reviews in mainland Europe, is it due to the language barrier, only wanting to hear the hits, or is it that lack of emotional translation.

thoughts?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't seen any bad reviews, but I haven't read any of the reviews that weren't originally written in English because I can barely make sense of the bad translations.

Which ones are you talking about?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think some of it has to do with bad google translation...
Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1980 View Post
I think some of it has to do with bad google translation...
Yep, from what I've read on Nickslive a lot is lost in (bad) translation. The tone of the reviews is generally the same as the US tour, some are more negative and other are more positive. But I do get the feeling that Stevie's long WY intro is somewhat less appreciated, that might be a language thing.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 10-14-2013, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i've read things on nickslive, referring to GDW being too long, and the Tusk set being indulgent (i'm paraphrasing).
Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Yep, from what I've read on Nickslive a lot is lost in (bad) translation. The tone of the reviews is generally the same as the US tour, some are more negative and other are more positive. But I do get the feeling that Stevie's long WY intro is somewhat less appreciated, that might be a language thing.
I took French for six Years (but have forgotten most of it) but my experience is that considering the grammar and the sentence structure it doesn't do well
in Google translate.

The less appreciated WY speech I think is partly because there are a higher number of casual concert goers and in some countries a little bit due to language barrier. I am going to my first concert in Stockholm next week and I just pray she won't drop the speech.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Who cares what they think? Whoopie.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default European Leg of Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Who cares what they think? Whoopie.
Unless this is their last tour ever, you would think that the band would care. Perhaps they don't. I get the impression that they prepare what they believe is the best possible show and present that each night, almost like a Broadway play. I always found it strange that they do not tailor the setlist a little based on past radio hits. I think Diane and Family Man were hits in the UK, but they make no attempt to incorporate those into the setlist.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I only read some Dutch and Flemmish (Belgian) reviews. They are generaly not negative and not postive either. Claiming that they have seen profesional musicians on stage, but no spectaculair shows. They often have remarks on Stevie's voice, Lindsey's overdone guitar playing and that they garcefully grew old.

Yes, Mac played sold out shows, but the majority of the people were only there to see a big name 'from the past' performing. They do not care for long introductions, haven't ever heard of the Buckingham Nicks and expect them to play hits like Everywhere, Little Lies etc. Reviewers seem to share this opinion.

Besides, most known (Dutch) reviewers are always negative in a kind of way.

I stopped reading them. I know what I saw and heard :-)
Old 10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererJP View Post
I only read some Dutch and Flemmish (Belgian) reviews. They are generaly not negative and not postive either. Claiming that they have seen profesional musicians on stage, but no spectaculair shows. They often have remarks on Stevie's voice, Lindsey's overdone guitar playing and that they garcefully grew old.

Yes, Mac played sold out shows, but the majority of the people were only there to see a big name 'from the past' performing. They do not care for long introductions, haven't ever heard of the Buckingham Nicks and expect them to play hits like Everywhere, Little Lies etc. Reviewers seem to share this opinion.

Besides, most known (Dutch) reviewers are always negative in a kind of way.

I stopped reading them. I know what I saw and heard :-)
It is the same here....I believe most of the Swedish critics are always a bit negative (as long as it is not Bruce Springsteen because he is considered to be a saint over her) so I don't expect anything bu luke warm reviews next wednesday.

But I am with you...as long as I feel it was a great concert I am happy!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererJP View Post
I know what I saw and heard :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1980 View Post
as long as I feel it was a great concert I am happy!
I third this. I don't care what reviews say. I had a great time and would go again in an instant (if I could afford to)
Old 10-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Junior Ledgie

Meh, bad reviews. I never really get what the reviewer achieves by writing a bad review because mainly the only people who take note and read what they say are the fans who have basically sold their souls to whoever/whatever is being reviewed.

I know what I heard/saw too. In fact I LOVE the WY intro, it is different every night and I looked forward to hearing what she would say every time. Especially 25/09 when (I believe) Stevie coined the phrase 'Space Face' for 'My Space'. My friend and I roared with laughter. I even wrote it into my notes on my phone so I wouldn't forget it.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnicks88 View Post
I know what I heard/saw too. In fact I LOVE the WY intro, it is different every night and I looked forward to hearing what she would say every time. Especially 25/09 when (I believe) Stevie coined the phrase 'Space Face' for 'My Space'. My friend and I roared with laughter. I even wrote it into my notes on my phone so I wouldn't forget it.
I think she did coin the phrase, but not on 9/25. I think she first said "space face" years ago. I think she may have made up 2 names conflating the social networks together. Spaceface and something else.

Michele