User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I like Mirage, but Tango has one huge advantage over Mirage- some of the strongest material from Christine McVie ever. Little Lies, Isn't It Midnight, Everywhere, Mystified, heck even You and I, all great songs and most more memorable than anything on Mirage.

Hold Me is better than Everywhere and Little Lies, but Isn't It Midnight is better than Love In Store. Only Over You is better than Mystified. I agree though, Christine had some great songs on Tango. No filler from Christine in Tango. Wish You Were Here was kinda boring. She could have done a better song to close Mirage.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Hold Me is better than Everywhere and Little Lies, but Isn't It Midnight is better than Love In Store. Only Over You is better than Mystified. I agree though, Christine had some great songs on Tango. No filler from Christine in Tango. Wish You Were Here was kinda boring. She could have done a better song to close Mirage.
Boooooooooo!
Wish you were here is the perfect closer for Mirage. Just the opening piano riff with Lindsey's crying guitar grabs my attention immediately. Chris sings the song from the heart. Its one of my favorite Christine songs ever.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Boooooooooo!
Wish you were here is the perfect closer for Mirage. Just the opening piano riff with Lindsey's crying guitar grabs my attention immediately. Chris sings the song from the heart. Its one of my favorite Christine songs ever.
I couldn't agree more! "Wish You Were Here" is one of Christine's finest compositions and a fantastic choice to close the "Mirage" album. The opening piano riff of "Wish You Were Here" sounds almost identical to the opening chords of the 1997 live version of "Silver Springs" from "The Dance" album. Did Chris use the same tune?

In fact, all four of Chris' songs from "Mirage" are fantastic. From the playful harmonies of "Love In Store" to the lilting loneliness of "Only Over You", Chris hits a home run! Just several more reasons why "Mirage" is one of the greatest albums in Fleetwood Mac's catalog.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I couldn't agree more! "Wish You Were Here" is one of Christine's finest compositions and a fantastic choice to close the "Mirage" album. The opening piano riff of "Wish You Were Here" sounds almost identical to the opening chords of the 1997 live version of "Silver Springs" from "The Dance" album. Did Chris use the same tune?

In fact, all four of Chris' songs from "Mirage" are fantastic. From the playful harmonies of "Love In Store" to the lilting loneliness of "Only Over You", Chris hits a home run! Just several more reasons why "Mirage" is one of the greatest albums in Fleetwood Mac's catalog.
The intro is just simply an inversion of the same chord. I think it's Cmaj. She's just simply going down the keyboard, while playing a few pedal tones in the left hand. I think she stole Why's intro for Come A Little Closer in a bootleg.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You are spot on. It is an inversion of the same chord. In the sheet music it's a Db major.
And it does sound like the live beginning of Silver Springs. The first time I heard the live SS, I actually thought they were doing WYWH live.
I wonder why she/they changed the intro to SS? I actually like the studio intro much more.

Kevin

Last edited by pattyfan; 07-28-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Old 07-28-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
You are spot on. It is an inversion of the same chord. In the sheet music it's a Db major.
And it does sound like the live beginning of Silver Springs. The first time I heard the live SS, I actually thought they were doing WYWH live.
I wonder why she/they changed the intro to SS? I actually like the studio intro much more.

Kevin
They slowed down the bps. I think she changed it to be a little more lush.
I'm guessing. But, the studio version sounds faster to me.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Mick was starting to have some money troubles and he wanted to escape taxes by recording in France.
Right. This is how Mick explained in his first book.
I had asked the band to record outside the United States, so that as a citizen of Monte Carlo I wouldn't be liable for American taxes. I
was beginning to get into dire straits with money, having taken bank loans out at some of the highest interest rates in living memory to pay for real estate. I had to prove this new album was recorded out of the country. I was still thinking of emigrating to Australia and giving up my American green card to live as Lord of the Manor at Wendsley Dale, but at the same time, Lord of the Manor was getting more nervous every day. In the back of my mind, I knew I couldn't operate out of the United States. If I stayed away too long, Fleetwood Mac might drift apart, and I was obsessed with keeping this band together and working no matter what.

There is no other studio mentioned, but the Mirage page at Wikipedia (Don't have an álbum or cd book right now) says:
Recorded 1981–82 at Le Château in Hérouville, France, Larrabee Sound Studios and the Record Plant (both in Los Angeles, California) mixed at George Massenburg Labs in West Los Angeles, California