Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
A Danny Kirwan tribute might happen if they play Station Man.
That would be nice, although without a rambling intro by Stevie, it'll no doubt be a lot shorter.

Speaking of more appropriate tributes - how about a tribute to Bob Welch?

Old 10-02-2018, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
That's a real stretch. Free Falling is a Tom Petty song and the whole world knows that first. Hardly anybody is going to know nor care that she covered it twenty years ago for a soundtrack and had it on the third disc of a boxed set.

Quote me now. If FF is done on this tour, it will include a self indulgent intro story that somehow turns into a Stevie story, not a Tom story.
I was talking about SDMHA, not FF. I think they'll do both songs, but SDMHA won't be part of a TP tribute, since that was on her album and was her biggest "solo" hit.

Just based on what Mike has said, I have no doubt we'll get a cringe-worthy TP tribute from Stevie with FF.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Of course you can. It’s not a Fleetwood Mac song. If you want to showcase Finn, then write a new song with the band. FM singing DDIO is one of the craziest things this band has done.
At the first Fleetwood Mac show, they played "The Supernatural," which Peter recorded with the Bluesbreakers. Mick, Jeremy, and Bob Brunning were not on the original, and it wasn't a Fleetwood Mac song.

When Christine joined, they did "I'd Rather Go Blind," "Get Like You Used To Be," and "Crazy 'Bout You, Baby," which were either Chicken Shack or solo.

When Lindsey and Stevie joined, they did "Don't Let Me Down Again" and (briefly) "Frozen Love."

When Billy was in the band, they did "Tear It Up" and "The Bigger The Love."

When Dave Mason was in the band, they did "We Just Disagree," "Only You Know and I Know," "Feelin' Alright," and "Dear Mr. Fantasy."

ETA: The band has also done "Stand Back," "Go Insane," and HAEWAFY, which were also not Fleetwood Mac songs.

How is doing "Don't Dream It's Over" any crazier, or even slightly out of character?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 10-02-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Old 10-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
At the first Fleetwood Mac show, they played "The Supernatural," which Peter recorded with the Bluesbreakers. Mick, Jeremy, and Bob Brunning were not on the original, and it wasn't a Fleetwood Mac song.

When Christine joined, they did "I'd Rather Go Blind," "Get Like You Used To Be," and "Crazy 'Bout You, Baby," which were either Chicken Shack or solo.

When Lindsey and Stevie joined, they did "Don't Let Me Down Again" and (briefly) "Frozen Love."

When Dave Mason was in the band, they did "We Just Disagree," "Only You Know and I Know," "Feelin' Alright," and "Dear Mr. Fantasy."

ETA: The band has also done "Stand Back," "Go Insane," and HAEWAFY, which were also not Fleetwood Mac songs.

How is doing "Don't Dream It's Over" any crazier, or even slightly out of character?
Did they ever do any Welch material that wasn't FM?

And.... The Bigger The Love!!! I couldn't think of that!! Nice one..
Old 10-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I kind of disagree with this. This is Fleetwood Mac tour. People expect to hear FM songs. If you are going to put these guys in a band and want to hear their stuff,record new music (they won’t. Stevie said it doesn’t sell). Also, no one is a bigger TP fan than me, but why on earth are they doing a tribute to him within the context of a FM concert. Just because he was a friend of Stevie’s and she hired his out of work guitarist? Where’s the Danny Kirwan tribute, that’s a bit more fitting.
They tried using relative unknowns with Billy and Rick, and it only worked on that first tour because the band was promoting a new hit album. However, when that lineup made its own album, Billy and Rick ultimately proved that they couldn’t be the creative driving force the band needs. Nor could they effectively overcome the specter of Lindsey.

Obviously, this tour doesn’t have the benefit of a new hit album, so they needed to put in internationally known musicians who have their own public images to make up for the parting with Lindsey. People won’t expect Mike Campbell or Neill Finn to be Lindsey Buckingham. Compare that to 1987 when they initially dressed Billy up like Lindsey for that first press conference and had him play a white Les Paul Custom.

As for a Tom Petty tribute, it would become the elephant in the room to not do something, with Mike and Stevie up there, and around the anniversary of Tom’s passing. At least it’s coming from a genuine place. Tributes to Danny and especially Bob would be nice and in order, but Danny wasn’t an especially endearing character and Bob may have burned one too many bridges.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did they ever do any Welch material that wasn't FM?
Maybe. I’ve only seen only one boot from the FG tour, although they also did Dragonfly and Lay It All Down on TV.

Tell Me All the Things You Do
Future Games
Morning Rain
Woman of 1000 Years
Black Magic Woman
Get Like You Used to Be
Homeward Bound
Trinity
Child of Mine
Oh Well
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I knew you were going to cite all those precedents, had anticipated them earlier today. Here's one difference: When Christine joined, FM didn't have a particularly high profile in the US. The band were free to explore and try on hats. Even when they toured Europe (considered without Green to be non-events) they were free to reinvent themselves because they were young and had no other choice.

Here's another difference: doing DDIO is A LOT crazier than "Stand Back" and "Go Insane" because those songs were written and sung by longstanding FM band members whose solo careers, no matter how popular they became, were still considered satellite projects of the mothership.

Stevie and Lindsey could do Buckingham/Nicks songs for the same reason Christine could sing Chicken Shack songs--moreover, neither Chicken Shack nor BN had any name recognition in America when they incorporated them into the band. No one really knew Billy Burnette when he joined, so his pre-FM songs were considered FM material in the same way--even if longstanding fans weren't really interested.

The only parallel you cite that resembles FM doing DDIO is with Dave Mason doing famous Traffic songs on the Time tour. Well--as everyone knows--that was an embarrassing low point for the band. It didn't make sense then and doing Crowded House tunes on an FM tour don't make any sense now.

We all know you want this new configuration to work and you are supporting the band's attempt to reboot. Cool. But most of us are just not buying it, not now. Had this been 1970 or 75--or even 1988, maybe....but it would have sucked even in 1973 if, say, a member of a once genuinely famous band came into the FM lineup and did former glories with them. Imagine Rod Stewart singing "Maggie Mae" on the PENGUIN tour. No thanks.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Doing DDIO is basically saying “we know it doesn’t make a lot of sense that we brought Neil Finn to this band at this very late stage of our existence but hey here’s that famous song he did that you all know”. Had they instead chosen to write a new FM song or two with Finn, then the message would be “here’s a couple of songs by this new version of FM to introduce this great addition and show you why we chose him”. Also - it’s really lazy of them.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Re: Petty tribute. Stevie already did a tribute to him when was alive during the 24 Karat tour before singing Starshine. I’m guessing, but could be wrong, that she spoke about him after he passed during the Australia leg of that tour. She also spent much of her time at Music Cares talking about him.

I love Tom Petty very much and today brings up all the memories of that horrible day a year ago. But I don’t see the need for FM to do a tribute a year after his death regardless of Stevie and Mike. I don’t think people expect it. I think they expect a FM concert and hoo boy are they in for a surprise with this tribute or not.

It appears Stevie is driving this despite what Mike Campbell wants and that makes it particularly unsettling. Had he talked about how excited he is to do a tribute on this tour, perhaps I’d think differently.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And.... The Bigger The Love!!! I couldn't think of that!! Nice one..
Remember that Graham Nash interview/profile show on A&E? When Mick was interviewed, Billy & Co. sang "The Bigger the Love."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-02-2018, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Here's another difference: doing DDIO is A LOT crazier than "Stand Back" and "Go Insane" because those songs were written and sung by longstanding FM band members whose solo careers, no matter how popular they became, were still considered satellite projects of the mothership.
Agree.

Quote:
Stevie and Lindsey could do Buckingham/Nicks songs for the same reason Christine could sing Chicken Shack songs--moreover, neither Chicken Shack nor BN had any name recognition in America when they incorporated them into the band. No one really knew Billy Burnette when he joined, so his pre-FM songs were considered FM material in the same way--even if longstanding fans weren't really interested.
Agree.

Quote:
The only parallel you cite that resembles FM doing DDIO is with Dave Mason doing famous Traffic songs on the Time tour. Well--as everyone knows--that was an embarrassing low point for the band. It didn't make sense then and doing Crowded House tunes on an FM tour don't make any sense now.
Agree. I attended a couple of 1994 gigs, with Bramlett singing her parents' music and "Gold Dust Woman" and even a song by John Lennon, Mason singing "We Just Disagree" and "All Along the Watchtower," and Burnette singing his family's music and "Go Your Own Way." Mason also sang "Only You Know and I Know," which as everyone knows is connected to Delaney and Bonnie. But a concert that is an illustration of the Six Degrees of Separation game is not necessarily a good time. Everybody but Mason performed earnestly and skillfully, but there was depression at the core of it. The band didn't know why it was playing all this stuff—it was frantically trying to connect.

Quote:
Imagine Rod Stewart singing "Maggie Mae" on the PENGUIN tour. No thanks.
Agreed. That was the effect of the 1994 tour.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 10-02-2018 at 06:16 PM..
Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Doing DDIO is basically saying “we know it doesn’t make a lot of sense that we brought Neil Finn to this band at this very late stage of our existence but hey here’s that famous song he did that you all know”. Had they instead chosen to write a new FM song or two with Finn, then the message would be “here’s a couple of songs by this new version of FM to introduce this great addition and show you why we chose him”. Also - it’s really lazy of them.
The new compilation of old material would have been the perfect time to record some new songs. Neil can write a catchy pop ditty in his sleep and I think Christine can still write. Stevie is a dried up old husk of her former self as a writer but she could kick in another vault song. This entire thing smacks of a karaoke cash grab.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Remember that Graham Nash interview/profile show on A&E? When Mick was interviewed, Billy & Co. sang "The Bigger the Love."
I don't recall this. I'll look it up. Sometimes, I will see something and then remember it after the fact.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Re: Petty tribute. Stevie already did a tribute to him when was alive during the 24 Karat tour before singing Starshine. I’m guessing, but could be wrong, that she spoke about him after he passed during the Australia leg of that tour. She also spent much of her time at Music Cares talking about him.

I love Tom Petty very much and today brings up all the memories of that horrible day a year ago. But I don’t see the need for FM to do a tribute a year after his death regardless of Stevie and Mike. I don’t think people expect it. I think they expect a FM concert and hoo boy are they in for a surprise with this tribute or not.

It appears Stevie is driving this despite what Mike Campbell wants and that makes it particularly unsettling. Had he talked about how excited he is to do a tribute on this tour, perhaps I’d think differently.
Stevie’s cringeworthy speech at Musicares was a TP tribute through and through. Apart from screwing up her and Lindsey’s ages when they joined the band (the band beingFM and not TPH) I don’t think she mentioned FM at all. How’s that as a thank you to the band that made you famous
Old 10-02-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
. The band didn't know why it was playing all this stuff—it was frantically trying to connect.

Agreed. That was the effect of the 1994 tour.
This ^^^^^

From an artistic standpoint, it feels just like this. ^^^^^^ Desperate to keep the vase together so it can still hold flowers. But, once you arrange it you realize it's very old and fragile and don't quite know what to do with it because it's nearly embarrassing.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-02-2018 at 07:18 PM..