The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2022, 10:35 PM
dougl's Avatar
dougl dougl is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 242
Default Live Des Moines, Iowa 4/29/84

https://youtu.be/62fNz-gI8DE
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 03-14-2022, 04:26 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 5,052
Default

Oh wow. You just made my day. Best concert of my life. I always loved the echo effect on The Smile That I Live For. The recording does not do it justice. To hear it live in a theater took the song to another level. Fantastic versions of Spare Me A Little and Crazy Love. Just everything is superb!

A rocking version of One In A Million with Chris at the center microphone. Then she jets to the grand piano and belts out Hold Me. OMG incredible. Her live version is better than the 1982 live Mac version and is even better than Buck/Vie. You just need Lindsey on vocals.

A rocking Too Much Is Not Enough too. This is also the first tour/concerts of making Dont Stop a closer. The Mac used to play it early in the set prior to 1984.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-14-2022 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2022, 07:23 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,877
Default

Wow!! Thank you so much for this.

Smile I Live For is amazing. Especially with the echoes. This band is really tight. And yes, the Hold Me is better here than with Lindsey.
Dare I say, Todd Sharp's solo is stunning on Smile I Live For. That's how you do it.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-15-2022 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-15-2022, 10:07 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,398
Default

Well, this is just smashing good! In very fine vocal form. She sounds better here than on the 1984 record. And the band is hot as hell. For me, I was especially pleased with the energy everyone brought to “The Challenge” (which, on the album, underwhelmed me); the return to the 1972 arrangement of “Spare Me,” though sung with superior skill; the sexiness she brought to “Ask Anybody”; and the group’s spirited version of “Too Much” (which elsewhere has sounded bland to me). This was a great show and I wish I’d been there. The audience clearly loves her. She delivers here what Robert Christgau said of her self-titled album in general: pert, up-tempo songs that will keep you humming, and an unimpeachable sense of the sensible. But more than that, the group sounds like a genuine band. Thanks for unearthing!

Last edited by aleuzzi; 03-15-2022 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2022, 08:35 AM
On Ice On Ice is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 620
Default

My formal request for a clean up and remaster of this treasure. She is at the top of her game here- obviously inspired by a committed and masterful band, she is in amazing voice and equipped with a stellar set list. Every single song is a highlight. Thanks for this find!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2022, 11:59 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 5,052
Default

One reason the live versions of these songs sound so good is that Chris got to use the same musicians on her album and tour. George Hawkins, Todd Sharpe, and Steve Ferrone, etc. Steve is one of the best drummers in the bizz. He provides that extra crack boom on The Smile I Live For.

I have the Jackson NJ show on CD that I found on Ebay about 17 years ago. One of my prized possessions. It sounds professionally recorded. Chris is so funny too because she was playing Great Adventures Amusement park but did not know the name of the town. You have to hear her banter with the audience about it. Its hysterical. Then she dedicates Songbird to them because about a week before the concert, several teenagers died at a fun house fire at the park.
Now you know why I say this was probably the best concert in my life.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-16-2022, 04:28 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
One reason the live versions of these songs sound so good is that Chris got to use the same musicians on her album and tour. George Hawkins, Todd Sharpe, and Steve Ferrone, etc. Steve is one of the best drummers in the bizz. He provides that extra crack boom on The Smile I Live For.

I have the Jackson NJ show on CD that I found on Ebay about 17 years ago. One of my prized possessions. It sounds professionally recorded. Chris is so funny too because she was playing Great Adventures Amusement park but did not know the name of the town. You have to hear her banter with the audience about it. Its hysterical. Then she dedicates Songbird to them because about a week before the concert, several teenagers died at a fun house fire at the park.
Now you know why I say this was probably the best concert in my life.
Awesome story! I have to say the Cleveland Show was one of the best shows of my life, too. She just jammed with a fantastic band and it had that spirit of a very entertaining night out. And she looked amazing.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-16-2022, 04:54 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 5,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Awesome story! I have to say the Cleveland Show was one of the best shows of my life, too. She just jammed with a fantastic band and it had that spirit of a very entertaining night out. And she looked amazing.
Eddy Quintela winked at me (us)from behind Chris's keyboards when my friend waved to him. His hands were too busy to wave back.
When I saw her in Pittsburgh she screwed up the town's name too. She thought she was in Detroit. It really confused everyone when she came on stage and said. Howya doing tonight Detroit
She apologized profusely afterwards.
In Jackson she asks the audience the name of the town and says this cant be the name of the town, right? Then she plays Dont Stop and after Dont Stop she tells the audience, I know Great Adventure is not the name of the town.."I'm really smart" Then finally someone yells Jackson and then she dedicates Songbird to the victims in Jackson in the park. You have to hear it, it is so funny and shows her sense of humor.

Dont you wish you had a hot tub time machine to go back to spring 1984 and for $15.00 see her concert night after night and just keep driving from town to town.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-16-2022 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-16-2022, 05:18 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 14,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

Dont you wish you had a hot tub time machine to go back to spring 1984 and for $15.00 see her concert night after night and just keep driving from town to town.
I swear I think my Mirage ticket was only $16. Yeah, the ticket stub is in my safe, 40 feet away, but I'm LAZY.

I'd like to go back to 1984 for a myriad of reasons. When you fire up that hot tub, swing by and pick me up!
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-16-2022, 06:49 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Eddy Quintela winked at me (us)from behind Chris's keyboards when my friend waved to him. His hands were too busy to wave back.
When I saw her in Pittsburgh she screwed up the town's name too. She thought she was in Detroit. It really confused everyone when she came on stage and said. Howya doing tonight Detroit
She apologized profusely afterwards.
In Jackson she asks the audience the name of the town and says this cant be the name of the town, right? Then she plays Dont Stop and after Dont Stop she tells the audience, I know Great Adventure is not the name of the town.."I'm really smart" Then finally someone yells Jackson and then she dedicates Songbird to the victims in Jackson in the park. You have to hear it, it is so funny and shows her sense of humor.

Dont you wish you had a hot tub time machine to go back to spring 1984 and for $15.00 see her concert night after night and just keep driving from town to town.
I really wish I could go back to that show. Also, David Gilmour solo tour that year too. Roger Waters was a little later.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-17-2022, 03:20 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 5,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I really wish I could go back to that show. Also, David Gilmour solo tour that year too. Roger Waters was a little later.
In the 1980s people wondered what life would be like in 2020. We found the answer. In 2020/2022 people want to go back to the 1980s.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-2022, 07:45 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
In the 1980s people wondered what life would be like in 2020. We found the answer. In 2020/2022 people want to go back to the 1980s.
I also saw Eric Clapton that year, Chick Corea, Frank Zappa, and Neil Young (small bar in the valley).
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2022, 08:32 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 5,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I also saw Eric Clapton that year, Chick Corea, Frank Zappa, and Neil Young (small bar in the valley).
The prior year I saw Stevie and AC DC. In 1984 I saw Kiss with Wasp and Christine McVie.
Interesting mix, no? You can tell my friends were metal heads
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-2022, 09:21 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The prior year I saw Stevie and AC DC. In 1984 I saw Kiss with Wasp and Christine McVie.
Interesting mix, no? You can tell my friends were metal heads
Yes, I had to sit through Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden(loved that show), Metal Church, and a few others.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 5,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Yes, I had to sit through Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden(loved that show), Metal Church, and a few others.
We had the same friends

Yes, I forgot, saw the Scorpions and Bon Jovi in 1984. Saw Judas Priest the following year in 1985 (Turbo). Never saw Iron Maiden. But I have been to a Slayer concert (God help me).
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Fleetwood Mac Signed Tusk Lp 4X Christine McVie John Lindsey Mick PSA/DNA LETTER picture

Fleetwood Mac Signed Tusk Lp 4X Christine McVie John Lindsey Mick PSA/DNA LETTER

$1999.99



JOHN MCVIE HAND SIGNED 8x10 PHOTO AUTOGRAPHED FLEETWOOD MAC BASSIST RARE COA picture

JOHN MCVIE HAND SIGNED 8x10 PHOTO AUTOGRAPHED FLEETWOOD MAC BASSIST RARE COA

$84.99



Fleetwood Mac Tour John McVie Bass Guitar Pick picture

Fleetwood Mac Tour John McVie Bass Guitar Pick

$27.00



* JOHN MCVIE * signed vinyl album * THE WHITE ALBUM * FLEETWOOD MAC * 1 picture

* JOHN MCVIE * signed vinyl album * THE WHITE ALBUM * FLEETWOOD MAC * 1

$263.99



* JOHN MCVIE * signed 8x10 photo * FLEETWOOD MAC * BASSIST * COA * 2 picture

* JOHN MCVIE * signed 8x10 photo * FLEETWOOD MAC * BASSIST * COA * 2

$176.00




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved