The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

gosh Paula, that sounds awful. I'm so sorry. hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone have any updates?

My pinched nerve is no better despite PT & medications. I see my MD again tomorrow & we'll take it from there - MRI is pretty much a definite. I'm up 4 pounds, I'm assuming partially due to decreased activity & the meds. The only thing I can really do is the elliptical without arm movement, which I guess is better than nothing.

So I'm not happy, although my clothes still fit fine. In fact, I prescribed some retail therapy for myself this week (I was in so much pain afterwards, but it was worth it) and I was fitting into anywhere between a 6 & a 10. I got a bunch of great deals at Sears (I think it's the first time I've ever gotten clothes there) and NY&Co. and ended up with 2 dresses, a pair of pants, a skirt, and 2 shirts for less than $80. God bless coupons & clearance racks!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Anyone have any updates?

My pinched nerve is no better despite PT & medications. I see my MD again tomorrow & we'll take it from there - MRI is pretty much a definite. I'm up 4 pounds, I'm assuming partially due to decreased activity & the meds. The only thing I can really do is the elliptical without arm movement, which I guess is better than nothing.

So I'm not happy, although my clothes still fit fine. In fact, I prescribed some retail therapy for myself this week (I was in so much pain afterwards, but it was worth it) and I was fitting into anywhere between a 6 & a 10. I got a bunch of great deals at Sears (I think it's the first time I've ever gotten clothes there) and NY&Co. and ended up with 2 dresses, a pair of pants, a skirt, and 2 shirts for less than $80. God bless coupons & clearance racks!

Oh jeez Paula!! I hope they can find some sort of solution for that nerve. Get better sweetie.

Me and my friend Courtney have been running the elevated track here at College. Its so fun and we both realize the best time for us to go is like 9 pm on weeknights. We tend to be able to go longer. Its great!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyone have any updates?
I've been adding a lot of wheat germ to my food & cooking. I've also switched from the treadmill to the bike on cardio days. Still strength training twice a week -- down from three times a week years ago. Seem to be making more progress on current regimen. I'm ripped & cut now.

Quote:
My pinched nerve is no better despite PT & medications.
Paula, I'm not ordinarily an advocate of alternative medicine. I think a lot of it is a cottage bunco industry. But did you see this story today?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/04...med/index.html

1. Acupuncture for pain
Hands, down, this was the No. 1 recommendation from our panel of experts.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ No, I didn't see that until now. Couldn't hurt, right? Better than relying on pain pills just to be able to move, that's for sure. Thanks for the link. I'm actually feeling a tad bit beter this morning, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jimmy - glad to hear you're keeping up with the running - good for you!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK. So. I have 3 herniated discs in my neck, one of which is pressing on my spinal cord as well as the radial nerve root. At least I know I'm not crazy, and we've found the reason for my pain. Neurosurgical consult is next. Continuing PT twice a week.

Still plugging away on the elliptical though. Better than nothing, but I don't feel toned anymore & that pisses me off. Eating has been OK, but I've definitely been craving junky carb food more often than usual - comfort food, I suppose. Got to keep that in check.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wow. keep us posted and don't overdo it on that elliptical!

I've kinda sank into a binge the past 2 weeks. I've gained like 3 pounds. I don't know what my deal is. I think I'm burnt out and just frustrated. I think I need to take a week off and rest up and then get back to it.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ Oh trust me, I do. I hold on to the stationary handlebar & move my legs only. I look ridiculous.

It's been about a year for you, right? Since you started? That's how long it's been for me & I'm going through the same thing. I guess we have to allow ourselves to slide a bit & not beat ourselves up, but force ourselves not permanently fall back into old habits. Back on track, baby.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^
yep. I started June 1, 2006. I am in the "what the hell" kind of mood most of the time. I'm eating sugar and white flour more than I have in a LONG time. not really drinking my water. I know I will get back to it, I just need a little time away to get my head right again.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Eating has been OK, but I've definitely been craving junky carb food more often than usual - comfort food, I suppose. Got to keep that in check.
Another thing I just thought of is that as we move into late fall & winter & the amount of sunlight dwindles, our bodies & minds go into a little bit of a funk. We slow down a bit, get a little more lethargic, maybe some of us crave more carbs (the ancient instincts in our genetics probably to "pack up" with fat for the winter, when hunting & grain are at low ebb).

So to that end, I've heard that it's helpful to get more light -- in your face, on your body, everywhere. If you're at home during the day, throw open the blinds or shutters & let more sunlight than you normally do stream in. Sit outside. Watch TV at night or have sex with the lights on. Some people even have light therapy at clinics.

If you have the time, go find some grass in a park & lie down, face up, for awhile. Try to get more exposure to sunlight than you usually do. And if you're hungry between meals, buy some of those chicken on a stick things that you can keep at home & microwave a few of those when you're hungry. Snack on protein rather than simple carbs or sugars.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
have sex with the lights on
lord have you lost your mind?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Snack on protein rather than simple carbs or sugars.
very true!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm familiar with the change in season thing. Thing is, it's still mostly sunny with temps in the 60's & 70's here. Crazy - this time last year that massive ice storm hit & we were without power for almost a week! Anyway, daylight is getting shorter every day of course, so that def. doesn't help.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK. So. I have 3 herniated discs in my neck, one of which is pressing on my spinal cord as well as the radial nerve root.
WTF!!! How did that happened? Are you ok?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic View Post
WTF!!! How did that happened? Are you ok?
Does it sound like I'm OK, you stupid Canadian?

I'm functioning, working, able to comb my hair & apply makeup, etc. So I'm not that bad off. But I do have pain 24/7 - never stops, even with meds. They said I'll probably never know exactly how it happened - could have slept wrong or twisted my neck slightly a few months ago & it slowly gets worse without you really noticing until you can't feel your appendages or can't move your head. Fun, huh?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

Ugh. That sounds horrible - I'm glad they found the reason though -and maybe now can do something about it!