Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
This is a VERY long article...
that's an understatement. I'm gonna hafta print this one out.

thanks for posting though...seems to be very informative.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read it! Confusing, yet enlightening, yet most seems like common sense. Yes, that's my review.

This? Blows my mind:
Quote:
The sheer novelty and glamour of the Western diet, with its 17,000 new food products introduced every year....

I took the liberty of reposting the last part of that article, since this is the jist (gist?) of it.

Quote:
So try these few (flagrantly unscientific) rules of thumb, collected in the course of my nutritional odyssey, and see if they don’t at least point us in the right direction.

1. Eat food. Though in our current state of confusion, this is much easier said than done. So try this: Don’t eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food. (Sorry, but at this point Moms are as confused as the rest of us, which is why we have to go back a couple of generations, to a time before the advent of modern food products.) There are a great many foodlike items in the supermarket your ancestors wouldn’t recognize as food (Go-Gurt? Breakfast-cereal bars? Nondairy creamer?); stay away from these.

2. Avoid even those food products that come bearing health claims. They’re apt to be heavily processed, and the claims are often dubious at best. Don’t forget that margarine, one of the first industrial foods to claim that it was more healthful than the traditional food it replaced, turned out to give people heart attacks. When Kellogg’s can boast about its Healthy Heart Strawberry Vanilla cereal bars, health claims have become hopelessly compromised. (The American Heart Association charges food makers for their endorsement.) Don’t take the silence of the yams as a sign that they have nothing valuable to say about health.

3. Especially avoid food products containing ingredients that are a) unfamiliar, b) unpronounceable c) more than five in number — or that contain high-fructose corn syrup.None of these characteristics are necessarily harmful in and of themselves, but all of them are reliable markers for foods that have been highly processed.

4. Get out of the supermarket whenever possible. You won’t find any high-fructose corn syrup at the farmer’s market; you also won’t find food harvested long ago and far away. What you will find are fresh whole foods picked at the peak of nutritional quality. Precisely the kind of food your great-great-grandmother would have recognized as food.

5. Pay more, eat less. The American food system has for a century devoted its energies and policies to increasing quantity and reducing price, not to improving quality. There’s no escaping the fact that better food — measured by taste or nutritional quality (which often correspond) — costs more, because it has been grown or raised less intensively and with more care. Not everyone can afford to eat well in America, which is shameful, but most of us can: Americans spend, on average, less than 10 percent of their income on food, down from 24 percent in 1947, and less than the citizens of any other nation. And those of us who can afford to eat well should. Paying more for food well grown in good soils — whether certified organic or not — will contribute not only to your health (by reducing exposure to pesticides) but also to the health of others who might not themselves be able to afford that sort of food: the people who grow it and the people who live downstream, and downwind, of the farms where it is grown.

“Eat less” is the most unwelcome advice of all, but in fact the scientific case for eating a lot less than we currently do is compelling. “Calorie restriction” has repeatedly been shown to slow aging in animals, and many researchers (including Walter Willett, the Harvard epidemiologist) believe it offers the single strongest link between diet and cancer prevention. Food abundance is a problem, but culture has helped here, too, by promoting the idea of moderation. Once one of the longest-lived people on earth, the Okinawans practiced a principle they called “Hara Hachi Bu”: eat until you are 80 percent full. To make the “eat less” message a bit more palatable, consider that quality may have a bearing on quantity: I don’t know about you, but the better the quality of the food I eat, the less of it I need to feel satisfied. All tomatoes are not created equal.

6. Eat mostly plants, especially leaves. Scientists may disagree on what’s so good about plants — the antioxidants? Fiber? Omega-3s? — but they do agree that they’re probably really good for you and certainly can’t hurt. Also, by eating a plant-based diet, you’ll be consuming far fewer calories, since plant foods (except seeds) are typically less “energy dense” than the other things you might eat. Vegetarians are healthier than carnivores, but near vegetarians (“flexitarians”) are as healthy as vegetarians. Thomas Jefferson was on to something when he advised treating meat more as a flavoring than a food.

7. Eat more like the French. Or the Japanese. Or the Italians. Or the Greeks. Confounding factors aside, people who eat according to the rules of a traditional food culture are generally healthier than we are. Any traditional diet will do: if it weren’t a healthy diet, the people who follow it wouldn’t still be around. True, food cultures are embedded in societies and economies and ecologies, and some of them travel better than others: Inuit not so well as Italian. In borrowing from a food culture, pay attention to how a culture eats, as well as to what it eats. In the case of the French paradox, it may not be the dietary nutrients that keep the French healthy (lots of saturated fat and alcohol?!) so much as the dietary habits: small portions, no seconds or snacking, communal meals — and the serious pleasure taken in eating. (Worrying about diet can’t possibly be good for you.) Let culture be your guide, not science.

8. Cook. And if you can, plant a garden. To take part in the intricate and endlessly interesting processes of providing for our sustenance is the surest way to escape the culture of fast food and the values implicit in it: that food should be cheap and easy; that food is fuel and not communion. The culture of the kitchen, as embodied in those enduring traditions we call cuisines, contains more wisdom about diet and health than you are apt to find in any nutrition journal or journalism. Plus, the food you grow yourself contributes to your health long before you sit down to eat it. So you might want to think about putting down this article now and picking up a spatula or hoe.

9. Eat like an omnivore. Try to add new species, not just new foods, to your diet. The greater the diversity of species you eat, the more likely you are to cover all your nutritional bases. That of course is an argument from nutritionism, but there is a better one, one that takes a broader view of “health.” Biodiversity in the diet means less monoculture in the fields. What does that have to do with your health? Everything. The vast monocultures that now feed us require tremendous amounts of chemical fertilizers and pesticides to keep from collapsing. Diversifying those fields will mean fewer chemicals, healthier soils, healthier plants and animals and, in turn, healthier people. It’s all connected, which is another way of saying that your health isn’t bordered by your body and that what’s good for the soil is probably good for you, too.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ Eat like the Italians?! Do you KNOW what an Italian considers one portion?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know

I think it is romantic to envision the Europeans as having this healthy lifestyle. but, everytime I go over there, they stuff you to death with butter and cream based sauses and they all smoke and are drunk from noon on -- not that I object mind you

I think they are in general thinner because they walk or ride a bike everywhere -- the portions are as large and they eat foots filled with saturated fat.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I know

I think it is romantic to envision the Europeans as having this healthy lifestyle. but, everytime I go over there, they stuff you to death with butter and cream based sauses and they all smoke and are drunk from noon on -- not that I object mind you

I think they are in general thinner because they walk or ride a bike everywhere -- the portions are as large and they eat foots filled with saturated fat.

Not many McD's or Pizza Huts either. Seriously.

When I was in Bulgaria, we ate a lot of fish, chicken, feta cheese, fresh veggies (omg, my mouth waters just thinking about those tomatoes...) rice & homemade baked goods. Very little beef, and NO BOX FOOD. It's extremely expensive to buy convenience food (boxed cereal, mac & cheese, etc.) so most people just don't eat it. Everything is just fresher & homemade compared to the way many households are here in the U.S.

But yes, everyone smokes there.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

But, that home prepared food likely has lard in it as they do not really get the concept of low fat.

In the end, overeating is a problem everywhere and to assert the Europeans have some sort of automatic panacea is just wrong based on what I have seen. And, every major city I went to had fast food joints, much like America. I, too, loved the little local eateries, but I can assure you that huge portion of Lasagne outside of Florence had just as much fat and carbs as a Big Mac. Also, they really don't do a whole lot of diet soda there and they drink the sugared stuff, which is horrible for you.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
^^ Eat like the Italians?! Do you KNOW what an Italian considers one portion?
I don't think he was referring to the Italian-American diet! I suspect he was referring to the Mediterranean diet in general that includes more tomatoes, olives, olive oil, whole grains, rice, etc. moreso than the southern Italian/Sicilian heavy stuff. I always thought the stereotype of over-doting Italian mothers was based on the Sicilians; by contrast, the people I've met from places in the north like Milan or even areas close to Switzerland were always very thin. Accordingly, when they come to America, they instantly gravitate toward steak since it is such a novelty at home.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know

Well for whatever it's worth, as a vegan/vegetarian, I found plentiful options in Paris, even though I was expecting the worst. But then again, I spent a lot of time grocery shopping. In general, I noticed that they are really big on chocolate, wine and yogurt. Entire aisles full of the stuff; buying wine there is like buying a 2-liter bottle of diet coke here. As the article suggests, these are age-old "foods" that have been around forever, and we are just now beginning to appreciate their health benefits.

Another thing I noticed is that the French are really "snacky." So are the Japanese. Again, aisles and aisles of pouch-sized snacks. Granted, most of these snacks are totally not good for you- high in sugar, salt and fat. But it probably does help to curb their appetites at mealtime. So indeed there must be something to be said about eating small amounts throughout the day rather than saving it all for meals.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^

Most def. If you eat a fist size meals every three or so hours -- your body's furnace (the metabolism) will always be ready to take on a larger task.

Truth be known, I LOVE European cooking because of the heavy fats.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

7. Eat more like the French. Or the Japanese. Or the Italians. Or the Greeks. Confounding factors aside, people who eat according to the rules of a traditional food culture are generally healthier than we are. Any traditional diet will do: if it weren’t a healthy diet, the people who follow it wouldn’t still be around.

Sorry, Thats a bunch of bunk. Look at what the life expectancy of these "traditional" cultures. The average Roamn was dead by 32. (Yes, there were many factors beyond food consumption involved, but it was one varible in the mix) Also if you have ever visited ancient (or even just past generational ruins and homes, you will find we are (on average) much taller, stronger and overall healthier. (Yes, medical advances and many more varibles are apart of this, but also our food knowledge) Put it this way. In "Some" cultures, vegetables were seen as poisens not to be injested by humans. Go figure.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^^

But, that home prepared food likely has lard in it as they do not really get the concept of low fat.

In the end, overeating is a problem everywhere and to assert the Europeans have some sort of automatic panacea is just wrong based on what I have seen. And, every major city I went to had fast food joints, much like America. I, too, loved the little local eateries, but I can assure you that huge portion of Lasagne outside of Florence had just as much fat and carbs as a Big Mac. Also, they really don't do a whole lot of diet soda there and they drink the sugared stuff, which is horrible for you.
That's exactly it - the major cities you've been to. As a tourist. They're not stupid - they know where the tourists will be, and what they want. And I'm sure the lasagna had plenty of fat & calories, but I'm also quite sure it was probably made with fresher ingredients - just becasue something's low-cal doesn't mean it's healthy & vice versa.

No lard at my families' homes. Butter & cream, yes. But not in huge amounts. Soda - maybe 1 per day, but it's usually water, some wine with meals. I don't think that just because someone is European that they automatically eat well. But in general (and this is speaking only for my family) they eat smaller portions, more fresh fruits/veggies/grains, and very little processed or fast food. People also usually walk everywhere that's nearby. Snacks are fresh cheeses, breads, olives or salads. No chips, pretzels, "Little Debbie" snacks, etc.

And yes, there are AMERICAN fast food places all over Europe now - there's a McD's a couple miles from my brother's house. But it's not as affordable as it is here, so it's a special treat to have once every few months - not a few times a week like many I know in the U.S. It's also relatively new - 10 or 20 years there as opposed to more than 50 here -and there isn't a fast food joint on literally every corner, so fast food is not as ingrained in the culture there. Again, I'm speaking about my family. It's obviously a bit different when you go to the tourist areas - foreign travelers want their junk food, esp. Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss View Post
Sorry, Thats a bunch of bunk. Look at what the life expectancy of these "traditional" cultures. The average Roamn was dead by 32. (Yes, there were many factors beyond food consumption involved, but it was one varible in the mix) Also if you have ever visited ancient (or even just past generational ruins and homes, you will find we are (on average) much taller, stronger and overall healthier. (Yes, medical advances and many more varibles are apart of this, but also our food knowledge) Put it this way. In "Some" cultures, vegetables were seen as poisens not to be injested by humans. Go figure.

But the life expectancy here in the U.S. was also very low not all that long ago. Humans have gotten larger & taller in general. You really can't compare current issues with ancient data. The fact is that CURRENTLY, obesity rates are markedly higher in the U.S. than most (any?) other countries, particularly in parts of Southern Europe & Asia. Same with heart disease. There must be a reason why.

I found another article today, this one's a bit more simple & points out that it's not only diet that sets other cultures apart from us - it's activity, how fast we eat, etc. Notice that the U.S. is cited for putting some of these things into practice.

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/...094736,00.html

Quote:
5 Healthiest Habits on the Planet
Learn five nutritious habits of the planet's healthiest countries—then use our tips to give your diet a boost.

By Lia Huber

If you've vacationed in an international destination, you know that learning about its food is one of the best ways to become familiar with a new culture. But lately, Americans have also taken greater interest in global cuisine because of health benefits attributed to certain styles of eating. Books, such as The French Diet: The Secrets of Why French Women Don't Get Fat, by Michel Montignac, and ongoing nutrition studies of the so-called Mediterranean diet and Asian foods continue to garner new headlines. We've sifted through the research to offer the following eating and meal-planning tips. Making small changes in the way you eat can bring big health benefits—and more enjoyment—to your table.

Healthy Habit #1
Eat Plenty of Produce and Whole Grains
Countries known for putting it into practice: China and Greece

In many countries, meat is a garnish. The traditional Chinese diet, for example, consists primarily of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. And in Greece, "vegetables and legumes are main meals, not just side dishes," says Antonia Trichopoulou, M.D., Ph.D., professor at the University of Athens Medical School and director of the World Health Organization's Collaborating Center of Nutrition.

Research finds that three servings or more a day of produce can lower the risk of stroke, heart disease, and some cancers. Harvard University's Nurses Health Study, for example, which examined almost 85,000 women over 12 to 14 years, found that those who ate the most fruit and vegetables had a 20 percent lower risk for heart disease. The new USDA guidelines recommend we eat between five and 13 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, and we're starting to hear the message. The average American consumed roughly 332 pounds of fresh produce in 2004, up from 287 pounds in 1990. Plus, with the growth of America's farmers' markets, the introduction of Consumer Supported Agriculture, where community members buy produce from local farmers each month, and home delivery from many supermarkets, opportunities for Americans to have fresh produce abound.

What you can do:
Try to fill two-thirds of your plate with produce and whole-grain foods, and the remaining third with fish or meat, Montignac says. Also, challenge yourself to put as many colors as possible into your meal. Or go on a fruit exploration: Try one new type of fruit from your local market each week. In summer, freeze some of your new favorites for a frosty after-dinner treat.

Healthy Habit #2
Savor Leisurely Dining
Countries known for putting it into practice: Italy, France, Spain, Greece, Japan

A meal in these countries often lasts several hours. In fact, one of Greece's dietary guidelines, its version of our usda dietary guidelines, is to "eat slowly, preferably at regular times of the day, and in a pleasant environment." Sharing a meal is so important that Greeks call someone a friend "by saying we have shared bread together," Trichopoulou says.

For the French, Italians, and Spanish, meals provide quality time with friends and family, a practice that encourages healthful bonds. Eating comfortably and slowly discourages overeating and fosters relaxation, which aids digestion. The body processes food more easily and efficiently when it's calm, Montignac says.

What you can do:
Take time to savor the scent, texture, and flavor of food. A traditional Japanese tea ceremony, for example, includes a role for each of the senses—watching and listening as the tea pours from pot to cup, picking up the cup and feeling the heat, smelling, and finally, tasting. Another way to savor your supper: Divide it into separate courses. Instead of bringing everything to the table at once, have a salad course, then fruit, entrée, and dessert—with, say, at least 10 minutes between each course to digest, chat, and relax. Whether you're dining with a spouse, family, or just you, set the table and sit down, rather than grazing in the kitchen—and enjoy.

Healthy Habit #3
Practice Portion Control
Countries known for putting it into practice: France, Japan

We have an abundance of delicious and nutritious food available in America; we just need to pay attention to portions. An average meal in France is 25 percent smaller than one in America, according to a 2003 University of Pennsylvania comparison, which examined portion sizes at 11 similar pairs of establishments, from pizza parlors to ethnic restaurants. The study also found that a typical carton of yogurt sold in Philadelphia was 82 percent larger than one offered in Paris, and a soft drink was 52 percent larger. In Japan, foods also come in smaller sizes and are often eaten out of bowls, rather than large plates or platters.

What you can do:
Japanese from the Okinawa region, who enjoy the longest life span in the world (an average of 82 years), practice "hara hachi bu," which translates to "eight parts out of 10" and means Okinawans stop eating when they are 80 percent full, says Brad Willcox, M.D., M.S., coauthor of the Okinawa Diet Plan. To adopt the concept, set down your fork and remove your plate at the first twinge of fullness, instead of taking a break and eating more. You can also use smaller plates and bowls when setting the table; use a food scale to measure portions; and opt for filling, fiber-rich foods, such as lentils and vegetables. For more tips or to follow the diet online, visit www.okinawadiet.net.

Healthy Habit #4
Eat a Variety of Unprocessed, Fresh Foods
Countries known for putting it into practice: Italy, France, Greece, Japan, the United States

The first thing many foreign visitors comment on when they enter an American supermarket is how many choices are available. It's not uncommon to find wild Alaskan salmon, olive oil from Greece, and grains from Italy all in one store. Organic foods and farmers' markets have also never been more popular. Many of these outlets feature interesting varieties, such as heirloom fruits and vegetables.

Shopping in countries such as France and Italy may also involve several stops—at the butcher, the greengrocer, and the baker—which not only increases the shopper's activity level, but also results in meals made with unprocessed ingredients, Montignac says. Studies show that fresh foods provide more fiber; fewer calories, saturated fats, and trans fats; and less added salt and sugar.

What you can do
Skip the prepared food aisles at the market and choose fresh, whole foods. Also, indulge in salads: With so many prewashed fresh vegetables and fruits available, you can put together a big, colorful one in minutes. Combine bagged baby greens, sliced mushrooms, cherry or sweet grape tomatoes, prechopped fresh bell peppers, and red onions. Drizzle with a bottled, reduced-calorie vinaigrette, and add whole-grain crackers, melba rounds, or matzoh crackers on the side to sneak in whole grains. Also, take vegetables beyond salads and steamers by pairing sauteed broccoli or spinach with whole wheat pasta, and tossing with roasted beets and walnuts.

Healthy Habit #5
Spice Up Your Plate
Countries known for putting it into practice: India, China, Thailand, the United States

Herbs and spices add delicious, attractive, and healthful flair to your plate. In addition to being low in calories and virtually fat free, researchers are discovering that herbs, such as garlic, thyme, and rosemary, and spices, like cinnamon, cloves, and curcumin (also known as turmeric), may fight disease. One recent, 40-day study of 60 people with type 2 diabetes found that eating half a teaspoon of cinnamon twice daily significantly lowered subjects' blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

What you can do:
In the United States, we have many ethnic restaurants and food choices where spices take center stage, and there are still more ways to add them to your diet. For example, to make sure fresh, delicious herbs are available year-round, start a container garden on your windowsill. You can also experiment with using unfamiliar spices on familiar foods. For example, if you love roasting a whole chicken or chicken breasts in paprika, try it with, say, curry powder. Rub the chicken well with the powder, then roast until juicy and tender. Dip bites of the chicken in bottled chutney mixed with a little lemon or lime juice. Alternatively, add a sprinkle of earthy ground cumin, a touch of ground cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg or coriander after rice cooks to add bold flavor and aroma. You can also add fresh herb leaves, such as basil, mint, or tarragon, to salads for a flavor boost.

Last edited by skcin; 02-01-2007 at 02:29 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^

I have been to more than just the major cities and the food was just as rich in the villages. In the end, it really comes down to portion control and watching the combinations of food you eat. if you eat fat and carbs all day long, your ass will expand.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^^^

I have been to more than just the major cities and the food was just as rich in the villages. In the end, it really comes down to portion control and watching the combinations of food you eat. if you eat fat and carbs all day long, your ass will expand.
Obviously. But not every meal is a rich meal, and any restaurant, even little bistros, are going to be more heavy than what you get for a typical daily meal. Like I said, I can only speak for my family & what they eat in their homes daily - healthy, fresh food in smaller portions at a slower more relaxed pace.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Obviously. But not every meal is a rich meal, and any restaurant, even little bistros, are going to be more heavy than what you get for a typical daily meal. Like I said, I can only speak for my family & what they eat in their homes daily - healthy, fresh food in smaller portions at a slower more relaxed pace.
But, that is true here as well. Most Americans do not dine out every night. They can't afford to. Instead, they cook and when they do, it likely is the same kind of thing as over there - a meat, a salad, etc.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, that is true here as well. Most Americans do not dine out every night. They can't afford to. Instead, they cook and when they do, it likely is the same kind of thing as over there - a meat, a salad, etc.
My American fam dines out a lot more than my Bulgarian fam. A lot more. That's formal dining, casual dining, and fast food. It's a fact. It's also a fact that my mom cooks a lot of packaged/processed foods, and so did most moms I knew growing up. Mac & cheese or rice from a box, bread from a bag, sauce from a jar or can, etc., not to mention frozen foods. These "convenience" food are a way of life here. They aren't over there. My sister-in-law bakes every day or buys bread from the bistro, all veggies come from their gardens, all meals are from scratch. Not as fatty, not as full of chemicals. No, you can't eat as much as you want - you can't do that anywhere with anything. Common sense.

Like I said, this is my family, my experience.