User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I don't think so, dude. And we should all hope that's not the case. Do you think Gephardt would fare better? He's the only one who's shown some signs of life lately, and he's never going to get the nomination. No Capitol Hill Democrat will.

It's Dean or bust. See, no one else can excite the passion of the liberal Democrats. And he's not even a real liberal!
I agree (don't fall over ) Dean has tapped into somewhing I think is not yet known or completely understood. I mean I know hard core Republicans that are gravitating toward Dean. I'm like WTF?

Perhaps its because when Clinton ran against the first Bush, there were like 50 webpages TOTAL and now there are like 50 billion world wide.

Note: I am not saying Dean is the be all and end all of anything. I am just saying that for the moment and the relevant past he has been, for whatever reason, able to stir up people far more than anyone else.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think so, dude. And we should all hope that's not the case. Do you think Gephardt would fare better? He's the only one who's shown some signs of life lately, and he's never going to get the nomination. No Capitol Hill Democrat will.

It's Dean or bust. See, no one else can excite the passion of the liberal Democrats. And he's not even a real liberal!
You're absolutely right, but if he gets the nomination, we'll have another four years of Bush. They are chomping at the bit to get at Dean.

And no, he's not a liberal: he's a Democrat in a Republican's clothing.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:25 PM

Dissention, I hate to disagree with you because you are usually so right. (I know what it's like to be right most of the time; I share that burden, just ask Mrs. Carne. ) But here's the thing, Dean is not perfect. No way. I am concerned about his campaign's intransigence on the sealed documents. I hope there is nothing so damning to undo him at this stage, for it would be a real shame. As far as shooting his mouth off, I don't worry so much about that. That shouldn't surprise anyone, considering my record here.

But what he has shown is something the other candidates seem to lack -- leadership. Now more than ever in my lifetime we need a real leader. Let's get rid of the bozo in office right now and put someone who can truly lead in there. Like it or not, Senators and Congressmen don't tend to make great leaders. Of course there are exceptions. But the nature of their roles is often about compromising.

Don't be so sure Dean can't beat Bush. If you really think about it, he's really the most Bush-like of the anti-Bushes, except he's a lot sharper than Bush.

Strand, see, that wasn't so painful, was it?
Old 01-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Dissention, I hate to disagree with you because you are usually so right. (I know what it's like to be right most of the time; I share that burden, just ask Mrs. Carne. ) But here's the thing, Dean is not perfect. No way. I am concerned about his campaign's intransigence on the sealed documents. I hope there is nothing so damning to undo him at this stage, for it would be a real shame. As far as shooting his mouth off, I don't worry so much about that. That shouldn't surprise anyone, considering my record here.

But what he has shown is something the other candidates seem to lack -- leadership. Now more than ever in my lifetime we need a real leader. Let's get rid of the bozo in office right now and put someone who can truly lead in there. Like it or not, Senators and Congressmen don't tend to make great leaders. Of course there are exceptions. But the nature of their roles is often about compromising.

Don't be so sure Dean can't beat Bush. If you really think about it, he's really the most Bush-like of the anti-Bushes, except he's a lot sharper than Bush.

Well thank you, it means a lot coming from you.

You pretty much posted the main reason why I believe the Republicans want a crack at him: those sealed documents. I think they know what are in those documents and they can't wait to use them. I think it's very telling that the Republicans are keeping pretty mum about Dean and the other candidates.

I will be the first to cast a vote for Dean if he gets the nomination. I don't like him, but anything is better than Shrub. I just think that the conservatives have a lot of ammo against him and are preparing to use ALL of it.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No - it was not!!!

Also, I say Dean has a chance because history demonstrates little known govenors (Carter and Clinton) have won against sitting Republican Presidents. I know all situations are factually different (Carter had Watergate and Clinton had the whole read mmy lips fisaco), but the fact that like Dean they were little known govenors from fairly politically irrelevant states is kind of creepy in this light.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:41 PM

Strand, what you say has some validity. In those cases, the voters latched on to something they saw in the candidate, call it the leadership thing, at a time when despair and frustration was high. This Iraq thing, though most Americans claimed they favored the war, is going to be Bush's undoing, in addition to a faltering economy. The more evidence that surfaces showing the American public has been had, the more it will benefit Dean.

See, eventually Americans do the right thing. Unfortunately a lot of damage gets done while they wait around to be convinced.

Dudes, I gotta do some work now...
Old 01-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The more evidence that surfaces showing the American public has been had, the more it will benefit Dean.
I pray you're right.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I pray you're right.
Me too - although my cast iron stomach can take W, I cannot stomach Ashcroft and his religious bigotry in the slightest

Old 01-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Gldstwmn, hey, I see you're still supporting Kerry. He's very sad. He's trying to pull a Clinton during the debate by walking forward on stage, then gets in the shadows where the camera can't quite pick him up. He goes on Meet the Press earlier in the day and Tim Russert, not exactly an aggressive questioner, skewers him over his position on Iraq and his attacks on Dean.

If I remember correctly, Tim rightly pointed out that Kerry blasted Dean for saying the capture of Saddam wouldn't stop the terrorist attacks. Or something like that. Then Tim points out that Kerry not only voted for the resolution giving Bush the go ahead to start the war but also has said that Iraq has turned into a hotbed for terrorists since the war. Tim rightly asked him how he can reconcile these obviously inconsistent positions. Kerry counters with some lame nonsense about context, and by the time he gets to his second sentence, you can actually hear a collective yawn from two thirds of the viewing audience echoing across America. How truly sad. Pack it up, Johnny boy, time to go home.

Braun made some excellent points during the debate, even coming to the defense of Dean and sparring with Sharpton. She's got integrity. I bet she'll play a role in the Dean administration.
Clark, baby. Although I do still like Mr. Kerry very much. In fact, I like all of them except for HoDe.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
I'm relatively new to he board, but I thought I'd jump into the political postings anyway.

I did not watch the debate, but I cannot stand Mosely-Braun. I'm from Illinois and we, unfortunately, had her as a Senator. I can tell you she treated those of us from Southern Illinois abhorrently. Hey, I know we play second fiddle to Chicago, but she was over the top. She was elected to represent the entire state, not just the greater Chicago area. She wasn't extremely popular, because the next election, she lost to Peter Fitzgerald. And he is a pretty big dud too. (And I say that as a moderate Republican!)

~Krista
Is this the same Fitzgerald that was appointed special prosecutor in the Wilson/Plame investigation? Please do tell us more about Carol Moseley Braun.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Clark has been moving up quite a bit in the polls. In fact, last night they said he was running in a dead heat in NH. The Dems are going to nominate Wesley Clark.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
No - it was not!!!

Also, I say Dean has a chance because history demonstrates little known govenors (Carter and Clinton) have won against sitting Republican Presidents. I know all situations are factually different (Carter had Watergate and Clinton had the whole read mmy lips fisaco), but the fact that like Dean they were little known govenors from fairly politically irrelevant states is kind of creepy in this light.
They're not gonna let that Yankee be president.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Strand, what you say has some validity. In those cases, the voters latched on to something they saw in the candidate, call it the leadership thing, at a time when despair and frustration was high. This Iraq thing, though most Americans claimed they favored the war, is going to be Bush's undoing, in addition to a faltering economy.
Yup.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

By the way, does anyone remember who won the NH primary in 2000?
Old 01-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
They're not gonna let that Yankee be president.
He says tongue in cheek - "Finally - some sense outa you!!!"

I think Clark may very well get the nomination. But, I also think it will be either Dean or Clark. Out of the two, I think Clark is a stronger candidate. But, Dean has that whole unknown internet fan base (LIKE STEVIE ) going for him. So, we shall see in about two weeks.