User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've played it almost everyday since release.
Everyday? I'm trying to cut myself back to ONCE a day now, so that I don't get burned out on it.

My initial four times a day was so that I'd know the songs well, by the concert. Now that I'm hooked, I want to enjoy this eargasm for the next year, so once a day is the limit for now, and I'll eventually get down to a couple times a week.

I'm very familiar with my obsessive tendencies, and my history of burnouts!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Everyday? I'm trying to cut myself back to ONCE a day now, so that I don't get burned out on it.

My initial four times a day was so that I'd know the songs well, by the concert. Now that I'm hooked, I want to enjoy this eargasm for the next year, so once a day is the limit for now, and I'll eventually get down to a couple times a week.

I'm very familiar with my obsessive tendencies, and my history of burnouts!
Did you sing them? I'm one of those annoying person who sing every song, if I know the lyrics.

Obsessive too. And my fallouts are pretty depressive.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Did you sing them? I'm one of those annoying person who sing every song, if I know the lyrics.

Obsessive too. And my fallouts are pretty depressive.
Of course! I'm still having problems figuring out what some of the lyrics are, though. They really should have included a lyrics section(even if there are some cheesy ones) with the CD. I guess I need to visit that lyrics thread...

Well, I know that when I LOVE something, I'll play it to death. Then one day I'll wake up and be sick of it. I've learned when to back off, so that I can extend the honeymoon. I won't be sick of this, any time soon.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Of course! I'm still having problems figuring out what some of the lyrics are, though. They really should have included a lyrics section(even if there are some cheesy ones) with the CD. I guess I need to visit that lyrics thread...

Well, I know that when I LOVE something, I'll play it to death. Then one day I'll wake up and be sick of it. I've learned when to back off, so that I can extend the honeymoon. I won't be sick of this, any time soon.
I found it odd they didn't include a lyric section. Sadly, I didn't find too much effort in the packaging. You have all the lyrics in the lyrics thread.

I'm pretty obsessive too with the things I love. I don't get sick with time but I become disinterested, which is worst. I need therapy.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I'm pretty obsessive too with the things I love. I don't get sick with time but I become disinterested, which is worst. I need therapy.
We all do, my friend. We all do.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On vacation on Miami Beach laying under an umbrella and damn does this album sound great through headphones staring at the ocean.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
On vacation on Miami Beach laying under an umbrella and damn does this album sound great through headphones staring at the ocean.
The album really pops!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The album really pops!
I'm with you. I've listened to some or all of it every day since it was available on NPR. Now I've got the disc in my car and the iTunes downloaded into my phone's gym mix. I'm digging this collection. The only song I skip (routinely) is the first one. The rest I play right through.

I remember being excited by IN YOUR DREAMS, too. About five of the songs on it are excellent! But I couldn't listen to the entire set back-to-back. Same with SEEDS WE SOW. Dynamic and engaging in parts but not something I enjoy from beginning to end.

Not so with this LB/CM collaboration. It's VERY listenable--and more.

(Note: OUT OF THE CRADLE, IN THE MEANTIME, and LAW AND ORDER are the only solo albums I can consume from beginning to end in one sitting.)
Old 07-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.popculturebeast.com/cd-re...kingham-mcvie/

CD Review: “Buckingham McVie”
Pat Francis 07.2017 Album Review, Music

The self-titled album by Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie is in stores now and the collaboration has produced the best Fleetwood Mac album in years.

It’s hard to believe that it’s been 30 years since Fleetwood Mac vocalist and keyboardist Christine McVie has been in a recording studio with Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. The last time this happened was for the band’s 1987 long player “Tango In The Night.”

Since that time the band has reformed and toured with Christine and without Christine. The current touring line-up is the classic configuration that also includes Stevie Nicks. Unfortunately when it came time to regroup for a new Fleetwood Mac album Ms. Nicks decided it wasn’t the right time for her so what the fans end up with is “Buckingham McVie” a gorgeous 10 song set featuring Lindsey, Christine, Mick, John and Mitchell Froom on additional keyboards.

So why isn’t this album just called Fleetwood Mac? I’m not quite sure. The band recorded the “Say You Will” album in 2003 without Christine who was on sabbatical so why not call this Fleetwood Mac since it is their best album since the 80’s.

The 10 tracks on the album are definitely some of the best songs Buckingham has produced in years. His solo albums are usually a mix of pure pop perfection combined with a bunch of pretentious experimental BS. When Lindsey works with the members of Fleetwood Mac he shines and this set serves as proof. Of the 10 songs Buckingham wrote five on his own and three with McVie. McVie also contributes two solo compositions.

Every song on “Buckingham McVie” is a winner and by keeping it to just ten songs the two have crafted the best pop album released so far this year. The opener “Sleeping Around The Corner” starts with Buckingham whisper singing and then kicks into an amazing sing-a-long chorus that will have you playing the track immediately after your first listen. Lindsey and Christine’s voice blend perfectly and McVie’s vocals are miraculous. How does she still sound so good after all these years?

The next two tracks “Feel About You” and “In My World” continue in the same harmonious pop vein and I don’t think I have heard an pop album that starts this strong in many years. Every song is catchy, every chorus is perfectly crafted and the production is outstanding.

“Buckingham McVie” contains no filler. Every second of this 40 minute discs has been used to fill the listener with joy. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are the unsung heroes of this project as they were willing to put egos aside and do what they do best by playing their hearts out to make this the best Fleetwood Mac album in years. It’s far superior than the overblown “Say You Will” and if there’s never another official Fleetwood Mac release then I will be more than happy to follow the other four members under the moniker “Buckingham McVie.”

Pat Francis
Pat Francis currently hosts the popular comedy/music podcast “Rock Solid,” called 1 of the 8 great music podcasts to put in your ears by USA Today and featuring artists such as Melissa Etheridge, Sammy Hagar and Susanna Hoffs. His frequent appearances on Jimmy Pardo’s top rated podcast “Never Not Funny” are fan favorites. Pat began his entertainment career as a stand-up comic in Chicago, IL. After touring the country and performing in 42 states at comedy clubs and colleges, he relocated to Los Angeles, CA. There he appeared as a comedian on Comedy Central, AMC, the UCB and is a yearly regular at the San Francisco Sketchfest. For the past 5 years he has also served as Co-Host of the yearly event Pardcast-A-Thon which to date has raised over 700,000 for Smile Train. When not entertaining people in person he also makes his living as a Story Producer for reality television programs. It is also important to know that Pat is a monkey in a human mask.
http://www.popculturebeast.com

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-07-2017, 07:12 PM

^^^^ Great review!!
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That review states what I've said since the beginning, best FM studio album since Tango.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default about right

Alongside Your 78s
AN OLD MAN REVIEWS NEW MUSIC

https://alongsideyour78s.wordpress.c...ristine-mcvie/

New Music Spotlight: Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie
Posted on September 4, 2017 by alongsideyour78s

Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie was released on June 9th of this year.

Any self-respecting Baby Boomer will immediately recognize these names as two-fifths of the band Fleetwood Mac. That alone is enough to pique the interest, but then to learn that two more members – Mick Fleetwood and John McVie – are major contributors to the album, well, that should generate some real excitement.

Two questions must be asked regarding this new effort from this legendary band (or subset thereof). First, can they still bring it like they use to? And what about the disappointing absence of Stevie Nicks?

Regarding the first question – can they still bring it? There is no way to turn back the hands of time. If you’re expecting another Rumours, you’ll be disappointed. Comparisons, though unfair, are inevitable. Like you and me, these guys are a lot older than they used to be, and they don’t seem to attack their latest project with the passion that they used to. The lyrics are trite and the melodies are formula.

Where this album really shines is the music itself. The ten songs offered on this album were all written and sung by one of the two title bearers. And they all – in one way or another – will remind those of us entering the grandma era of one of the biggest bands of our generation.

Given a chance, the songs on this album are good enough to stand quite well on their own two feet, and they capture the spirit of those mid-seventies songs admirably. They make their point early in the album, as the opener, “Sleeping Around the Corner,” is the most unmistakably Fleetwood Mac song on the album. A short verse and then the chorus kicks in and two things hit you like a brick to the head: 1) these are the same guys who sang “Second Hand News” and 2) they want you to know it.

But this can’t be Fleetwood Mac without Stevie Nicks, right?. Unquestionably, her absence is glaring, as her unique vocals are the undeniable missing piece of the puzzle. The spotlight shone most brightly on Ms. Nicks during those glory days, and I won’t pretend that wasn’t as enamored of her as any. But it was Ms. McVie that wrote and sung the song that my wife and I chose to include in our wedding. “Songbird” from the Rumours album is a beautiful song featuring nothing more than Christine singing and playing piano.

songbird bside
“Songbird” was the B-Side for the single “Dreams.” Back in the Day.
Forty years later, that voice is instantly recognizable, surprisingly strong, and whole-heartedly welcome. And the same can be said for Buckingham’s contributions, and that beat that is uniquely Mick Fleetwood. Indeed, devoting the forty minutes it takes for a complete listen is like a visit with an old friend: In many ways they’ve changed and so have you. But then again, not as much as it seems.

Fun Facts.

This was supposed to be a Fleetwood Mac album.
Rumor is that all five had committed to the project, but Nicks’ other obligations caused a two-year delay and she finally backed out completely.
I also heard that originally, the album was to be called Buckingham McVie, patterned after the pre-Fleetwood Mac album Buckingham Nicks.
I have found two things on the album that could be interpreted as digs at Stevie Nicks. Curious if you can find them, too…or maybe even some I missed.
I listened for this album’s “Songbird.” “Game of Pretend” comes pretty close…but no.
An overriding thought as I considered what to say about Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie was that, being a Baby Boomer, I couldn’t be objective. I need a millennial opinion of this album. Any takers?

Here’s the album on Spotify

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"